• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: FBI tracked 'fake news' believed to be from Russia on Election Day

hitme

Washington (CNN) The FBI monitored social media on Election Day last year in an effort to track a suspected Russian disinformation campaign utilizing "fake news," CNN has learned.

In the months leading up to Election Day, Twitter and Facebook were the feeding grounds for viral "news" stories floating conspiracies and hoaxes, many aimed at spreading negative false claims about Hillary Clinton.

On Election Day, dozens of agents and analysts huddled at a command center arrayed with large monitoring screens at the FBI headquarters in Washington watching for security threats, according to multiple sources.

That included analysts monitoring cyber threats, after months of mounting Russian intrusions targeting every part of the US political system, from political parties to policy think-tanks to state election systems.

On this day, there was also a group of FBI cyber and counterintelligence analysts and investigators watching social media.

FBI analysts had identified social media user accounts behind stories, some based overseas, and the suspicion was that at least some were part of a Russian disinformation campaign, according to two sources familiar with the investigation.

The FBI declined to comment for this story.

For the FBI, this was uncomfortable territory, given the First Amendment's free speech protections even for fake news stories.

"We were right on the edge of Constitutional legality," a person briefed on the investigation said. "We were monitoring news."

As the hours ticked by on Election Day, teams at the FBI, Homeland Security Department and the Office of the Director of National Intelligence held conference calls every three hours with a team at the Situation Room in the White House to discuss possible problems, according to multiple sources.

Minor issues popped up in far-flung parts of the country, from Alaska to Georgia.
At the end of day, top officials exchanged congratulations for an election day that was completed without disruptions of the vote.

One Obama White House official responded to the messages of congratulations with the opposite view, saying the US government response to the Russian operation was "a failure of imagination."

"Are you kidding?" that official recalled saying to others at the White House as they celebrated a successful election. "What they did worked!

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/04/politics/election-day-cyber-threat-fbi-monitoring/index.html

Sulik2

Russia is playing 3-dimensional chess exploiting every weakness inherent to free countries and democracies with zero consequences and runaway success. The guy saying they shouldn't have celebrated was absolutely correct. Without needing to alter a single vote directly Russia was able to determine the outcome of the USA's election and they will be back to do it again in 2018 and we will not be ready for it.

this Russia thing is FAKE NEWS Trump is a GREAT Leader he has the BEST sons Trump Jr and the Fantastic "Eric". there is no collusion folks, period

2c5db7fa935fdc2e73f3af9800664349--deus-ex-jensen.jpg

Russia is playing 3-dimensional chess exploiting every weakness inherent to free countries and democracies with zero consequences and runaway success. The guy saying they shouldn't have celebrated was absolutely correct. Without needing to alter a single vote directly Russia was able to determine the outcome of the USA's election and they will be back to do it again in 2018 and we will not be ready for it.

That's.... normal chess.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Starting to understand why certain right-wing conspiracy theorists are getting nervous.

Shauni

Russia has been sanctioned up the ass by both the US and the EU, so there hasn't been zero consequences. They've just continued on despite those consequences, and now there's an impasse where no one is entirely sure where to go.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
If Russians hacked/hi jacked the USA elections... its not anyone else's fault other than USA.

A stupid opinion that completely ignores the pervasiveness and difficulty of monitoring social media, as well as victim blames those with susceptibility issues. We are not perfect and while we should have addressed things better, these disinformation campaigns were carried out on private platforms, so do you mean to say Facebook, Twitter and other organizations instead? In any case, it's Russia who is at fault. Don't be so naive.

How's the situation looking in Germany? I figured Russia would try something in the run-up to their election next month.

We'll be fine in 2018 as long as we can get Trump and his admin out before then...oh, shit. It's going to take longer than that.

hEist

How's the situation looking in Germany? I figured Russia would try something in the run-up to their election next month.

I would say it's silent here.
The car industry got more serious problems here (regarding banning diesel cars (VW, Audi...)).

Shauni

We shouldn't be blaming the US as a whole, but a lot of the success of the campaign came from the ignorance of the US, though. I mean, they tried similar things in the French election and it failed spectacularly in the final stretches, and from what I know, all attempts at the German one has been DOA. The sad truth is that there's such a huge amount of our population that are gullible idiots, it is hard not to throw shade at the country itself for part of the problem. I mean, shit, 3/4 of the fake news stories floating around sound fake as fuck, and then if you check on the link themselves, the sites look amateurish and fake as fuck.

But I will agree some of the blame lies on the social media outlets themselves: particularly Facebook and Twitter. Everyone is afraid of opening that can of worms, but it really isn't hard for those sites to police literal fake news. Most fake news sites that people share are so blatantly fake you can tell just looking at the front page. But any kind of news article that lacks sourcing or seems entirely anonymous from the reporter(s) in question should be taken down.

shiba5

They're still doing it. You can tell when they want to create a narrative - like Mueller being a "criminal" or "McMaster should be fired".
The bot activity pushing fake news on Mueller and McMaster increased over 5000% within hours of receiving their marching orders. Go on Twitter right now and you'll see one of those two or both of those being pushed under every major news story. Some of the bots are still stuck on the Seth Rich "conspiracy" which is just sad.

The neo-nazi, pro-Putin conspiracy nutjobs of the AfD are constantly sitting below 10% in the polls. Still a shame that they'll probably manage to get over the 5% threshold and enter the Bundestag this fall, but they'll remain a marginal and isolated faction as no other party will want to work with them.

Having both a relatively healthy media landscape and a functioning educational system helps to prevent this shit from gaining wider traction, I guess...

Geist-

Wasn't fake news originally a liberal term? I can almost admire how completely Russia and Conservative news has managed to appropriate the term for their own use against liberal media.

Tawpgun

If Russians hacked/hi jacked the USA elections... its not anyone else's fault other than USA.

I mean it's the USA's fault in that a lot of our population is pretty dumb and can't fact check.

It's also the USA's fault in that we have free media, free speech etc.

So you can literally write a story about how the clintons have a child sex ring and post it with zero repercussions.

Either we start censoring some media, which is a slippery slope, or.....? There's not really much of a solution.

It doesn't help that the news outlets that help combat "fake news" are being labeled as the "fake news mainstream media that has a liberal agenda and will take away your freedom guns and religion"

Russia can't do anything significant honestly, far-right is insignificant, there is nothing for them to latch onto. In fact Linkspartei which are far-left and has pro-Kremlin politicians is a better bet for Russia if they actually had to try than something like AfD (far-right).

Things like the refugees is pretty much a non-issue for example, there's nothing really for them to work with.

Russia capitalised on the atmosphere and sentiment in the U.S, something that doesn't exist in society or in politics in Germany at the moment. The U.S campaign length and the toxic atmosphere is really vulnerable to things like fake news Russia can take advantage of, election campaigns in Germany are very short in comparison (as it is with many countries), there aren't things like "attack ads" either so the election atmosphere/toxicity alone is a lot different.

Shauni

Wasn't fake news originally a liberal term? I can almost admire how completely Russia and Conservative news has managed to appropriate the term for their own use against liberal media.

I guess it kind of was, but it was more just an observation than a 'term' from either side. It was news that was literally fake.

BasicMath

The good thing is that they didn't hack the elections.

They hacked and leaked the data of a private corporation and phished a key individual there to launch a propaganda campaign that damaged a candidate they didn't like. A propaganda campaign that employed as delivery methods their incredibly highly rated state sponsored TV Network and the most reputable and factual source of information in human history: The internet.

The term "Hacked the Election" should never be used.

I know this gets said every thread, and I don't want to downplay the destabilizing, nation-altering horror we are currently going through in any way, but

omg man

this shit is so exciting

Fake News, which was a terrible stupid name that was never going to work as a way to communicate to the public what's going on, originally was meant to describe a specific thing: Completely fabricated, foreign-sourced propaganda that was designed to discredit American media and propagate conspiracy theories about Hilliary Clinton and the democratic party, and otherwise sew confusion, and that was promoted on social media by bots. It was not initially meant to describe, for example, Rush Limbaugh spinning some story on the radio, or X channel having X bias. But that distinction was never going to stick.

Acerac

Banned
I know this gets said every thread, and I don't want to downplay the destabilizing, nation-altering horror we are currently going through in any way, but

omg man

this shit is so exciting

If I'm able to separate myself from the fact that my country is getting repeatedly fucked it really is fascinating to watch.

To those who say America was asking for it, perhaps the ones who are running propaganda networks were asking for it, but it feels extremely reductive to equate them with America as a whole.

They've been doing it for some time now and it is known. Not that many people are falling for it though. AfD is not doing particularly good.

If I'm able to separate myself from the fact that my country is getting repeatedly fucked it really is fascinating to watch.

To those who say America was asking for it, perhaps the ones who are running propaganda networks were asking for it, but it feels extremely reductive to equate them with America as a whole.

America has the greatest propaganda machine the world has ever known. Should be a perk in Civ 7.

source.gif

We kind of were. I mean, we hardly need a Russian disinformation campaign. We have a network of very successful ones right here at home.

There are so-called "progressives" that I know that still claim that Hillary rigged/stole the election from Bernie and spout all kind of non-sense about the Clinton foundation

Top Bottom