• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cinemablend calls out gaming press, accuses them of living in a Doritocracy

Ploid 3.0

I see what's happening as a parallel to the US elections.

Even as Obama pulled ahead in a clear, direct manner that was supported by statiticians and data, a gigantic percentage of the media always painted a too close to call picture. Willingly or not, ratings and viewership comes from close battles, not clear victories two weeks before the election.

The Wii U, of course, is Ron Paul :p

0e1ZME2.jpg

Ha ha, Wow, poes law in full effect.

Ha I would have put a /s or (s) at the end, but I thought it might ruin the effect.

Nah the audience would have no clue what a 1080p is. A lot of whispering would be heard. One guy would go "Oh snap!" Fallon would ask, "So what is 1080p?" Gaf would explode, "He forgot about the PC version? Cerny you disappoint me sir!"

A new Rocky looking in mirror gif will be made with Cerny face on the paper.

lol I never get tired of seeing that rocky gif. I saw a cool version of it about a week or two ago that was combined with the banderas gif. I was reading some discussion on the latest Naruto manga at the time.

The gist is that first it was Naruto staring at a picture on his mirror of 'someone', and then it immediately cut to banderas reading the latest Naruto manga chapter and reacting accordingly to Naruto owning the shit out of somebody. ;)

First of all, this is going to be long. It's also probably going to say a lot of things you already know. GAF is generally full of tech-savvy folks, and this thread has more of that than usual. So I know you already know about resolution and pixels and frame rates. Please don't take it as patronizing when I spell it all out. I'm just trying to "show my work", as it were.

Second, I want to apologize again for anything I said in this thread that anyone believes was disengenuous. I admit now that I wasn't as informed as I thought I was. I made a lot of assumptions based on past experience and things I read without doing my own research and introspection.

Last thing before I begin: I'm going to go ahead and say I still don't think there is evidence of a conspiracy or coverup in the games press. Speculate all you wish, but I think the real issue here is just a lack of real reporting. I'm sorry to have contributed to that for the brief time I did. Whether or not you believe the games press is trustworthy and has your best interests in mind (and I believe that in general they do), the fact that you feel like you can't trust a member of the press or "games journalism" as a whole is important, and it's not fair for me or anyone else to downplay that. If you think something in the industry stinks, it's clear that the industry needs to address it. If, after receiving an explanation, you still think something is fishy, that is your prerogative. All I or any other member of the press can do is present our case. We can't make you believe.

So, all of that said... I have made some interesting observations about resolution and performance. I'm sure they're observations that have been made before, so I don't want this to look like I'm taking credit for any groundbreaking research or anything. Much of it was sparked by posts in this thread that brought up interesting points. But it was important for me to find these answers myself rather than relying on anyone or anything else. My methods have attempted to use math and science in the best way I know how, but I'm not an A/V expert, computer scientist, or developer. These methods aren't perfect, but I think they can demonstrate the difference in resolution and performance between the PlayStation 4 and the Xbox One that the average person can expect. Here it goes...

Let's start with some simple undeniable facts.

1. The Xbox One and PlayStation 4 are very similar in terms of the actual hardware they use in their machines. They are both essentially custom x86 PCs. There are differences, however, not all of which are known to the general public.

2. The Xbox One and PlayStation 4 can both output native 1080p (1920x1080 pixels with progressive scan), which is considered full HD.

3. The Xbox One version of Battlefield 4 runs at 720p upscaled to 1080p on a supported display. The PlayStation 4 version of the game runs at 900p. (This resolution isn't a commonly-referenced one, but it's 1600x900 pixels.)

4. The Xbox One version of Call of Duty: Ghosts runs at 720p upscaled to 1080p on a supported display. The PlayStation 4 version of the same game runs natively at 1080p.

Resolution measures the number of pixels in a video stream or display. It is noted by horizontal times vertical — the number of columns of pixels times the number of rows. Figuring out the exact number of pixels in a video stream or display is as simple as multiplication. Therefore, the number of pixels in a 1080p video (1920x1080) is 2,073,600. The number of pixels in a 720p video is only 921,600.

And here's where the problem begins. If you weren't an expert you may assume that the difference between 720p and 1080p is only 360p. That's about 33%. A significant difference, sure. But how large of a difference? However, the total pixel count proves that the difference is actually about 55%, meaning the number of pixels in 1080p is more than double that of 720p.

"Double" is a number people tend to understand. Saying something is twice as fast, twice as big, or twice as good has weight. That's why people seem to care so much that the PlayStation 4 outputs twice the number of pixels as the Xbox One for a particular game. It's not insignifcant. On paper, anyway.

As far as upscaling goes, it's little more than resizing a smaller image to fit a bigger display. That means that in order to show a 720p video on a 1080p display, the device has to blow up that image. It's not perfect, and upscaling can introduce visual artifacts or make existing visual flaws more apparent. As an example, if you took a 100x100 pixel image (like your GAF avatar) and used an image editor to blow it up to 200x200, you could still make out what the image is, but it would be more blurry.

So far, I haven't told you anything you don't already know or you couldn't work out yourself with simple math. But here's the question: what do we do with the knowledge that the PS4 version of Ghosts has double the pixels of the Xbox One version? We could just put the discussion to rest and say that the PS4 is twice as powerful as the Xbox One. But having seen how similar the specs of both systems are, that doesn't seem to add up. So where's the discrepancy?

(As a side note, I believe that very question — "Why doesn't this add up?" — is what has led several press folks to post the op-ed pieces they have. My concern after looking into this issue more is that they didn't do enough research and testing.)

The approach that I've taken with this issue even up until last night sounds like a reasonable one at first — don't make any snap judgements or false conclusions without having all the facts. And since we don't have either system in our hands, we can't put them through their full paces. While I still believe that it's not wise to shoot first and ask questions later, one of the biggest flaws in that argument is that we don't have to completely withhold analysis right now. Even though we don't have the full picture, we can gather all the information we have, do real-world tests, and figure out what we do know.

So we're starting to get to the crux of the matter, but there's still one more factor to consider: much of the games press who is suggesting that there is not much visual difference between multiplatform Xbox One and PS4 games are doing so based on comparison captures from Battlefield 4, NOT Ghosts. The difference between those two versions is much smaller — only about 500,000 pixels instead of 1 million. So the only evidence that Kyle Orland and others have that 720p is "not that different" from 1080p is not even taking 1080p footage or screenshots into account. That's problem one.

Here's the second problem, and after looking into it, I'm honestly baffled and embarrassed — with all the suggestions about how most people probably won't notice the difference between 720p and 1080p, I can't find any evidence that anyone claiming the difference is negligible has actually tested it. It's all based on assumptions and bad math. Even I fell prey to this. What's more confusing is that this isn't that difficult of a test to perform. So I did.

Based on the latest information I was able to find, I believe that it's safe to assume that the average TV in America is about 46" and the average viewing distance is somewhere around 12-14 feet. (Of course, your situation is probably not identical. That's why these are averages.) There are a handful of viewing distance charts you can find online that purport to show the distance at which you'll be able to tell the difference between resolutions at a given screen size. Kyle Orland's article includes one, and according to that one, the average TV owner should only "need" 720p.

Based on the numbers I pulled, that 720p figure seemed a little suspect to me, so I decided to test it as closely as possible with my own setup. So I tried some different games at different resolutions on my PC at an equivalent viewing distance based on my screen size. Again, not perfect, but the math is correct so it should be pretty close. What I found was that at the US average distance and screen size, I could pretty easily tell the difference between 1080p and 720p. However, it's not quite as clear cut as the numbers would suggest. Even though there are twice the number of pixels, would I call the games in 1080p "twice as good"? No. It's completely subjective and impossible to put a number on, but jaggies were much more apparent at the lower resolution, and things just seemed seemed a little muddy.

One important thing to consider here is that this obviously wasn't tested with Xbox One's upscaler because I don't have access to that console. No one does. We don't know how good or bad it is. But no matter its quality, I now believe based on my own tests that the difference between 720p and 1080p should be noticeable almost immediately to attuned eyes, and even to the untrained or non-gamer if they know what to look for.

So now that I've talked resolution absolutely to death, I'm going to wipe the slate clean and say this: the biggest issue here isn't really about resolution at all. The resolution is an indicator of larger problems. Some others in this thread have hinted at it. I'm going to attempt to demonstrate the difference in a more concrete way. This is where it gets dicey, but bear with me...

Let's go back to Ghosts for this part. Infinity Ward have made it very clear that the decisions they've made in resolution on each platform are so they could hit the target frame rate of 60 frames per second that the Call of Duty series is known for. As far as I am aware, we don't have known-good high-quality captures of the game on either next-gen system, so for the sake of this argument let's just assume that the game runs at the exact same video quality on each machine, with the only difference being resolution.

We know that there are a wide variety of resolution options available to developers to pump their game out. This is made pretty clear based on BF4 targeting 900p on PS4. I am not a developer, but my assumption here is that if Infinity Ward could get Ghosts running at a reliable 60 frames per second on Xbox One at 1080p or 900p or any other resolution, they would do it. But what they chose was 720p. Based on what we covered about total pixel count above, this choice suggests (but not proves) that the PlayStation 4 could actually be as much as 55% more powerful than the Xbox One in practice.

Since we can't run real benchmarks on both of the systems right now, and we won't be able to even when we get them in our hands, we don't have any way of knowing that number exactly. But if we assume that IW pushed Ghosts to the maximum allowable resolution they could while still maintaining an average 60 frames per second, the best difference I can calculate between the two console's graphics performance would roughly equate to the difference betwen a GeForce GTX 680 (PS4) and a GTX 560 (Xbox One). The former is a high-end $500 card that's a little over a year old, the latter came out almost three years ago and costs around $100 today. That's not nearly as close as I once believed.

If Kotaku's article is to be believed (and I don't have any reason to question it), developers are torn on the issue. Some say it's just a matter of the Xbox One SDKs not being as robust right now, that they might catch up in the future. Others suggest the problems are more ingrained and systemic and they might never get better. We don't know which is true. We can only make decisions based on the information we have today. For some consumers, by the time the Xbox One is released, it could be too late to make an informed decision.

So, based on the information I've found through research and my own personal testing, I have to believe that the PS4 is a more powerful machine by far, and that it's the machine that anyone who cares about visual fidelity should go for. The price difference and Microsoft's hostile attitude towards consumers this generation have made the choice easier for many people. But even if those weren't a factor, even if these machines cost the exact same and existed in a vacuum separate from their respective company's rhetoric, the choice seems pretty clear. Unless you are swayed by Xbox One's exclusive titles, its controller, or its online community, the PS4 is the clear choice.

Don't get me wrong here: I want the Xbox One to be a good console. Competition is great for both sides, and I don't wish ill on anyone who has chosen to buy the Xbox One. Furthermore, I want to play Titanfall and Dead Rising 3 and Halo at 1080p, 60 frames a second. I hope its performance improves. But I don't feel like I can bank on that today.

I was wrong to argue that the peformance difference was negligible. I was wrong to dismiss those who felt like they were being betrayed. I was wrong to not question the opinionated conclusions of others in the press who apparently haven't tested this issue themselves in a real-world scenario.

Truce?

Ploid 3.0

Based on the numbers I pulled, that 720p figure seemed a little suspect to me, so I decided to test it as closely as possible with my own setup. So I tried some different games at different resolutions on my PC at an equivalent viewing distance based on my screen size. Again, not perfect, but the math is correct so it should be pretty close. What I found was that at the US average distance and screen size, I could pretty easily tell the difference between 1080p and 720p. However, it's not quite as clear cut as the numbers would suggest. Even though there are twice the number of pixels, would I call the games in 1080p "twice as good"? No. It's completely subjective and impossible to put a number on, but jaggies were much more apparent at the lower resolution, and things just seemed seemed a little muddy.

Good post, the highlight is why I pick my monitor's native resolution on my PC's small monitor (1680x1050) and 1080p for it's second gaming normal big screen tv display. Picking anything below it just makes the image blurry and pixelated/a lot of aliasing. Downsampling makes it look even better, but require more power (I need to upgrade my gpu soon). Because the PS4 is doing a lot of games at 1080p it's kinda flexing it's graphical capabilities to me. I hope less games dip below 1080p for PS4, with Xbox One I just would hope more are 1080p.

jschreier

I see what's happening as a parallel to the US elections.

Even as Obama pulled ahead in a clear, direct manner that was supported by statiticians and data, a gigantic percentage of the media always painted a too close to call picture. Willingly or not, ratings and viewership comes from close battles, not clear victories two weeks before the election.

The Wii U, of course, is Ron Paul :p
These analogies to elections and sports competitions are indicative of a console-war-driven perspective that just seems immature to me. I enjoy watching corporations bash one another just as much as the rest of you -- being at Sony's presser was the highlight of my E3 -- but this idea that there is a "winner" and a "loser" when it comes to next-gen consoles is really quite silly.

Ploid 3.0

It appears WiiU is definitely losing in any case. :(

If GTA5 comes to PS4 Xbox One because of more people to add to GTAO (after beta is done ;) ), and skip WiiU that would suck for WiiU only owners that don't have PC.

hawk2025

These analogies to elections and sports competitions are indicative of a console-war-driven perspective that just seems immature to me. I enjoy watching corporations bash one another just as much as the rest of you -- being at Sony's presser was the highlight of my E3 -- but this idea that there is a "winner" and a "loser" when it comes to next-gen consoles is really quite silly.

Wow, I figured the " :p " and the Ron Paul punchline would give the joke away.

trinest

I like how people think there will be massive uptake for the Xbox one and PS4. So far everything this gen (as in next gen) has been "flops", 3DS, Vita, Wii U etc.

Ateron

Great post Josh! I read it all the way and you raise good points.

Very informative and zero bs in it. If only more people would take a similar stance, things would be better for all of us.

Pimpwerx

If Josh's post was an article, I'd say good job, but it's basically what's been said ad nauseam since the two systems were announced. The difference in hardware performance isn't a subjective matter, it's hard fact. The difference that will translate to on the screen is all up to the devs, but the PS4 has considerably more horsepower, which will reveal itself more and more over time. PEACE.

fade_

I think you should stop believing that there is or can ever be one singular bias in the games press, and start acknowledging that individual writers have different beliefs and biases. Find the ones you trust. The games press is not a singular entity. Stop thinking that it is. And, no, I can't imagine that anyone who has ever followed my work even a tiny bit would think that I have some sort of favoritism for Microsoft.

Never said you personally. and never said the press is a single entity. Please don't put words in my mouth. Surely these individual writers have editors? And these editors answer to people higher than them? My point is that there has been bias and to not talk about it or dismiss it as paranoia is just as dumb as painting everyone as shills with broad strokes.

Well, the 2008 election and this upcoming console launch have a ton in common. They're both running on virtually identical platforms except one party decided to severely hamstring themselves for no reason in particular. Plus, even if the outcome of the actual election might be inconsequential in the broader picture and both parties will stick around for years to come regardless of who the winner is, the press has more to gain from the actual drama than anyone else does.

Again, it's not fair to leverage the "don't see it as a console war, fanboy" argument because the press themselves are fervently trying to stay unbiased on an issue they think hinges on having biases, and it's remarkably similar to how network TV always tries to find "the opposing view" for every topic even if it's not actually a valid one. If the intention was just to report on the actual facts of each as a piece of consumer hardware outside of mutual comparisons, as opposed to painting a "balanced" picture of both consoles and the pros and cons of each, then stuff like "720p vs 1080p is negligible" doesn't make sense because the same outlets stated the exact opposite when the stakes weren't as high.

"We don't want to be accused of bias" is a terrible reason to not call things like they are, for any party.

jschreier

Well, the 2008 election and this upcoming console launch have a ton in common. They're both running on virtually identical platforms except one party decided to severely hamstring themselves for no reason in particular. Plus, even if the outcome of the actual election might be inconsequential in the broader picture and both parties will stick around for years to come regardless of who the winner is, the press has more to gain from the actual drama than anyone else does.

Again, it's not fair to leverage the "don't see it as a console war, fanboy" argument because the press themselves are fervently trying to stay unbiased on an issue they think hinges on having biases, and it's remarkably similar to how network TV always tries to find "the opposing view" for every topic even if it's not actually a valid one. If the intention was just to report on the actual facts of each as a piece of consumer hardware outside of mutual comparisons, as opposed to painting a "balanced" picture of both consoles and the pros and cons of each, then stuff like "720p vs 1080p is negligible" doesn't make sense because the same outlets stated the exact opposite when the stakes weren't as high.

"We don't want to be accused of bias" is a terrible reason to not call things like they are, for any party.
Oh, I'm with you there, Mr. call_kotaku. A reporter's job is to tell the truth, not to strive for some unattainable goal of objectivity.

That wouldnt even be allowed where I work, you cant accept ANY personal gifts from clients.

This is how it is with many companies I work with too, employees cant accept any incentives personally, everything must go through the company.

This is bribery.

This is why a company like Shell could pay for an ad in a paper, but if they pay the gas bill of one of the reporters directly it would be kind of wonky no?
I guess after working in politics, it just seems normal to me - lol.

JABEE

I think you do see press outlets approach stories with this angle. Ben Kuchera of Penny Arcade certainly does. GameTrailers platform is based off of the "console war." IGN has separate "console teams" that run podcasts and stories that thrive on these console fights. Eurogamer and Digital Foundry do the same thing with their comparisons.

I don't believe it's fair to portray this console war storyline as something that the media is above or do not contribute to in substantial ways.

I would also like to say that this idea of "winners" and "losers" is 100% a part of the press's portrayal of trade shows and systems.

The press vote on "Game of the Show," "Game of the Year," write reviews with objective indicators of quality that are used on sites like Metacritic to determine the "winner" games and the "loser" games.

I don't believe that the press as it exists is above this phenomenon. Sites build their scoring systems and editorial guidelines on these types of conflicts.

The Sessler video that people are talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf2iVUMRD3A

To sum up the video:
  • Microsoft didn't have a policy problem with DRM just a messaging problem (continued through most of the video)
  • If you include playstation plus and playstation eye PS4 is actually more expensive then the Xbox one
  • The "angry internet mob" changed XBO policies instead spending time on something more useful
  • We don't have enough information about PS4 and Sony and is talking down from the ivory tower just like Microsoft is
  • Sessler isn't a biased fanboy, but anyone criticizing him a very very sad fanboy that only derives his identity from the company he argues for

Worse is the fact that preceding this, he made a video pretty explicitly telling his viewers to stop preordering PS4s in the wake of the Microsoft DRM story coming to light. This plea was based on nothing but his own, self-manufactured FUD that Sony would be doing the same thing with their DRM, even though we already had direct quotes from Sony executives saying they absolutely wouldn't.

Xilium

That .gif will probably go down as my greatest contribution to NeoGAF. Nothing else I've ever said or done here comes close to getting quoted as much.

Creating a .gif or an image caption is probably the best way to get quoted here on GAF. Especially reaction .gifs since they have such broad use.

Having a good first response would probably be the next best thing. Being in the first ~50 post might be fine but after that, your post is likely to get largely ignored unless it's really long, very offensive/disagreeable, or it has an image.

baphomet

All of these videos just prove how out of touch these people are with actual gamers. It's fucking embarrassing. You want to be completely unbiased for reviewing? Buy the game with your own money, and get off the publishers fucking tit. When you're afraid of any consequence, no matter how small, for what you say, you're going to be biased. All game reviews are highly overrated to begin with. When bonuses and percentages from sales depend on high metacritic scores the publisher is going out of their way to make sure you're going to rate the game highly even when it doesnt deserve it. Fancy trips, dinners, racing Ferrari's, etc. going to that automatically voids your opinion on a game. Then you go out of your way not to disclose things like that.

None of these people are journalists, they're basically pr disguised as unbiased third parties.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
You know, on the flipside of things, if you're a budding critic looking to get a foothold in this particular industry, now is the chance. If you've got a good head on your shoulders and be willing to put in the work, you could gain traction and earn an audience.

wildfire

Banned
Could it be that Microsoft is perceived to have a favorable gaming media bias solely because they are a western company, and Sony is not?

Because the same thing is kind of happening with Apple and Samsung. Forget Google and Android for a minute and take them out of the discussion (because that's what most major American news media outlets do when discussing Apple/Samsung issues). Apple is seen as the darling, American, genius company out of sunny happy California, while Samsung is seen as the Korean foreign outsider attempting to (and succeeding with) taking business away from an American company.

Hell, when it comes to the patent wars, even the President of the United States gave Apple a pass when some of their products were banned, but a few weeks later, refused to do the same for Samsung.

Kind of OT, but I sort of see parallels between the two.

There is definitely a lot of nuanced psychology that is making people biased. That's why I refuse to say even most of them are doing it because they are being paid off. Sometimes it's just about ego. Other times it's a lack of courage.

Whether or not you believe the games press is trustworthy and has your best interests in mind (and I believe that in general they do), the fact that you feel like you can't trust a member of the press or "games journalism" as a whole is important, and it's not fair for me or anyone else to downplay that. If you think something in the industry stinks, it's clear that the industry needs to address it. If, after receiving an explanation, you still think something is fishy, that is your prerogative. All I or any other member of the press can do is present our case. We can't make you believe.

That means that in order to show a 720p video on a 1080p display, the device has to blow up that image. It's not perfect, and upscaling can introduce visual artifacts or make existing visual flaws more apparent.

So far, I haven't told you anything you don't already know or you couldn't work out yourself with simple math. But here's the question: what do we do with the knowledge that the PS4 version of Ghosts has double the pixels of the Xbox One version? We could just put the discussion to rest and say that the PS4 is twice as powerful as the Xbox One. But having seen how similar the specs of both systems are, that doesn't seem to add up. So where's the discrepancy?

(As a side note, I believe that very question — "Why doesn't this add up?" — is what has led several press folks to post the op-ed pieces they have. My concern after looking into this issue more is that they didn't do enough research and testing.)

Even though we don't have the full picture, we can gather all the information we have, do real-world tests, and figure out what we do know.

I can't find any evidence that anyone claiming the difference is negligible has actually tested it. It's all based on assumptions and bad math. Even I fell prey to this. What's more confusing is that this isn't that difficult of a test to perform. So I did.

One important thing to consider here is that this obviously wasn't tested with Xbox One's upscaler because I don't have access to that console. No one does. We don't know how good or bad it is. But no matter its quality, I now believe based on my own tests that the difference between 720p and 1080p should be noticeable almost immediately to attuned eyes, and even to the untrained or non-gamer if they know what to look for.

If Kotaku's article is to be believed (and I don't have any reason to question it), developers are torn on the issue. Some say it's just a matter of the Xbox One SDKs not being as robust right now, that they might catch up in the future. Others suggest the problems are more ingrained and systemic and they might never get better. We don't know which is true. We can only make decisions based on the information we have today. For some consumers, by the time the Xbox One is released, it could be too late to make an informed decision.

So, based on the information I've found through research and my own personal testing, I have to believe that the PS4 is a more powerful machine by far, and that it's the machine that anyone who cares about visual fidelity should go for. The price difference and Microsoft's hostile attitude towards consumers this generation have made the choice easier for many people. But even if those weren't a factor, even if these machines cost the exact same and existed in a vacuum separate from their respective company's rhetoric, the choice seems pretty clear. Unless you are swayed by Xbox One's exclusive titles, its controller, or its online community, the PS4 is the clear choice.

Note to other members of the gaming press. This is mostly how you do it. There isn't a need for apologies. Just offer more analysis and fact checking and less opinion since you have the superior resources and opportunity to do so than your average audience member.

Oh, I'm with you there, Mr. call_kotaku. A reporter's job is to tell the truth, not to strive for some unattainable goal of objectivity.

Then there's no reason for the "this is the truth, but here's why it doesn't matter" stance some members of the press has had towards so many things that have come to light recently, like DRM (or lackthereof), paywalls, power differences, resolution, etc.. I don't believe for a second that there's actual bribery at work (or something less direct but achieving the same ends), because logistically it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. However, I think the press works too hard to try and enforce some sort of parity and push the "two new consoles! wow!" narrative instead of "how come everything we know so far about this console has been bad news?".

If there's no good news about the Xbox One and no bad news about the PS4, then just report it as such and let people come to their own conclusions. If "the truth has a Sony bias", then there's no reason to tiptoe around it and focus on absolutely hypothetical and conjectural advantages of the Xbox, like some within the press are doing for resolution and have done for DRM.

Jomjom

Banned
Article post

Really well researched and written Josh.

Funny how you can write an article that is fair and based in fact without stating things like "Xbox One gives you cancer" or "PS4 is the second coming of Christ." I've heard quite a few people posit that strawman argument that people on GAF won't be satisfied unless those kind of things were written.

Worse is the fact that preceding this, he made a video pretty explicitly telling his viewers to stop preordering PS4s in the wake of the Microsoft DRM story coming to light. This plea was based on nothing but his own, self-manufactured FUD that Sony would be doing the same thing with their DRM, even though we already had direct quotes from Sony executives saying they absolutely wouldn't.

That wasn't. He said not to preorder any system, and he gave good reasons that didn't just deal with DRM. Hell, he still stands by not to preorder on a bunch of promises and advertising from BOTH companies until solid information is released. Also, those episodes aren't released on the day of recording. At the time of recording, there may not have been tweets or whatever from Sony.

It was only taking a step back from the situation instead of entering one side or the other. We didn't know everything we do now at the time, and no one was taking a solid stance. Sessler isn't a great gamer, he probably has little clue on the technical aspects that we salivate over on here, and he tends to get in his own way regarding applying his education to his work. But he doesn't have an agenda against Sony, or for Microsoft, or even against Nintendo.

I could be wrong about his person though. 6 months from now I could be eating crow. I just haven't seen anything to really paint the man as being likely in the pocket of Microsoft.

Stronty

Most press have editors, they are the gatekeepers who decide what gets printed and what gets axed, the writers eventually anticipate what their editor will print, so they essentially either self censor or bake in some sort of agenda or spin.

Reminds me of a movie reviewer who would write bogus movie reviews since he never watched any of the films. How many game reviews have you read where the author reviewed an unfinished game or spent 10 minues with a debug build of the game to make a deadline.

I don't know who Josh Holloway is (should I?) but that post was well worth the time it took to read. A really thoughtful and intelligent post, thank you.

Serick

Married Member
First of all, this is going to be long. It's also probably going to say a lot of things you already know. GAF is generally full of tech-savvy folks, and this thread has more of that than usual. So I know you already know about resolution and pixels and frame rates. Please don't take it as patronizing when I spell it all out. I'm just trying to "show my work", as it were.

Second, I want to apologize again for anything I said in this thread that anyone believes was disengenuous. I admit now that I wasn't as informed as I thought I was. I made a lot of assumptions based on past experience and things I read without doing my own research and introspection.

Last thing before I begin: I'm going to go ahead and say I still don't think there is evidence of a conspiracy or coverup in the games press. Speculate all you wish, but I think the real issue here is just a lack of real reporting. I'm sorry to have contributed to that for the brief time I did. Whether or not you believe the games press is trustworthy and has your best interests in mind (and I believe that in general they do), the fact that you feel like you can't trust a member of the press or "games journalism" as a whole is important, and it's not fair for me or anyone else to downplay that. If you think something in the industry stinks, it's clear that the industry needs to address it. If, after receiving an explanation, you still think something is fishy, that is your prerogative. All I or any other member of the press can do is present our case. We can't make you believe.

So, all of that said... I have made some interesting observations about resolution and performance. I'm sure they're observations that have been made before, so I don't want this to look like I'm taking credit for any groundbreaking research or anything. Much of it was sparked by posts in this thread that brought up interesting points. But it was important for me to find these answers myself rather than relying on anyone or anything else. My methods have attempted to use math and science in the best way I know how, but I'm not an A/V expert, computer scientist, or developer. These methods aren't perfect, but I think they can demonstrate the difference in resolution and performance between the PlayStation 4 and the Xbox One that the average person can expect. Here it goes...

Let's start with some simple undeniable facts.

1. The Xbox One and PlayStation 4 are very similar in terms of the actual hardware they use in their machines. They are both essentially custom x86 PCs. There are differences, however, not all of which are known to the general public.

2. The Xbox One and PlayStation 4 can both output native 1080p (1920x1080 pixels with progressive scan), which is considered full HD.

3. The Xbox One version of Battlefield 4 runs at 720p upscaled to 1080p on a supported display. The PlayStation 4 version of the game runs at 900p. (This resolution isn't a commonly-referenced one, but it's 1600x900 pixels.)

4. The Xbox One version of Call of Duty: Ghosts runs at 720p upscaled to 1080p on a supported display. The PlayStation 4 version of the same game runs natively at 1080p.

Resolution measures the number of pixels in a video stream or display. It is noted by horizontal times vertical — the number of columns of pixels times the number of rows. Figuring out the exact number of pixels in a video stream or display is as simple as multiplication. Therefore, the number of pixels in a 1080p video (1920x1080) is 2,073,600. The number of pixels in a 720p video is only 921,600.

And here's where the problem begins. If you weren't an expert you may assume that the difference between 720p and 1080p is only 360p. That's about 33%. A significant difference, sure. But how large of a difference? However, the total pixel count proves that the difference is actually about 55%, meaning the number of pixels in 1080p is more than double that of 720p.

"Double" is a number people tend to understand. Saying something is twice as fast, twice as big, or twice as good has weight. That's why people seem to care so much that the PlayStation 4 outputs twice the number of pixels as the Xbox One for a particular game. It's not insignifcant. On paper, anyway.

As far as upscaling goes, it's little more than resizing a smaller image to fit a bigger display. That means that in order to show a 720p video on a 1080p display, the device has to blow up that image. It's not perfect, and upscaling can introduce visual artifacts or make existing visual flaws more apparent. As an example, if you took a 100x100 pixel image (like your GAF avatar) and used an image editor to blow it up to 200x200, you could still make out what the image is, but it would be more blurry.

The approach that I've taken with this issue even up until last night sounds like a reasonable one at first — don't make any snap judgements or false conclusions without having all the facts. And since we don't have either system in our hands, we can't put them through their full paces. While I still believe that it's not wise to shoot first and ask questions later, one of the biggest flaws in that argument is that we don't have to completely withhold analysis right now. Even though we don't have the full picture, we can gather all the information we have, do real-world tests, and figure out what we do know.

So we're starting to get to the crux of the matter, but there's still one more factor to consider: much of the games press who is suggesting that there is not much visual difference between multiplatform Xbox One and PS4 games are doing so based on comparison captures from Battlefield 4, NOT Ghosts. The difference between those two versions is much smaller — only about 500,000 pixels instead of 1 million. So the only evidence that Kyle Orland and others have that 720p is "not that different" from 1080p is not even taking 1080p footage or screenshots into account. That's problem one.

Here's the second problem, and after looking into it, I'm honestly baffled and embarrassed — with all the suggestions about how most people probably won't notice the difference between 720p and 1080p, I can't find any evidence that anyone claiming the difference is negligible has actually tested it. It's all based on assumptions and bad math. Even I fell prey to this. What's more confusing is that this isn't that difficult of a test to perform. So I did.

Based on the latest information I was able to find, I believe that it's safe to assume that the average TV in America is about 46" and the average viewing distance is somewhere around 12-14 feet. (Of course, your situation is probably not identical. That's why these are averages.) There are a handful of viewing distance charts you can find online that purport to show the distance at which you'll be able to tell the difference between resolutions at a given screen size. Kyle Orland's article includes one, and according to that one, the average TV owner should only "need" 720p.

So now that I've talked resolution absolutely to death, I'm going to wipe the slate clean and say this: the biggest issue here isn't really about resolution at all. The resolution is an indicator of larger problems. Some others in this thread have hinted at it. I'm going to attempt to demonstrate the difference in a more concrete way. This is where it gets dicey, but bear with me...

Let's go back to Ghosts for this part. Infinity Ward have made it very clear that the decisions they've made in resolution on each platform are so they could hit the target frame rate of 60 frames per second that the Call of Duty series is known for. As far as I am aware, we don't have known-good high-quality captures of the game on either next-gen system, so for the sake of this argument let's just assume that the game runs at the exact same video quality on each machine, with the only difference being resolution.

We know that there are a wide variety of resolution options available to developers to pump their game out. This is made pretty clear based on BF4 targeting 900p on PS4. I am not a developer, but my assumption here is that if Infinity Ward could get Ghosts running at a reliable 60 frames per second on Xbox One at 1080p or 900p or any other resolution, they would do it. But what they chose was 720p. Based on what we covered about total pixel count above, this choice suggests (but not proves) that the PlayStation 4 could actually be as much as 55% more powerful than the Xbox One in practice.

Since we can't run real benchmarks on both of the systems right now, and we won't be able to even when we get them in our hands, we don't have any way of knowing that number exactly. But if we assume that IW pushed Ghosts to the maximum allowable resolution they could while still maintaining an average 60 frames per second, the best difference I can calculate between the two console's graphics performance would roughly equate to the difference betwen a GeForce GTX 680 (PS4) and a GTX 560 (Xbox One). The former is a high-end $500 card that's a little over a year old, the latter came out almost three years ago and costs around $100 today. That's not nearly as close as I once believed.

Don't get me wrong here: I want the Xbox One to be a good console. Competition is great for both sides, and I don't wish ill on anyone who has chosen to buy the Xbox One. Furthermore, I want to play Titanfall and Dead Rising 3 and Halo at 1080p, 60 frames a second. I hope its performance improves. But I don't feel like I can bank on that today.

I was wrong to argue that the peformance difference was negligible. I was wrong to dismiss those who felt like they were being betrayed. I was wrong to not question the opinionated conclusions of others in the press who apparently haven't tested this issue themselves in a real-world scenario.

Truce?

You went from making me want to hide all of your posts to the complete opposite feeling with this post.

Skeff

One important thing to consider here is that this obviously wasn't tested with Xbox One's upscaler because I don't have access to that console. No one does. We don't know how good or bad it is.

The XB1 upscaler is the same as on any AMD 7xxx card as it is part of the GPU.

If you were using a 720p picture upscaled to a 1080p resolution on your PC with n AMD 7XXX, then you have the same upscaler, This is also the same upscaler as the PS4.

EDIT: good post though.

There is no such thing as "gaming journalism".

It's an entertainment medium. It's not different from other entertainment mediums, where the "news" is just another way to hype and promote the industry.

You should no more expect a hard hitting piece of journalism from IGN than you would expect from TV Guide or Soap Opera Digest or Sporstcenter. No, they'll call crappy shows that nobody should watch "groundbreaking" and they'll tell you teams that are awful are "exciting" and "improving".

There is no such thing as "gaming journalism".

It's an entertainment medium. It's not different from other entertainment mediums, where the "news" is just another way to hype and promote the industry.

You should no more expect a hard hitting piece of journalism from IGN than you would expect from TV Guide or Soap Opera Digest or Sporstcenter. No, they'll call crappy shows that nobody should watch "groundbreaking" and they'll tell you teams that are awful are "exciting" and "improving".

Being a freelance game features writer, I'd say there's actual journalism in the game industry; stories that explore developer/studio processes and backgrounds, game industry history, stories on how games affect the personal lives of people, and critical analysis of video game mechanics and trends, etc. These stories just don't get as much attention as the usual news/press release articles.

Another problem is that some do not practice journalistic ethics like most journalists in other entertainment media.

I've said this before on NeoGAF, but I think the big question is, why does that resolution difference exist? If the answer is "because the Xbox can't hit that," that's a huge concern. If the answer is that Infinity Ward got their devtools late, then that's significantly less of a concern. I'm not going to tell you not to care about resolution differences, but I'm much more interested in the big picture. I have no plans to buy either console at launch, anyway. (When people ask me what system they should buy this fall, I tell them 3DS.)

Forgive me if I'm still catching up on this thread but a thought on this post of yours.

If CoD devs just got their devtools late and couldn't reach 1080p for launch because of that hurdle, then ok fine. If it was just one or two 3rd party games we could possibly waive that off.

However, we have (correct me if I'm wrong) FIRST PARTY titles like Killer Instinct running at 720. This isn't even a large map/campaign level game either. It's a fighter FFS. A fighter with only 2 characters on screen at a time, maybe 4 characters for a split second if they tag out in a 2v2 fight or something. It's NOT a game that should be pushing the graphical limits of the system.

If MS's own internal studios can't get a game like KI up to 1080p, did they get their toolkits late? I mean I (sorta) understand that MS was tweaking graphics drivers or something right up until the last minute, but if you have Forza running at 1080p then surely you should be able to reach that level with a bloody fighter.

And if they couldn't, then the questions are these:

1. Are the Killer Instinct devs just not as good as the Forza 5 devs?

2. If so, why?

3. If not, if they are good devs, why are they not able to reach 1080p with a fighter? Is it a system architecture (aka too small of an eSRAM pool for frame buffers) issue or is it something else since obviously 1080p/60 is at least POSSIBLE as evidenced by Forza 5?

4. If it truly is just inept developers at the helm, why doesn't MS bring in better talent to stay competitive?

And lastly, as it applies to all games not just KI's team:

5. If the XB1 is experiencing these issues now, then what happens at the 4-5 year mark? Presumably by year 2-3 they will better "grasp" memory management with the eSRAM and be pushing out 1080/60 games (we hope), but PS4 developers will become more familiar with THOSE tools over time TOO. It's not like PS4 games have already peaked and XB1 games are going to come up to that level eventually. Neither console has peaked yet, and judging by launch the PS4's peak is just going to be that much higher.

Also, regarding the XB1 development reaching 1080p/60fps, that's assuming game geometry, level size, physics models, AI load, etc all stay stable/flat. We know these other factors are going to grow over time, putting more load on the system. When that happens, will the system's arguably weaker architecture force whatever workarounds that were discovered to be reduced in order to leave room for these other factors to increase over time? Because if that's the case, then CBOAT was right as usual and 720p/900p are going to be pretty much the norm and 1080 the exception. Or at least it will be for AAA titles. Budget titles and shovelware, and XBLA titles, might be a different story.

The bolded part is the KEY here. Graphics are great, but gameplay matters, and with the rise of Indies gameplay SHOULD matter even more while graphics MIGHT take a back seat. In that sense, there's a solid chance for the XB1 to stay competitive no matter what if it fosters good Indy growth. HOWEVER, if the system architecture causes devs to make sacrifices on the AI, physics, etc due to bottlenecks or what have you, then my gameplay is directly impacted by MS's cost-cutting decisions in the console's conception.

The 720p vs 1080p argument carries so much weight and emotion with gamers because it means so much more than just resolution. It's a symptom of what could (potentially) be a much larger, much more serious problem that could ultimately effect gameplay, and in a negative way, come the mid-point of these consoles' life cycle.

So with all that being said, I think most of the readers' frustration is that the press is ONLY looking at this issue from the standpoint of "you can't see too much difference between 720p and 1080" and isn't focusing on what that will probably mean long-term for gamers this gen. Why aren't you or other press members examining it from that angle?

Top Bottom