• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CING files for bankruptcy

CO_Andy

How Capcom can get away with releasing the comparatively low budget Phoenix Wright astounds me. The game was ported to and fro on every system imaginable, so CING could of gotten away with porting had they not stuck with Nintendy as a publisher.

duckroll

Eteric Rice said:
Are they completely out of business, or are they going to have to reform?

Maybe they should try mobile games for a while, until they can build up a nest egg again?

Let's be honest, when we're talking about a tiny company of under 30 employees going bankrupt, what IS there to "reform" really. They've made 7 games in 10 years of operation. I really doubt there is anything to restructure here. It's not some corporation which can downsize and cut off the unprofitable parts of the company. :p

trinest

Wow thats.... :/
It sucks majorly for me in some respects because Another Code inspired me all those years ago to continue making websites after in one year I went from "potentional awesome site" to "wow you screwed up", then again in the end I did that to the site which I made for the game but anyway...

Starwolf_UK said:
What does this mean for international releases of Again: Eye of Providence (Tecmo is publishing) and Last Window?
The release for Again only just got set in stone- and Last Window has only been trademarked in the UK.

duckroll said:
What is unfortunate is that all their recent titles bombed hard. Again, Another Code R, Last Window - all total bombs. It's definitely not the production value of their games which killed them, but their failure to sell. We could blame Tecmo and Nintendo for lack of marketing, but ultimately what's done is done.
Sale wise though don't their games seem to sell better in Europe?

Magypsy23 said:
Now I feel guilty for not having bought AGAIN yet.
I preordered it from America even before the release date was announced- thats badass expecially considering I don't even live their.

crazy monkey said:
Little king story was amazing game :(
LKS was a Dream Team effort- meaning people from a few different companies worked on it, I don't think their was a major ammount of people from Cing working on the game- I think it was more from people like Marvalious and Toy Factory, but yeah they just used everyones resoruces to make the game pretty much.

duckroll said:
The last company info update on their site listed 29 employees. The entire site is gone now, so you'll have to check under Google Cache or Wayback Machine.
So that explains why their site was gone yesturday- was making an article about Again, and wanted to link to them as a "developer site" link.

Earl Cazone said:
oh noez. i hope last window will release here nevertheless.
Least in Europe dam it! (then I can import and everyone else who wants it can do the same) and it will be less risky then releasing it everywhere then noone wanting it.

Explains also why NAL avoided Another Code: R

MYE said:
Nooooooooooooooooooooo

Who's gonna make LKS 2 now?

:(

The other developers who worked on it maybe?

Bentendo said:
What about HAL? HAL was millions in debt and the president went to Yamauchi and asked to be saved. Yamauchi agreed to buy HAL on the account that they develop games exclusively for Nintendo.

I doubt a similar thing would happen here though. :(
True, the only thing Cing has going for it is the fact that they for this gen have been exlusivly working on Nintendo games instead of Playstation etc. games.

Jcgamer60 said:
What are the chances of Last Window (Hotel Dusk 2) being localized?

I do not want some crappy fan translation :(
Most likely in Europe (considering they have trademarked the name- their closer then everyone else).

----
So Duckroll seems to be an expert on this matter, instead of rabbid fan predictions etc. what will happen to them? I assume they will die- but if say Nintendo would give them a hand out- or buy them and use them as one of their studios etc. what is likely in that regard?

Eteric Rice

duckroll said:
Let's be honest, when we're talking about a tiny company of under 30 employees going bankrupt, what IS there to "reform" really. They've made 7 games in 10 years of operation. I really doubt there is anything to restructure here. It's not some corporation which can downsize and cut off the unprofitable parts of the company. :p

I kind of meant a different business strategy. Such as going from making handheld and console games to making cell phone, xbox live/wiiware/psn games.

Just to keep them in business until they can get enough money to get back on their feet.

I still say Nintendo should buy them up. From what I've heard, finding good programmers/game designers is hard in Japan.

Jcgamer60 said:
What are the chances of Last Window (Hotel Dusk 2) being localized?
Well, Last Window has been trademarked in Europe so it may be getting a release there. (Which wouldn't be surprising since Another Code R got released there too.)

As for North America, who knows? NoA seems allergic to any sort of niche titles right now. Hopefully it'll be announced at E³.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
CO_Andy said:
How Capcom can get away with releasing the comparatively low budget Phoenix Wright astounds me. The game was ported to and fro on every system imaginable, so CING could of gotten away with porting had they not stuck with Nintendy as a publisher.

If both Another Code and Hotel Dusk are owned by Nintendo, what's left for Cing to port?

duckroll

CO_Andy said:

Here are the Japanese sales for PW games:

Full price titles:
2001 - Phoenix Wright (GBA) - 62k
2002 - Phoenix Wright 2 (GBA) - 116k
2004 - Phoenix Wright 3 (GBA) - 161k
2005 - Phoenix Wright (DS) - 117k
2007 - Phoenix Wright 4 (DS) - 515k
2009 - Miles Edgeworth (DS) - 303k

Budget re-releases:
2002 - Phoenix Wright (GBA) - 66k
2003 - Phoenix Wright 2 (GBA) - 54k
2006 - Phoenix Wright (DS) - 254k
2006 - Phoenix Wright 2 (DS) - 214k
2007 - Phoenix Wright 3 (DS) - 195k
2008 - Phoenix Wright (DS) - 96k
2008 - Phoenix Wright 2 (DS) - 74k
2008 - Phoenix Wright 3 (DS) - 80k

How does Capcom "get away with it" you ask? Capcom gets away with it by releasing games people want to buy, and releasing it again and again as long as people want to buy it. There's a huge growth curve for the series, something Cing has never ever had.

trinest

bernardobri said:
If both Another Code and Hotel Dusk are owned by Nintendo, what's left for Cing to port?
Again. They could also port Glass Rose from the PS2 to current gen. Also their mobile titles they have developed around the time they made Glass Rose as well.

duckroll

trinest said:
So Duckroll seems to be an expert on this matter, instead of rabbid fan predictions etc. what will happen to them? I assume they will die- but if say Nintendo would give them a hand out- or buy them and use them as one of their studios etc. what is likely in that regard?

I'm hardly an "expert" in this matter. At this point, no one knows for sure what will happen, but considering the size of the company and the sort of assets they have, I would say it is very likely they'll just go out of business and wind up the company.

Again, I think it is unlikely Nintendo will see much benefit in bailing the company out seeing how the only 2 IPs they have with Nintendo have shown huge decline in the sequels. Nintendo of America not even wanting to publish Another Code R seems to be indication enough to me that the "overseas" prospect of Cing games is in question as well.

trinest said:
Again. They could also port Glass Rose from the PS2 to current gen. Also their mobile titles they have developed around the time they made Glass Rose as well.
That's a money-winning proposition for a team of 30, make a current-gen game.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
trinest said:

I wouldn't expect a commercial failure like Again giving a sales spin into other consoles, especially considering that the DS is "the" console on Japan right now.

Glass Rose was published by Capcom, also. I don't know which company owns the rights, in any case.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
duckroll said:
Here are the Japanese sales for PW games:

Full price titles:
2001 - Phoenix Wright (GBA) - 62k
2002 - Phoenix Wright 2 (GBA) - 116k
2004 - Phoenix Wright 3 (GBA) - 161k
2005 - Phoenix Wright (DS) - 117k
2007 - Phoenix Wright 4 (DS) - 515k
2009 - Miles Edgeworth (DS) - 303k

Budget re-releases:
2002 - Phoenix Wright (GBA) - 66k
2003 - Phoenix Wright 2 (GBA) - 54k
2006 - Phoenix Wright (DS) - 254k
2006 - Phoenix Wright 2 (DS) - 214k
2007 - Phoenix Wright 3 (DS) - 195k
2008 - Phoenix Wright (DS) - 96k
2008 - Phoenix Wright 2 (DS) - 74k
2008 - Phoenix Wright 3 (DS) - 80k

How does Capcom "get away with it" you ask? Capcom gets away with it by releasing games people want to buy, and releasing it again and again as long as people want to buy it. There's a huge growth curve for the series, something Cing has never ever had.

Not to mention the very loyal USA and European markets that buy many of the Ace Attroney games.

Let me in

[vader] Noooooooooooo :( :( :(
Guess this means I'm probably not getting my Last Window localization.
This is adding insult to injury after that fake promo video for it.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Not to mention the very loyal USA and European markets that buy many of the Ace Attroney games.
I'm interested in how CING's titles have been doing in Europe. I heard that Another Code R sold decently there but haven't seen any numbers for it.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
loosus said:
First, what is "direction?" That's an extremely broad term. That sounds like, basically, you're saying that Nintendo needs to tell them to stop making the games that they actually know how to make and start making something more mainstream -- thus, why "save" CING to begin with?

Nintendo does let some of their developers go wild; aka skip Ltd. I was referring more to getting their games more attention and polishing the gameplay to appeal to a larger audience. You act like making a game more mainstream is a bad thing entirely; mainstream games can still be excellent. New Super Mario Bros. Wii is a good example. Besides, Nintendo still has new Metroid games developed right? Nothing mainstream about the Metroid franchise.

loosus said:
Second, what makes Nintendo's "direction" almighty? It cannot change people. Hell, Rare and Left Field fell apart under Nintendo, for instance.

I wouldn't say Rare fell apart under Nintendo. Rare was starting to have problems, but seeing it continued under Microsoft they weren't to blame. Nintendo essentially let them make the game they wanted to just with Star Fox thrown it for franchise recognition.

Nintendo never owned a majority stock in Left Field, just a minority. Left Field in 2002 bought out all of Nintendo's shares. Nintendo is not responsible for any of their games past 2002.

loosus said:
Third, why pick CING to do this with? There are countless amounts of videogame studios that need "direction."

Cheap. Why the fuck pick up Monolith Soft? Nintendo doesn't need a reason.

duckroll

Hcoregamer00 said:

The series only arrived in English starting with the DS ports though. By that time, the Phoenix Wright series had already made more unit sales in Japan than Cing's entire portfolio in their entire existence up to today.

To compare the two is just silly, which was my point. :)

loosus

Banned
ICallItFutile said:
Nintendo does let some of their developers go wild; aka skip Ltd. I was referring more to getting their games more attention and polishing the gameplay to appeal to a larger audience. You act like making a game more mainstream is a bad thing entirely; mainstream games can still be excellent. New Super Mario Bros. Wii is a good example. Besides, Nintendo still has new Metroid games developed right? Nothing mainstream about the Metroid franchise.
CING's games are inherently not mainstream. If you don't want Hotel Dusk-esque games, then why do you want Nintendo to bail out CING to begin with?

ICallItFutile said:
I wouldn't say Rare fell apart under Nintendo. Rare was starting to have problems, but seeing it continued under Microsoft they weren't to blame. Nintendo essentially let them make the game they wanted to just with Star Fox thrown it for franchise recognition.

Nintendo never owned a majority stock, just a minority. Left Field in 2002 bought out all of Nintendo's shares. Nintendo is not responsible for any of their games past 2002.
The point is that ownership by Nintendo doesn't necessarily create a sustainable business model.

ICallItFutile said:
Monolith Soft a.) pays for itself and/or b.) adds something that (at least in Nintendo's opinion) is important enough to Nintendo's brand and feels it cannot otherwise get in-house. CING doesn't fit that categorization.

EDIT: I think the funniest thing is that you think Monolith Soft was an impulse buy for Nintendo, as if Nintendo was just shopping in a retail store and thought, "Hmm, maybe we'll try this one!" :lol

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
duckroll said:
The series only arrived in English starting with the DS ports though. By that time, the Phoenix Wright series had already made more unit sales in Japan than Cing's entire portfolio in their entire existence up to today.

To compare the two is just silly, which was my point. :)

Well, I think my point compliments yours well because some of Cing's titles did not get a USA release, while the Ace Attorney franchise built a very loyal and strong following in USA by getting more and more USA releases.

You can't build a market if you stop releasing games in the states (I am looking at you NAMCO).

duckroll

ICallItFutile said:

Monolithsoft is a developer of considerable size, with experience in developing RPGs on consoles and portables, with a proven sales record. Are you seriously attempting to compare Monolithsoft with Cing here? That's not just stupid, but completely illogical.

Monolithsoft was formed in 1999, the same year Cing was. Wanna take a look at their sales record to date in comparison?

2002 - Xenosaga Ep1 - 439k
2003 - Xenosaga Ep1 Reload - 14k
2003 - Baten Kaitos - 108k
2004 - Xenosaga Freaks - 25k
2004 - Xenosaga Ep2 - 256k
2005 - Namco x Capcom - 131k
2006 - Xenosaga I+II - 21k
2006 - Xenosaga Ep3 - 181k
2006 - Baten Kaitos II - 44k
2008 - Soma Bringer - 100k
2008 - Super Robot Wars OG Saga - 120k
2008 - Disaster - 27k
2009 - Dragonball Kai - 192k
2010 - Super Robot Wars OG Saga Exceed - 79k (first week)
2010 - Xenoblade - Upcoming

What do you think is more valuable to Nintendo? A developer who can actually release multiple games a year, every single year, and still generate good sales, or a developer who takes 2 years to make an adventure game which sells 30k?

loosus said:
Monolith Soft a.) pays for itself and/or b.) adds something that (at least in Nintendo's opinion) is important enough to Nintendo's brand and feels it cannot otherwise get in-house. CING doesn't fit that categorization.
I wouldn't say that just yet. As recently as two months ago, Nintendo was still working with CING. And there is still the possibility of localizations for Last Window and maybe even Another Code R. (Though that's a very long shot now sadly.)

Obviously Nintendo still had some interest in working with them. And since this bankruptcy filing has just happened, I think it's too soon to say that Nintendo won't intervene eventually.

We'll just have to wait and see how this plays out.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
A Link to the Snitch said:
Maybe we'll get lucky and if Nintendo doesn't want to publish Last Window, Atlus or XSEED can?
That's pretty much what I'm hoping. Just leave Ignition out of the loop.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
loosus said:
CING's games are inherently not mainstream. If you don't want Hotel Dusk-esque games, then why do you want Nintendo to bail out CING to begin with?

Again, Nintendo does allow for their developers to make their own projects. Monolith Soft is making an RPG, which they are known for. I'm sure with CING it would be the same thing just with "direction" from Nintendo.

loosus said:
The point is that ownership by Nintendo doesn't necessarily create a sustainable business model.

That has nothing to do with what you were saying. Nintendo will support and direct their studios even after failed projects. Regarding Rare, the Stamper Bros. sold their majority stock to Microsoft with Nintendo following suit, seeing their competitor now owned the company.

loosus said:

a) Yes because Disaster was such a huge hit.
b) You can't say that for certain.

Celine

CO_Andy said:
How Capcom can get away with releasing the comparatively low budget Phoenix Wright astounds me. The game was ported to and fro on every system imaginable, so CING could of gotten away with porting had they not stuck with Nintendy as a publisher.[/QUOTE]
Porting isn't the problem.
Most Cing adventure sold poorly because people weren't interested in them in the first place.
AC and HD sold well in Japan but even then they can't be comparable to the popularity o the Gyakuten Saiban series.
Apollo Justice sold over half million copies in Japan alone.
It's incredible result for the genre.

Edit:
Ducky beat me to it.

I had always kind of thought I wanted to try Hotel Dusk sometime. I never knew much about the VN genre (though I played the hell out of Phoenix Wright 1) and now maybe I won't get to play this? :(

duckroll

ICallItFutile said:
a) Yes because Disaster was such a huge hit.
b) You can't say that for certain.

Since Nintendo bought a majority stake in Monolithsoft, they have generated over 500k in unit sales. That's more than Cing has generated in their entire lifetime. I would say that's a good indication of how much more successful Monolithsoft is. :p

Unknown Soldier said:
I had always kind of thought I wanted to try Hotel Dusk sometime. I never knew much about the VN genre (though I played the hell out of Phoenix Wright 1) and now maybe I won't get to play this? :(
The first Hotel Dusk is still available at a good price. Tell your friends!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Jangaroo said:
That's pretty much what I'm hoping. Just leave Ignition out of the loop.

I want Ignition to be awesome, but they really stink.

duckroll

Monolithsoft is also a well rounded developer filled with 3D modelers, level designers, texture artists, etc. A good example of how Nintendo made use of that talent is by putting them on Super Smash Brothers Brawl's adventure mode. Seriously, do NOT compare them with a tiny developer like Cing.

trinest said:
To late now.
It's never too late to play a good game.

Also, CING's only chance at some retribution right now is if Nintendo decides to give Last Window a chance in the English market. Nintendo could start with some commercials for Hotel Dusk, they seem to have no problem making commercials for other old DS games like Mario Kart & Brain Age.

(I know this is NoA we're talking about.) ;_;

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's too bad. But then again, their games are so niche that it's hard to be surprised when something like this happens.

Last Window and Another Code R though... I wish these could be saved for the NA market somehow.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
duckroll said:
Monolithsoft is a developer of considerable size, with experience in developing RPGs on consoles and portables, with a proven sales record. Are you seriously attempting to compare Monolithsoft with Cing here? That's not just stupid, but completely illogical.

Monolithsoft was formed in 1999, the same year Cing was. Wanna take a look at their sales record to date in comparison?

2002 - Xenosaga Ep1 - 439k
2003 - Xenosaga Ep1 Reload - 14k
2003 - Baten Kaitos - 108k
2004 - Xenosaga Freaks - 25k
2004 - Xenosaga Ep2 - 256k
2005 - Namco x Capcom - 131k
2006 - Xenosaga I+II - 21k
2006 - Xenosaga Ep3 - 181k
2006 - Baten Kaitos II - 44k
2008 - Soma Bringer - 100k
2008 - Super Robot Wars OG Saga - 120k
2008 - Disaster - 27k
2009 - Dragonball Kai - 192k
2010 - Super Robot Wars OG Saga Exceed - 79k (first week)
2010 - Xenoblade - Upcoming

What do you think is more valuable to Nintendo? A developer who can actually release multiple games a year, every single year, and still generate good sales, or a developer who takes 2 years to make an adventure game which sells 30k?

I think Nintendo along with any publisher has the potential to turn around a failing company. I think a better question is why did Namco-Bandai give Monolith Soft up?

duckroll said:
Since Nintendo bought a majority stake in Monolithsoft, they have generated over 500k in unit sales. That's more than Cing has generated in their entire lifetime. I would say that's a good indication of how much more successful Monolithsoft is. :p

Cing has 29ish employees while Monolith soft has over 80; that's not a fair comparison. Even if Nintendo split Cing up the employees would still have jobs, which for them is more important.

trinest said:
To make them finish Disaster: Day of Crisis- which was one hell of a game.

Too bad the sales didn't reflect that.

-

I'm not saying Monolith Soft = Cing, but I believe the same rules can be applied.

EDIT:

duckroll said:
Monolithsoft is also a well rounded developer filled with 3D modelers, level designers, texture artists, etc. A good example of how Nintendo made use of that talent is by putting them on Super Smash Brothers Brawl's adventure mode. Seriously, do NOT compare them with a tiny developer like Cing.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. The same could be applied to Cing. Even if the sales are poor, put them on projects where their talent can be used.

I don't think anyone should expect CING to be like Monolith Soft. Totally different approaches.

But I do think CING could benefit from some intervention from Nintendo (or another company), they might not make the most mainstream games but they do provide unique and memorable gaming experiences.

I think they have something that's worth saving, hopefully others (with the means to change this situation) will see that.

duckroll

ICallItFutile said:
I think Nintendo along with any publisher has the potential to turn around a failing company. I think a better question is why did Namco-Bandai give Monolith Soft up?

They didn't give Monolithsoft up though. They still own a chunk of Monolithsoft, it is a misconception that Nintendo owns 100% of the company. Nintendo bought a majority stake in Monolithsoft, but not all of it. Namco Bandai still uses Monolithsoft, as you can see from the SRW OG Saga and Dragonball Kai games.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I only bought Hotel Dusk from CING. I'm sorry GAF I didn't help keep CING alive :(

However, this is just bankruptcy, so we will see how the procedure will go. Hopefully, though, Nintendo buy them out so we can continue to enjoy their games.

trinest

Cing I think is a candiate for takeover, one because it would be quite cheap, two it will add unqiue and interesting developers to their resources and three because of their IPs which they own (not from a developing more point of view, but from a using them in other games and IPs etc point of view).

Also will they be still functioning like American businesses which delacare bankrupcy or is Japanese bankrupcy law different?

Celine

trinest said:
Cing I think is a candiate for takeover, one because it would be quite cheap, two it will add unqiue and interesting developers to their resources and three because of their IPs which they own (not from a developing more point of view, but from a using them in other games and IPs etc point of view).

Also will they be still functioning like American businesses which delacare bankrupcy or is Japanese bankrupcy law different?
Wouldn't a buyer need first to repay the debt (US$ 2.5 million ) so it isn't really that cheap.
Also the 2 most important Cing IPs , AC and HD, are most likely co owned by Nintendo.

So I really don't understand people on this thread that think that Nintendo baling out Cing would be a good move when Nintendo could simply let die the company and re hire the talents if they wish to continue develop Visual Novel ( new Detective Club on Wiiware Nintendo, make it happen ! )

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
duckroll said:
They didn't give Monolithsoft up though. They still own a chunk of Monolithsoft, it is a misconception that Nintendo owns 100% of the company. Nintendo bought a majority stake in Monolithsoft, but not all of it. Namco Bandai still uses Monolithsoft, as you can see from the SRW OG Saga and Dragonball Kai games.

You're right. Nintendo owns 80%, which Namco Bandai sold to them, while Namco Bandai now owns 16%. That's close enough to giving them up.

Celine

ICallItFutile said:
You're right. Nintendo owns 80%, which Namco Bandai sold to them, while Namco Bandai now owns 16%. That's close enough to giving them up.
On why Namco gave away the majority of Monolith to Nintendo, is because Nintendo owned some share of Bandai ( 3-4% I think ) and when Namco and Bandai merged Nintendo gave back their shares and in exchange Namco gave Monolith to Nintendo.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Do we even know how Nintendo ended up with MonolithSoft? Was it really a shares trade? We know Nintendo doesn't like to acquire companies, but maybe the trade for MonolithSoft was a business decision worth taking? I doubt CiNG is in the same position here.

Celine

jj984jj said:
Do we even know how Nintendo ended up with MonolithSoft? Was it really a shares trade? We know Nintendo doesn't like to acquire companies, but maybe the trade for MonolithSoft was a business decision worth taking? I doubt CiNG is in the same position here.

Q3
Bandai-Namco issued a release about your purchase of Monolith Software. Have you changed your position that you will not do M&A (mergers and acquisitions)? Or, is this an exception? What is the purpose?
A3
When we say we do not do M&A, there are always exceptions, so let me explain about it. We have never said that we will never do M&A in any situation. Actually, we are not against M&A if Nintendo can absorb the real value of the company. However, in most cases, the value of software developing companies is attached to its people, not the company, which is merely a vessel for its people. So, when we purchase a company, we can purchase the vessel, but we cannot necessarily purchase the contents. Even if we should compete with others to purchase a software company, although we might be able to increase the sheer number of our developers and to gain a short-term result, we do not think it will do good for us in the long run. We have been repeatedly saying that we will not do that kind of M&A.
In the case of Monolith Software, Mr. Sugiura, the president, and Nintendo have a long-term relationship. How Mr. Sugiura thinks is close to how Nintendo thinks. The software Mr. Sugiura would like to create is in line with what Nintendo would like to have for its platform. So, we thought that Nintendo should support this idea, and we decided to take action.
If certain conditions are met, we may do the same thing in the future (M&A). However, we will be very careful and selective, so that we will only partner with people with whom Nintendo can create a long-term working relationship.

loosus

Banned
I like how a few folks think that, just because there might be some talent at CING, Nintendo should kill for the opportunity to have them work at Nintendo. :lol I mean, you're making two big assumptions: a.) that Nintendo is looking to expand or fill positions and b.) that there is nobody outside of CING they'd rather have in those positions.

iammeiam

While on the one hand this sucks, on the other it's not like NoA was ever going to freaking release any of the games I want anyway so it's not like I'm really going to notice.

I think the worst part is that there totally is a market out there for the Trace Memory/Hotel Dusks of the world, it's just that somehow the games aren't tapping into it. My mother plays almost nothing but hidden object, puzzle, and adventure games on her DS. She loved both Trace Memory and Hotel Dusk, but never would have found them without my directing her to them.

Basically I think The Last Window could sell a crapload in the US if it was set up as similar to the eight million Agatha Christie/Sherlock Holmes/Women's Murder Club/Etcetcetc adventure games pitched to the masses. The sheer volume of those releases has to indicate a fairly stable market; Cing might take too long on the individual titles, but the audience for them isn't nonexistent in the US.

I seriously hope this doesn't interfere with Europe getting a translation of the Hotel Dusk sequel (I've given up on NoA, but they got Another Code R, so they were more likely to get Last Window); I'll import two from whichever company in whichever country releases it in a language I can read.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
loosus said:
I like how a few folks think that, just because there might be some talent at CING, Nintendo should kill for the opportunity to have them work at Nintendo. :lol I mean, you're making two big assumptions: a.) that Nintendo is looking to expand or fill positions and b.) that there is nobody outside of CING they'd rather have in those positions.
I don't think anyone here thinks that. People are just hoping that the company can be kept alive so we can keep getting their great games.

seady

Man they were one of the more interesting developers that tried to steer away from the mainstream products...

loosus said:
What "positions" are you talking about? I think most people are hoping that CING will be left intact and just be owned by Nintendo or another parent company.

Top Bottom