• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Green Lanterns New Guardians #34: I love me some good body horror and this one wrapped up nicely. Excited for the upcoming Lantern/New Gods event! I mean, fuck the New Gods, they're all kind of dumb as a general rule but if you're giving me a chance to root against them I'm on board.

I wish Marvel would do a better job of tying their books together. I was reading Uncanny Avengers and
Steve Rogers turns up without his powers... which was really odd because I had just finished reading Avengers which featured him with his super soldier serum.
The continuity between them all is off.

1. Sometime after beginning of Original Sin in Avengers
Cap remembers the Illuminati and declares war on Tony. Cap is still young.
2. In Original Sin #7
Thor loses his hammer , Cap is young and friends with Tony.
3. In Uncanny Avengers
Thor has hammer but Cap is old and friends with Tony.

Marvel editors not paying attention like normal.

kswiston

2. In Original Sin #7
3. In Uncanny Avengers

The real issue is events. Books have their own plotlines, then an event comes and everyone has to scramble to tie into that. However, coordinating with said event AND every other title under the sun using shared characters is next to impossible, so we get situations like you describe. If they didn't have to work around Original sin, you could just say that Avengers happened first, and Tony/Steve had a temporary ceasefire in Uncanny Avengers because a Celestial was trying to destroy the world. End of story.

Tizoc

Comics! Fanfiction |OT| September 2014. Blue Beetle x Booster Gold XOXO
FTFY~

Nay. We can wait on Spike.

So you don't want me to not make a Ghetto september comics thread?
In other words you WANT me to make a ghetto September comics thread, that's 1 vote so far~

Archie Comics! |OT| September 2014. Gotta go fast...

I was going more for
COMICS! |OT| September 2014. Your favourite comics suck.

When was the last big or any real meaningful update to the older series on Marvel Unlimited? Main reason I got it was to catch up on all the old stuff but there is so many huge gaps in the series or stuff that hasn't been uploaded at all. Seems like every week it's nothing but Marvel Now titles being posted up anymore :(

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
2. In Original Sin #7
3. In Uncanny Avengers

I've noticed for a while now Captain America seems to be the furthest book ahead timeline wise
(probably because if given the choice all the other marvel writers would probably take using young cap for as long as possible)
. So right now a lot of books seem to flip flop timeline wise around cap.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
2. In Original Sin #7
3. In Uncanny Avengers

But it doesn't matter, does it?

Saying that though, I have been finding Uncanny Avengers the hardest to fit into some kind of coherent universe, especially when stacked up against Hickman's stories. Both Hickman and Remender's work seems to render the other irrelevant, tbh I think it was a mistake of Marvel to have two such massive stories running at the same time with the same casts.

But then again, it REALLY doesn't matter does it? It's all just stories. If you read one of them in ten years' time (lol, like any of us have time for re-reads), you will only be thinking about that story, not so much the larger universe.

Holy shit seriously. Couldn't even finish it. And I was super hyped for it.

I couldn't even finish it either, breh. The dialog was like a combination of insincere soap opera and poorly translated subtitles. And some bizarre plot developments like the ninja chick and the strawberry milk. The characters are generic, boring fetish objects. Even the lettering choices are a disaster.

Just fuckin' awful, which is too bad cuz the art was good.

Messi

I couldn't even finish it either, breh. The dialog was like a combination of insincere soap opera and poorly translated subtitles. And some bizarre plot developments like the ninja chick and the strawberry milk. The characters are generic, boring fetish objects. Even the lettering choices are a disaster.

Just fuckin' awful, which is too bad cuz the art was good.

Shes a cat

Girl goes to Japan to live with her Mother. Discovers crazy supernatural shit exists / is happening. Considers this "bizarre" plot development.

Reads and understands Grant Morrison shit. Considers this perfectly logical.

Edit: Fetish objects? What the fuck am I reading?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
How is The Sixth Gun?

And I have Doom Patrol withdrawal symptoms. Are the other runs any good? (Arnold Drake and Rachel Pollack).

Nope :p I tried reading some of the follow on arc (I got the issues when I bought the Moz run, all in a big box, best £30 I ever spent) and it was terrible. Doom Patrol was a creator owned series by Grant Morrison and Richard Case, everything else is hallucination caused by grief.

Fusebox

Banned
I just read Avengers Disassembled and I don't get the reading order. From here:

http://www.comicbookherald.com/the-complete-marvel-reading-order-guide/guide-part-2-disassembled/

◦Thor #80
◦Iron Man #84
◦Spectacular Spider-Man #15
◦Thor #81
◦Iron Man #85
◦Spectacular Spider-Man #16
◦Thor #82
◦Captain America & The Falcon #5
◦Iron Man #86
◦Captain America #29
◦Spectacular Spider-Man #17
◦Avengers #500
◦Thor #83
◦Captain America & The Falcon #6
◦Iron Man #87
◦Captain America #30
◦Spectacular Spider-Man #18
◦Fantastic Four #517
◦Avengers #501
◦Thor #84
◦Iron Man #88
◦Captain America #31
◦Spectacular Spider-Man #19
◦Fantastic Four #518
◦Avengers #502
◦Thor #85
◦Iron Man #89
◦Captain America #32
◦Fantastic Four #519
◦Spectacular Spider-Man #20
◦Captain America & The Falcon #7
◦Avengers #503
◦Avengers Finale #1
◦Excalibur #8

None of the runs seem to tie in, everyone is in all different places doing different things at the same time. Spiderman is a massive spider in one issue then normal in the next, Tonys outburst at the UN is never really explained apart from 'Wanda. Magic.'

In hindsight I think I may have enjoyed it more if I read them as blocks like Thor 80-85 and Iron Man: Disassembled 84-89 instead of going back and forth between them all.

Is this a particularly bad arc or did I just not really get it?

MG310

I remember really enjoying that Avengers Finale issue - lots of guest artists illustrating various Avengers favorite memories of the team.

Don't think I read anything outside of the main Avengers issues and it felt like every other Bendis event book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom