• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN : Biden: Clinton never figured out why she was running

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

Hillary Clinton felt compelled to run for president despite lacking a clear campaign vision, Vice President Joe Biden argued in an interview published Thursday.

"I don't think she ever really figured it out," Biden told the Los Angeles Times' Mike Memoli. "And by the way, I think it was really hard for her to decide to run."

Biden said Clinton likely felt obliged to run for president and that the historic nature of her bid weighed on her decision-making.

"She thought she had no choice but to run. That, as the first woman who had an opportunity to win the presidency, I think it was a real burden on her," Biden said.

"I believe that we were not letting an awful lot of people -- high school-educated, mostly Caucasian, but also people of color -- know that we understood their problems," he said.

He claimed to the LA Times there's "a bit of elitism that's crept in" to Democratic thinking.

"What are the arguments we're hearing? 'Well, we've got to be more progressive.' I'm not saying we should be less progressive," Biden said. "We should be proud of where the hell we are, and not yield an inch.

"In the meantime, you can't eat equality," he added.

More in the link

I agree on the elitism criticism. The Democratic party lost too much of the average working class voter and needs to do more to resonate with them.

Other than her being the most qualified to do the job, I sort of agree. To resonate with voters, the voters have to truly understand what the candidate stands for.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Hillary endured decades of shit from the press, Republicans, and her own husband. No way she wasnt going to cash in on her patience and fortitude.

Zaph

"I believe that we were not letting an awful lot of people -- high school-educated, mostly Caucasian, but also people of color -- know that we understood their problems"

Yeah, I'm not so sure about that one. Especially given so many of them voted against their own interests anyway.

Besides, if the other side is willing to just straight lie about what's possible, your answer to their problem is never gonna sound great.

HariKari

Oh she felt compelled. Great.

I would say entitled. Everyone in the DNC basically paved the way for her, including Obama telling Biden to stand down, and she ran her campaign in a pretty weak way as a result. She's a reflection of a lot of the problems with the Democratic party. I hope she quietly goes away and the party can fix itself.

studyguy

No clear vision? I don't know about that considering all the documentation she released on her health plans and social plans. Lack of vision seems like the least of what her problems was.

Lack of concise, easily digested message? Sure. Failed to resonate but lets not act like she didn't have a lot to say regarding what she wanted.

Anyway most of this is moot, regardless of where the DNC goes it's on the backfoot now as we don't hold any majorities at the federal level and got routed at the state level with governorships. I wish them luck, they'll need it by the looks of it. Not looking forward to people fighting the primary to 2018.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I agree on the elitism criticism. The Democratic party lost too much of the average working class voter and needs to do more to resonate with them.
Maybe in certain states, but not overall. Hillary had more people vote for her than Obama had in 2012. And only Obama in 2008 had more voters in any US presidential election.

Alexlf

Literally anything

This, pretty much. He at least acknowledge their existence, which was more or less a step up from Clinton. He ran campaigns there and showed up for meet and greets and rallies and talked about bringing jobs back to the south. Clinton did nothing.

kingocfs

If the rumors are true she hated doing it and it showed.

But then again who would actually enjoy the process of running for President.

Euron

Great analysis, Joe. The primary reason why we hear shit like "Both parties are the same. Both parties are flawed." was the apparent elitism prevalent on the Democratic side this election cycle.

It's easy to label half of America as 'racist' to justify such a shocking loss but it has been evident, particularly after the election, that Hillary and the people whom she surrounded herself with simply were not personable, which can be mistaken for and easily misconstrued into a false sense of corruption.

With somebody like Obama on the campaign trail, you got the sense that he legitimately cared about the problems of ordinary Americans and had undergone many hardships himself. That was not present this cycle and needs to be addressed when choosing a candidate for 2020.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
What has Trump said to the working class that resonated with them, that Hillary hadn't?
"I'll bring your jobs back that the Chinese and Mexicans stole!"

Just a question though, if you support someone because they make you an economic promise, but that promise is steeped in blatant bigotry and lies, does that reflect on you in any way?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This is the exact kind of bullshit that alienates voters while adding nothing of substance to a discussion.

He ain't wrong though. Trump's campaign was all about blaming "the other" for the issues of the white working class. He let them blame Hispanics for their lack of jobs, Muslims for their general insecurity, and African-Americans for the government not keeping things they way they liked it. His entire campaign was built on racism, full-stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom