• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

I think at least in New 52 the New Gods are multiversal

Yep, part of Morrison's worldbuilding on old Kirby stuff. This was a scene in Multiversity for example:
the-multiversity-guidoezm7.jpg

The Darkseid at the end of FC that Superman shatters by singing is the closest we've gotten to the "true" Darkseid.

ElNarez

Banned
Ultimates² confirms that the one good thing about Civil War II was
making good on the Death Celestial thing from Fraction's Defenders.

The Flash

Kind of a disappointment after the Batman issue, but necessary and wasn't anything bad, just kind of meh.

Biggest takeaway that is just kind of skipped over:
Why does Barry refer to his mothers murder as a cold case? It was never a cold case and there was no mention of his father being falsely accused which is always the go to talking point. Has stuff changed with Thawne dying possibly?

Suicide Squad

Finally we get JRJR off this book and we get a full actual issue and it's great!

JLA

I'm out, I think I only like when Orlando writes Midnighter...

Detective Comics

This issue had some moments...but man I really wasn't a fan of the action and the forced story book aspect. The action was mostly incomprehensible and just splashes to have exposition boxes for the forced story basically with Cassandra as the main character. Really didn't dig this overall.

tim1138

I really dug the second chapter of the Button, it's so nice to see Howard Porter drawing the Flash again. I do think people won't be as happy with this issue as Batman last week.

I really dug the second chapter of the Button, it's so nice to see Howard Porter drawing the Flash again. I do think people won't be as happy with this issue as Batman last week.

Yeah, that's kind of how I felt. It was necessary but felt like an info dump following an exciting start.

I feel like King said "Nah, you go ahead and handle the heavy lifting."

ElNarez

Banned
It's not showing off like Batman #21 is, which I feel is kinda deliberate? Like, Batman is compatible with Watchmen in a way Flash isn't. And it's all well and good to do a 9-panel grid, but, Flash #21 delivered some pretty tasty emotional beats that were real fun to read.

It's not showing off like Batman #21 is, which I feel is kinda deliberate? Like, Batman is compatible with Watchmen in a way Flash isn't. And it's all well and good to do a 9-panel grid, but, Flash #21 delivered some pretty tasty emotional beats that were real fun to read.

Yeah, I agree. It just feels like a comedown on an event after the first issue. Still good though.

Mentioned above but I'm really curious why
Barry says his mothers murder was a cold case. As far as I know it was never a cold case and they didn't even mention the whole father falsely accused thing. Makes me wonder if stuff changed with Thawne dying.

tim1138

There are so many easter eggs in
the Watchtower vault. Things I remember off the top of my head: Ted's Bug, Atomic Knight Batman costume, Lobo's hook chain thing, Hourman and Star Spangled Kid costumes, a GL ring in a jar, Martian Manhunter's classic costume, and what looked like Barda's Mega Rod.

I wonder how much of that was in the script and how much was just Porter going nuts?

the Watchtower vault. Things I remember off the top of my head: Ted's Bug, Atomic Knight Batman costume, Lobo's hook chain thing, Hourman and Star Spangled Kid costumes, a GL ring in a jar, Martian Manhunter's classic costume, and what looked like Barda's Mega Rod.

I wonder how much of that was in the script and how much was just Porter going nuts?

I was really curious about the
Martian Manhunter costume
, seemed too prominent and noticeable considering so many speculations lately trying to involve that character.

I think I saw an older model of
Skeets
as well.

tim1138

Yeah, I agree. It just feels like a comedown on an event after the first issue. Still good though.

Barry says his mothers murder was a cold case. As far as I know it was never a cold case and they didn't even mention the whole father falsely accused thing. Makes me wonder if stuff changed with Thawne dying.

That struck me as odd too.

That struck me as odd too.

Flash Rebirth and I think Manapul's Flash (New 52)
both had it that Barry was the only one working on the case, basically whenever he had free time. But it wasn't ever technically open.

Flash Rebirth and I think Manapul's Flash (New 52)
both had it that Barry was the only one working on the case, basically whenever he had free time. But it wasn't ever technically open.

But wasn't that just to disprove that his father was the killer? If his father was falsely accused it would never be cold or open, he would just be trying to work it on his own to disprove it.

Just calling it a cold case and not mentioning the father aspect seems strange.

What's the best way to catch up on Rebirth series? Should I just read each issue of a series up until current and then move on to the next? As an example, 1-20 of the flash, then 1-20 of batman, and so on.. Or should I read in trade format, ie 1-5 of the flash then 1-5 batman, plus all the others I want to read, then the flash 6-10 and so on from there?

What's the best way to catch up on Rebirth series? Should I just read each issue of a series up until current and then move on to the next? As an example, 1-20 of the flash, then 1-20 of batman, and so on.. Or should I read in trade format, ie 1-5 of the flash then 1-5 batman, plus all the others I want to read, then the flash 6-10 and so on from there?

Besides a couple books(Batman, Nightwing, Detective, JL, SS) and a couple issues specifically(Monster Men, JL vs SS) you could go either way really. Monster Men didn't really have much effect on the books other than leading into Batwoman and JL vs SS mostly just lead into JLA.

Doom Patrol was great again. Gonna have to re-read it since the arc is finished now so I can really absorb it. Really liking the brisk pacing it has especially. A lot of team comics now kind of meander and take too long to get into the action but this one moved pretty quickly.

Casey is a great addition to the team too.

Besides a couple books(Batman, Nightwing, Detective, JL, SS) and a couple issues specifically(Monster Men, JL vs SS) you could go either way really. Monster Men didn't really have much effect on the books other than leading into Batwoman and JL vs SS mostly just lead into JLA.
JL and SS are on my list so I might read up until that then just knock each series off at a time after it.

But wasn't that just to disprove that his father was the killer? If his father was falsely accused it would never be cold or open, he would just be trying to work it on his own to disprove it.

Just calling it a cold case and not mentioning the father aspect seems strange.
See I don't remember
them mentioning his dad in thos versions.

shingi70

Banned
Not sure how much they pay in listening, by I would be surprised if Sonic outsells all the monthly Archie books. The Sonic and Megaman lines should have been Archie's future, instead of throwing bets on Adam Hughes of all people.

Top Bottom