• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 14 - Last Chance (For Chaos)

uspw_4023143.jpg

"I'm sure that he could give you everything"

"Stability and diamond rings"

"All the things I do not have"

"I understand you can't handle that"

"But for everything that I lack"

"I provide something you almost had"

"Hot flesh that you yearn to grab"

"Pit of your stomach you're still so sad"

College Football Playoff said:
1 Clemson 12-0
2 Alabama 11-1
3 Oklahoma 11-1
4 Iowa 12-0
5 Michigan State 11-1
6 Ohio State 11-1
7 Stanford 10-2
8 Notre Dame 10-2
9 Florida State 10-2
10 North Carolina 11-1
11 TCU 10-2 8
12 Baylor 9-2
13 Ole Miss 9-3
14 Northwestern 10-2
15 Michigan 9-3
16 Oregon 9-3
17 Oklahoma State 10-2
18 Florida 10-2 6
19 Houston 11-1
20 USC 8-4
21 LSU 8-3
22 Temple 10-2
23 Navy 9-2
24 Utah 9-3
25 Tennessee 8-4

Schedule said:
Friday, December 4
Bowling Green Northern Illinois 5:00 PM ESPN2 WatchESPN Ford Field, Detroit, MI

Saturday, December 5
#22 Temple #19 Houston 9:00 AM ABC WatchESPN TDECU Stadium, Houston, TX
Texas #12 Baylor 9:00 AM ESPN3 ESPN WatchESPN McLane Stadium, Waco, TX
Southern Mississippi Western Kentucky 9:00 AM ESPN2 WatchESPN L.T. Smith Stadium, Bowling Green, KY
Georgia State Georgia Southern 11:00 AM ESPN3 WatchESPN Allen E. Paulson Stadium, Statesboro, GA
Texas State Arkansas State 12:00 PM ESPN3 WatchESPN Centennial Bank Stadium, Jonesboro, AR
New Mexico State Louisiana Monroe 12:00 PM ESPN3 WatchESPN Malone Stadium, Monroe, LA
#18 Florida #2 Alabama 1:00 PM CBS Georgia Dome, Atlanta, GA
West Virginia Kansas State 1:30 PM FS1 Bill Snyder Family Stadium, Manhattan, KS
Troy Louisiana Lafayette 2:00 PM ESPN3 WatchESPN Cajun Field, Lafayette, LA
Appalachian State South Alabama 4:30 PM ESPN3 WatchESPN Ladd-Peebles Stadium, Mobile, AL
Air Force San Diego State 4:30 PM ESPN2 WatchESPN Qualcomm Stadium, San Diego, CA
#20 USC #7 Stanford 4:45 PM ESPN3 ESPN WatchESPN Levi's Stadium, Santa Clara, CA
#5 Michigan State #4 Iowa 5:00 PM FOX Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, IN
#10 North Carolina #1 Clemson 5:00 PM ABC WatchESPN Bank of America Stadium, Charlotte, NC

Heisman said:
Does anyone even give a shit about it this year?

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Does your team still have a shot at a pity bowl bid?

Ignore if late news:

5-7 bid scenarios (Updated 12/2)
  • Nebraska: Needs no teams to lose. 5-7 bid. Will accept.
  • Missouri: Needs no teams to lose. 5-7 bid. Will decline.
  • Kansas St.: Needs no team to lose. 5-7 bid only if they lose to WVU, otherwise 6-6 berth. Acceptance dependent on player willingness.
  • Minnesota and San Jose St.: Needs at least at least two 5-6 teams to lose next week for guaranteed 5-7 bids to both. Toss-up (bowl's choice/tie-in deals/luck-of-the-draw) for a single bid between them if only K-State loses, or all three win this week. Both would accept.
  • Illinois and Rice: If all three 5-6 teams lose, toss up for last spot. If K-State win and the other two lose, toss up for last spot. If only one team loses, or K-State loses at all, or all three win, no bid. Illinois says they would accept; can't find anything about Rice's willingness.
  • All other 5-7 teams (6 to 10 total, potentially starting with Texas or UTEP) dependent on APR pecking order and declined bids.

You can check my math and see APR rankings here.

This actually gives me an idea, and I really think it should be implemented that any team accepting bowl bids as a 5-7 team should make sacrifices and have some privileges taken away.

What if teams had to choose one of the following:

Your team can play in the bowl, but...
...players transportation to the site will be via public Greyhound busses
...your head coach must wear a rainbow clown wig on the sideline during the game
...your team hotel is a Motel 6
...team meals will be provided by the cafeteria from the nearest prison facility
...all player gifts must be donated to charity
...etc

McCaffrey deserves the Heisman but won't win it.

Henry has more yards, more touchdowns, his team has had a harder sos and they have a better win-loss record.

I saw mccaffrey play against ucla, he's lucky there are some bad defences in the pac-12.

Mccaffrey is good, but I'd say Henry's season has been better.

Henry has more yards, more touchdowns, his team has had a harder sos and they have a better win-loss record.

I saw mccaffrey play against ucla, he's lucky there are some bad defences in the pac-12.

Mccaffrey is good, but I'd say Henry's season has been better.

McCaffrey has the most yards of anybody in the country and will most likely break the record for yards gained by a player in a season ever, a record that has stood for nearly three decades.

The Heisman presumably goes to the best player. Not the best team.

Henry is lucky there are some atrocious defenses in the SEC too, not to mention cupcakes on the schedule like Charleston Southern.

Ultimately though he played in too many late night west coast games so half the country was asleep while he was pulling up yards in every way imaginable.

Limedust

Reposting from the other thread...

mre said:
I'll be annoyed if Kirby doesn't stay and coach the playoffs, assuming we beat Florida. Other than that, December is pretty much a month of downtime, and he'd have plenty of time to work on putting together his staff. Not so worried about that.

Agreed.

I will add that Football Scoop sounds like they're just making shit up, as they frequently do, and I will be heavily surprised if Pruitt returns to Bama in place of Smart. I fully expect that Tucker is being prepared / promoted to DC if Smart is leaving.

Draconian

McCaffrey has the most yards of anybody in the country and will most likely break the record for yards gained by a player in a season ever, a record that has stood for nearly three decades.

Henry is lucky there are some atrocious defenses in the SEC too, not to mention cupcakes on the schedule like Charleston Southern.

Ultimately though he played in too many late night west coast games so half the country was asleep while he was pulling up yards in every way imaginable.

Uhh Henry didn't even get 100 yds against Charleston Southern because he was pulled so fast.

You are basically arguing for this guy to win the Heisman.

379px-Darren_Sproles.JPG

And yes, he is like him. Fantastic player in the league and at Kansas State as McCaffery is fantastic as Stanford. But between McCaffery and Henry. Henry should get it.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Bonus Gondo State gif -

b6cDOXe.gif

I'll be annoyed if Kirby doesn't stay and coach the playoffs, assuming we beat Florida. Other than that, December is pretty much a month of downtime, and he'd have plenty of time to work on putting together his staff. Not so worried about that.

December being a month of downtime is one of the reasons he may want to leave as soon as possible. December 14th - January 13th is a dead period for recruiting (can't contact recruits, though they can contact you) so there are a whole lot of calls and visits coaches try to get crammed in before that starts. You also need a staff to make those calls and visits so hiring quickly is a fairly big deal.

Playoffs are obviously a quite different than normal situation, though. Didn't Herman stay with Ohio State during the playoffs last season before leaving for Houston?

JHall

I'm planning on being numb by halftime through alcohol consumption. With that being said...

Go Gators!

Oh man... I'm still in awe over Patrick Hobbs' first press conference.

My god man. It was the press conference to end all press conferences. He just went in there, SEARCHED, DESTROYED, AND MADE ALL THE REPORTERS WORSHIP HIM!

I'm just rewatching the press conference over and over.

So it looks like Syracuse probably did lowball and Frost wanted a short contract in return.

UCF is at 1.7 million base with 250k in incentives for 5 years. Don't know any buyout yet.

2.3 million assistant budget.

Lunar15

I'm planning on being numb by halftime through alcohol consumption. With that being said...

Go Gators!

SEC Championship is a nice little prize after we stayed up way past our bedtime. I'm just happy to be there.

I'm going to gloat so much if we win though. Go Gators, destroy the credibility of the SEC

So it looks like Syracuse probably did lowball and Frost wanted a short contract in return.

UCF is at 1.7 million base with 250k in incentives for 5 years. Don't know any buyout yet.

Scott Frost is an ok hire.

He's certainly below what Rutgers is going to get. Your new AD is nowhere near as skilled as our new AD. Your new guy is maybe a Julie Hermann level AD.

Go Rutgers!

Nialrot

850k Buyout.

Assistant budget is the biggie. Should put us ahead of the entire AAC and a quite few Power 5 teams.

Looking better and better!

Quake1028

Matt Porter ✔ @mattyports

FWIW:

@Canesport reporting on its message board that Richt “told Maryland and Virginia no” & his wife “signed off on the move.”

FWIW.
9:38 AM - 2 Dec 2015

:jnc

Lunar15

Yeah, because Bama is the only actually good team we'll be playing in November.
No, I'm not salty, why are you asking?

I think we'll actually get shutout this time. Unless there's a pick 6.

I hope that with some of our OL returning and Robinson hopefully deciding to not sneak out before the game this time, we can put together at least one scoring drive.

You are basically arguing for this guy to win the Heisman.

379px-Darren_Sproles.JPG

And yes, he is like him. Fantastic player in the league and at Kansas State as McCaffery is fantastic as Stanford. But between McCaffery and Henry. Henry should get it.

Reggie Bush won a Heisman in part because he had more all purpose yards than anyone in that year. Part of the reason people like guys who gain a lot of all purpose yards like McCaffrey is that its easier to separate out his ability from a guy like Henry whose only contribution is running behind a bunch of future NFL linemen.

Also we don't really want to start going the route of comparing people to NFL guys with Alabama running backs do we? Because if anything that kind of further dilutes the argument for Henry.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Reggie Bush won a Heisman in part because he had more all purpose yards than anyone in that year. Part of the reason people like guys who gain a lot of all purpose yards like McCaffrey is that its easier to separate out his ability from a guy like Henry whose only contribution is running behind a bunch of future NFL linemen.

Also we don't really want to start going the route of comparing people to NFL guys with Alabama running backs do we? Because if anything that kind of further dilutes the argument for Henry.
I don't think you've seen our line play this year, because they have been bad. Like, 84th in the country in allowing tackles for loss, bad: http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/leader/national/team/defense/split01/category21/sort01.html

They've played better recently, and in November they were 5th in nation in that category, but that should underscore just how god awful they were the first 3 months of the season (115th in October and 99th in August/September).

Draxal

I don't think you've seen our line play this year, because they have been bad. Like, 84th in the country in allowing tackles for loss, bad: http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/leader/national/team/defense/split01/category21/sort01.html

They've played better recently, and in November they were 5th in nation in that category, but that should underscore just how god awful they were the first 3 months of the season (115th in October and 99th in August/September).

You guys complaining about this has me completely soured with Cristobal.

I mean he definitely isn't a bad one, but how hard is it to recruit somebody to Tuscaloosa?

Why are you so negative?

Why do you lack faith in Hobbs? If he's a great candidate, then Hobbs will hire him. If he's not, he won't. Patrick Hobbs is the man. Just accept it Draxal. Stop being such a negative nelly.

You are the most negative poster in this thread. I always have to apologize to other posters about your pessimism on Rutgers!

Draxal

I really want Riley to go to South Carolina, as he'd be a real young one (32 years old).

Why are you so negative?

Why do you lack faith in Hobbs? If he's a great candidate, then Hobbs will hire him. If he's not, he won't. Patrick Hobbs is the man. Just accept it Draxal. Stop being such a negative nelly.

You are the most negative poster in this thread. I always have to apologize to other posters about your pessimism on Rutgers!

Petey is more negative than me!

If I was Cuse I wouldn't sign off on that buyout, it's a bad look.
Something made him ask for 2 years. The buyout is whatever. If he is doing that well, it wouldn't stop him leaving for a bigger school anyway.

My chief concern was the contract length. Whether or not he actually intends to be there for the full 5 years.

andycapps

Yeah, apparently Frost went with a lower salary in exchange for a larger pool for his assistants.

Reposting from last thread.

Muschamp to Sakerlina might be happening. Reaching out to Jeff Scott (co-OC at Clempson) to be OC there.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Doesn't it seem like Muschamp has more problems than his inability to put together an offense? Namely human relations issues?

Dude seems to need anger management. Do his players like him?

Top Bottom