• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD:Ghosts PS4/XBO Comparisons show the same resolution (720p)?

mocoworm

Actually, his opinion IS more valid, considering the vast majority of people out there would prefer to not play in colorblind mode (resulting in less accurate colors).

Your opinion was also incredibly disingenuous, considering the comparison screenshot was completely flawed (the PS4 was accidentally set to output at 720p instead of 1080p).

We don't know what the setup of the PS4 was as far as I know. Link me to your source that confirms that please or stop making assumptions and posting them as fact... and you say I'm being disingenuous? Hypocrite much?

I just preferred the brighter screen that was all. I'm not harming anyone by saying that... I had no idea it was in a 'colourblind' mode. I just looked at the screenshot, and just because a majority want to do something it doesn't make it more valid. Don't be ridiculous.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
True story, the PS4 kiosk at my local BB is set to 720p on a 4k display.

Yep.

Dark10x, Knack at 720p was still 30fps, just uglier than ever.
That ancient demo isn't a good representation as the game actually operates over 30 fps most of the time in its final form (ie - it's unlocked). Would prefer it to be locked at 30, to be honest.

That demo you saw doesn't really even hit 30 fps.

Call of Duty sells 20+ million copies every year, and has almost every gamer out there convinced that it runs at a locked 60fps 100% of the time. Shocking that something so "supremely important" or "unnacceptable" could still lead to millions upon millions of sales, right?

And I shouldn't have said "not a single person" would notice. Good job, you caught me in the semantics game.
What are you getting so irritated about? It's important to me. I don't give a shit about sales.

So, either Sony and InfintyWard lied about it beeing native 1080p or multiple reviewers made mistakes when recording gameplay footage for comparisons.

Ok, after all this stupid resolution gate crap it's obvious we are all wasting our time until we can sit down and play both versions. If I have to really look for the differences, which I'm doing now, then it's going to come down to controller and online social preferences. I'm getting both systems, but I couldn't imagine the ups and downs someone might go through trying to decide which system to buy based on these resolution debates.

Dragon

Banned
Call of Duty sells 20+ million copies every year, and has almost every gamer out there convinced that it runs at a locked 60fps 100% of the time. Shocking that something so "supremely important" or "unnacceptable" could still lead to millions upon millions of sales, right?

And I shouldn't have said "not a single person" would notice. Good job, you caught me in the semantics game.

CoD has never run locked 60 on consoles

B_Boss

Resolutiongate: the gate that keeps on giving

or "opening" lol.

If I had to guess, maybe the PS4 was set to 720p for its Resolution Output. I would hardly ever believe that IW flatly lied outright about a feature that would be so obviously proven otherwise. Not to mention couldn't they get into legal trouble if they tried to pull a stunt like that? (I'm no lawyer btw lol).

gruenel

Ok, after all this stupid resolution gate crap it's obvious we are all wasting our time until we can sit down and play both versions. If I have to really look for the differences, which I'm doing now, then it's going to come down to controller and online social preferences. I'm getting both systems, but I couldn't imagine the ups and downs someone might go through trying to decide which system to buy based on these resolution debates.

Way to miss the point. The images in OP are all 720p, so obviously you don't see any differences.

The real punchline will be if all the "resolution doesn't matter" responses in the press are the direct result of a cock up at this review even where a 720p version of Ghosts on PS4 was shown to them instead of the correct 1080p version.

ItIsOkBro

gtapack912fb0.jpg

Well that's not right. Either the native was in the red TV. Or it was bolded. Or it was the only thing there. Maybe that was mandated later.

sTaTIx

We don't know what the setup of the PS4 was as far as I know. Link me to your source that confirms that please or stop making assumptions and posting them as fact... and you say I'm being disingenuous? Hypocrite much?

I just preferred the brighter screen that was all. I'm not harming anyone by saying that... I had no idea it was in a 'colourblind' mode. I just looked at the screenshot, and just because a majority want to do something it doesn't make it more valid. Don't be ridiculous.

Read the rest of this thread please? The fact of the matter is, you were making assessments (likely rooted in wishful thinking based on platform preferences) on the PS4 version versus the Xbox One version based on flawed comparison footage. The PS4 version was (accidentally) set to output at only 720p for this footage. Both Infinity Ward and Sony have already confirmed on multiple occasions that the game runs natively at 1080p on PS4. How much more proof do you need?

Use some common sense.

Resolutiongate is far from over. In fact, right now, it might just be revving up. If you would actually read a few pages of this thread, you'd know that the likely scenario at play is that Activision screwed up the PS4 setup, resulting in it outputting at 720p instead of the far superior 1080p.

Mr Moose

The real punchline will be if all the "resolution doesn't matter" responses in the press are the direct result of a cock up at this review even where a 720p version of Ghosts on PS4 was shown to them instead of the correct 1080p version.

Yup.

*Switches it to 1080p*
"Oh... Well that makes all the difference!"

Tulerian

I see people calling for the questioning to be stopped and for everyone to just go home and play the games and be happy.

Can we please ensure this doesn't happen?

I think the public have a right to know what the heck is happening with these reviews. Something is up, and one way or another the truth needs to come out, because this doesn't make sense at all, and hundreds of millions(billions even) are about to be spent on god knows what with this console generation.

TheKayle

Banned
World is burning.

Real answer: Someone is about to look extremely silly, currently waiting to find out who.

You never fail to entertain.

the screenshots tell that..not me.....open them in photoshop...zoom and tell me the differences

zero

maybe they used both console at 720...

dark10x

I see people calling for the questioning to be stopped and for everyone to just go home and play the games and be happy.

Can we please ensure this doesn't happen?

I think the public have a right to know what the heck is happening with these reviews. Something is up, and one way or another the truth needs to come out, because this doesn't make sense at all, and hundreds of millions(billions even) are about to be spent on god knows what with this console generation.
At minimum, we will know for certain very shortly.

tci

A lot of capture devices have better support for 720p. So my guess is that IGN set the source to 720p for PS4.

But I find this "resolutiongate" thing to be hilarious. So many taking this so serious.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Read the rest of this thread please? The fact of the matter is, you were making assessments (likely rooted in wishful thinking based on platform preferences) on the PS4 version versus the Xbox One version based on flawed comparison footage. The PS4 version was (accidentally) set to output at only 720p for this footage. Both Infinity Ward and Sony have already confirmed on multiple occasions that the game runs natively at 1080p on PS4. How much more proof do you need?

Use some common sense.

Resolutiongate is far from over. In fact, right now, it might just be revving up. If you would actually read a few pages of this thread, you'd know that the likely scenario at play is that Activision screwed up the PS4 setup, resulting in it outputting at 720p instead of the far superior 1080p.

Sorry, honest question, Activision or IGN?

A lot of capture devices have better support for 720p. So my guess is that IGN set the source to 720p for PS4.

But I find this "resolutiongate" thing to be hilarious. So many taking this so serious.

Of course people are taking it serious when so called respected, well maybe not in the case of Polygon, websites are reviewing and capturing footage and making flawed comparisons and conclusions.

A game running 720p upscaled should never look better than native 1080p.

Rainy Dog

Those suggesting IW lied about resolutions need to re-read Mark Rubins quote from 30th October.

Hey, been on the road last couple weeks so haven’t had a chance to update, but wanted to confirm that for Xbox One we’re 1080p upscaled from 720p. And, we’re native 1080p on PS4. We optimized each console to hit 60 FPS and the game looks great on both. Still on the road, but glad to see the great reception to Extinction. Can’t wait for next week's launch.

That's about as frank, upfront and conclusive as we've got from any developer about what native resolution each console runs their game at.

dark10x

Those suggesting IW lied about resolutions need to re-read Mark Rubins quote from 30th October.

That's about as frank, upfront and conclusive as we've got from any developer about what native resolution each console runs their game at.
He was also interviewed by several different sites over this very issue. Let's not forget that. It wasn't just a one off tweet.

Cornbread78

So wait, is IW or the reviewers fudging the video output here? Are we talking about forced console parody here? Just want to make sure detective GAF is on the right path.

Do I need to hold my phone further away from my face?

sTaTIx

Obviously an Activision screw-up, considering both TheSixthAxis and IGN posted PS4 version footage at 720p. Oh, and Polygon also noted that they couldn't tell any difference between the PS4 and Xbox One version, so they probably were judging the PS4 set at 720p as well.

This bears repeating: The fact that the one review event (set up by Activision), where journalists finally got a chance to compare the PS4 and Xbox One version side-by-side, resulted in a botched PS4 setup is extremely suspicious and convenient to me. It seems almost like some settings were screwed up on purpose, for the sake of parity.

Microsoft pulling some strings behind the scenes? I wouldn't put it past them.

ItIsOkBro

If this were the case I wonder if these reviewers have the dignity to go back and update their impressions.

TheKayle

Banned
He was also interviewed by several different sites over this very issue. Let's not forget that. It wasn't just a one off tweet.

if reviewer lied and make comparation to make the ps4 version look worst......its just a shame for them

if IW lied.. its a shame for them (but i dont find a good reason to do this)

if the real native resolution of cod for ps4 will end to be 720 gaf will explode

Probably Activision. Generally the press have not been allowed to mess with the OS or settings on the debug hardware they were being shown games on. It would be Activision's responsibility to make sure the console and TV are set up correctly.

frayne182

Banned

Agreed. Love how people think this will be blown into something big or some big conspiracy theory.

Apparently capture equipment for 1080p@60 is very expensive. It's very likely most outlets don't have capable hardware outside of DF.

orioto

Good Art™
So if in the end the PS4 version IS 720p with lower framerate than xbo... Can we safely say it was sabotage from Activision/Microsoft ?

Bikola

WHY IS EVERYONE GETTING WORKED UP!!! Let's just wait for the Digital Foundry Face-off, and if we see it's 720p. Then, Neogaf, you have my permission to explode.

angrygnat

This is all about the laziness of the media. The desire to jump in the pool all at once. Try and be part of that splash. There was a guy on TV once. Tucker Carlson I believe. He was talking about a funeral of some politician. There evidently was some kind of uproar at the event and he talked at length about how tasteless it was and how disgusted he felt. Then the interviewer started asking about specifics and Tucker started dancing. Turns out he never saw the funeral and was just reporting on other peoples recollections, which turned out to be wrong. The interviewer somehow got him to admit this on air. The integrity of the media has been suspect for a long time. That's why it's so important that they hold themselves to such a high standard. As soon as you leave the ranch, no one can believe a word you say. Very few trustworthy voices left.

aravuus

The silver lining here is that it may be possible for the PS4 to output games at a lower resolution (rather than simply downscaling from 1080p).

I see this as a potential positive simply because it would allow us to choose to run games at a lower resolution should we desire. This could be useful in a situation where you're dealing with a game without a framerate cap that is unable to hold its framerate. Take Knack, for instance. It might be possible to drop the resolution to 720p and actually hit 60 fps instead of 30-60 fps we see now.

Hitting the native resolution of your display is very important, but an unstable framerate can spoil otherwise good image quality. Reducing image quality in order to solve framerate issues can be a good alternative even on the PC.

This was completely possible with some games last generation. A number of titles which operated at unstable framerates in 720p mode could be switched to 480p where they would then deliver a smooth 30 or 60 fps. Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 works like this (unstable at 720p, smooth as butter at 480p).

Not a great compromise but definitely something that might prove useful in some circumstances. Would be curious to see if KZ-Shadowfall supports 720p output as its unlocked framerate could allow for a higher framerate in SP mode (ie - closer to hitting 60 fps).

Something like this would be great, I don't own a Full HD TV anyway. As far as I understand it, a game rendered in the TV's native resolution is always better, i.e. a 720p game would look better/sharper on a 720p tv than a 1080p game would, right?

Top Bottom