• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! #8 / January 2012 - Happy New Year, Comic Book GAF!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pickups for the week:

Marvel Comics
Avengers Academy #24
Avengers X-Sanction #2 (of 4) - on the fence, but I'm starting to come around to Benjamin's "Loeb+McGuinness=win" perspective
Punisher #7
Thunderbolts #168
Uncanny X-Force #19.1
Uncanny X-Men #4
Wolverine and the X-Men Alpha and Omega #1 (of 5)
X-23 #20

Other Publishers
Warlord of Mars Dejah Thoris #9

Football!

prv10974_pg2.jpg

X-23 #20 preview

*cue some sort of football-related "Toeverine" insult from Bandit*

PFF my mother got it for me for christmas

she works at the company that designs and makes them, so a lot of that stuff i get ages ahead of everybody else

and i dont wear WW stuff all the time... i just have a lot of it :(

Mother?

But you never were trying to find love for it...you put it down from day one, LOL.

You have no idea man.

Played every version since Vanilla trying to find something to love. Street Fighter was a huge franchise for me at one time, but it's dead now. Time destroys everything.

Or Crapcom and Dimps helps push it over the cliff. :p

Satch

Banned
Pickups for the week:

Marvel Comics
Avengers Academy #24
Avengers X-Sanction #2 (of 4) - on the fence, but I'm starting to come around to Benjamin's "Loeb+McGuinness=win" perspective
Punisher #7
Thunderbolts #168
Uncanny X-Force #19.1
Uncanny X-Men #4
Wolverine and the X-Men Alpha and Omega #1 (of 5)
X-23 #20

Other Publishers
Warlord of Mars Dejah Thoris #9

Football!

prv10974_pg2.jpg

X-23 #20 preview

*cue some sort of football-related "Toeverine" insult from Bandit*

is this the final x-23?

Sblargh

Banned
What's up with marvel and their teen heroes? Still haven't forgived them for whatever happened to Nomad and Araña becoming spider-girl, now X-23 is losing it's book.
I blame MvC3, if X-23 were in a top 8 EVO team, she would be loved as much as she deserves.

Foob

if marvel wants to do a teen hero book they need to bring back spiderman loves Mary Jane

that book made me so happy

Throwing my usual support for The Boys out there. The ending of the Butcher miniseries explains him nicely. I'm going to be sad when the series ends, but Ennis writes my favorite finite series.

Well, at least it's not another "WATCHMEN 2 IS TOTALLY HAPPENING YOU GUYS". Good for you, Rich Johnston you fucking hack. It's good to change up your bullshit every once in a while.
But... it's DC who keeps leaking Watchmen 2 promotional material anonymously just before the weekend, and then pretends to be mad come Monday. He's just playing along.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I can get down with some Spidey/Bats crossover, if only because it's such a ridiculous pairing. It will probably overstay its welcome though if it actually is 12 issues.

Uuuuuuuuuuh okay?

maybe I am getting too old but a crossover like this does not create the same reaction I might have had when I was 12.

I have less than zero interest for company crossovers. It's already been done as well as it ever could be with Busiek's run.

Suck my dick, Rich Johnston.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Holy shit lol, Rich Johnston got trolled by someone at Diamond.

UPDATE: All credit to Diamond Comic Distributors on this one. I think someone there noticed that I was picking up on some stories that were running on their website, but weren’t fully linked from the home page yet. Such as Marvel’s marketshare in December, and lists of upcoming comic books for the next two weeks.

So it seems they laid a trap, one written to appeal to Bleeding Cool, and I fell for it hook, line and sinker. Diamond ran an article on their website outlining a fictitious crossover – one that has now disappeared and I have emails from Marvel Comics peeps asking if April has come early…

Well played, Diamond, well played. Do I detect the influence of Bob Wayne in this one at all?

You may all begin the collective mocking… now.

The original article appears below. It is based on a fabrication.

ElNarez

Banned
So, can we agree to never link anything from Bleeding Cool in this thread ever again?

On an unrelated note, I thought maybe it would be a cool thing to update the OP with some recommendations from this week. Would that be a cool thing to do?

So, can we agree to never link anything from Bleeding Cool in this thread ever again?

On an unrelated note, I thought maybe it would be a cool thing to update the OP with some recommendations from this week. Would that be a cool thing to do?

"Strikeforce Morituri - STILL 'TURIAN!!"

shuri

Banned
How do you guys handle expensive comics? Someone is giving me a certain semi legendary comic as a late xmas gift, and since it seems to be worth a lot of money, how do I handle it? I was thinking about getting it framed in a special UV-resistant case and storing it at the bank? it also has a rating of 9.8 from that comic authority preservation rating association; and i dont want to damage it.

I dont even want to ask my local comic shop, they have my home address and i dont feel letting them know i have this at home; i like in a shady area

notworksafe

How do you guys handle expensive comics? Someone is giving me a certain semi legendary comic as a late xmas gift, and since it seems to be worth a lot of money, how do I handle it? I was thinking about getting it framed in a special UV-resistant case and storing it at the bank? it also has a rating of 9.8 from that comic authority preservation rating association; and i dont want to damage it.

I dont even want to ask my local comic shop, they have my home address and i dont feel letting them know i have this at home; i like in a shady area
If it is graded, that means it is already sealed right? If not I'd send it off to CGC to get packed up nicely with a rating on the outside and then store it away from the sun.

What comic is it?

akira28

DC Reboot is really rough. Rolling my eyes so often, I'm afraid they might pop out of my head. Some of these books are almost unreadable, like they killed off the main characters and started with edgy new versions or something. Green Arrow for example. They finally made Ollie into a wisened badass that I can love instead of the selfish hothead that annoyed me...and then they basically send him into the ether.

I'm really hoping for some kind of snapback effect to a happy medium.

DC Reboot is really rough. Rolling my eyes so often, I'm afraid they might pop out of my head. Some of these books are almost unreadable, like they killed off the main characters and started with edgy new versions or something. Green Arrow for example. They finally made Ollie into a wisened badass that I can love instead of the selfish hothead that annoyed me...and then they basically send him into the ether.

Once you open Pandora's box.....

...there's no closing it.

ElNarez

Banned

Krul's Green Arrow was fairly terrible and I couldn't really get into Giffen and Jurgens' since it built up on that. Could you elaborate a bit on what you liked and what they did to make you not like it anymore ?

Also, if you want to be happy reading rebooted DC comics, and this goes to everyone reading this, PICK UP O.M.A.C., it's a gleeful grin-inducing book with plenty of crazy old-school action. It's amazingly fun and you should read it.

Xater

Eh, I am loving the reboot so far. Most fun I had with DC in like forever.

woodypop

So I read Avengers Annual, and I'm pretty sure I liked it. I really love Dell'Otto's art
Ah, thanks for the reminder. It seems like forever since the first part came out. Guess I'll brave the craptastic weather (it's raining cats 'n dogs) and hotfoot it to ye olde comic shoppe this afternoon.

tm24

Ah, thanks for the reminder. It seems like forever since the first part came out. Guess I'll brave the craptastic weather (it's raining cats 'n dogs) and hotfoot it to ye olde comic shoppe this afternoon.

Yeah, its typical Bendis dialogue, but i really liked the question raised by the issue

Simon believes that he might not actually exist in the real world due to Wanda magically bringing him back. This raises the issue if Hawkeye actually exists too. So this might be a plot point in AvX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom