• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin McRae Rally (re-mastered for HD) - available on Steam

drowsy

Played a couple of stages. Even though it's a port of a mobile version of a 15 year old game, it's still better than the garbage WRC games that have been coming out in recent years. The stages have actual flow, and basic rally techniques seem to work just fine.

Game is good for what it is. It's not Richard Burns Rally, but then nothing is.

zsidane

I'm confused!
What's the point? CMR2.0 was released on PC (I know that because I still do have my copy and usually install it every 6 to 12 months to play some), and it already looks good.

Fake edit:
So this is the port of a mobile game on PC. Is this a joke? Is this common practice these days? On PC, I only play CIV games and Rocksmith so maybe I'm out of the loop...

What I would LOVE is a port of the first game! I liked how they had these driving licence challenges (like in GT).

Rizzi

I want to hear impressions guys. All I know about the Colin McRae games is that my dad seemed to love them.

Burai

shitonmychest57
I'm confused!
What's the point? CMR2.0 was released on PC (I know that because I still do have my copy and usually install it every 6 to 12 months to play some), and it already looks good.

Fake edit:
So this is the port of a mobile game on PC. Is this a joke? Is this common practice these days? On PC, I only play CIV games and Rocksmith so maybe I'm out of the loop...

What I would LOVE is a port of the first game! I liked how they had these driving licence challenges (like in GT).

They can't digitally distribute CMR2.0 as it was. I can't even begin to imagine the licensing hell they'd have to go through to make that happen.

murgo

Damn, missed the free keys :( Any more coming up? PRETTY PLEASE???

I played these old CMR's to death back in the day. Brilliant games. I would kill for DiRT 4 to go back to those roots.

justbiglee

Neo Member
Damn, missed the free keys :( Any more coming up? PRETTY PLEASE???

I played these old CMR's to death back in the day. Brilliant games. I would kill for DiRT 4 to go back to those roots.

The next DiRT is only going forwards, nobody has ever made a game like it - Rally fans are going to love it :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The next DiRT is only going forwards, nobody has ever made a game like it - Rally fans are going to love it :)

Is there even the slightest chance of ToCA 3 being put back up on Steam? By the time I started collecting Steam games, it was already gone.

Edit: I'll take the lack of acknowledge of this post as a "no".

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Hey guys,

It is indeed a port (kind of) from the mobile version we did last year which is based largely on CMR 2.0. We've touched up the car models, the audio and graphics to better suit the PC (and Mac) though.

Give it a go would love to hear what you think - Here are some keys to get you started (post up when you've claimed on so others don't lock up their Steam accounts trying)

RB3Z0-V93BK-62WGV
0PXG6-PEFDJ-I56WD
ERNWE-BR08N-T4MG7
E08AH-D2MXL-P7390
KXBI0-J92T5-CE553
Of all the times to be asleep...

Did not know that, thanks for the tip :)

Here are a few more

and to be in the shower.

I guess I should chip in with my memories of the series. I remember playing the hell out of the demos for the first two games back in the day. Hell, at times, I would simply play them just so I could see how much damage I could make on the car, because I don't think I ever saw anything like that back then.

If this is like the iOS version then the game is alright, the car's don't handle as well as they did in colin mcrae 2.0 and it seems like they toned down the max speed and slide factor, probably to help control on mobile devices.

If it's cheap then I say give it a play, the iOS version was never updated to have more content and there is only 4 cars, once you beat them all that's it nothing left.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I miss Colin :(

:(

I didn't know this even existed. I think I bought pretty much all the Colin McRae games back in the day, and really enjoyed them so will look at this.

Just as a bit of Codies nostalgia, here is a picture of my big box copy of TOCA 2. Now if Codemasters really did want a return to their roots, a BTCC game wouldn't go amiss!

imag07001hhis4.jpg

Storm360

Justbiglee (or anyone else here), Does it support a G27 wheel?

May look into grabbing it if it does, PS1 version was awesome.

EDIT: Does it also have Cockpit View? Deal breaker for me if it doesn't sadly

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I was a big fan of Rallisport Challenge 2 for OG Xbox.
Is this game similar? Will it scratch the RC2 itch?

Not really, at least not with this being a "mobile port."

Speaking of Rallysport Challenge, I'm kinda ticked Microsoft and DICE haven't talked about putting RC1 on Steam. There's a PC port there they could make money on, FFS!

Wonko_C

Bought this on mobile a few months ago but It was unplayable due to the framerate
on my iPhone 4.

HoosTrax

EDIT: Does it also have Cockpit View? Deal breaker for me if it doesn't sadly
I kind of doubt it. I only saw bonnet cam and overhead cameras in the trailer.

Anyone know if the game includes a codriver reading you pacenotes (trying to figure out how "arcadey" this is).

I kind of doubt it. I only saw bonnet cam and overhead cameras in the trailer.

Anyone know if the game includes a codriver reading you pacenotes (trying to figure out how "arcadey" this is).

Yeah co-driver is there, no cockpit (was none in the iOS version at least)

justbiglee

Neo Member

I didn't know this even existed. I think I bought pretty much all the Colin McRae games back in the day, and really enjoyed them so will look at this.

Just as a bit of Codies nostalgia, here is a picture of my big box copy of TOCA 2. Now if Codemasters really did want a return to their roots, a BTCC game wouldn't go amiss!

imag07001hhis4.jpg

I don't even think we have any of them left!

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I don't even think we have any of them left!
Heh.

Somewhere I have retail copies of the older CMR games and Dirt 1 too, but that would require me going through my loft.

I may go on GOG later to play Colin McRae 2005, for a bit more nostalgia.

imag07001hhis4.jpg

Speaking of codies nostalgia, I have a Micro Machines 2 PC retail box around somewhere I think, will have a look around, lol

I'll take Colin McRae 04 xbox (which runs on 360) over any other McRae. I want a DiRT that gets rid of that shit gymkhana crap and goes back to rally racing.

justbiglee

Neo Member
Just a review from Nerd³ for those who are asking for impressions...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MdFa4R6_hk&list=UUKab3hYnOoTZZbEUQBMx-ww

Just to get back to you guys and some of the points made in that video about it being a port of the mobile version, we've updated the store description to make it clearer what it is players are buying. Wasn't our intention to mislead anybody, the change should be live in the first paragraph and now reads (new bit highlighted in bold)

"From the developers of the multi-million selling franchise and based on content from the 90% Metacritic rated Colin McRae Rally 2.0, Colin McRae Rally for Windows PC features all the tracks and cars from last years top selling mobile title with THIRTY amazing rally stages with a combined distance of over 130km. Go flat out through the dirt and the dust of the Australian outback, take on dramatic climbs through the mountains of Greece and get sideways on the tight and twisty roads of Corsica."

Let me know what you think

If the game plays the same, I don't see the problem with an iOS port. Main problem I see with those mobile ports is that the UI is just not suited to PC. It feels clunky and oversized, I would have expected more from Codemasters.

I actually never played one of these games, despite being into rally games back then. I had Tommi Mäkinen rally, V-Rally 1 and 2.

Sometimes I feel like the only person who wants a new Micro Machines game

Top Bottom