• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V |OT| of Losing My Religion, And I Feel Fine...

If it's a nation I'm equal/ahead of in points, I'll agree to it. If I'm behind, or its a science-heavy nation, I usually won't, unless I'm really trying to push for a particular tech.

Too many early cities can cause huge issues with getting the National College up in a reasonable time. Cities 5 and 6 have to be in tremendously good spots or my Civ needs some kind of innate science booster for me to expand to that many cities quickly.

traveler

Not Wario
It's pretty hard to get a read on the new civs in BNW. Some are easy to get- like the Zulu and Shoshone- but the rest are so tied to the new mechanics I have a feeling that I'll just have to play them to understand. I took a brief look at the culture rework and new trade additions and decided to wait till the game came out to really dig in and consider them.

Too many early cities can cause huge issues with getting the National College up in a reasonable time. Cities 5 and 6 have to be in tremendously good spots or my Civ needs some kind of innate science booster for me to expand to that many cities quickly.

OT, but check your pms when you get a chance.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
New patch incoming

http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?247316-New-patch-en-route

MULTIPLAYER

New Mode - Sequential - Similar to the way Single Player works, each player takes turns making their moves.
New Mode - Hybrid - turns are simultaneous as they've worked in the past, but when wars are declared, any players involved in the wars switch to sequential until the war is resolved. All other uninvolved players still play simultaneous.
New Mode - Pitboss - Your game can now run in a server mode, which allows players to connect, take their turn, disconnect, and come back later. Email notifications and steam notifications are built into the system. Once the system has received a healthy amount of feedback from the community, we will also include a stand-alone Pitboss server that does not require a steam account to run.
Added an "Observer" mode to watch a multiplayer game.
Added ability to play custom maps in multiplayer. Host and all players must place custom maps in the main games "maps" directory to be usable.
Added ability to kick a player in-game.
Added ability to save a game configuration from the Staging room, so players can keep various "favorite" game settings ready to go.
Reworked hot-join code to make hot-join much more reliable.
Reworked host migration to be more reliable.
Reworked lobby, added multiple improvements to the way games are setup, and added flexibility when loading a save, and all players are no longer available to play. Also added slot-type pull-downs so host can define the slot-type (like Open, Human Required, AI, and Closed).
Game will now auto-start when all humans have readied up.
Added hours/seconds label to turn timer edit box.
Tracked down and squashed many more causes of out-of-syncs and connection issues, as well as other general bugs.
Additional polish, notifications for kicks, disconnects, reconnects, host changes, multiple UI and tooltip additions and improvements, etc.

GAMEPLAY

Fixed an issue that caused workers building improvements to constantly "wake up" when hostile units were not close by.
Hun Battering Ram promotions which allows only city attacks are now lost upon upgrade.
Fix an issue where the plot under a city would not be worked after trading/gifting it.
Crabs should no longer spawn in lakes.
Many additional subtle updates to tool-tips, and information exposed to players.

IN-GAME ART/SOUNDS

New Forest and Jungle art for all terrain types.
New Road and Railroad art.
Touched up color on various terrain pieces, as well as some of the texture transitions.
Fix Rock of Gibralter national wonder so that it's surrounding terrain displays properly (there may still be rare cases where this can still occur).
Reduced texture sized on many models in-game (buildings, improvements, some leaders, etc.).
Added missing "Selection" sound entries for some base game units.

AI

Military: More aggressive AI city attacks.
Military: Refine larger unit formations, and adjust the AI to use these against City-States if appropriate.
Military: Make Great Generals more aware of danger nearby.
Military: The AI will now prioritize capturing original capitals and cities that were originally theirs.

UI

UI will now change based on the DLL that is active (base game, Gods and Kings, or Brave New World).
New Declare War Pop-up that includes an overview of all connected events (like trades that will be cancelled, City-State allies, etc.)
New Single-Player leaderboards for main game, scenarios, DLC, and mods. To add leaderboards to a mod, add the "SupportsLeaderboards" property to its mod properties.
Added a pop-up that tells the user that the game data is changing when DLC/Scenarios are activated/deactivated.
Maintenance-free units are now properly tracked in the Economic Overview.
Planes and Nukes are now considered Military Units in the Unit overview.
Fixed issues with the city Garrison ring not displaying correctly.
Natural Wonders that create Happiness will now display the yield properly in the plot tool-tip.
Fix some issues that would cause the terrain yield icons to be incorrect, or sometimes missing.
Religion: Fixed a bug where unknown civs would be revealed (via Icon) in the Religion Overview.
Add in a player option called "Quick Selection Advance" which will have the auto-unit-selection advance to the next unit without waiting for the animation to complete.
When the active player's turn starts, make sure all their city range strike icons are correct.
Multiple general fixes and improvements to touch-screen functionality.
Replay graphs are now much more accurate.
Planes and Nukes are now considered military units in the overview.
Fixed a bug in which units were not properly sorted by name in the military overview.
Correct some issues that would cause unit icons to disappear.
Multiple subtle UI improvements throughout the game.

MODS AND STEAM WORKSHOP

Fixed an issue that would cause some mods to download over and over from Steam Workshop.
Changed the way the mod database is built so that the mod library is managed correctly.
Fixed an issue with World Builder which could cause it not to launch properly on some users computers.

I wonder how much of a performance upgrade I'll get going from a 2010 i3 to a 2013 ivy bridge i5 quad in this game. I already was doing fairly well to begin with but I figure larger maps will be a staple with it.

Just in time for Brave New World too. So exite.

Sooooooo... does anyone have any idea how the Shoshone's UA works? Like, does it give each city a starting culture radius of 2 instead of 1? Or does it just extend it by a bit here and there? Or is it just an additional tile gained when the city plops, as if one bought a tile at random for free?

I am hoping it means that each city starts with radius of 2, because that'd be quite rad, and would also be consistent. My brother thinks that'd be overpowered, which I don't necessarily disagree with, but the Shoshone UUs themselves only seem useful during the Ancient or Classical eras anyway.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Sooooooo... does anyone have any idea how the Shoshone's UA works? Like, does it give each city a starting culture radius of 2 instead of 1? Or does it just extend it by a bit here and there? Or is it just an additional tile gained when the city plops, as if one bought a tile at random for free?

I am hoping it means that each city starts with radius of 2, because that'd be quite rad, and would also be consistent. My brother thinks that'd be overpowered, which I don't necessarily disagree with, but the Shoshone UUs themselves only seem useful during the Ancient or Classical eras anyway.

http://youtu.be/K-Kkj1YLQNI

Apparently on the livestream Civfanatics people found out that Pathfinders upgrade directly to Composite Bows. If true that would be amazing, you could spam out five, get construction faster with the free early tech from a ruin, and go barreling down another civ's 2nd city before they have any real units to react to it.

Uh HMMMMM...

So it's random. Or appears to be rather random. The interesting thing is that the city can extend out as far as 3 hexes. But otherwise random.

What does appear to be guaranteed (based on the 2 available cases haha) is that up to 14 hexes can be captured per city.

I think I'm going to like the bonus for attacking from friendly territory for sure though. Himeji's Castle and Artillery work so nicely together, just get a little city on the edge of a civ and start working in from there, or put down a new city and use that as a staging point. I'm assuming the Shoshone's UA and Himeji's Castle will stack :)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Apparently on the livestream Civfanatics people found out that Pathfinders upgrade directly to Composite Bows. If true that would be amazing, you could spam out five, get construction faster with the free early tech from a ruin, and go barreling down another civ's 2nd city before they have any real units to react to it.

Upgrade through ruins, or upgrade regularly? Because if pathfinders are based on scouts, there's no way to upgrade scouts normally.

Unless they changed that.

Through ruins. Though I (for some reason) forgot about not being able to upgrade them manually, derp. Been a couple of months since I've played, can you tell? :D

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Recently got back into Civ 5, and of all things, I fucking love finding ruins. I know I'm unbalancing the game in my favour, but I've been playing a lot of scenarios against the AI spamming out scouts early on to get all the culture, population, gold, and research I can from ruins to give me a leg up.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Recently got back into Civ 5, and of all things, I fucking love finding ruins. I know I'm unbalancing the game in my favour, but I've been playing a lot of scenarios against the AI spamming out scouts early on to get all the culture, population, gold, and research I can from ruins to give me a leg up.

If you really want to take advantage of that, play as Polynesia on an archipelago, large islands, small continents, or otherwise island-y map. Your ability to use embarkation and ocean crossing from the start means you'll get all those ruins on isolated islands long before anyone else does.

Ogimachi

Still no mod support in multiplayer? I can't understand Firaxis, really.
To play with custom maps in MP requires all players to have the same map file in the correct folder, why can't they to the same to XML files?
It seems to me it was deliberately left out.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
If you really want to take advantage of that, play as Polynesia on an archipelago, large islands, small continents, or otherwise island-y map. Your ability to use embarkation and ocean crossing from the start means you'll get all those ruins on isolated islands long before anyone else does.

Nice. Been going through Civs I've never used so I might give Polynesia a try.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Nice. Been going through Civs I've never used so I might give Polynesia a try.

Another neat Polynesia trick is to do a Terra map. Terra maps are a type where there are two continents, and everyone starts on one continent.

With Polynesia, you can immediately head straight for the empty continent, or settle on the Old World, and quickly send out your first settler to colonize the New World. Either way, you'll have a huge landmass to yourself for a decent amount of time.

Anyone have any beginner tips for me? Never really played an RTS and never played anything in the Civ series.

First, play the game. Some of us have been playing the series regularly for nearly two decades. Trying to understand why we get excited in this thread for some seemingly small change is just going to get you more confused. Expsosure to the base game mechanics will help tremendously.

That being said, do the following.

Start up a game on a continents map, small size, and any leader who you think looks cool. For this example, let's take Darius. He's a badass. But you can choose whoever you want. Let's go ahead and start the game, but before we clear the screen where the narrator is talky talky, let's mouse over stuff and read the text. Darius and Persia have the following abilities:

Abilites - Archimedian Dynasty - Golden Ages last 50% longer. During a Golden Age, nits gain +1 movement and 10% combat strength.
Unique Building - Satrap's Courty - Replaces Bank - Gives +2 happiness and +2 gold in addition to the 25% additional gold produced by the bank
Unique Unit - Immortal - Replaces Spearman . Has a higher combat strength than a normal spearman and heals at a faster rate.

OK so wtf does this mean? First, WTF Is a Golden Age anyway?

http://www.dndjunkie.com/civilopedi...AND_GREAT_PEOPLE_GREAT_PEOPLE_GOLDEN_AGE.aspx

"A "Golden Age" is a period of special productivity for a civilization. During a Golden Age, any tile which produces gold produces 1 extra gold, and production (hammers) in cities is increased 20%. (Obviously this has no effect unless citizens are working the tiles.) The duration of the Golden Age depends upon the game difficulty and speed. The Great Person is expended when he or she creates a Golden Age. "

Let's read between the lines:

We want to generate golden ages and make them last super long. We want to have cities that make a lot of money because that Satrap's Court building is pretty baller. We want to have some Immortals out early because they can keep the barbarians down or help us capture cities with other units.

Here what I have done is developed a high level strategy for how I want the game to play out. From here everything I do will be executed with that above statement in mind. The key is that you have a plan and the decisions you make in game execute on that plan. The big difference between a Civ player that doesn't know what they are doing and one that does is whether or not they have a plan or are just clicking next turn and choosing things without any grand strategy for winning the game in mind.

You really don't need to understand any of the following, but for our example here is how I would execute on the plan for Darius above.

- I will pursue getting wonders and social policies that make Golden Ages last longer.
- I will focus my great person generation on creating Great Artists so I can trigger more turns in a golden age.
- I will prepare for war and have my units ready to attack right when the Golden Age occurs.
- I will try to ensure that all plots of land that my city work, have, when possible produce at least 1 gold so that they will produce 2 gold during a golden age.
- Instead of capturing and annexing cities, I will have them puppeted during my wars, as they will then focus on producing tiles with gold (extra provided by Golden Ages) and build more Satrap's Courts. This also has synergy with the Freedom policy, which I want to chose late game to generate more Great Artists and have longer Golden Ages.
- During early wars I will aggressively use siege weapons since 3 movement points allows them to move, set up, and fire in the same turn. The core of my army will be some siege, some archer units, and some Immortal units and their upgrades.

I will plan on winning the game via Domination victory condition.

Note that you don't have to have the detailed knowledge of the game mechanics to commit to a strategy perfectly. You just need to read the special features of your Civilization and establish a strategy that exploits that Civilizations' strength.

Did the latest patch break Steam achievements? I was playing a really nice game of Denmark on King, but even though I took my Norwegian Ski infantry and walked it all over the snow, I didn't get the achievement. I also didn't get the achievement for winning as Denmark.

doublefrost

Neo Member
Looks like it broke achievements on existing games-in-progress at the very least. Finished up my first game as Darius and no cheevo.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
He was being bummed about the lack of cheevos.

On a related note, the vanilla achievements involving "produce all units" etc. imply it only counts the vanilla civs and not the DLCs and expansions right?

diffusionx

Gold Member
Ahhh.

I thought there achievements for winning a game in x land size, x map style, x civilization, and x difficulty?

There are. Something is wrong with them at the moment, and they aren't unlocking.

I have about... 269 achievements to get through so any little bit helps!

LowParry

Anyone know a fix for this "Next Round" bug or error that's going on. I've updated my drivers and everything and no matter what nation I play, around 50 - 60 rounds, the game freezes up on a next round. Mehhhhhh.

_woLf

What the actual fuck did they do to PvP combat in this game?

A real player in my game declared war against me. Now EVERY SINGLE TURN, he goes first, gets to position ALL of his units and attack mine before I even have a chance to defend myself.

I can't even open any menus. No advisors, can't queue buildings or movement, can't inspect the tech trees, nothing. And then when he's finally finished getting the first hit on all my units and positioned his perfectly, I finally get to see what everyone's done and all those menus I clicked before that did nothing all pop up at once.

Fuck this shit, it's absolutely ridiculous. Completely ruined this game's pvp for me. Why does he CONSTANTLY get the very first move and I get screwed over every time? It takes like 7 minutes for all the other players to get done with their turns, and they all get to go at the same time. Then I'm stuck being rushed, by myself, quickly having to decide how to retaliate but have trouble because my enemy's units have already been placed perfectly. If sequential turns are going to be a thing it should alternate, it should NOT be one player gets to constantly go first and the other one is stuck getting fucked all game.

/mad

Fitz

It's essentially the same as playing single-player where you'd alternate with the AI anyway, I'm not sure how it picks who goes "first" but I think the order is determined when the game is started somehow. As far as the timer goes, when I last played it was split, so say the total is 12 mins, both players at war should get 6 mins whilst everyone else gets the full 12.

I agree that it massively sucks that you can't even browse demographics and other menus, (needs to be changed imo) but I also think it's better than having the game devolve into some BS rush to see who can move their units first. Of course you could always still select simultaneous when starting a game if you prefer.

Arthea

So about religion. Only way to spread it through missionaries, prophets and alike, no? Then why my neighbors spread their without any activity I can see. That doesn't sound fair, does it? (><)
I just started Gods and Kings but I don't feel it so far. My spies are kinda useless too. I noticed if I rig elections, independent cities start to get angry, and we get to war pretty soon.

Jintor

Religion also spreads gradually via 'pressure' from 10 tiles from any city that is considered to be dominated by any one religion

Top Bottom