• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Yeah, apparently Knight has been more consistent both running and passing.

I was hoping for Bell to start, since it hasn't been confirmed that he can throw a football further than 8 yards.

Has he ever thrown a pass? I thought the BELLDOZER just came in and ran it?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
IIRC Bell actually set a state passing yards record or two while in high school. Always odd to see those guys turn into players that supposedly can't throw the ball in college.

AAC: Louisville
ACC Winner: Pitt
-Atlantic: Pitt
-Coastal: Miami
Big 12: OSU
B1G Winner: OSU
-Legends: Michigan
-Leaders: OSU
Pac-12 Winner: OSU
-North: OSU
-South: USC
SEC Winner: Missouri
-East: Missouri
-West: Alabama
Championship Game: OSU v. OSU
Winner: OSU
Can't argue with this.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
IIRC Bell actually set a state passing yards record or two while in high school. Always odd to see those guys turn into players that supposedly can't throw the ball in college.

As weird as seeing someone who could throw in High school and College, but can't in the NFL (well, actually, not odd. Was going to say "Tebow" but you could say "90% of College QB's)

Talon

As weird as seeing someone who could throw in High school and College, but can't in the NFL (well, actually, not odd. Was going to say "Tebow" but you could say "90% of College QB's)
Windows get tighter and tighter.

I think of it this way. You play pick up flag football, and there are times where you identify that one tall guy that you feel comfy just throwing that ball up for, regardless of the coverage. I think you can get away with that at the HS level. Less so at the college level. Absolutely not at the Pro level.

Case in point, Allen Iverson was the best QB in Virginia if you ask some folks. There are legendary stories of him making crazy ass plays with his feet and arm - way more impressive than even Vick, apparently.

I think of it this way. You play pick up flag football, and there are times where you identify that one tall guy that you feel comfy just throwing that ball up for, regardless of the coverage. I think you can get away with that at the HS level. Less so at the college level. Absolutely not at the Pro level.

Case in point, Allen Iverson was the best QB in Virginia if you ask some folks. There are legendary stories of him making crazy ass plays with his feet and arm - way more impressive than even Vick, apparently.

Yep, and as for the successful DT QB's in college, there's generally a weakness on any given D line they could exploit in most situations. Not the case in the NFL, which is why very few DT QB's find success in the League

mre

VSzlrGn.jpg
Whoever introduced Joker Phillips to photoshop needs to be tried for crimes against humanity.

AAC: Louisville
ACC Winner: Pitt
-Atlantic: Pitt
-Coastal: Miami
Big 12: OSU
B1G Winner: OSU
-Legends: Michigan
-Leaders: OSU
Pac-12 Winner: OSU
-North: OSU
-South: USC
SEC Winner: Missouri
-East: Missouri
-West: Alabama
Championship Game: OSU v. OSU
Winner: OSU

These picks are legit.

ag-my001

Reading the press release, it looks like the A&M-USCe game will be on the SEC Network. Chances I get to see the game in Maryland?

Please tell me WatchESPN will have these.

Lonestar

Reading the press release, it looks like the A&M-USCe game will be on the SEC Network. Chances I get to see the game in Maryland?

Please tell me WatchESPN will have these.

That guy from Tennessee who won't be named, tweeted on and on (and on) about it being the opening Salvo from the SEC and ESPN, towards Time Warner and other companies who haven't bought in yet on the SECN/PEENSsc. Texas and South Carolina apparently are mostly using cable providers not yet on the PEENSsc ticket.

Draxal

I think of it this way. You play pick up flag football, and there are times where you identify that one tall guy that you feel comfy just throwing that ball up for, regardless of the coverage. I think you can get away with that at the HS level. Less so at the college level. Absolutely not at the Pro level, except if you are throwing to Megatron

Fixed it for you.

Top-senior-TE-Mike-Gesicki-got-a-very-personal-puzzle-from-Ohio-State-Instagram.jpg

Urban Meyer puzzle recruiting Mike Gesicki, STAY OUT OF NJ, MEYER.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

I think "interesting" would have probably been a better word than "odd" in my original post. I get why it happens, it's still just interesting to see a guy go from setting high school passing records and being ranked as the #6 pocket passer in the country as a recruit (not the #6 dual threat) to a guy that pretty much everybody says can't throw for shit.

andycapps

Lonestar, I like what you did with the LSU schedule. Subtle but effective.

I doubt A&M will be a hard game for USCe next year. Manziel won't be there, heck he may not be there this year.

Their 'crootin was pretty good this year but it will take a while to build consistency. Plus, they don't have "the process" there.

Lonestar

Lonestar, I like what you did with the LSU schedule. Subtle but effective.

I doubt A&M will be a hard game for USCe next year. Manziel won't be there, heck he may not be there this year.

Their 'crootin was pretty good this year but it will take a while to build consistency. Plus, they don't have "the process" there.

Copy and Paste job, unfortunatly.

Subitai

Urban Meyer puzzle recruiting Mike Gesicki, STAY OUT OF NJ, MEYER.
Can BO'B still stay though?
Edit:
That's why there were a lot of rumors of UM/PSU/OSU alums living in NJ buying season tickets this year for Rutgers to get in on the cheap.

My tickets were 400 this year, 350+50 donation.
This is so dirty. Rutgers can't even maximize the cash-in if this ends up being true. My apologies.

Draxal

Edit:

This is so dirty. Rutgers can't even maximize the cash-in if this ends up being true. My apologies.

BO'B doesn't really seem to hit NJ that much. Mind you losing Godwin (Delaware) to PSU this year kinda sucked, but then Rutgers rebounded and picked up two 4 star wr's and is going to pick up a third one most likely.

And yeah, I don't think PSU fans are doing it otherwise the PSU/Cuse game at the Meadowlands will be sold out ... and it's not even close to being sold out.

That's why there were a lot of rumors of UM/PSU/OSU alums living in NJ buying season tickets this year for Rutgers to get in on the cheap.

My tickets were 400 this year, 350+50 donation.

I'm in 206 right next to the upper visitors section, the section I wanted but I didn't have enough PP to to get.

Edit:

A lot of people don't want to drop the cash this year for like 2 worthy games, so they'll catch the bandwagon next year.

Pretty much both sidelines are sold out down stairs, only the corners of the upper levels aren't sold out, and some of the original closed end zone.

BO'B doesn't really seem to hit NJ that much. Mind you losing Godwin (Delaware) to PSU this year kinda sucked, but then Rutgers rebounded and picked up two 4 star wr's and is going to pick up a third one most likely.

And yeah, I don't think PSU fans are doing it otherwise the PSU/Cuse game at the Meadowlands will be sold out ... and it's not even close to being sold out.

I'm in 206 right next to the upper visitors section, the section I wanted but I didn't have enough PP to to get.

I lucked last year when I bought my tickets. I just punched in best available and it gave me first row, 50 yard line, home side. Apparently I bought them the day the original owner didn't renew.

The PSU/Cuse game is going to be sad for the Orange. If they bring 10k I'd be amazed. They only sold 20k last year for USC

Schmitty

who the hell actually wants to go to the meadowlands for college football? Neutral sites are the worst for regular season. I'd rather go to Cuse and see their campus/stadium. psu had a neutral game with INDIANA there a few years ago and it was awful.

who the hell actually wants to go to the meadowlands for college football? Neutral sites are the worst for regular season. I'd rather go to Cuse and see their campus/stadium. psu had a neutral game with INDIANA there a few years ago and it was awful.

Even as depressing as the concrete jungle of Metlife can be, it still light years better than the Big Top Tent in the tundra of Cuse where the Orange play.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes

The neutral site week 1 games in Dallas (Lsu-tcu) and Atlanta (bama-va tech) will be full and loud stadiums. I doubt miss st.-okie st. Will fill up reliant in Houston.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

Shit, just look at Greg Paulus. Was a top 5 QB who turned down ND to play PG at Duke

he should have taken the football scholarship

jjasper

Strange that we are going to start playing FL in Oct and next year we don't play our first SEC game until the last weekend of September.

mre

Strange that we are going to start playing FL in Oct and next year we don't play our first SEC game until the last weekend of September.
We're easing you out of the SEC gently. Sorry you had to find out this way. :(

Lonestar

We're easing you out of the SEC gently. Sorry you had to find out this way. :(

Well, Alabama's not playing an SEC team till the 20th. Just outside the last week of September.

But then again, if Alabama wants to go Independent to get away from the overabundance of Orange/Tigers, so be it.

mre

I figured it was coming. The state doesn't care enough about college football anymore to please you people.
Whoa, now. Vandy's doing everything it can to be SEC this off-season. Don't go pushing your feelings of inadequacy off onto them.
I went to the 2009 bama/vt game in atl, the atmosphere at the game was great.
At the rate your players are dropping, if you go to the game this year, Beamer may pull you out of the stands to play.

jjasper

Whoa, now. Vandy's doing everything it can to be SEC this off-season. Don't go pushing your feelings of inadequacy off onto them.

They are trying hard but even with that solid effort by the players they sold less season tickets this year than last.

FyreWulff

I wonder how long Nebraska's sell out streak is going to keep going.

I mean if Bill Callahan's losing season didn't do it, I don't know what the fuck will. Expanding the stadium too much in one go and failing to sell the tickets to cover all the seats added in the expansion?

KingGondo

Banned
Why don't you just sell them all and be done with setting yearly records?
We're working on it. This state is still 80% OU fans.

If you transported an OSU fan from before the 2000s to now, their head would explode. Pretty amazing how far we've come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom