• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

Omg new Walking Dead this week.
Andrea has been my favorite character since the early days.
Please don't do this to me.

And New Paper Girls! Really been enjoying the new arc. Also, I bought two of the shirts they advertise in the back. So stoked!

Nightwing just about redeemed.
Beetle gets some good development and action(and comedy).
Beast Boy is annoying
Damian is improving
Starfire was really great
Raven was decent but didn't have much to do

ending tease:
Donna Troy recruited the end
Yaaaas!

How was Slade? Heard his VA died before the premiere.

mreddie

C8fk3TWV0AImPxF.jpg

Its so weird to me.

That Marvel would just make a bad business decision that would ultimately hamper the industry to this day.

Theyre usually so good with those

Not sure if theres a good place exactly but as far as I remember it went like this

At the time, there were a handful of distributors servicing the various publishers.

Marvel decides they can do better if they distribute their own books, so they buy a distributor and tell the other distributors to take a hike.

Now all other distributors freak out because they essentially just lost ~40% of their business. Diamond convinces the other publishers to go with them exclusively.

Marvel runs into a world of problems. The distributor they bought wasnt equipped at all to handle the workload they were given since Marvel decided to change their distribution quickly rather than gradually.

The end result is that Marvel signs an exclusive distribution contract with Diamond like everybody else now. Now, if you know anything about monopolies, its that they get economically inefficient (which is to say the don't care about investing and expanding their business). So now, Diamond is super lazy. They don't reach out to places where comics used to be sold like gas stations and supermarkets and won't carry books that don't present easy profit for them.

At the heart of the comics industry, the problem is their distribution above any creative decisions from publishers

Whats crazy to me is that it seems Marvel hasn't used any of Disney's resources to put their comics wherever Disney is. Disney's reach goes far and wide and I haven't seen Marvel use that to its advantage to increase customer accesss
I doubt Disney cares about the comic market. They want IPs, not print money.
"Same face" Noto.
/s

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Its so weird to me.

That Marvel would just make a bad business decision that would ultimately hamper the industry to this day.

Theyre usually so good with those

Not sure if theres a good place exactly but as far as I remember it went like this

At the time, there were a handful of distributors servicing the various publishers.

Marvel decides they can do better if they distribute their own books, so they buy a distributor and tell the other distributors to take a hike.

Now all other distributors freak out because they essentially just lost ~40% of their business. Diamond convinces the other publishers to go with them exclusively.

Marvel runs into a world of problems. The distributor they bought wasnt equipped at all to handle the workload they were given since Marvel decided to change their distribution quickly rather than gradually.

The end result is that Marvel signs an exclusive distribution contract with Diamond like everybody else now. Now, if you know anything about monopolies, its that they get economically inefficient (which is to say the don't care about investing and expanding their business). So now, Diamond is super lazy. They don't reach out to places where comics used to be sold like gas stations and supermarkets and won't carry books that don't present easy profit for them.

At the heart of the comics industry, the problem is their distribution above any creative decisions from publishers

Whats crazy to me is that it seems Marvel hasn't used any of Disney's resources to put their comics wherever Disney is. Disney's reach goes far and wide and I haven't seen Marvel use that to its advantage to increase

customer accesss
Thanks

And yeah, Disney gives a shit. Thats why Marvel still doesnt sell any Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck Comics.

Vic_Viper

In regards to the new Teen Titans movie; Havent seen it yet, who is the girl with short blond hair that has the yellow energy balls on her fists? Also, is this a continuation form the Teen Titans vs. Justice League movie?

So glad its getting such positive feedback!

What did y'all think of the Rat Queens relaunch? I'm not sure myself. The art is better than Fowler (duh) but not as good as Upchurch or Sejic. It also didn't seem quite as funny or kick-assy as in the past. Still gonna give it an arc. I just didn't quite feel as YES IT'S BACK as I hoped I would.

Outcast is a good comics, you guys. Mysterious and scary without being gory.

How is this different than what's going on in the current avengers run? I guess it's just "more of that" which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

What do you mean by "comeback/relaunch"? There's been one relaunch in company history and I can't see them undoing secret wars this quickly.

How is this different than what's going on in the current avengers run? I guess it's just "more of that" which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

What do you mean by "comeback/relaunch"? There's been one relaunch in company history and I can't see them undoing secret wars this quickly.
Probably a relaunch of every book like they did in 2015 with Secret Wars when the last Avengers movie came out.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Probably a relaunch of every book like they did in 2015 with Secret Wars when the last Avengers movie came out.

Makes no sense since the starting point was completly different after Secret Wars and they just days ago told retailers that they most likely wont do this anymore, but if one considers Bleeding Cool a newssource worthy enough to be posted every day and not see Marvel in the nicest light, I guess thats a assumption you can make.

But to be fair, there is a lot that doesnt make sense at Marvel right now.

Makes no sense since the starting point was completly different after Secret Wars and they just days ago told retailers that they most likely wont do this anymore, but if one considers Bleeding Cool a newssource worthy enough to be posted every day and not see Marvel in the nicest light, I guess thats a assumption you can make.

Agree completely. Secret Wars had nothing to do with any of their movie plans (seriously, try to find ANY MCU links in there, they don't exist) and more to do with cleaning up a continuity mess while giving creative talent a blank check to see what works.

Avengers 3 will be big for their film side, but not substantially more than Captain America: Civil War.

There will be an event of some sort, but there's no WAY another secret wars is happening.

Probably similar to marvel now, all new marvel now, all new all different etc. Just a clearing and shuffling of the deck, presumably with better intentions and commitments behind it this time.

Vic_Viper

If BC is right and Generations is just a 1 and done I'm not buying lol. It never had to be a complete relaunch, but a fresh start would have been really nice. I never expected them to really revive people like Jean Grey and Wolverine but it would have gone along way to helping those who don't like their current "diverse" cast of characters.

I guess having ResurreXion for all the X books
Should have been a huge red flag for anyone thinking Marvel was going to be doing a line wide relaunch. They wouldn't be doing ResurreXion if it was just going to be over after Generations.

They don't need to do another Secret Wars level event to do this though. All they need is to have all these classic, bread and butter characters arrive one day on another lifeboat or something saying they escaped right before Battleworld and are just now getting here.

jurgen

presumably with better intentions and commitments behind it this time.

For the first three months, at least.

There needs to be a shake-up or clear, new direction from an editorial standpoint. They've spent the last few years souring artists with their editorial practices.

Probably similar to marvel now, all new marvel now, all new all different etc. Just a clearing and shuffling of the deck, presumably with better intentions and commitments behind it this time.

We're getting that after Secret Empire no matter what, the structure of the event guarantees it.

So marvel is going to clear the deck twice in less than a year?

Agree completely. Secret Wars had nothing to do with any of their movie plans (seriously, try to find ANY MCU links in there, they don't exist) and more to do with cleaning up a continuity mess while giving creative talent a blank check to see what works.

Avengers 3 will be big for their film side, but not substantially more than Captain America: Civil War.

There will be an event of some sort, but there's no WAY another secret wars is happening.
I don't say another event or reality altering thing. I'm saying I expect Marvel to do their big relaunch/Marvel Now-er when the movie is out to try to grab new people while putting into motion the things they've learned from Rebirth and everything post-2015. It's clearly not happening this year apart from double or triple shipping.

In regards to the new Teen Titans movie; Havent seen it yet, who is the girl with short blond hair that has the yellow energy balls on her fists? Also, is this a continuation form the Teen Titans vs. Justice League movie?

So glad its getting such positive feedback!

Yes its a continuation of JL vs Teen Titans.
The short hair blond is Terra.

I don't say another event or reality altering thing. I'm saying I expect Marvel to do their big relaunch/Marvel Now-er when the movie is out to try to grab new people while putting into motion the things they've learned from Rebirth and everything post-2015. It's clearly not happening this year apart from double or triple shipping.

I'm saying it doesn't make sense. Infinity war will be big, but it's not going to significantly outgross CA: Civil War. (1.1 billion, 1.2? Can't be bothered to check).

Marvel ran Civil War II to try and piggyback off the success of that movie and was rewarded for it with retail complaints and cratering sales.

NOBODY thinks huge linewide events are a good idea for them right now. They flat out said as much during the retreat directly to retailers when asked.

Core buyers are burned out, and the casual audience doesn't buy monthlies in significant numbers no matter what's at the box office.

In addition, there will be a soft relaunch i.e. Marvel Now! After Secret Empire concludes which is what..6 months before the movie? A huge event coming right off the conclusion of another huge event is literally what they said they won't do and retailers don't want. Likewise with another Marvel Now! The timing doesn't make any business sense.

There will be an event, but it won't be on the scale of anything bigger than Pleasant Hill or IvX.

Mmm I'm not sure Ive read anything about a relaunch after Secret Empire, I think most books will be business as usual. Nor do I really think there will be an event around the relaunch next year, much more of a publishing event oppose to a storyline event. An admittal of problems and lots of pr promising things have changed. Don't hold your breath and all that but eh.

jurgen

I'm saying it doesn't make sense. Infinity war will be big, but it's not going to significantly outgross CA: Civil War. (1.1 billion, 1.2? Can't be bothered to check).

Marvel ran Civil War II to try and piggyback off the success of that movie and was rewarded for it with retail complaints and cratering sales.

NOBODY thinks huge linewide events are a good idea for them right now. They flat out said as much during the retreat directly to retailers when asked.

Core buyers are burned out, and the casual audience doesn't buy monthlies in significant numbers no matter what's at the box office.

In addition, there will be a soft relaunch i.e. Marvel Now! After Secret Empire concludes which is what..6 months before the movie? A huge event coming right off the conclusion of another huge event is literally what they said they won't do and retailers don't want. Likewise with another Marvel Now! The timing doesn't make any business sense.

There will be an event, but it won't be on the scale of anything bigger than Pleasant Hill or IvX.

I wouldn't underestimate the arrogance of a company that wants to sell you a $9.99 issue of Deadpool.

I wouldn't underestimate the arrogance of a company that wants to sell you a $9.99 issue of Deadpool.
A company that in that interview praised the $9.99 Spider-Man issue for bringing them more money than the usual issues despite fewer picking it up.

Mmm I'm not sure Ive read anything about a relaunch after Secret Empire, I think most books will be business as usual. Nor do I really think there will be an event around the relaunch next year, much more of a publishing event oppose to a storyline event. An admittal of problems and lots of pr promising things have changed. Don't hold your breath and all that but eh.

Marvel is literally resetting the status quo during secret empire to a scenario where Hydra wins and runs the planet.

Every ongoing book will be interrupted for it without exception. There's no way to kind of ignore the collapse of world government and history being reset by a cosmic cube.

One way or another the event is going to end with a new status quo, with new arcs starting. Trying to pick up plot points from 6 months prior doesn't make a lot of sense, especially when considering that Marvel is loath to run anything past issue 24 that's not spidey or deadpool.

What did y'all think of the Rat Queens relaunch? I'm not sure myself. The art is better than Fowler (duh) but not as good as Upchurch or Sejic. It also didn't seem quite as funny or kick-assy as in the past. Still gonna give it an arc. I just didn't quite feel as YES IT'S BACK as I hoped I would.
I thought it was better than the Fowler stuff, but I did feel it was a little too "Sunday morning strip" with the comedy. I'm still excited, though we'll have to see how it handles the serious moments.

One way or another the event is going to end with a new status quo, with new arcs starting.

Sure man, if you say so. Bear in mind, the solicits are already out with a good number of books simply trucking on past Secret Empire in June, but there's no point in arguing over it.

Sure man, if you say so. Bear in mind, the solicits are already out with a good number of books simply trucking on past Secret Empire in June, but there's no point in arguing over it.
Yeah, it seems just like business as usual. They even have a Spider Family/Venom event on the way.

I doubt Disney cares about the comic market. They want IPs, not print money.

"Same face" Noto.
/s

Comics are IP merchandise, and we know Disney cares about merchandise. Im not really aware of what Disney offers at their stores or wherever their reach is but I imagine marvel comics targeted to children wherever Disney is would be smart thing for them to do.

Maybe someone here knows

Secret Empire is a 9 issue series that concludes in August. It's barely getting started in June.

I haven't seen any solicitations for September after the event is over but if you have them, point me to them.

Secret Empire is a 9 issue series that concludes in August. It's barely getting started in June.

I haven't seen any solicitations for September after the event is over but if you have them, point me to them.

Nah obviously you know what's going on dude, let's go with what you say. I had no idea the length of Secret Empire or that it would end in a specific month either, so I'm glad I know that now too :p

Comics are IP merchandise, and we know Disney cares about merchandise. Im not really aware of what Disney offers at their stores or wherever their reach is but I imagine marvel comics targeted to children wherever Disney is would be smart thing for them to do.

Maybe someone here knows

My kids love going to the Disney Store, so I'm in there at least once a month. They have no comics there. They sell high-end art books and sticker books. They sell Avengers' costumes, figurines, cups, Tsum Tsums, backpacks and t-shirts...But no comics. That said, I am in Canada. Maybe it's different in the states.

Messi

I thought it was better than the Fowler stuff, but I did feel it was a little too "Sunday morning strip" with the comedy. I'm still excited, though we'll have to see how it handles the serious moments.

I'm happy with the reset. It's what the series needed. At the very least I left happy.

Maybe someone here knows

Or maybe Disney did the math and realized the market is way too small to make a huge profit.

Nah obviously you know what's going on dude, let's go with what your say. I had no idea the length of Secret Empire or that it would end in a specific month either, so I'm glad I know that now too :p

I'd be shocked if it ended on time since no event has since...ever...but it's clearly not going to be done by June.

But be realistic. Marvel did restarts of core books after SW, CW2, AVX, and IVX. Secret Empire will be more of the same. Yes, Venomverse is coming but that will be it's own thing in the wake of whatever they do with SE.

Expecting books to simply truck on and ignore SE ignores how marvel has run their business since the original Marvel Now!

Sandfox

We have no idea what Marvel is planning right after Secret Empire either way so I don't see the point in acting like we do. All we know is that MMM is coming, which will be bringing back the classic heroes alongside the legacies soon, and that there won't be any big events.

A company that in that interview praised the $9.99 Spider-Man issue for bringing them more money than the usual issues despite fewer picking it up.
If you think about it logically a more expensive product like that is expected to bring in more money with less sells. I would actually call it common sense tbqh.
holy fuck Marvel how are you so bad at this

this is fucking Convergence-tier
Based on what we've heard I wouldn't put it on the same level as convergence, which had the bonus of being the only books published.

I'd be shocked if it ended on time since no event has since...ever...but it's clearly not going to be done by June.

For sure man, it's my mistake, here I was thinking it would be done in June. That's what I was trying to say after all.

In all seriousness, I don't know to say. I thought we were discussing what we thought would happen, you seem to be telling me what will happen and apparently things I didn't know I thought myself. I've no interest in that kind of conversation, I'm not about to pretend my opinion is factual, nor that yours is, so I'm out dude.

Sandfox

But be realistic. Marvel did restarts of core books after SW, CW2, AVX, and IVX. Secret Empire will be more of the same. Yes, Venomverse is coming but that will be it's own thing in the wake of whatever they do with SE.

Expecting books to simply truck on and ignore SE ignores how marvel has run their business since the original Marvel Now!
Marvel is making an effort to have it done on time after what happened with the last two events so we'll see.

Top Bottom