• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! May |OT| Round 2! FIGHT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izick

Alright, I just finished Wolverine (305), and I must say it was pretty awesome. Coming in, I knew and liked the Wolverine and Logan character, and he felt pretty well written here. The art was pretty great as well. I didn't expect the story to start getting so gory near the tail-end of it, but it did, and it was still great. I wished they would have built up the villain,
Rot
, a bit more, but you definitely get a good sense of what he is by the end.

Very good read, and I want more!

Alright, I just finished Wolverine (305), and I must say it was pretty awesome. Coming in, I knew and liked the Wolverine and Logan character, and he felt pretty well written here. The art was pretty great as well. I didn't expect the story to start getting so gory near the tail-end of it, but it did, and it was still great. I wished they would have built up the villain,
Rot
, a bit more, but you definitely get a good sense of what he is by the end.

Very good read, and I want more!
Dr. Rot's actually a character from Jason Aaron's run. If you're interested in learning more about him, the story arc's been collected here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005M4BFUI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You'd probably be fine either way, but I do highly recommend Jason Aaron's run on Wolverine, if you have the time/money. It just depends on what kind of investment you wanna make.

Most of his run is collected in a big, awesome Hardcover collection if you're so inclined sometime down the line.

Here

See, now though, should I learn more about him though, or should I just let it progress as I read the series? I'm honestly asking.
My opinion: unless you absolutely can't wait to read more, then finish the current story arc. Then, if you want more Dr. Rot, go back and read the old story.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
tumblr_m3tog3GNJM1qc5zcko1_500.jpg

Thor/Drake. Someone on Tumblr's doing the whole Avengers interacting with Tim...

Tumblr sure is weird sometimes~

Anyways what started this is I'm finally reading Red Robin after finishing Batman & Robin. Great stuff. I know I'm setting myself up for disappointment by making these some of the first comics I seriously read. :p

Satch

Banned
just had to repeat that my dream team-up is finally happening and it's going to be drawn by JHW3

i have never been so excited to read a comic book in my entire life

#whenwillyourfavs

#stanning

Glass Rebel

I finished the first 2 volumes of Chew and I could bite myself in the balls for not buying the rest of the series while it was on sale on ComiXology...

Tizoc

Will post about what I read this week later, but first off-
If you did not get Atomic Robo and friends FCBD, you fail in life (Unless your regular CS had all the issues taken, in which case feel glad that there are more people discovering/enjoying the awesomeness of Atomic Robo). I'm not even gonna bother showcasing why it was so friggin' godly.
You can get it here from here for FREE-
http://www.comixology.com/FCBD-2012-Atomic-Robo-Friends/digital-comic/JAN120039
...now get it, read it and stop sucking in life!

Anyone else reading Eric Powell's The Goon? He's been taking some long breaks lately but I really hope he can continue the main story soon, until then, I'ma try and convince some of you shmucks to get into it. ...and I hope the mods don't mind if I post this many pages, next time I'll post a lesser count ^_^;
pAZCw.jpg

SxlSd.jpg

tZPmo.jpg

ukUog.jpg

OQyhj.jpg

ruBMv.jpg

BOlYm.jpg

7WZGn.jpg

D23

anyone here can recommend me some comics to read!!

im following morning glories, chew and walking dead..

i really love the art style in chew, so possibly something like that, thanks

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Anyone else reading Eric Powell's The Goon? He's been taking some long breaks lately but I really hope he can continue the main story soon, until then, I'ma try and convince some of you shmucks to get into it. ...and I hope the mods don't mind if I post this many pages, next time I'll post a lesser count ^_^;

i havent read a goon comic in a good while. mainly because there were a few missing gaps that i couldnt find. but i like the character, and his past was fucked.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

gonna have to plug locke & key here, though it is nothing like chew. it is beautiful and dark, though. if you like morning glories and the walking dead, i imagine you'll love locke & key.

i don't know anything quite like chew.

D23

gonna have to plug locke & key here, though it is nothing like chew. it is beautiful and dark, though. if you like morning glories and the walking dead, i imagine you'll love locke & key.

i don't know anything quite like chew.

thx will check it out

Owzers

Along with Locke and Key, which is good and worth checking out, you could also give Saga #1 and Mind the Gap #1 a try.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

The Strange Talent of Luther Strode has a fairly similar art style to Chew. The first miniseries has been collected in a trade. My understanding is the second miniseries might start being released towards the end of the year. It's not an ongoing, the creators just have a couple stories planned that will take the character every place they want to take him. I expect it'll be a trilogy of sorts.

Owzers

So tell me about Fables. Comixology has a huge sale going on and I'm curious!

First arc, kind of boring. Second through Tenth, for the most part REALLY good, gets to a mildly good conclusion. Then it goes on forever with mixed quality.

It's a hard thing to fully recommend since it's never ending and gets to be mixed quality, IF you give it a try, i advise going past the first story arc. The fantasy setting, plotting, characters, and art are for the most part great imo.

Oh damn I just read my Nightwings 1-7...maybe I should have read my Batmans first. pretty damn cool.

Also read my Supergirls(its ok) and Huntresses, good stuff. dunno why I got myself so backed up.

oh yeah, I like the Fables but I'm 2 trades behind lol

Oh damn I just read my Nightwings 1-7...maybe I should have read my Batmans first. pretty damn cool.

Also read my Supergirls(its ok) and Huntresses, good stuff. dunno why I got myself so backed up.

Well you picked some of the better series. Nightwing especially really has a great flow to it, and once it's revealed how it fits into Court of Owls, bloody hell! =)

LOVED Huntress, and yeah SG was ok, until just recently when it graduated into FUN!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
First arc, kind of boring. Second through Tenth, for the most part REALLY good, gets to a mildly good conclusion. Then it goes on forever with mixed quality.

It's a hard thing to fully recommend since it's never ending and gets to be mixed quality, IF you give it a try, i advise going past the first story arc. The fantasy setting, plotting, characters, and art are for the most part great imo.

Interesting...I'll see if there's a sample issue available and give it a go. Thanks for your input!

Well you picked some of the better series. Nightwing especially really has a great flow to it, and once it's revealed how it fits into Court of Owls, bloody hell! =)

LOVED Huntress, and yeah SG was ok, until just recently when it graduated into FUN!

Supergirl to me is the best book in the Supes family right now.

yea I liked that Silver Banshee issue and I wasn't expecting the Owl stuff in Nightwing at all

Ooops caught up on Xforce and Fantastic Four too. Letting 8 months of comics build up is stupid but awesome

sol_bad

Does anyone know where I can get issue 3 of Wolverine & The X-Men?
I swear to God it's almost impossible to find anywhere,

And I really have to thank this thread for helping me in my re-ignited interest in comics since seeing The Avengers.

I am currently playing catch up/collecting Uncanny X-Men, Wolverine & The X-Men, Avengers, Amazing Spiderman, Dare Devil, Invincible Iron Man (stating at issue #500), The Mighty Thor, Justice League, Batman, Green Lantern, The Flash, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, the new Ninja Turtles, Saga and Mind the Gap.

I am going to buy some hardcovers for Chew, Locke & Key and Morning Glories too.

Is there anything else you guys can recommend at all?

Does anyone know where I can get issue 3 of Wolverine & The X-Men?
I swear to God it's almost impossible to find anywhere,

And I really have to thank this thread for helping me in my re-ignited interest in comics since seeing The Avengers.

I am currently playing catch up/collecting Uncanny X-Men, Wolverine & The X-Men, Avengers, Amazing Spiderman, Dare Devil, Invincible Iron Man (stating at issue #500), The Mighty Thor, Justice League, Batman, Green Lantern, The Flash, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, the new Ninja Turtles, Saga and Mind the Gap.

I am going to buy some hardcovers for Chew, Locke & Key and Morning Glories too.

Is there anything else you guys can recommend at all?

Verily, I'd suggest getting Journey Into Mystery instead of Mighty Thor. Forsooth!

The Penguin mini was great. And American Vampire is a Must Have IMO.

tm24

I just spent the last 3 days plowing through Brian wood's DMZ. got vol 1-11 and the last arc in floppies. Holy shit. What a book. One of vertigo's best. If you never have read it, do it.

Next up, finishing 100 Bullets

sol_bad

Invincible could be cool, the complete hardcovers are quite expensive though.

I forgot to mention that I don't buy my comics digitally.

Owzers

It's a pretty good (expensive) price for a 12 issue oversized hardcover, about $22 at Amazon per volume. In comparison, a lot of 5 issue hardcovers from Marvel, standard sized, are $13 after Amazon's discount. But that is expensive just to "try" a book to see if you like it. Do you read comics digitally at all even if you don't buy them that way? The first issue is free at comixology.

Unrelated to your post....anyone who reads comics digitally should go check out Invincible #1 at comixology, it's free and good.

Tizoc

i havent read a goon comic in a good while. mainly because there were a few missing gaps that i couldnt find. but i like the character, and his past was fucked.

Hmm where did u last stop reading? The series is collected in TPB and I can provide a reading order ;D

jaxword

So tell me about Fables. Comixology has a huge sale going on and I'm curious!

It goes very well up until issue 75, then the quality plummets. Also, the writer Willingham cannot resist pushing his politics into his characters, and he does so in a very jarring and disrespectful (to the reader) way.

Owzers

Invincible is a beautiful but terribly bad comic. As most (all?) Kirkman is (are?).

That Kirkman bias. It's strong. The only "bad" thing about Invincible is that is slowed down around issue 60-70, it gained speed to good status ~ 81. It's hard to believe one could consider Invincible or Walking Dead " terribly bad". Walking Dead through issue 45 or so was a great read, then Kirkman kind of ran out of places to go, but the last few issues have given the book some new potential.

Owzers

Kirkman may have the worst dialog of any "successful" mainstream comic book writer working today.

It's horrid

I'm wounded...to read that Kirkman dialog is even in consideration for being worse than Bendis....oh well. *reads invincible* For the most part i'd call Kirkman's writing in Walking Dead and Invincible as "serviceable" with some random humor or dramatic interaction.

That Kirkman bias. It's strong. The only "bad" thing about Invincible is that is slowed down around issue 60-70, it gained speed to good status ~ 81. It's hard to believe one could consider Invincible or Walking Dead " terribly bad". Walking Dead through issue 45 or so was a great read, then Kirkman kind of ran out of places to go, but the last few issues have given the book some new potential.

Invincible is really good, shame he is known for TWD instead of this. And Bendis is the worst dialogue writer, when you cover up the art with word bubbles and try to replicate gilmore girls with none of the cleverness or heart, you're bad.

Bendis is too naturalistic which is a much less serious crime than Kirkman's atrocious wooden exposition-laden flights of monologuing.

The other way in which he is worse than Bendis is in the construction of *titter* symbolism. "Man, you ever feel like these characters are sort of 'trapped' or 'penned in' by their circumstance? I wonder...hm...yes...I wonder if they could maybe end up....in a prison? And, now this is a stretch, but what if we see these characters, right, surrounded by the reanimated living, okay? But, see, really, they're the ones who have had their humanity stripped away. In a sense, they're 'The Walking Dead'!"

Invincible is super good. I haven't read it in awhile because I decided there was no point buying the monthlies and the Ultimate Volumes but it stays consistently good.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Invincible and Fables suffer from the same problem - they should have ended already. Now both books are dragging along.

I'm reading Lockjaw and the Pet Avengers - this is some silly ass shit. I like it though....

Gonna plow through Bone after this, and still making my way through Preacher.

I love comic books. I hope my current top three books (American Vampire, Chew, Locke & Key) all end as good as they've started. I'd hate for them to fall into Fables/Invincible territory.

Setre

Start reading comics again and just finished up Y: The Last Man, The Walking Dead 74-84, and American Vampire 1-5. Going to start working my way through the Ultimate Marvel Universe following this reading order. I’m also going to continue reading some of the early Batman stories, fixin’ to start Dark Victory soon.

Of the new 52 what would y’all recommend? I know I’m going to be reading Batwoman and I’ve already bought several issue 1s but I just want a general consensus of what GAF considers to be the best.

Satch

Banned
Of the new 52 what would y’all recommend? I know I’m going to be reading Batwoman and I’ve already bought several issue 1s but I just want a general consensus of what GAF considers to be the best.

Batman
Animal Man
Swamp Thing
Wonder Woman

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Start reading comics again and just finished up Y: The Last Man, The Walking Dead 74-84, and American Vampire 1-5. Going to start working my way through the Ultimate Marvel Universe following this reading order. I’m also going to continue reading some of the early Batman stories, fixin’ to start Dark Victory soon.

I take it you've read Long Halloween already? Because Dark Victory is a direct sequel to that, so you'll want that first.

Btw, I wrote up a basic timetime for the Batman chronology a little while back, you might find it interesting if you're getting into Batman -

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25562819&postcount=124

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom