• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization Revolutions 2 Plus - Now out on Vita (in the EU)

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Same price as XCOM+!
I could actually consider it(maaaaaany years ago i tried a civilization game but it didn't get me).

panda-zebra

Hard to believe I'm tempted to purchase Vita games after so long. Hoping for more info on this one (Civilization Revolution was the game that pushed me to buy a ps3)... or I might just cave anyway and go buy it.

So played a bit today. It can be a bit slow and counter intuitive. (Double clicking X to move for example). Also I wish I could turn off the fighting/resting animations to speed things along.

Otherwise it's all there and I'm having fun. The trophies look turbo time consuming however!

UCBooties

I guess this isn't coming to NA. Based on impressions from this thread I guess I'll have to import the English Asian version.

Symphonic

I know iOS reactions were negative when it first came out. Anything changed since then? What extra is included with Plus?

I know iOS reactions were negative when it first came out. Anything changed since then? What extra is included with Plus?

When you download the game you also get some "East Asian scenario pack" or something downloading as well

Not played any more today but will post more when I do.

Kovacs

If when I bought my Vita at launch and having seeing the promised lineup of released you'd have told me that a couple of years later that it would be a target for iOS ports I'd have laughed.

But, there are some great iOS games and plenty that would be improved by proper thumbsticks and buttons - and a number have joypad support backed in - so titles like this could bring a new lease of life to the console if anyone other than 2K take a chance.

I'll hold off until I see some reviews though.

Honome

Damn, now i am really tempted to buy this and xcom... but there's already a hole in my wallet caused by dark souls 3 and dirt rally.

anddo0

CazTGG

Question: I rather liked the original Civilization Revolution on DS. How does the sequel fare in comparison?

Honome

Not bad.

Why not get both?

I just can't get hyped for DS3. I want it, but the excitement isn't there. I may hold off until summer/fall.

That's exactly the problem, i want both but money is really short :(

Gonna have to hold a couple of months since i already pre ordered ds3 and dirt rally.

nampad

Some executive over at Take 2 must be thinking: "hey, let's not release any games for the Vita just until nampad wants to save some money." :/

ascii42

I've been waiting for this since the Vita came out. Time to never sleep again.

I see that like XCom, it disables multitasking.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Played this for a few hours today and man is it fun. It stutters just a bit during battles but nothing bad. Totally playable and totally fun.

Just played through a random map and enjoyed it. Never played the first game so not sure what is different, if anything, but it all felt pretty fresh to me. The tutorial is very basic, which isn't a problem if you are familiar with the Civ formula or are prone to experiment, however even then it leaves you to figure out some subtle things about the interface yourself. Not a big deal overall, but figure it is worth mentioning.

Nice to see stuff like the civilopedia make it over as well. I dig it.

How are the load times? (I loathe load times!)

And is this a straight port of the 2014 cell phone game? Any improvements for the vita version?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
How are the load times? (I loathe load times!)

And is this a straight port of the 2014 cell phone game? Any improvements for the vita version?

Aside from the initial loads, it was fine. I think there are some exclusive campaigns/leaders for this Vita version.

CazTGG

So, it's alright. I definitely prefer the original better, if only because there was some bite to other civilizations in balancing out diplomacy and conquering. In CR 2 Plus, once you've gotten a boat unit of any sort, you've won the game. Admittedly, that might be a bit of an overstatement since it still takes a while to win through warfare and longer still through culture, etc. (though in every scenario thus far i've been ranked 1st in all four win conditions) but not long enough to enter into the modern era (in almost every scenario, I was able to win with a catapult army) as the AI is just terrible. I have yet to play a single scenario where any of the world leaders have come into contact with one another i.e. formed alliances, pay a given nation to wage war with you, etc. The load times are long, the sound effects are cliche and I believe to be recycled from the original in slightly higher quality and the graphics are downright ugly. It's still fun to plan out how your nation will function and where to allocate resources, government and so on, but the AI makes a lot of that planning pointless since they pose very little threat even on higher difficulties and next to none on the lower ones. Can't really recommend it for the time being unless you're a huge fan of the first one. Otherwise, your tactical fix is better satisfied elsewhere.

The AI is downright stupid in this version. They don't seem to explore the map and go after the barbarian villages. After winning a few deity games easily I ordered myself a cheap copy of the original game on DS which is far more challenging.

Top Bottom