• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Classic Sales-Age* NOV-1994: TOP40 & HW - Donkey Kong Country!!! (GEN > SNES)

I enjoy the Vectorman games. They're not the best platformers for the system, but they're fun. I wouldn't put them above Donkey Kong Country.

DKC is overrated, but not THAT overrated.

spetz

NBA Jam is the only game on that chart over 1 million, what other games sold over a million? Did NBA Jam out sell Sonic 1 or 2? That would be very suprising to me if it did.

spetz said:
NBA Jam is the only game on that chart over 1 million, what other games sold over a million? Did NBA Jam out sell Sonic 1 or 2? That would be very suprising to me if it did.

This is just the monthly top 40. A lot of games cleared a million, they just weren't among the top 40 sellers in November 1994.

spetz said:

Games w/o LTDs were released before '94 - I don't have data before 1994.
Those games were released in 1991 & 1992 so I don't hav data for them & they were also bundled w/ the GEN. Sonic 1&2 overall outsold NBA Jam but probably not separately by themselves, except for Sonic 2 - I'd guess it outsold NBA Jam stand-alone but probably not the case for Sonic 1. I don't know but ioi has Sonic 1&2 over 3m each w/ch includes teh GEN bundles.

spetz said:

No, I don't think so. Sonic 2 sold a total of 4.92 million copies. and Sonic 1 sold 4.46 million copies.

Apparently, the only other games for Genesis to sell at least a million(according to the ever-unreliable Wikipidia) were

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (4.92 million)
Sonic the Hedgehog (4.46 million) [396]
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (4.44 million)
Sonic & Knuckles (3.56 million)
Vectorman 2 (3 million)
Mortal Kombat (2.67 million)
Streets of Rage (2.60 million)
Streets of Rage 2 (2 million)[397]
Street Fighter II (1.66 million) [398]
Sonic Spinball (1.60 million)
Vectorman (1 million) [399

Those are worldwide numbers, of course. I somehow doubt the Vectorman games sold THAT many copies. Though,that many copies were probably produced(I see piles of unopened copies of Vectorman 1 and 2 on Ebay all the time), but I doubt they sold thatwell.

I'd also be surprised if any of the Madden, NHL, or NBA games or Mortal Kombat II didn't break a million. Ditto for The Lion King and Aladdin.

SonicMegaDrive said:
No, I don't think so. Sonic 2 sold a total of 4.92 million copies. and Sonic 1 sold 4.46 million copies.

Apparently, the only other games for Genesis to sell at least a million(according to the ever-unreliable Wikipidia) were

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (4.92 million)
Sonic the Hedgehog (4.46 million) [396]
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (4.44 million)
Sonic & Knuckles (3.56 million)
Vectorman 2 (3 million)
Mortal Kombat (2.67 million)
Streets of Rage (2.60 million)
Streets of Rage 2 (2 million)[397]
Street Fighter II (1.66 million) [398]
Sonic Spinball (1.60 million)
Vectorman (1 million) [399

Those are worldwide numbers, of course. I somehow doubt the Vectorman games sold THAT many copies. Though,that many copies were probably produced(I see piles of unopened copies of Vectorman 1 and 2 on Ebay all the time), but I doubt they sold thatwell.

I'd also be surprised if any of the Madden, NHL, or NBA games or Mortal Kombat II didn't break a million. Ditto for The Lion King and Aladdin.

Those nos. are wrong.
Give me a sec and I'll post my estimates for all the million sellers w/n the States.
EDIT: This may take a while to compile.

Slightly OT but who composed the music to the DKC games and is he/she still around?

Best part about that series was the wonderful music. I loved the briar patch theme from DKC2.

EDIT: Thanks Oliver and Fuzzy

Oliver.S

David Wise.
musicteam1.jpg

(Its the little guy on the right;) )
His newest work was the remade Soundtrack from DKC 3 (GBA Version).
There a rumors, that he is the musician for the game from the so called Stampede-Team.

Top Bottom