• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clover Studio Dissolution

AAK

trancejeremy said:
So his freedom was to make a movie almost exactly like Ong-Bak except with a elephant instead of a Bhudda statue's head?

Though you're right, he'd probably have to do movies with rappers like Jet Li did, or crap like Bulletproof Monk. He's just lucky he's not a director, and have to do Jean Claude Van Damme movies (That's how Ringo Lam went crazy. Thankfully John Woo survived, though).

No, what I mean is that the production of hollywood movies require the approval of the insurance companies for every action scene done in the film. A representative must be present at every choreographed scene to tell them if they can/can't do that scene. It was really apparent in Rush Hour where Jackie Chan had to cut out almost 1/2 of the stunts he planned because of the insurance companies' disapproval.

And considering the type of stuff Jaa does, the insurance companies would surely hesitate to allow such dangerous stunts, leaving half-assed action flicks. Local films in Thailand on the other hand give Jaa everything to his disposal which he would unquestionably prefer.

Oh yeah, and his next film: Ong-Bak 2 will be directed by Tony Jaa himself.

TreIII

Ideally, Clover's death may still yield some good. Like a phoenix rising from its own ashes, Inaba and Kamiya may just go some where else and pick up where they left off. Again, all I can hope is that we may at least get one more VJ game as a nice "swan song". Finish the saga off, then they can do whatever other original works they desire, I say. :D

And what's this about Mikami still on contract with Capcom? When he basically said "cut his own neck", I thought that more or less implied that he burned the bridge with Capcom entirely...

gconsole

I read an interview and Inaba mentioned that he was very disapointed with the sell of Okami in japan. But that was not Capcom's fault! Why did you leave Capcom, Kamiya ? I don't think other company will give you that much money or freedom for creating games :/

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Since my last post, I have come to the realization that a new mistwalker would own. Kamiya, inaba and mikami could have their little mistwalker. I would fully support it.

Brobzoid

I'm actually alittle excited about this now, and why hasn't anyone made a football manager game, but with videogame developers? I'm so over it. Someone mod FM07 when it hits.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Kittonwy said:
Megaman hasn't been a very exciting IP for years.

Yet, most of the handheld ones sell like hotcakes. BN has had a TV show and a manga. MMPowered Up did bomb, but, was a kickass game in its own right. Maverick Hunter X was really a hit or miss though. MMC and MMXC did alright I thought (not a sales person), and now we have ZX. Evidently, enough people are excited about the games and are actually buying them.

Has Inafune directed anything or created any character with actual personality lately? The Onimusha series has never been strong on characters though, Samanosuke has less personality than a block of composite wood (not even real wood but made of reclaimed wood fibers), the series has already lost much of its appeal after the 4th installment, the whole Jean Reno/time travel/fairy tengu/neglected son thing was a disaster, it's hard to take the series seriously after that.

No...Onimusha did not lose its appeal with Dawn Of Dreams and the time travel ordeal was far from a disaster. Samonuske didn't have a personality, but...Jubei and the rest of the people in the series did. That, and unlike a lot of the resident evil series, nothing has been retconned and Oni has very few plotholes to it.

Now he has Dead Rising and Lost fricken planet.

Kittonwy

Banned
Oldschoolgamer said:
Yet, most of the handheld ones sell like hotcakes. BN has had a TV show and a manga. MMPowered Up did bomb, but, was a kickass game in its own right. Maverick Hunter X was really a hit or miss though. MMC and MMXC did alright I thought (not a sales person), and now we have ZX. Evidently, enough people are excited about the games and are actually buying them.

There's a difference between being exciting and being milked by being made into a TV show/manga, or how the software title performs in the market, judging by sales, Okami would be viewed as one very lame piece of software, but that's clearly not the case here because Okami is totally awesome.

No...Onimusha did not lose its appeal with Dawn Of Dreams and the time travel ordeal was far from a disaster. Samonuske didn't have a personality, but...Jubei and the rest of the people in the series did. That, and unlike a lot of the resident evil series, nothing has been retconned and Oni has very few plotholes to it.

Now he has Dead Rising and Lost fricken planet.

The series did lose its appeal with Dawn of Dreams, it probably already lost its appeal after the third installment, do people even care about the series right now? Or whether there's even another installment to the series? Heck, did people even care about Dawn of Dreams?

The time travel ordeal was a total disaster, that and having Jean Reno and his whiny son Henri, the Onimusha storyline was quickly becoming a cheesy joke. Saying "Oni has very few plotholes to it" is akin to insisting that swiss cheese is devoid of holes, the Onimusha storyline can't even be taken seriously anymore, you can't even just pretend one of the games doesn't exist like DMC fans not recognizing the existence of 2 because the Onimusha game plot started getting cheesy starting with the second game and never fully recovered.

Jubei was in one game and he sure as heck did not have much more personality than Samanosuke, basically just another samurai character modeled after a Japanese film star.

I'm sure Dead Rising and Lost fricken planet have main characters that are oozing with personality, a trademark feature of Inafune games.
sarcasm in case you think I agree with you in any way.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the dead rising characters do have a lot of personality somehow -- it's nothing very definable, but you end up liking them by the end of the game

lost planet appears to take onimusha's "block of wood resembling a film actor" approach

gconsole

Q: Can you explain briefly why Clover Studio has been decided to be dissolved?

A: Clover Studio (CS) was established in July 2004 by Capcom in order to create new types of titles. Then, the titles such as Viewtiful Joe, Okami and God Hand were produced. At the same time, R&D at Capcom also produced some new types of titles such as Dead Rising and Lost Planet and they were regarded highly at game shows such as E3. Reviewing the existing R&D organization, we have reached the conclusion that we should be centralizing all the resources rather than running two companies. Therefore, disbandment of CS was decided.

Q: We’ve heard that the famous creators such as [Resident Evil creator] Mr. [Shinji] Mikami, [Okami producer] Mr. [Atsushi] Inaba and [Devil May Cry director] Mr. [Hideki] Kamiya have quit, is this true? Why didn’t they come back to Capcom?

A: Mr. Mikami had already left Capcom in November 2005 but signed on a separate contract with us. Mr. Inaba and Mr. Kamiya have also left Capcom in June and July of this year respectively. Naturally, we had hoped that Mr. Inaba and Mr. Kamiya to come back to us, however, both of them told us that they wanted a new challenge at a new environment. As far as Capcom’s concerned, now all the resources should be used more effectively and more efficiently since they are centralized.

Q: Apparently, CS had 64 staff at the setup of the company, what happened to those people?

A: Actually, only 15 staff [members were] still left in the company at the time of 12th October. They will be transferred to R&D at Capcom although we haven’t negotiated with them individually yet. However, we will have to examine what sort of organization is required for creating more new titles first.

Q: Will copyright of the titles that were produced by CS be transferred to Capcom?

A: Yes, all copyrights of the CS titles will be transferred back to Capcom as a process of disbandment of the company.

Q: Can you tell us more about Mr. Inaba and Mr. Kamiya? We’ve heard that they are setting up a new company.

A: Since they are not our employees any longer, we can’t answer this question.

Q: Don’t you think of Mr. Mikami’s departure as a huge loss? Who’s going to produce Resident Evil series from now on?

A: We have a signed contract with Mr. Mikami separately. In any case, we have many creators that have worked on Resident Evil series titles and have enough knowledge of the series. Mr. Mikami will also work in our R&D. By the way, Mr. Takeuchi is producing Resident Evil 5 (he’s worked on the original Resident Evil).

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3994&Itemid=2

Brobzoid

Q: Can you tell us more about Mr. Inaba and Mr. Kamiya? We’ve heard that they are setting up a new company.

A: Since they are not our employees any longer, we can’t answer this question.

that's pretty hardcore. And pretty interesting. I'm looking forward to them establishing themselves.

gconsole

It's really interesting to see both Inaba and Kamiya survive without the supporting from big company like Capcom. They created some great games (especially for Okami) under the name of Capcom but the sale is bad (IMO). Making the hardcore games for non-mainstream gamers is quite risky. I want to see how long that their passion will go. Dont' get me wrong ,but leaving the company when you made them loose 400M yen is not a good sign. Their only chance is now the money support from MS to creat another great game like Mistwalker because I don't think other japanese company will let them have freedom to creating games like they had with Capcom. Anyway, fairwell Mr. Kamiya. I'm still waiting for your another masterpieces. :)

Brobzoid

if microsoft hooks them, I am sure to get a 360.- you hear that microsoft!? +1 sale!!!

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Kittonwy said:
There's a difference between being exciting and being milked by being made into a TV show/manga, or how the software title performs in the market, judging by sales, Okami would be viewed as one very lame piece of software, but that's clearly not the case here because Okami is totally awesome.

So the fans of mega man don't find it exciting still, and aren't buying the software? If people didn't give a damn about the games, then they wouldn't buy them. The games wouldn't be milked if they didn't have the strong fanbase and people who actually give a **** about them.

The series did lose its appeal with Dawn of Dreams, it probably already lost its appeal after the third installment, do people even care about the series right now? Or whether there's even another installment to the series? Heck, did people even care about Dawn of Dreams?

Evidently you don't, but, everyone I lent the game to sure as hell did. Who knows if their is another game in the series. I hope their is. And, how did it lose its appeal with Dawn of Dreams exactly. The third installment was the best in the series right up until Dawn of Dreams came out.

The time travel ordeal was a total disaster, that and having Jean Reno and his whiny son Henri, the Onimusha storyline was quickly becoming a cheesy joke. Saying "Oni has very few plotholes to it" is akin to insisting that swiss cheese is devoid of holes, the Onimusha storyline can't even be taken seriously anymore, you can't even just pretend one of the games doesn't exist like DMC fans not recognizing the existence of 2 because the Onimusha game plot started getting cheesy starting with the second game and never fully recovered.

Since the Oni series is so full of plotholes, give some examples of them. Please do.

And what wtf @ the hate about his son. His ****ing father disappeared and genma owned half of Europe while he was there. He had the right to bitch all he wanted. Oh, i forgot...he was supposed to act like a badass shotgun toating bad mouthing half demon.

How in the hell did the plot start getting cheasing with the second one? Who gives a damn if it did? It moved away from the OMFG THE PRINCESS IS IN ANOTHER CASTLE, and to something a little different. Like the RE series is so golden when it comes to storyline.

Oh and explain how Dawn of Dreams was so much more cheesy then something found in the other series Capcom has put out?

Jubei was in one game and he sure as heck did not have much more personality than Samanosuke, basically just another samurai character modeled after a Japanese film star.

And yet, other characters in the series have, including the other Jubei.

I'm sure Dead Rising and Lost fricken planet have main characters that are oozing with personality, a trademark feature of Inafune games.
sarcasm in case you think I agree with you in any way.

No sarcasm mark needed. I could tell you were being sarcastic from your hatred of the other ones.

Brobzoid

RaijinFY said:
I can bet my ass mr. Inaba and Kamiya will work on Wii... :/

I think that's pretty far on the horizon. They seemed very reluctant to work with the GC. I think wii needs a very big market or something, before they bother.

Kangu

Banned
So is CAPCOM ****ed? Did everybody leave? What happened to DMC4? Wasnt Kamiya producing? This is not good at all. CAPCOM was possibly on the greates roll of all time and now this?

*cry emoticon*

Brobzoid

Kangu said:
So is CAPCOM ****ed? Did everybody leave? What happened to DMC4? Wasnt Kamiya producing? This is not good at all. CAPCOM was possibly on the greates roll of all time and now this?

*cry emoticon*

whatwhatwhat? Kamiya was never producing dmc4, kobashi(omg, what's his name?) is doing it, I think...

Terrell

Brobzoid said:
I think that's pretty far on the horizon. They seemed very reluctant to work with the GC. I think wii needs a very big market or something, before they bother.
So did Ubisoft.

KingJ2002

I really dont think that this decision will be the end of capcom.

Mikami still does work for capcom and Inafune's ideas turn into award winning games.

and besides... if inaba and kamiya create independant studios it still doesnt stop them from being capcom published and certain titles they make may have another publishers flair... like lets say... nintendo or konami.

anyway... capcom is far from turning into SNK.

btw.

SNK is dead... SNKP exists.

the difference between the two... one released GREAT and original games.. the other releases good games.

i hope in 2007 capcom will bring back the fighters. after lost planet... what esle is there to look forward to aside from resident evil 5?

i'll tell you...

STREET FIGHTER IV!!!

thats what.

gconsole

KingJ2002 said:
I really dont think that this decision will be the end of capcom.

Mikami still does work for capcom and Inafune's ideas turn into award winning games.

and besides... if inaba and kamiya create independant studios it still doesnt stop them from being capcom published and certain titles they make may have another publishers flair... like lets say... nintendo or konami.

anyway... capcom is far from turning into SNK.

btw.

SNK is dead... SNKP exists.

the difference between the two... one released GREAT and original games.. the other releases good games.

i hope in 2007 capcom will bring back the fighters. after lost planet... what esle is there to look forward to aside from resident evil 5?

i'll tell you...

STREET FIGHTER IV!!!

thats what.

How come that anyone can think of the end of capcom by the leaving of Kamiya and Inaba ? Capcom has far much more good internal devs who are still creating games like Dead Rising , Lost Planet , Monster Hunter 3 , DMC4 , RE5 and bla bla bla when SNK was only releasing game like KOF 224 with the sale of something around 20k , that even less than God Hand. It's imposible just even start to think about comparing Capcom to SNK.

Fady K

gconsole said:
How come that anyone can think of the end of capcom by the leaving of Kamiya and Inaba ? Capcom has far much more good internal devs who are still creating games like Dead Rising , Lost Planet , Monster Hunter 3 , DMC4 , RE5 and bla bla bla when SNK was only releasing game like KOF 224 with the sale of something around 20k , that even less than God Hand. It's imposible just even start to think about comparing Capcom to SNK.

Im a Capcom freak, and I am very sad to hear all this crap in one day. Not only Clover dissolved, but no more Kamiya or Inaba at Capcom, i didnt know about this...

I still have hope for Capcom and look forward to all their games, and hope that this doesnt affect their games negatively.

Square-Enix used to be my favorite pub/dev, and then with Matsuno leaving, their stupid comments about the PS3 (actually, not theirs, but one of their leading people) as well nothing but DS announcements recently pissed me off (Yes, i own and love a DS, no, I dont love it as much as consoles)

And yeah, comparing Capcom to SNK...wtf.

Zenith

Banned
Kangu said:

*cry emoticon*

none of the people leaving have major roles in CC's next-gen games.

jarrod

Banned
Capcom's going to be fine... not that losing the Clover guys isn't a big deal, but it's not going to doom Capcom's own excellent internal R&D either. Too bad the Clover guys couldn't just rejoin Studio 3/4 though, they're basically gutted at this point (I'm not sure if Studio 3 even exists at this point actually).

cvxfreak

Inaba basically thanks everyone for their support of Clover's products. The webmaster has received tons of e-mails of support and sadness over the split up, but tells readers to watch the blog for any future, irregular updates. And then something is on sale at e-Capcom, out or for reservation in November.

A better translation is best left to someone else. :lol

Top Bottom