• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CHVRCHES- Every Open Eye |OT| Clearest Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Speaking of which, apparently Hayley Williams had a guest appearance during that show.

Currently standing at the Charlotte show waiting for them to come on.

She did and it was insane! Just randomly came out to sing Bury It. Everyone lost their minds and the room was jumping.

You're in for a treat, last night was straight up incredible

ryseing

She did and it was insane! Just randomly came out to sing Bury It. Everyone lost their minds and the room was jumping.

Yeah it was a blast. Lauren was much more comfortable in front of the crowd than in videos I've seen of the band performing.

Just bummed there wasn't much Martin. Under the Tide was great but I would have killed for High Enough to Carry You Over.

Sai-kun

Banned

She fucking killed it, and now I want an album of Hayley replacing Lauren's vocals because her voice is insaaaaane

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
First time going through this album was tough, because I kept putting 'Keep you on my side' on repeat. I was addicted to that song for days hah. But now I've given it enough time and my favorite tracks so far are

Leave a Trace
Keep you on my side
Clearest Blue
High Enough to Carry You Over
Playing Dead

Everyone seems to love Down Side of Me, hasn't clicked with me yet. Make Them Gold is the weakest track imo, skip it every time.

Overall it's a good album, but not debut level

charpunk

Just saw them in Orlando and holy shit it was one of my favorite shows of all time. They sounded amazing, and Lauren was way more confident on stage. The light system they have is one of the best ones I have seen.

Really wish I saw they were playing in St Pete tomorrow because I totally would have went to that one instead.

Laruen said she's dressing up tomorrow for the show for you guys that are going to it.

Just saw them in Orlando and holy shit it was one of my favorite shows of all time. They sounded amazing, and Lauren was way more confident on stage. The light system they have is one of the best ones I have seen.

Really wish I saw they were playing in St Pete tomorrow because I totally would have went to that one instead.

Laruen said she's dressing up tomorrow for the show for you guys that are going to it.

Yeah! We saw them last night and it such a good show. I totally agree with you. We saw them last year when they were playing in the Ybor district of Tampa and that was great, but they really upped their game this year. We got their early, so there were only 2 people between us and the stage.

She went as Edward Scissorhands, although she was saying that she originally dressed Robert Smith from the Cure, but no one go it so she changed before coming out on stage.

Here's a pic my girlfriend snapped:
BeVrTUt.jpg

They were definitely better this time around than when I saw them in Ybor last year. Probably helped that the sound system wasn't as blown out at Jannus Live.

Even at the back of the venue, the show looked great.

Anyone going to the Dallas show tonight? Thinking of goinggggg but idk, supposedly we gonna get some rain + I'm bitter asf they haven't played Down Side of Me in their recent sets. A friend also wants me to go to the Blops 3 launch tonight also haha.

Also is the band meeting people after the show? My friend met them afterwards on their last tour but idk if they are still open to that.

RoKKeR

Don't know much about the band but I've run through the record once or twice in the past month. Clearest Blue is a fucking incredible song, I can't stop throwing it on repeat. The breakdown is like pure musical bliss, I crank it up when I get stressed out and it is strangely calming.

Anyways, needed to make my love for that song known. Need to do some catalogue exploration with this band.

Ghazi

Don't know much about the band but I've run through the record once or twice in the past month. Clearest Blue is a fucking incredible song, I can't stop throwing it on repeat. The breakdown is like pure musical bliss, I throw it on when I get stressed out and it is strangely calming.

Anyways, needed to make my love for that song known. Need to do some catalogue exploration with this band.

I'd recommend listening to The Bones of What You Believe, their only other studio album. I like it more, but I know there are varying opinions out there. I felt like it was much more memorable.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Went to the tour concert in Hamburg on Thursday and holy shit. This was freaking amazing. The light and video stuff was amazing, the bass was literally vibrating through bodies and floor, Lauren sang fantastic (I heard she has bad days, but dude. Dude. This was great) and the selection of tracks was like omg. Made me realize how much better I think the second album is even, compared to the fantastic first one.

I'm so incredibly hyped again since. Super disappointed when I couldn't find a merch stand, which seemed weird, but maybe it was just hidden somewhere.

If someone still manages to visit the current Euro tour, please please please bring me a tour shirt, male L or M :D I'll pay you in advance, with a bonus on top.

They just put out a new music video for Empty Threat, it's a pretty nice little piece.

Also, for those that don't venture over to gaming side, they're going to be headlining The Game Awards on December 3rd. Last year they had Imagine Dragons playing Zelda music alongside Koji Kondo, so I'm hopeful that we'll get to see Chvrches play some classic game music.

Ashhong

First time listening to this group other than their track with Eric Prydz. I LOVE 80s music. Therefore I love Chvrces, this album is fire so far.

Monocle

They just put out a new music video for Empty Threat, it's a pretty nice little piece.
Love this.

Also, for those that don't venture over to gaming side, they're going to be headlining The Game Awards on December 3rd. Last year they had Imagine Dragons playing Zelda music alongside Koji Kondo, so I'm hopeful that we'll get to see Chvrches play some classic game music.
Why not Grimes instead, so the audience can enjoy music that's original and not generic and actually good? I thought I heard Chvrches on the radio once but it turned out to be my cat farting into a synthesizer.

/s

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

Kind of surprising choice for a single IMO. This was immediately one of my favorites on the album but it didn't seem like one that people were that hot on when this came out.

SKINNER!

Banned
Just got tickets to see them at Glasgow Hydro. Fuck ticketmaster though. They had a countdown to the start of the presale and the second that counter went to zero the page refreshed to their "No tickets available" nonsense.

Thankfully I managed to buy tickets from the official Chvrches website via Crowdsurge.

YaBish

Figures that Death Cab is coming when they just played a festival in Omaha two years ago, but I wanted Chvrches to come too :(

Is Pure Bathing Culture any good live?

AHA-Lambda

Just saw them live tonight in Glasgow. Absolutely stellar!!

This is the 3rd time I've seen them and it was definitely the best. It's very apparent now how much Lauren's vocals have improved along with the increased production value.

Crowd was mental (seriously it was like a rock gig almost :/), and loved it, as did I :D

This is the 3rd time I've seen them and it was definitely the best. It's very apparent now how much Lauren's vocals have improved along with the increased production value.

Crowd was mental (seriously it was like a rock gig almost :/), and loved it, as did I :D

I was there too! Second time for me. They were great.

AHA-Lambda

I was there too! Second time for me. They were great.

Glad you had a great time! That crowd was insane! :D

The ONLY disappointment, and it's a small one, I'd have loved to hear them play Down Side of Me, that's my absolute favourite song of theirs. I'm not surprised though

Ashhong

The ONLY disappointment, and it's a small one, I'd have loved to hear them play Down Side of Me, that's my absolute favourite song of theirs. I'm not surprised though

Aw man they better play that when I see them!

ryseing

Sets need more Martin IMO. Only played one song of his when I saw them.

Glad to hear you had a good time. I was considering going to the Death Cab/Chvrches show near me but there's like four other concerts I want to go to in that two week radius.

I don't usually like pop sounding music, but love this band. They have such a great sound. Can't say I'm a fan of the guy singing, but everything else I like.

They will always remind me of when my son was born and his hospital stay after, we weren't in the best place mentally and my usual taste in music wasn't really fitting. This band really helped us to keep our spirits high though and we were listening to Empty Threat when the nurse gave us the news that my son would be coming home the following day.

AHA-Lambda

Sets need more Martin IMO. Only played one song of his when I saw them.

Glad to hear you had a good time. I was considering going to the Death Cab/Chvrches show near me but there's like four other concerts I want to go to in that two week radius.

Ah, they played 2 of Martin's last night, was great :)
Live crowds just always seem to go mental at his stuff :D

Monocle

I've been replaying this album a lot over the last week and it's reaffirmed my stance that people complaining about EoE sounding similar to Bones are fucking ridiculous. This band knows exactly what they're about, and they are insanely consistent. I love all but a meager handful of their tracks. So damn good.

Dany

Banned
I've been replaying this album a lot over the last week and it's reaffirmed my stance that people complaining about EoE sounding similar to Bones are fucking ridiculous. This band knows exactly what they're about, and they are insanely consistent. I love all but a meager handful of their tracks. So damn good.

I agree. Let's dispel with this fiction that Chvrches doesn't know what they're doing. They knows exactly what they're doing.

Ah, they played 2 of Martin's last night, was great :)
Live crowds just always seem to go mental at his stuff :D

I will say that I wasn't as big of a fan of Chris' songs on the album, but his energy and presence live is phenomenal. He did two songs back when they played here in Minneapolis and I was really floored at how much he just went for it.

AHA-Lambda

I will say that I wasn't as big of a fan of Chris' songs on the album, but his energy and presence live is phenomenal. He did two songs back when they played here in Minneapolis and I was really floored at how much he just went for it.

Yeah, it's so weird!

High Enough to Carry You Over is a pretty damn good song but the past 2 Chvrches gigs I've been to for whatever reason the crowd just goes wild at his stuff!

SKINNER!

Banned

I was there in the standing area. Great gig but Barrowlands one in 2014 still sounded better. Hydro acoustics/sound setup was baaaaaaad.

What surprised me about the show was how uplifting and energetic Every Open Eye is when heard live. Everyone was jumping and having a great time. It wasn't like that at their Barrowlands gig back in 2014.

deafmedal

I'm too old to give a shit about song names and who does what and such, but ever since GAF turned me on to Chvrches when their first album dropped I've been in love with their musical stylings. Went to see them at Stubb's in Austin last night with my wife and our 13 year old daughter (who will one day make a fine GAFfer lol) for her first real concert...

We had a blast! Great show and fantastic energy. Got to hear many of my favorite jams and we sang and danced the night away. Kid was upset she didn't get to hear Night Sky (had to listen to it this morning to know which one that was- old, remember ;) ) but loved it never the less.
9/10 would go again!

negitoro7

I've been playing Chvrches on repeat in my car non-stop ever since discovering them last year.

Favourite tracks include: Leave a Trace, Clearest Blue, Playing Dead, Bury It... oh heck I love almost all of them.

Have they ever been to Vancouver, Canada for a show?

TripOpt55

Got to see Chvrches again yesterday at Firefly Music Festival in Delaware. They were awesome. Lauren also came out on stage to do a song with Death Cab for Cutie (I guess they've been doing this on their recent tour together). It was pretty wild because Chvrches are my favorite band right now and Death Cab was my favorite back when I was in college. It was like a mash-up of two musical eras of my life.

I tried to take some pictures, but my phone is kind of old. I managed to get within 8-10 rows (so to speak) of the stage for Chvrches and Death Cab, so I was pretty close especially considering how big the festival was. Anyway, I will post a few pics. Maybe some will enjoy them (there are much less blurry ones around the web!):

The dress she was wearing looked cool when she twirled and spun and stuff. It would kind of fly outward. This is my third time seeing them and I'm going to try and see them every time they come my way if I can. I just love watching them play so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom