• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comic recommendations for you fine folk here! Sci-Fi, horror, fantasy and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Hi, people.

I made the thread recommending Grant Morrison's Nameless sometime back. Got a good response. As I promised, here are a lot more comic recommendations. If you're remotely interested in science fiction, horror, fantasy, action and more, then give these a look There's a wealth of good storytelling out there, and this is just the tip. Here we go.

I'll be updating the thread with more recommendations from time to time.
----

1. Clean Room (VERTIGO)

Clean-Room-1-Cover.jpg

'It’s the start of the first Vertigo series from fan-favorite writer Gail Simone, with 2000AD artist Jon Davis-Hunt! Astrid Mueller is the enigmatic and compelling guru of a giant self-help organization—a devastatingly powerful figure in the industry between psychology and religion. Journalist Chloe Pierce’s fiancé decided to pick up Astrid’s book, and within three months he was dead. Something in Astrid Mueller’s book made Philip blow his brains out all over Chloe’s new kitchen.

Now Chloe is on a mission to find out who Astrid Mueller really is. What is this Clean Room she’s been hearing about where your deepest fear and worst moments are revealed? Chloe intends to immerse herself in the Clean Room and wreak havoc on Astrid’s empire.'

2. Nailbiter (IMAGE)

Nailbiter_01-1.png

'Buckaroo, Oregon has given birth to sixteen of the vilest serial killers in the world. An obsessed FBI profiler investigating the town has suddenly gone missing, and now an NSA Agent must work with the notorious serial killer Edward “Nailbiter” Warren to find his friend and solve the mystery of “Where do serial killers come from?” “If Josh died I wish he’d leave NAILBITER to me in his will so I could say it was my idea.” -Scott Snyder '

3. Annihilator (LEGENDARY)

2014-09-02-annihilator.jpg

'Legendary Comics proudly presents Annihilator, an original graphic novel odyssey from the subversive mind of Grant Morrison. This 6-issue series is a reality-bending sci-fi adventure like no other, brought to life with stunning artwork from Frazer Irving (Batman and Robin, Judge Dredd, Necronauts).

Washed-up Hollywood screenwriter Ray Spass is caught in a downward spiral of broken relationships, wild parties and self-destruction. Out of luck and out of chances, he's one failed script away from fading into obscurity. Little does he know he's about to write the story of his life.

As his imagination runs rampant, Ray must join forces with his own fictional character Max Nomax on a reality-bending race to stop the entire universe from imploding... without blowing his own mind in the process.'

4. Descender (IMAGE)

Descender_01-1.png

'One young robot’s struggle to stay alive in a universe where all androids have been outlawed and bounty hunters lurk on every planet. A rip-roaring and heart-felt cosmic odyssey that pits humanity against machine, and world against world, to create a sprawling space opera from the creators of Trillium, Sweet Tooth, and Little Gotham.'

5. Monstress (IMAGE)

Monstress%20Issue%201%20Cover.jpg

'Astonishing X-Men and Black Widow writer MARJORIE LIU returns to comics with artist SANA TAKEDA (X-23) for an all-new ONGOING SERIES! Steampunk meets Kaiju in this original fantasy epic for mature readers, as young Maika risks everything to control her psychic link with a monster of tremendous power, placing her in the center of a devastating war between human and otherworldly forces.'

6. The Goddamned (IMAGE)

TheGoddamned01-Cvr-ab5f6.jpg

'Writer JASON AARON & artist R.M. GUÉRA, the creators of the seminal crime series SCALPED, reunite for a new ongoing series of stark and brutal biblical noir, which begins with a SPECIAL OVER-SIZED DEBUT ISSUE featuring thirty pages of story. "And the earth was filled with violence." Genesis 6:11 It's 1,655 years after Eden, and life on Earth has already gone to hell. The world of man is a place of wanton cruelty and wickedness. Prehistoric monsters and stone-age marauders roam the land. Murder and destruction are the rule of the day. Humankind is a failed experiment. This is life before the Flood. The story of man on the verge of his first apocalypse. Welcome to the world of the Goddamned.'

7. Black Magick (IMAGE)

BlackMagick_01-1.png

'The hammer falls this Halloween! From New York Times bestselling and Eisner Award-winning writer GREG RUCKA (LAZARUS, Stumptown, Gotham Central) and superstar artist NICOLA SCOTT (Birds of Prey, Secret Six, Earth 2)! Detective Rowan Black works robbery/homicide for the Portsmouth PD, but her greatest mystery is the truth about herself...both who she has been, and who she will become. Yet there are others in Rowan's world with very long memories, and the power that one person holds, another will always covet. PLUS, each issue also features an all-new work of original fiction by GREG RUCKA! A new gothic-noir ongoing series about legacy, destiny, redemption...and the price of magic.'

8. Roche Limit (IMAGE)

RocheLimit_01-1.png

'Our destiny is the stars, and I will lead us there." 'Twenty years after this promise, billionaire Langford Skaargard's dream of cosmic exploration is no more. Roche Limit, a colony situated on the cusp of a mysterious energy anomaly, is a melting pot of crime and terrible secrets. When Bekkah Hudson goes missing, the search to find her will plunge her sister and a cadre of the colony's underworld figures into an odyssey that reveals a grim future for mankind.'

9. Joe the Barbarian (VERTIGO)

JoetheBarbarian7-cover.jpg

'Having an overactive imagination can get a kid through a lot, but it doesn't change the facts: Joe's still the kid in school that can't fit in. He's the victim of bullies. His dad died overseas in the Iraq war. And then there's the Type 1 diabetes he has to live with.So is it insulin-deprived delirium or something much, much bigger that transports Joe to a land inhabited by all his toys – from ninja commandos to action robots to magical knights to star fleet captains? Is Joe really the savior of this wild fantasyland that's been held under siege by dark magic and evil forces? With the help of a samurai rodent, is he ready to take back besieged castles and win the freedom of an oppressed people? Or is he just an over imaginative boy who could die if he doesn't take his meds?White-hot writer Grant Morrison follows up his phenomenal BATMAN AND ROBIN with an epic adventure that's Home Alone by way of Lord of the Rings accompanied with to-die-for Art by future superstar Sean Murphy (YEAR ONE: BATMAN/SCARECROW, HELLBLAZER).'

10. Code Pru (AVATAR)

CodePru1-Regular-600x928.jpg

'Coming from Avatar Press in January, a brand new horror comedy by Garth Ennis and Raulo Caceres.

'Pru wants to join the FDNY and help people as a paramedic. But instead she gets assigned to a special unit that tends to the monsters that live in modern day New York. Vampires, zombies, ghouls and all the creepy things that live around us in the shadows. Only thing is, no one told her any of this. Time for Pru to learn that these things exist, on the job. And what the hell to do with them when you realise that they do exist. This is Men In Black, if the aliens were monsters and the Man in question was a Woman…'

11. Black Science (IMAGE)

blackscience01_coverA.jpg

'Grant McKay, former member of The Anarchistic Order of Scientists, has finally done the impossible: He has deciphered Black Science and punched through the barriers of reality. But what lies beyond the veil is not epiphany, but chaos. Now Grant and his team are lost, living ghosts shipwrecked on an infinite ocean of alien worlds, barreling through the long-forgotten, ancient, and unimaginable dark realms. The only way is forward. The only question is how far are they willing to go, and how much can they endure, to get home again? Join writer RICK REMENDER and the superstar art team of MATTEO SCALERA & DEAN WHITE for this face-melting science fiction epic spanning the lifetimes of a cast of dimensional castaways lead by the man who caused it all'

12. Birthright (IMAGE)

birthright01.jpg

'For the Rhodes family, losing their son was the most devastating thing that could've ever occurred… but it couldn't prepare them for what happened when he returned.'

13. Fatale (IMAGE)

Fatale-V1.jpg

'GUNS! SEX! SECRET CULTS! AND MONSTERS! Nothing the BEST-SELLING and AWARD-WINNING creators of SLEEPER, CRIMINAL and INCOGNITO have done so far will prepare you for the explosive debut of FATALE!

A reporter in 2012 stumbles on a secret that leads him down the darkest path imaginable… to a seductive woman who’s been on the run since 1935, a mobster who may be an immortal demon monster, and the stories of all the doomed men who’ve been caught in their decades-long struggle. FATALE blends noir and horror to tell a riveting epic unlike anything you’ve seen before.

14. The Filth (VERTIGO)

filth.jpg

"For sheer audacity and density of ideas, [THE FILTH] will stand up to many readings."—PUBLISHERS WEEKLY"Chris Weston's straightforward but imaginative art makes the wildly outrageous story convincing … ideal for fans of 'challenging' comics and [science fiction]."—BOOKLIST Grant Morrison's 13-issue maxiseries is collected in one mammoth volume. This imaginative series was a heady brew of big ideas, exotic locales and bizarre action, featuring some of the wildest imagery in all of comics, including prosthetically outfitted dolphins in scuba gear and a hard-smoking chimpanzee in Kremlin garb.

15. Ghosted (IMAGE)

ghosted_vol1-1.jpg

'Jackson T. Winters is one of the greatest criminal masterminds to ever live…except he’s rotting in jail after his last doomed score. But when a filthy rich collector breaks Winters out, he’s tasked to put together an elite team of paranormal experts to do the impossible: steal a ghost from a haunted house of horrors! Skybound’s horror/crime mash-up is equal parts Ocean’s 11 and The Shining, by writer JOSHUA WILLIAMSON (MASKS AND MOBSTERS, Captain Midnight) and artist GORAN SUDZUKA (OUTLAW NATION, Y: The Last Man)!'

16. Lazarus (IMAGE)

FINAL_LAZARUS_001_Cover_Color-Logo-Text-sized.jpg

"FAMILY," Part One: In a dystopian near-future, government is a quaint concept, resources are coveted, and possession is 100% of the law. A handful of Families rule, jealously guarding what they have and exploiting the Waste who struggle to survive in their domains. Forever Carlyle defends her family's holdings through deception and force as their protector, their Lazarus. Shot dead defending the family home, Forever's day goes downhill from there..

17. Deadly Class (IMAGE)

deadly.jpg

'It’s 1987. Marcus Lopez hates school. His grades suck. He has no money. The jocks are hassling his friends. He can't focus in class, thanks to his mind constantly drifting to the stunning girl in the front row and the Dag Nasty show he has tickets to. But the jocks are the children of Joseph Stalin's top assassin, the teachers are members of an ancient league of assassins, the class he’s failing is "Dismemberment 101," and his crush, a member of the most notorious crime syndicate in Japan, has a double-digit body count.

Welcome to the most brutal high school on Earth, where the world’s top crime families send the next generation of assassins to be trained. Murder is an art. Killing is a craft. At King’s Dominion High School for the Deadly Arts, the dagger in your back isn’t always metaphorical, nor is your fellow classmates' poison.

Join writer RICK REMENDER with rising star WESLEY CRAIG (Batman) and legendary colorist LEE LOUGHRIDGE (Fear Agent) to reminisce about the mid-1980s underground through the eyes of the most damaged and dangerous teenagers on Earth.'

18. The Twilight Children (VERTIGO)

The-Twilight-Children.jpg

'For the first time ever, legendary comics creators Gilbert Hernandez (Love and Rockets) and Darwyn Cooke (DC: THE NEW FRONTIER) have joined forces for a surreal project unlike anything you’ve ever read before!

When a white orb washes up on the shore of a remote Latin American village, a group of children naturally poke at the strange object to see what it is. The orb explodes, leaving the children completely blind. And when a beautiful young woman who may be an alien is found wandering the seafront, she’s taken in by the townspeople, but soon becomes a person of interest to a quirky pair of undercover CIA agents, and the target of affection for a young scientist. Can they come together to prevent an all-out alien invasion and save the souls in this sleepy, seaside town?'

19. The Manhattan Projects (IMAGE)

prv11667_cov.jpg

'What if the research and development department created to produce the first atomic bomb was a front for a series of other, more unusual, programs? What if the union of a generation's brightest minds was not a signal for optimism, but foreboding? What if everything went wrong? Welcome to THE MANHATTAN PROJECTS, a brand new, ongoing, monthly comic from the creators of THE RED WING. Brought to you by award-winning writer JONATHAN HICKMAN and possibly the best new talent of the year, NICK PITARRA, THE MANHATTAN PROJECTS is a look at history through a darker, much stranger, lens.'

20. Black Hole (PANTHEON)

Eliza-Black-Hole-4.jpg

'The setting: suburban Seattle, the mid-1970s. We learn from the outset that a strange plague has descended upon the area’s teenagers, transmitted by sexual contact. The disease is manifested in any number of ways — from the hideously grotesque to the subtle (and concealable) — but once you’ve got it, that’s it. There’s no turning back.

As we inhabit the heads of several key characters — some kids who have it, some who don’t, some who are about to get it — what unfolds isn’t the expected battle to fight the plague, or bring heightened awareness to it , or even to treat it. What we become witness to instead is a fascinating and eerie portrait of the nature of high school alienation itself — the savagery, the cruelty, the relentless anxiety and ennui, the longing for escape.

And then the murders start.

As hypnotically beautiful as it is horrifying, Black Hole transcends its genre by deftly exploring a specific American cultural moment in flux and the kids who are caught in it- back when it wasn’t exactly cool to be a hippie anymore, but Bowie was still just a little too weird.'

21. Colder (DARK HORSE)

2607101.jpg

'Declan has gone from a mere human to a reluctant hero—all while the subject of the horrific machinations of the monstrous creature Nimble Jack. But our hero’s trials have only begun, as Jack flits freely between Boston and a deranged and dark reality known as the Hungry World, uniting agents of madness with only one purpose: to slaughter and consume Declan!'

22. Faster Than Light (IMAGE)

FTL_01_Cvr-r.1a-600x911.jpg

'In the very near future we discover the secret of faster-than-light travel. Suddenly the universe is wide open to us, but are we ready for it? With all the idealism of the original Star Trek and the grit and immediacy of Gravity, the story of humanity's first thrilling and terrifying adventures to the stars takes flight!'

I've been reading quite a few of those. Especially all stuff from Image. Low, Rachel Rising, Coffin Hill, Wild Blue Yonder, Bitch Planet, Shutter, Wayward, Tokyo Ghost... Are some I've been reading or read.

Will recommend some stuff in a bit. Got into comics last year and I was just blown away by all the fascinating and interesting sci-fi/horror series. I like some DC and Marvel stuff, but the wealth and variety of non-superhero comics is astounding

I love reading books and watching movies and shows, but the art in comics is effective in its own unique way to bring other worlds and horrors to life.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I've been reading quite a few of those. Especially all stuff from Image. Low, Rachel Rising, Coffin Hill, Wild Blue Yonder, Bitch Planet, Shutter, Wayward, Tokyo Ghost... Are some I've been reading or read.

I've been meaning to check out Low and Tokyo Ghost. The amount of stuff at Image is mind boggling.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Will recommend some stuff in a bit. Got into comics last year and I was just blown away by all the fascinating and interesting sci-fi/horror series. I like some DC and Marvel stuff, but the wealth and variety of non-superhero comics is astounding

I love reading books and watching movies and shows, but the art in comics is effective in its own unique way to bring other worlds and horrors to life.

Same. It's a brilliant medium, and I can't get enough of it.

Do check out Valiant Comics for some Kickass superhero stories and characters.

I'll 2nd Deadly Class, Black Science, Black Hole & Lazarus. So many amazing comics right now so I'll just say that I've recently read through the whole of Stray Bullets and it's one of my favorite comics ever made. Just one of my favorite things every made, really. Everyone should read Stray Bullets.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I'll 2nd Deadly Class, Black Science, Black Hole & Lazarus. So many amazing comics right now so I'll just say that I've recently read through the whole of Stray Bullets and it's one of my favorite comics ever made. Just one of my favorite things every made, really. Everyone should read Stray Bullets.

Cool. Noted this down. Any more recommendations?

Spread - Imagine the post post-apocalypse world of Mad Max, all crazy gangs and bleak survival, in the frozen north, + the gory body horror of The Thing, if the organism had escaped from the Arctic and ravaged the world + a stoic badass protagonist caring for a baby in this fucked-up world. That's Spread

Planetoid - It's only 5 issues long, a simple concise story about a crashed soldier who only wants to get back home, but engrosses you with its gorgeous art, mysterious mechanical landscape, and visual storytelling

Ferals - This is less atmospheric horror, and more EC-style pulpy action horror. The recent werewolf film thread made me think of this one. If you like your werewolves as vicious limb-tearing beasts and want gory action in a small town under siege by these ruthless monsters, check out Ferals

Enormous - Enormous isn't very complicated. You can sum up its premise quite easily: tiny humans trying to survive among giant monsters. And there's no Godzilla to save us. The art is fantastic, really captures the scale of the creatures and how ineffective we are against them. A cool take on the apocalyptic survival genre

Crossed - Crossed is a pretty divisive comic, but I enjoyed it. It makes surviving the world of the Walking Dead look like child's play. It's a bleak uncompromising zombie survival story, except the zombies aren't undead but rather thinking people driven to inflict horrific violence. The first (and only arc worth reading) follows the intimate practically day-by-day story of a small group, the impossible choices they have to make, their struggle to have hope and push on another day.

All of Remender's Image books are good. Deadly Class is by far my favorite (feels very personal to Rick and the art is super stylish) but Low and Tokyo Ghost are cool too. Tokyo Ghost has kind of a weak first two issues but it gets much better IMO.

Also want to give a mention to Island. It's a monthly anthology comic curated by Emma Rios and Brandon Graham. It highlights work by a lot of brand-new creators and it's pretty rad! Rumble is another dope Image comic.

It's got a pretty big following in ComicsGAF but I'd also recommend Rachel Rising for anyone who wants a more supernatural/horror comic. The characters are all incredibly charming and the art is GREAT. It's ending in a couple of issues too so it's a good time to hop in.

someone tell me which one of those comics are finished, i don't really like following super long ass monthly(or worse with delays) manga/comics

besada

Banned
The Damned, Low, Black Science, Lazarus, and The Clean Room have the besada seal of approval, for sure.

I am sad you didn't include Unfollow from Vertigo, which is creepy, if not horror, technological, if not science fiction.

I'll have to check out Faster Than Light.

I recently read through the following:
- Nowhere Men (1-6)
- Nameless (1-5)
- Invisible Republic (1-?)
- Southern Cross (1-6)

Of these I really enjoyed 99% of Southern Cross (end spoiler
I felt it got a little silly right at the end with the 'We need to go close the rift'
), and all of Nowhere Men and Invisible Republic. Nameless just isn't my kind of story.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Spread - Imagine the post post-apocalypse world of Mad Max, all crazy gangs and bleak survival, in the frozen north, + the gory body horror of The Thing, if the organism had escaped from the Arctic and ravaged the world + a stoic badass protagonist caring for a baby in this fucked-up world. That's Spread

Planetoid - It's only 5 issues long, a simple concise story about a crashed soldier who only wants to get back home, but engrosses you with its gorgeous art, mysterious mechanical landscape, and visual storytelling

Ferals - This is less atmospheric horror, and more EC-style pulpy action horror. The recent werewolf film thread made me think of this one. If you like your werewolves as vicious limb-tearing beasts and want gory action in a small town under siege by these ruthless monsters, check out Ferals

Enormous - Enormous isn't very complicated. You can sum up its premise quite easily: tiny humans trying to survive among giant monsters. And there's no Godzilla to save us. The art is fantastic, really captures the scale of the creatures and how ineffective we are against them. A cool take on the apocalyptic survival genre

Crossed - Crossed is a pretty divisive comic, but I enjoyed it. It makes surviving the world of the Walking Dead look like child's play. It's a bleak uncompromising zombie survival story, except the zombies aren't undead but rather thinking people driven to inflict horrific violence. The first (and only arc worth reading) follows the intimate practically day-by-day story of a small group, the impossible choices they have to make, their struggle to have hope and push on another day.

Oh wow. These look excellent. Will get these ASAP.

Corpsepyre

Banned
The Damned, Low, Black Science, Lazarus, and The Clean Room have the besada seal of approval, for sure.

I am sad you didn't include Unfollow from Vertigo, which is creepy, if not horror, technological, if not science fiction.

I still have to get Unfollow. Seemed interesting when I first checked it out. It seems it has the besada seal of approval as well, then? :p

Corpsepyre

Banned
For this category, I can't recommend Rachel Rising enough.

They also have some strong scifi books, like Ivar Timewalker, Dr. Mirage, and Rai

'Rachel wakes up at sunrise on a shallow grave in the woods and discovers the freshly murdered body in the dirt is her own. With events of the previous night a blur, Rachel seeks out her boyfriend Phillip.'

Daym, as if that wasn't a big tease. Where can I get this one?

'Rachel wakes up at sunrise on a shallow grave in the woods and discovers the freshly murdered body in the dirt is her own. With events of the previous night a blur, Rachel seeks out her boyfriend Phillip.'

Daym, as if that wasn't a big tease. Where can I get this one?

CMX, it has trade releases, and the creator is selling a very limited run omnibus from his website (not sure if they've sold out yet).

Mitch

Banned
Overwhelmed by all the great recommendations!

Black Science is currently on my list. I'll look into Deadly Class as well, plus Spread.

GeeTeeCee

It doesn't get brought up as much as some other Image comics, but I recommend Prophet by Brandon Graham. It takes an old Rob Liefield property and makes it good, and the art is stunning.

El Topo

WicDiv is kind of divisive.

Great works usually are. I'm not willing to go that far yet, as I was genuinely disappointed by the third volume and I cannot fathom how that volume got so much critical praise, but it's arguably a very interesting and layered comic book.
Of course, the whole music/pop culture setting can be genuinely off-putting and it could very well still fall apart. Is it as smart as it wants to be? No. Does it reflect (or resonate with) modern society? Probably not much. Is it a bit too much in love with itself? Sure.

I didn't add that and Saga because I thought people would be more aware of them. But I like it a lot!

You mentioned Lazarus. That's good enough for me. I feel it drags a certain plot/secret on for too long, but I really like the series. Not perfect, but perfectly enjoyable.
Some interesting recommendations that I will check out though. Black Magick for example sounds like my cup of tea. Same with Code Pru.

Corpsepyre

Banned
someone tell me which one of those comics are finished, i don't really like following super long ass monthly(or worse with delays) manga/comics

Most of these are ongoing. I'd recommend getting Fatale, The Filth and Annihilator. They're finished.

Siegcram

I quite liked Bedlam, for the art mostly, as the story didn't really get anywhere and it seems to be on indefinite hiatus.

The horror atmosphere was up there though. Reminded me a lot of Seven.

ReAxion

Yeah! Yeah! YEAH!

WicDiv is kind of divisive. I really don't like it, personally.

ಥ_ಥ

Corpsepyre

Banned
It doesn't get brought up as much as some other Image comics, but I recommend Prophet by Brandon Graham. It takes an old Rob Liefield property and makes it good, and the art is stunning.

I need to read this!

Image is going to bankrupt me because I prefer buying trades.

Forkball

Cool recommendations. A lot of them seem to have started recently though. Any other similar, maybe older, recommendations of finished works?

Siegcram

Cool recommendations. A lot of them seem to have started recently though. Any other similar, maybe older, recommendations of finished works?
Pretty much all the Vertigo imprints are required reading for fantasy/sci-fi: Sandman, Y: The Last Man, Transmetropolitan, Fables, Lucifer, Preacher, The Unwritten ....
From Hell is fairly interesting take on the Ripper mythos (if you want more Moore weirdness, check out Neonomicon).

But it really depends what you're looking for genre-wise. Horror is having something of a renaissance, whereas fantasy has dropped of a bit imo.

Also, I've just noticed no one has mentioned Wytches so far, which is a fucking disgrace.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Haven't read a comic for quite a while, but hell, I just bought myself Low v.1, Black Science v.1 and Planetoid.

antispin

I just want to say thanks to OP, and add that Image is doing some great publishing. Back in the day I used to love Vertigo for its output but Image is so damn consistent in supporting these great stories.

KodaRuss

I have Low to read right now and a few of these mentioned I have been meaning to check out.

What about Trees from Image? Anyone read that, it is on my short list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom