• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! May |OT| Round 2! FIGHT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

notworksafe

Avengers/Cloak&Dagger/Shang-Chi/Venom were all awesome.

To be fair, some of the AvX ancillary books are worth a damn.

So let's not pretend that the events of both companies aren't liked/loved when they exhibit quality. People would and did ridicule Amazons Attack too.
Yeah the New Avengers AvX is looking to be something cool. I'm just not a big fan of the main book. Not really bothering with Versus either.

Demon Knights #9 Preview

I kind of have a love/hate relationship with this book right now, but it's never not interesting. And it'll probably stay that way
right up until the moment it's canceled.

You can really tell that Cornell (and his wife, who DMs their group) loves and plays D&D.

Yeah the New Avengers AvX is looking to be something cool. I'm just not a big fan of the main book. Not really bothering with Versus either.

Best New Avengers issue in ages!

tm24

Oh god, Xfactor 235 is incredible for the relentless 90s joke, ill post the pages after class, but holy hell, this book.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Dial H looked great but man China Meiville pisses me off. I've been in the middle of his Perdido Street Station for over a month now and I can't bring myself to finish it because I hate his prose so much. He's one of those writers that's way too in love with his thesaurus. The second I saw the second hero in Dial H, Captain Lachrymose, I just sat there shaking my head and being pissed off for like five full minutes.

Gonna give it a few more issues cause of dat art and dat premise but I have a feeling any enjoyment I can muster for the book is going to be through clenched teeth.

Oh and AvX 3 was fucking stupid, as mentioned by literally everyone who has read it already. Glad I'm finally seeing what all the hullabaloo about shitty Marvel events is all about first hand but I don't know if it's worth ~$20 a month.

Mr. Sam

Dial H looked great but man China Meiville pisses me off. I've been in the middle of his Perdido Street Station for over a month now and I can't bring myself to finish it because I hate his prose so much. He's one of those writers that's way too in love with his thesaurus. The second I saw the second hero in Dial H, Captain Lachrymose, I just sat there shaking my head and being pissed off for like five full minutes.

The first hero didn't piss you off? He just jabbered nonsense.

Mifune

Mehmber

It's great that his command of the English language pisses you off so much.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
The first hero didn't piss you off? He just jabbered nonsense.
No it did. About a third of the way through the book there just stopped being complete sentences. It was a total mess to try and read.

It's great that his command of the English language pisses you off so much.
You know, this book is almost tailor made for China Meiville, since his writing no doubt entails clicking a thesaurus randomizer and then trying to form a thought around whatever dumb, obscure word he finds. Now he can do that with superheroes. Also lol@ thinking using obscure words = command of the English Language. Lawl, I say!

Mifune

Mehmber
No it did. About a third of the way through the book there just stopped being complete sentences. It was a total mess to try and read.

You know, this book is almost tailor made for China Meiville, since his writing no doubt entails clicking a thesaurus randomizer and then trying to form a thought around whatever dumb, obscure word he finds. Now he can do that with superheroes. Also lol@ thinking using obscure words = command of the English Language. Lawl, I say!

I actually like reading books that force me to look up some words from time to time. And Perdido Street Station rarely does this. So if you think the language of that book is "obscure," well, I don't know what to say.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Lachrymose is a big word? Don't need to look that up to know it relates to tears, must be Captain Cry-A-Lot or Captain My-Tears-Are-Radioactive-And-Are-Going-To-Tear-You-A-New-One.

LiQuid!

Lachrymose is a big word?

It's not a big word it's a stupid word. It's an obscure word. Also you're being dismissive if you're just focusing on my criticism of a single word. "Lachrymose" in this case is just a microcosm for what I feel is wrong about his entire writing style. I don't expect anybody to understand who hasn't read his prose novels but the instances where he goes out of his way to try and sound smarter than the reader merely by using the most obscure words he can find are way too common.

Some people might like having to look up words while they're reading. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the way he writes or people that like his books, just that I personally find it annoying.

Mifune

Mehmber
I enjoy reading people who sound smarter than me, and don't feel threatened or insulted by them, but that's just me.

Vyer

Lachrymose is a big word? Don't need to look that up to know it relates to tears, must be Captain Cry-A-Lot or Captain My-Tears-Are-Radioactive-And-Are-Going-To-Tear-You-A-New-One.

I'd say it's fairly obscure/unused. Not that I agree with Liquid, I've only read one Meiville book (Perdido Street Station) and I dont remember having a problem with it.

Mr. Sam

I enjoy reading people who sound smarter than me, and don't feel threatened or insulted by them, but that's just me.

If he uses obscure words in a way that's unnatural, I can see the validity of the criticism. Like if Joe the Street Urchin says, "I say, good sir, you're quite the lackadaisical one, aren't you?"

Did anyone read Alpha and Omega mini? Having not known who Quentin Quire was prior to Wolverine and the X-men, I loved his characterization in it.

Alucard

Banned
Sat down and read Daredevil #12. Wow.

DD12_1-630x581.jpg

This was a beautiful issue. From the soft-touch art, to the vibrant colouring, to the smooth-as-butter dialogue, and the interlacing stories that linked playfulness with character enrichment, I loved absolutely everything about this as a stand-alone story, and as a setup for what looks to be Matt’s final showdown with megacrime. This is why I read comics, and more specifically, this is why Daredevil continues to be my favourite superhero around. “Warm and fuzzy” is a good way to describe how this one made me feel.

For those who haven't jumped onto Daredevil yet, this is a great place to take the plunge.

DumbNameD

If there's one nearby, on free comic book day, Hastings apparently will have all used graphic novels for $5.99 or less.

Daredevil's one of the consistently best written characters/books in comics, no?

Waid is great, but he's got some of the best pencillers/colorists in the business bringing his scripts to life. That one panel is the only one Matt shows up in his DD costume, but it's still an excellent superhero Daredevil comic with a near-perfect one-off comic construction that comes from writing them for 20 years.

Alucard

Banned
Daredevil's one of the consistently best written characters/books in comics, no?

Yep. You could definitely say that. People lost some hope with Andy Diggle's Shadowland a year ago, but Waid has brought the character back to the top of the superhero heap. Heck, I didn't even mind Shadowland all that much.

LiQuid!

Did anyone read Alpha and Omega mini? Having not known who Quentin Quire was prior to Wolverine and the X-men, I loved his characterization in it.

Yeah I thought it was alright, the ending was kind of hokey, but I'll take my QQ any way I can get him.

Slayven

Caught up on Teen Titans, I kept having flashbacks to Gen13 and DV8. And what the hell they do to Warblade? He use to be a hero that was tough as nails when all else fails. And he had power to the max.

pulga

Banned
What the fuck at Cap throwing Wolvie out of the jet?

And can someone explain to me why every superhero was black in AC#9?

Lombaszko

Maybe that's how it is on Earth 23? I'm not sure if Batman was or not. Wasn't that Superman also a character from Final Crisis: Superman Beyond? I hope this is all setting up Multiversity for sometime in the near future.

What the fuck at Cap throwing Wolvie out of the jet?

Everyone but batman was black on earth-23, that's just how it is for some reason. They first showed up during final crisis, and this was supposed to be one of the worlds for multiversity. I can't tell if this action comics issue is morrison giving up on multiversity ever happening or if multiversity would build on this.

Edit: Welp, that was a pointless post, haha. basically duplicated everything the guy before me said. Ah, well.
Congrats on the writing credit, Sblargh.

Have Marvel's business practices changed you brahs? After the disappoints of Circle of Four, Omega Effect and AvX, I'm dropping these brahs completely. I can't keep up with double shipping, even though I spend a lot on comics a week. Four dollars should be special, not the norm.

ElNarez

Banned
Circle of Four was worth it for the "WE AM SMASH FOR VENGEANCE" bit. But yeah, the way Marvel run their business is super shitty.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Have Marvel's business practices changed you brahs? After the disappoints of Circle of Four, Omega Effect and AvX, I'm dropping these brahs completely. I can't keep up with double shipping, even though I spend a lot on comics a week. Four dollars should be special, not the norm.

i only read watxm and uxf... most of the other books (with notable exceptions like ff and daredevil) look like standard superhero nonsense and i don't know why you'd bother with em.

How Barbara Kesel helped kill 'Before Watchmen' the first time (Bleeding Cool)

Shortly after the completion of the Watchmen series by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons, DC’s main editors went on retreat. The retreatees included Karen Berger, Mike Gold, Denny O’Neil, Mike Carlin, and Andy Helfer. The brain trust returned with three “sequels” to Watchmen.

+The Minutemen – the story of the main characters during the war
+The Comedian Goes To Vietnam
+Rorschach’s Diaries

When Barbara Randall (now Kesel), the editor of the original series, saw the plot outlines, she thought, “Bad idea, bad idea, bad idea.” Before any of the series could get up a head of steam, Randall engaged in what she calls “the only internal sabotage I ever did while I was on staff. I called Alan and Dave and said, ‘This is what they’re planning to do. I think you should call Jenette [Kahn] They called. They complained. And The Minutemen were history.
More at the link. Rich says he contacted Barbara to confirm the story, which she does; she also opines that enough time has passed that others can now make their own Watchmen stories, and that good or terrible they won't destroy the original's reputation.

Really loved Action Comics this week. That might just be because i'm a sucker for
alternate universes
. I hope this bodes well for the direction of Multiversity.

Whats the deal behind Earth 2? I read it and I'm not sure whats causing this. Its just a result of the 52/multiverse reboot and we're just now getting a peek at Earth 2?

Satch

Banned
it'd be better if they brought the shoulders and collar in closer to the body

not sure why they did it in that oversized way, but everything else looks good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom