• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Collection of every DS-game reviewed in Famitsu

Bo130

UPDATE (10/25/07): The two lists has been updated with the latest games.

With the latest update this post is too long. See post #63 and #64 instead.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Advance Wars: Dual Strike | 9 / 9 / 8 / 8 | 34/40

this one is missing 6 points for an unknown but incorrect reason.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Sho Nuff said:
Hahahhaha... Famitsu reviews

AHAHAHAHAH Look at the Nintendogs score! L-O-L!!

Why do people on message boards hold this magazine's reviews in such high regard? Especially when it's come out on the way they operate.

Nice list, Bo130!

Hm..... any GAFers ever try out Bobble Bubble DS? (Soon to be Bubble Bobble Revolution?) Is it really as bad as I've heard? Should I just stick with my GBA "Old And New"?

EDIT: Tsk, I of course meant "Bubble Bobble DS." Had a dyslexia moment there.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
If Meteos was #1 then someone might be able to argue that they have some kind of creditable opinion, but it's not.

Peru

jj984jj said:
If Meteos was #1 then someone might be able to argue that they have some kind of creditable opinion, but it's not.
Yes...yes. Meteos is not too high. But the other games are jumbled about seemingly without any logic or rationality.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Angela Liu said:
Nice list, Bo130!

Hm..... any GAFers ever try out Bobble Bubble DS? (Soon to be Bubble Bobble Revolution?) Is it really as bad as I've heard? Should I just stick with my GBA "Old And New"?

It's absolute CRAP. Stick with the GBA game.

There is another Bubble Bobble about to be released for the PSP soon, BTW. Maybe that will turn out well, but I'm not getting my hopes up. :/

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Angela Liu said:
Nice list, Bo130!

I paid for it on a spur of nostalgia. I think I'm up to about level 41 not sure if I'll ever get to the end. The old one that's included is included perfectly and is better than the new one.

The new one is OK fun though. Not worth full price.

I am sick and tired of the people who bitch about Famitsu giving Nintendogs a 40/40.

Leaving aside all other claims to their credibility (or lack thereof), Famitsu did not review this game on a hardcore gamer basis, because that would be the absolutely wrong criteria for a 'non' - game such as this.

They reviewed it on the basis of what it is - a pet sim. And in this aspect Nintendogs knocks down all the competition - and then steps on them. The fact that it received 40/40 for being the best pet-sim down the pipe in who knows how long should not be of surprise to anyone.

You tell me - if they had given Nintendogs a sub-25 score on the basis that there was no goal, no overarching plot and not enough character development, would you consider them more or less credible than the 40/40 it received for what it was?

(But I agree, Advance Wars is 6 points short.)

JCX

typhonsentra said:
Remember when we used to have to pretend Yoshi's Touch N' Go was a good game?

After I got Kirby CC I thought Yoshi T&G was horrible, but lately I've liked it because of its simplicity.

apujanata

Very Nice List. Good to see Nintendogs get 40/40. My friend enjoyed the game a lot.

I myself would rather play Fire Emblem, or Zelda. I am looking forward to Zelda:pH score.

I think everyone is whining about the wrong things:

Pokemon Dash | 8 / 7 / 8 / 8 | 31/40

WHAT. That's an average of 7.75/10. For POKEMON DASH.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
This thread has inspired me to look through my EGM issues and make a collection of every DS game reviewed by EGM

jj984jj

I don't think many people hold any of these reviews in high regard, but we get a Famitsu review of many games before they come out here so I think that's why people look forward to them regardless of how crappy they are at reviewing.

Bo130 said:
Nintendogs | 10 / 10 / 10 / 10 | 40/40
Haven't played it... but how many games honestly deserve a perfect score? I have a feeling Nintendogs isn't one of them.

Meteos | 9 / 9 / 10 / 10 | 38/40
I hate falling block puzzlers.

Mario Kart DS | 9 / 9 / 9 / 9 | 36/40
New Super Mario Bros | 9 / 9 / 9 / 9 | 36/40
Bump these up a couple points.

Another Code: Two Memories | 9 / 10 / 8 / 8 | 35/40
Too high. This game is boring.

Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time | 9 / 9 / 8 / 9 | 35/40
Sounds about right.

Advance Wars: Dual Strike | 9 / 9 / 8 / 8 | 34/40
34 is way too low. 39/40 sounds about right. :)

Kirby and the Magic Paintbrush | 9 / 8 / 8 / 9 | 34/40
Bump it up a point or two.

Super Princess Peach | 9 / 8 / 8 / 9 | 34/40
That's about right.

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow | 9 / 8 / 8 / 8 | 33/40
Too low!

Metroid Prime: Hunters | 7 / 7 / 7 / 8 | 29/40
Too low, but it is Japan after all...

mug

The Japanese responded to Nintendogs in a completely different way than the west. Maybe because dogs are quite difficult and expensive to get.

Bo130 said:
Wario Ware: Touched! | 9 / 9 / 8 / 10 | 36/40

I think *most* of the score makes semi-sense, but this one just seems way to high. I mean who would honestly give this game a 10 after playing Twisted? Some of the other scores look a little high, but you have to consider that during the DS's infancy, these were the best games.

moneyhats on Pokemon Dash

Fireblend

Banned
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow | 9 / 8 / 8 / 8 | 33/40

WTF. Castlevania's the best DS game period.
Ok, maybe not, but it should be in at least the top ten. And Nintendogs got a 10/10/10/10... Sometmes Famitsu isn't *that*accurate :p

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Deku said:
Thread title should be:

GAF misunderstands Famitsu scoring system, disagrees

Exactly.

Saying "Nintendogs scored higher than Phoenix Wright? But I liked Phoenix Wright more!" misses the point that the Nintendogs review has nothing to do with the Phoenix Wright review. They're being reviewed for what they are.

As a non-game virtual pet simulator, what would you improve about Nintendogs? It's pretty much the best virtual pet simulator ever made, and to improve it you'd just be adding expansion packs; more dogs, more toys. There are no game-breaking flaws. It is what it is.

On the other hand, as an FPS, Metroid Prime: Hunters is a solid but certainly unspectacular entry. 7/8s means "Good game, play it, probably even buy it, but it's not perfect". It wasn't.

Metroid Prime Pinball is not a better game than Sonic Rush. Metroid Prime Pinball is a better pinball game verus other sin the genre than Sonic Rush is. This is why Metroid Prime Pinball has a higher score.

I would contest the WarioWare Touched score, since it is easily the "smallest" of the WarioWare games, has the least variety, and really is a rushed entry. Given 6 more months, the game could have been fleshed out a good deal.

This thread reminds me of people who bitch about Roger Ebert because he gave American Pie a better score than Fight Club. Anyone trying to compare the two reviews has missed the point; you don't ever choose between American Pie or Fight Club. No one would say "Gee whiz, which should I watch?" You watch both movies for different reasons. Compare American Pie to Road Trip and There's Something About Mary, not Fight Club.

These reviews are the same.

Bo130

I've been on vacation, but now the list has been updated with a few (~15) localized names and the addition of the 4 DS games from this week (i.e. Tingle)

Jiggy

Kind of hard to take them seriously after seeing Pokemon Dash so high, but other than that they're pretty accurate--at least in the sense that the good games tend to hit the 32+ mark, although the exact numbers from there on are kind of sketchy (probably because of their scoring system). Meteos, ACWW, and Mario Kart are approximately right, Mario Kart is about right, NSMB is too high, Mario and Luigi is too high, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and Tetris DS are right, Advance Wars is too low, Kirby and Peach are right, Castlevania is too low, Metroid Pinball is maybe one point too high.

How Mega Man ZX and Mario 64 didn't break the 32 mark is beyond me, though.

jj984jj

Bo130 said:
I've been on vacation, but now the list has been updated with a few (~15) localized names and the addition of the 4 DS games from this week (i.e. Tingle)
Honestly there is no need to update this thread. It's your own personal business if you want to keep track of the DS reviews, but the majority of this board really doesn't care about Famitsu reviews. People look for the latest reviews because Famitsu usually reviews games before they reach out shores, but few really care about them after that.

Cheebs

jj984jj said:
Honestly there is no need to update this thread. It's your own personal business if you want to keep track of the DS reviews, but the majority of this board really doesn't care about Famitsu reviews. People look for the latest reviews because Famitsu usually reviews games before they reach out shores, but few really care about them after that.
I found this thread interesting as did many who replied. Let him keep updating it. I'll check it out. :)

jj984jj

Cheebs said:
I found this thread interesting as did many who replied. Let him keep updating it. I'll check it out. :)
Most people posted simply to show how discreditable Famitsu's reviews really are.

SantaC

Oldschoolgamer said:
Wtf @ the dawn of sorrow score. A couple points more, it should have been.

castlevania is not that popular in Japan...

atleast nowhere near as in europe and north america.

Bo130

I don't know about you, but I like to be able to compare sequels and such when reviewed in Famitsu, and I still want to share the list with you. The list has been updated, still includes all DS-games, same format. Underneath is a list of all Wii-games now as well. I hope some of you can use it :).

Don't discuss Famitsu in here, just the scores. Some of us agree with them and some of us don't - if you don't, then no need to come in here in the first place :) Enjoy.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
uploadvw9.jpg

Top Bottom