• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization: Beyond Earth announced, Fall 2014, PC [Trailer, Details]

Wow, spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri. I said this day would never come.

Just give me terraforming, planetbusters, and space elevator+jumpjet troops.

In my dream scenario, they're also getting the original writers to do the flavor text for the techs and secret projects. The writing really was a large part of the heart and soul of Alpha Centauri.

It's been stated in an interview that although there are winks and nods to Alpha Centauri, they really want this game to be its own thing.

They have said that the player will develop a narrative through the questlines and the choices that the player makes throughout the game.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
30,720 x 17280 = 530,841,600 pixels.

9000fps would make it 4,777,574,400,000 pixels a second.

Inferno sounds more realistic than hot.

Well, is there's no 3d rendering going on, and pixels are only updated on a "ifmodified" basis, with some clever programming tricks, you could probably run it pretty easily, proven an infinitesimal quantity of movement is going on.

Problem is, you also need a response-controlled screen for that amount of bandwidth, since 4.7TB/sec is, uh, pretty far off.
We also really need, possibly, entities that can be 'moved' by adding pixels forward and removing them in the back, rather than re-drawn every frame. Something like, say,
1051897-pacman.png

Haha, holy shit, I could not be any more excited to hear this. It doesn't sound like there is planet hopping, but I'm more than happy to play a Space Civ game because now that's actually a thing.

Lomax

All I want from a SMAC successor (or any game in the genre) is the terrain manipulation that SMAC did. Fifteen years later and what I assumed would become the standard for the genre has never been done again since. Yes, the simplistic graphics of the era made it easier to do, but I'm sure something at least similar could be come up with that would combine the unique tile sets with the ability to manipulate them and a weather system based as such.

Damn, now I want to go play SMAC again.

Kurtofan

Interview and Info Dump:

Indie Retro News
Gamespot
Game Informer
Joystiq
Kotaku
PC Gamer

Edit: There will be 8 playable factions. We know three of them, and can infer more from the trailer

• American Reclamation Corporation
  • Brazilia
  • Panasian Cooperative
  • Egypt-based faction
  • French-based faction
  • Somali/Pan-African-based faction (hinted at here)

That leaves two more.

My guesses are maybe another Europe based faction, and an Indian or other Asian faction.

So it's space civ with Space America, Space Brazil etc...? I'm cool with that.

Sepp

Banned
There's three different "ideals", Purity (specific goal is to preserve humanity, move settlers in, xenophobicish, big and bulky/tanky, lotso guns), Harmony (more alien oriented, spread out more, lots of movement options etc.), and Supremacy (robots, technology, cybernetics, want to ascend humanity etc.).

Not sure whether I like that to be honest.

Seems like its afraid of being political.

Well, at least compared to SMAC, where all kinds of ideologies were present, in variations, like Militarism, Technocracy, Totalitarianism, Theocracy, Capitalism, Ecologism, Democracy, Liberalism etc.

I think they're trying to go with a PoE-style web instead of clearly-defined paths. So the ideologies are probably just starting points on the web.

Sepp

Banned
I think they're trying to go with a PoE-style web instead of clearly-defined paths. So the ideologies are probably just starting points on the web.

Well part of the fun of SMAC was that every faction/leader was associated with a certain ideology/playstyle.

I think with this they will go even further, at least when it comes to playstyle, which admitted could be great.

Somehow it reminds me of Zerg vs Humans vs Proton from Starcraft ;-)

Myomoto

Interview and Info Dump:

Indie Retro News
Gamespot
Game Informer
Joystiq
Kotaku
PC Gamer

Edit: There will be 8 playable factions. We know three of them, and can infer more from the trailer

• American Reclamation Corporation
  • Brazilia
  • Panasian Cooperative
  • Egypt-based faction
  • French-based faction
  • Somali/Pan-African-based faction (hinted at here)

That leaves two more.

My guesses are maybe another Europe based faction, and an Indian or other Asian faction.

Russia and China?

Top Bottom