• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colossal - Anyone seen it?

Huh - just watched this last night. Really, really liked it.

A strange movie for sure, but it was weird and different in all the right ways. Kind of starts to go places halfway through that I wasn't expecting.

I can't handle the tonal sharp turn. Why even add the giant monster thing? The origin story that made no sense is really too convoluted and out of nowhere. Just do a psycho movie!

Nephtis

It would be an ok movie if the transitions from one scene to the next didn't suck.

Gloria backs from the kiss, next night she sleeps with him

Dude goes from seemingly nice guy to super psycho

No one seems to get drunk in this movie. I mean they do but they don't exhibit any of the symptoms at all other than passing out (for Anne)

Gloria makes the trip from the US to South Korea in a matter of approximately 15 minutes.

Her wig was really bad too. The movie was just weird overall and seemed to miss all the notes for me.

Epcott

I'm of two minds about this movie.

This is probably what "Love Life of an Asian Guy" would say if he had seen this:
These two entitled white pricks from America put the lives of innocent Koreans in danger due to drunken escapades, because (surprise surprise) the world revolves around them. And they couldn't even be bothered to have the kaiju part of the story actually take place in Japan, where it originated. It's like they said "Oh, Seoul has Asian people... it'll do." And the protagonist girl becomes the great white hope only after killing several hundred people. She's the douche bag that becomes savior. And whats with the man-baby knowingly committing genocide because he can't get his way, in the third act? Typical snowflake behavior.

However, my normal "Hay, take it easy, guy" take was:
Pretty cool, personal story between two friends realized as an epic rubber monster fight. What's awesome about Sudeikis is how he originally leads you to believe he's this decent "Knight" and good buddy, but his friend (Tim) is the asshole good looking guy making the moves on his vulnerable buddy. The end was pretty ingenious when Hathaway's character traveled to Seoul. I kinda think Tim was spineless, but his mistreatment by his condescending buddy was uncalled for.

Not sure how I really feel about it. Probably somewhere in between.

This was super weird tonally, just all over the place. I appreciated that it made the characters' flaws feel a little too real at times (Sudeikis was terrifying at his worst and a pretty realistic abuser), but the kaijuu angle didn't fit and didn't feel believable within the movie's context. It really feels like it was wedged into a somewhat better movie about alcoholism and abusiveness. It's marked as a comedy on iTunes, and I really wasn't expecting one, but there's not much that's funny about it.

Just finished watching this I really liked. Didn't know what to expect at all going into this since the premise was so weird and the movie ended up being equally weird. But I think it worked for the most part. Was not expecting the movie to go the places it did. I read this thread before watching it so I knew a tonal switch would happen but even with this in mind I was still surprised at the direction the film went.

I do agree that it does have some flaws and
that the film making the BF out to be an asshole is kind of wierd since all of his actions towards the MC are pretty well justified.

Just saw this last night and found it pretty interesting. A very unique story that I found well told. Don't nit pick the details about how the kaiju work, just enjoy the performances by Hathaway and Sudeikis.

Top Bottom