• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

They just want to bait the 90s X-Men fans

True, I probably overthought it. $$$ is always the simplest answer. Still seems a little bizarre but whatever I guess, it's not like I'm ever buying a variant anyway. In fact the only variant I ever bought was New Avengers #1 that had the weird bubble character stand in that wasn't actually a character lol and it was regular cover price as my defence. If I had a regular comic store I think I'd buy Mignola variants.

Sandfox

Lol I can't really parse it. Are they having a dig at DC or the Image anniversary? Or is it a dig at all, or do they think water under the bridge and all that? No idea haha.
It's just Marvel reusing art from an extremely popular artist because a lot of people collect his stuff, not some dig.

But "artists don't move the needle" according to Marvel. :p
Alonso said that few artists impact sales like writers do and Jim Lee is obviously one of them.

TheFlow

Banned
X-Men: Blue #1

First to start off this is my first comic in about 3 months. Decided to start with this one because it is new and everyone is raving about.

So I was pretty surprised with the throwback villain
Black Cassidy
haven't seen him in a while.

But then we get a special guest! HOLY SHIT. THey literally went and took from Claremont! Like it is cool seeing the big guy, but come on we gotta move on from the past.

That being said this was a great #1!

The ending might make some people worried about the future of this book but I know where this is going
make jimmy attracted to jean.

costumes looks better in motion/panels.

Fair enough on the Jim Lee thing, my brain just wasn't computing.

Flow reviews are back. Need to make sure you end with #flowout next time.

This is the variant I was thinking of
latest

I think they wanted to keep Sentry or Ronin a secret but no idea why that turned into a random bubble head dude rather than just not have it.

Nice. Ill get that.

Mm, I buy the premiere HCs of Thor & Strange as a means to an end, but I'll be upgrading both to OHC at year's end.

Bleh, thought I'd eye up Spurrier's Legacy run for later once I'm through his own stuff and it seems of the 4 volumes, vol 2 is completely out of print while the rest are easily obtainable. And the only upcoming option is an omnibus, which I have no interest in lol. Oh well.

It's kind of funny how no one ever talks about the Duane Swierczynski half of that run. Nothing positive, nothing negative, just nothing lol as if it doesn't exist. You reminded me there with the vol 1 part.
There's more after Fraction/Bru? lol

Btw Donnie, have you read Six Gun Gorilla? I imagine you'd love it too. I need to finish the Spire myself. Read the first few issues as they were releasing and I really dug it, I just fell behind.

There's more after Fraction/Bru? lol

Btw Donnie, have you read Six Gun Gorilla? I imagine you'd love it too. I need to finish the Spire myself. Read the first few issues as they were releasing and I really dug it, I just fell behind.

It's coming! I ordered that too but Easter weekend has fucked everything up and the only thing that made it before the cut off was The Spire, Tuesday for everything else. I would have ideally read Six Gun first since they worked on it first but what can you do. Really do recommend reading the rest of The Spire though, such a great thing.

Order is as follows:

Six Gun Gorilla
The Spire
Shutter vol 1 & vol 2
Prophet vol 1 & vol 2
From Under Mountains
Mirror
Arclight
Pretty Deadly vol 2
Trees vol 2
Injection vol 2

All caught up on my regular books bar Ellis stuff and wanted to get out of my current rut of the same books by the same writers and try some new stuff, particularly some new artists. I shake my head at Marvel's moving the needle shit but I am guilty of buying by writer the last year or so, and writer I already know at that, so went through my perennial list and started ticking off things I'd had there for awhile. Couple of things I wish I could have fit in, Lake Of Fire, Headlopper, that I've already got locked in for next time.

X-Men: Blue #1

First to start off this is my first comic in about 3 months. Decided to start with this one because it is new and everyone is raving about.

So I was pretty surprised with the throwback villain
Black Cassidy
haven't seen him in a while.

But then we get a special guest! HOLY SHIT. THey literally went and took from Claremont! Like it is cool seeing the big guy, but come on we gotta move on from the past.

That being said this was a great #1!

The ending might make some people worried about the future of this book but I know where this is going
make jimmy attracted to jean.

You say they have to move on from the past, but this is a book about the original five X-Men, as kids, being lead by the villain of their #1 issue and fighting the villain of their #12.

Besides, nothing will ever match the majesty of the X-Men in a magical Irish castle fighting a man whose mutant power is shooting lasers from shillelaghs and also Juggernaut's there, too.
X-Men blue was wayyyyyyyyyy better than Gold. Hands down.
Damn skippy
What the fuck is this thread title.
What you wanted it to be

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
It's coming! I ordered that too but Easter weekend has fucked everything up and the only thing that made it before the cut off was The Spire, Tuesday for everything else. I would have ideally read Six Gun first since they worked on it first but what can you do. Really do recommend reading the rest of The Spire though, such a great thing.

Order is as follows:

Six Gun Gorilla
The Spire
Shutter vol 1 & vol 2
Prophet vol 1 & vol 2
From Under Mountains
Mirror
Arclight
Pretty Deadly vol 2
Trees vol 2
Injection vol 2

All caught up on my regular books bar Ellis stuff and wanted to get out of my current rut of the same books by the same writers and try some new stuff, particularly some new artists. I shake my head at Marvel's moving the needle shit but I am guilty of buying by writer the last year or so, and writer I already know at that, so went through my perennial list and started ticking off things I'd had there for awhile. Couple of things I wish I could have fit in, Lake Of Fire, Headlopper, that I've already got locked in for next time.

Big fan of Shutter and Injection vol 2 was really good and pretty different from the first arc.

Mirror and Pretty Deadly vol 2 are two of the best looking books around.

X-Men blue was wayyyyyyyyyy better than Gold. Hands down.

Not surprised at all based on the creative teams.

Zombine

Banned
You say they have to move on from the past, but this is a book about the original five X-Men, as kids, being lead by the villain of their #1 issue and fighting the villain of their #12.

Nailed it. X-Men #1 Remix. It even plays off of that whole time displaced/altered future theme.

Big fan of Shutter and Injection vol 2 was really good and pretty different from the first arc.

Thats good to hear. I would always give an Ellis book a little time, but truth be told, I struggled a little with Injection. I haven't been back and read again though so there is that too. Shalvey's part is great at least. Trees was more preferred when I read through the two.

Not surprised at all folk have preferred Bunn to Gugenheim but maybe a little surprised people have received Blue quite so well. Bunn's work for hire seems to yo yo,this must be one of his good days/books.

caliph95

Thats good to hear. I would always give an Ellis book a little time, but truth be told, I struggled a little with Injection. I haven't been back and read again though so there is that too. Shalvey's part is great at least. Trees was more preferred when I read through the two.

Not surprised at all folk have preferred Bunn to Gugenheim but maybe a little surprised people have received Blue quite so well. Bunn's work for hire seems to yo yo,this must be one of his good days/books.
It's not like he had strong competition

Cool mashup: Joe Hill's next book (book book, not comic book) is a 4 novella anthology, each with illustrations. One will be with Renae DeLiz, not a team up I would have expected.

Vic_Viper

Why is Aaron leaving Doctor Strange and how was his run? Compared to his Wolverine and the X-Men?

Whats been going on with Joe Kelley and Ed Mcguinnes on Spider-man/Deadpool? They are randomly being replaced with other writers and artists for an issue or two. I stopped picking it up each month since it was starting to get annoying. Are they leaving the book? Because that would be a shame, I want to get the trade but not sure what has been going on with it.

TheFlow

Banned

Besides, nothing will ever match the majesty of the X-Men in a magical Irish castle fighting a man whose mutant power is shooting lasers from shillelaghs and also Juggernaut's there, too.

Damn skippy

What you wanted it to be
True. I just wish the other mutants would get more spotlight instead of trying to gov did different versions of the original 5

David Rubin, the pretty incredible artist on Ether, is teasing that he's working on a top secret project at DH with Jeff Lemire. Could be Black Hammer related rather than a new book, but pretty cool anyhow, dude is mega talented.

It honestly looks like Cap lol

Vic_Viper

Strangers in Paradise is on sale on comixology. Get on that.

Gen X and X-Factor are also!

Just picked up both Gen X vols and The Black Monday Murders since ive been hearing alot of great things about it on here. Didnt even know Hickman was working on another book atm.

Low is also part of the sale but I think im going to wait till the Year One HC comes out in October. the art alone is worth it. Havent read any of it yet though, hope its better than Black Science.

Messi

Just picked up both Gen X vols and The Black Monday Murders since ive been hearing alot of great things about it on here. Didnt even know Hickman was working on another book atm.

Low is also part of the sale but I think im going to wait till the Year One HC comes out in October. the art alone is worth it. Havent read any of it yet though, hope its better than Black Science.

Low is my favourite Remender book.

BMM is great, make sure you put a night aside there, I thought it was a pretty involving read. I didn't even wait until I was finished to start flicking back and forth to reference earlier dates and names etc.

How far did you make it with Black Science btw?

How the hell could Pak have gotten Logan's voice that wrong in Weapon X? Pretty meh.
Not just Logan, but Old Man Logan, which has a different voice. Sabretooth bothered me more, though. Still seems like it'll be fun.
True. I just wish the other mutants would get more spotlight instead of trying to gov did different versions of the original 5
More characters will come aboard, so I wouldn't worry.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Is anyone here as hyped on Vault Comics as I am? There are a new publisher, but damn their books are great. Heathen is the absolute standout, though.

Vic_Viper

BMM is great, make sure you put a night aside there, I thought it was a pretty involving read. I didn't even wait until I was finished to start flicking back and forth to reference earlier dates and names etc.

How far did you make it with Black Science btw?

I was picking the single issues up monthly as the released, probably about the first 8-10. It was a cool premise but it just didn't catch my attention as well as Fear Agent or Deadly Class did. Still a good book imo, just not Remender's best creator owned work.

Just noticed last night that Lark is the artist in Lazarus. Haven't read through his Daredevil stuff yet, just skimmed through the Omni when it arrived. But how can he do such amazing work on Laz while his DD stuff can be pretty bland. It almost looks like he's just trying to match the previous artist style that came before him with Bendis's run. Don't get me wrong, I think he does great work. Just that his run on DD pales in comparison to his Lazarus stuff.

Really like the current DD artist. Hope Marvel does a HC for it with the first 2 trades in it like they did with Bendis's X books and the upcoming DC Rebirth HCs.

I was picking the single issues up monthly as the released, probably about the first 8-10. It was a cool premise but it just didn't catch my attention as well as Fear Agent or Deadly Class did. Still a good book imo, just not Remender's best creator owned work.

Yea, that's fair enough. I don't think you should ever have to wait for a book to get good, but I know a lot of things changed for me with the book around #16, or the beginning of the 4th vol that would be. The book undergoes a kind of reboot and refocus after the end of vol 3 shakes things up, and Remender makes good on a lot of stuff that I had previously held against the book. Whether it was always the plan or just him readjusting to criticism, it does come together imo. Just a thought!

Rereading vol 2 of East Of West this evening, got vol 5-6 sitting on the shelf so just working my way towards them. I love the issue where the rangers and their backstory are introduced. I've never read Judge Dredd, but this is how I would imagine it to be mashed up with Mad Max. So good.

Top Bottom