• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombine

Banned
The smart move for Marvel right now would be to reprint the Howard the Duck omnibus.

Build the brand before he plays a bigger role in the next film. He must have been received fairly well.

Losing Steve Gerber so early is second only to the death of Kirby. The man was a poet, and he got manhandled exactly like Kirby. He deserved better, and he deserves to live on through the success of Howard and hopefully Man-Thing sometime soon.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Pls hold a poll for best-comic-read-last-year. I want to nominate Doom Patrol for 1, 2 and 3. What a ride.

Completely due to personal issues and to no fault of Doom Patrol's, I've only managed to read one issue in the past few days... I'm so excited to read more when I'm able to though. I just read the issue after the Beard Hunter issue though, and stuff is really heating up. I'm so excited.

Also, accidentally read part of the spoiler when I quoted you. D'oh...

Yeah I've been slacking on Doom Patrol the past few days too. I was hoping to finish it before Animal Man was delivered but I don't think I'm gonna be able to accomplish that at this rate. Been way too distracted-- I didn't even do anything today!

I just finished reading Hickman's run on Fantastic Four/Future Foundation. Man that was REALLY good. I got a little choked up a couple times (I'm sure people who've read it can figure out when.) Does Hickman top that at any point? I absolutely loved it. The emotion, and how light hearted it could be one issue, and then very serious the next and it didn't feel strange or out of place. Is his Avengers comparable? Or is it just the fact that this was about a family gave it that extra emotional heft?

Pls hold a poll for best-comic-read-last-year. I want to nominate Doom Patrol for 1, 2 and 3. What a ride.

Dorothy. :( . She should have stayed. At least Kay, Cliff and Rebis got a relatively happy ending.

yeeeeees one of us

no offense to Rachel Pollack's run afterwards, but the ending to Morrison's run is so good that I feel like nobody should have done anything with these character ever again

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Gaaah. I want to talk about Doom Patrol with you guys too...
Maybe I can read like 400 pages of it tomorrow.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I just finished reading Hickman's run on Fantastic Four/Future Foundation. Man that was REALLY good. I got a little choked up a couple times (I'm sure people who've read it can figure out when.) Does Hickman top that at any point? I absolutely loved it. The emotion, and how light hearted it could be one issue, and then very serious the next and it didn't feel strange or out of place. Is his Avengers comparable? Or is it just the fact that this was about a family gave it that extra emotional heft?

He's not done with Avengers/New Avengers yet so we can't say, but it's a different kind of story anyway.

Elizabeth Breitweiser's colors on The Fade Out are just too godlike. Have we never got the combo of Phillips + Breitweiser before this year? I stopped reading Fatale pretty early on, gotta admit

Cheska

Did you read the whole series or just the first omnibus? It's in my backlog pile and likely one of the things I'll tackle next.

frye

Elizabeth Breitweiser's colors on The Fade Out are just too godlike. Have we never got the combo of Phillips + Breitweiser before this year? I stopped reading Fatale pretty early on, gotta admit

She took over Dave Stewart back on issue 12 or something, and yeah it's the bessst

LosDaddie

Banned
Hey, everyone with pending orders from IST: what's your status?

One of my packages shipped out, and the other two have finally had most items picked and scanned. Waiting on like 1-2 books in each order to be fulfilled.

I ordered the Brightest Day omnibus on the Friday of release week, and it took IST a week to ship the order to me. I should get it sometime next week.

But I'm in no hurry to read it. So I don't mind the wait.

Messi

Did you read the whole series or just the first omnibus? It's in my backlog pile and likely one of the things I'll tackle next.

Ooooor hear me out. You could reread the 3 available trades of Harley Quinn's first series. It's delightful.

Hey, everyone with pending orders from IST: what's your status?

One of my packages shipped out, and the other two have finally had most items picked and scanned. Waiting on like 1-2 books in each order to be fulfilled.
O couple orders are making progress. Only one or 2 books from being complete. Just ordered this weeks set. Getting through most of my most wanted at this point

She took over Dave Stewart back on issue 12 or something, and yeah it's the bessst

well, there ya go. She's such a wonderful fit for Phillips noir style, cuz he always playing between the light and the dark, and her color palette really makes the shift in tone and settings stand out. The dark interiors of the home vs the romanticized dawn setting of the party, the bright red of the dress and lipstick standing out against the darker shades, the way she and Phillips can suggest a sense of place through some atmospheric hues and period details, etc. Its really great.

The_Fade_Out_001_010.jpg

The_Fade_Out_001_011.jpg

The_Fade_Out_001_029.jpg

Cheska

I know there were some mixed feelings about the first two issues of Sensation Comics, but this week's issue was extra good IMO. Loved the living shit out of these panels.

m2zhdBLl.png

Loke13

Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers is every bit as epic as his FF's the stakes are even higher. That said where as FF was more family oriented hiss approach to Avengers/NA is more clinical but every bit as good.

Hickman basically explores each of these heroes psyche especially Namor, Black Panther and CA. His NA book is just an amazing book all around and basically has his heroes forced to choose between two impossible decisions and as such forces them to questions their morals and resolve.

His Avengers book is a bit of a step down in my opinion but it's meant to be a complement to his NA book and it's pretty good in it's own right albeit a bit slow to start at the begging but give it a chance you just know Hickman is building up to something epic in both books.

I honestly am I having so much fun reading this book I have a firm belief that I am reading a classic in the making.

I know there were some mixed feelings about the first two issues of Sensation Comics, but this week's issue was extra good IMO. Loved the living shit out of these panels.

m2zhdBLl.png

Writers go with the "fierce Amazon warrior" Wonder Woman way more than the "mother who loves all people" Wonder Woman way too often

I read the whole series. It's extremely good. Starts off a bit slow, but once the "Three" storyline hits I feel it just never lets up and is just amazing from that point on. I'd really recommend it.

So I read new comics, I'll share.

Wayward #1 feels like the set up of an anime to me and I enjoyed it, but it really could go either way.

Wikced & Divine #1 I enjoyed, I usually like the premise of Gods in modern day society, so I'll be following it for sure.

Finally read The Fade Out #1. I think Brubaker and Phillips are one of my favorite comic duos. I'm not quite sure where it's heading exactly, but like Fatale, I'd like to know.

Also, I think Revival may be my favorite book going on right now (even if I'm a few issues behind), I like the story a lot.

Tizoc

Where da September thread at?

Writers go with the "fierce Amazon warrior" Wonder Woman way more than the "mother who loves all people" Wonder Woman way too often

Ever read The Hiketia (sp) by Greg Rucka? Was his foray in a Wondy book and it nails the latter aspect as you posted.

wetflame

Pizza Dog

m2zhdBLl.png

Cut to the Dark Age version of that kid twenty years later using that piece of the lasso as the ultimate truth serum in shady government conspiracy investigations.

I've been going back and listening to some more episodes of Talking Comics. It really is great. I think this is going to replace ifanboy for me. I've just gotten tired of ifanboy's relentlessly dour anti-DC attitude. These folks on Talking Comics seem to just love all comics without prejudice.

Messi

I've been going back and listening to some more episodes of Talking Comics. It really is great. I think this is going to replace ifanboy for me. I've just gotten tired of ifanboy's relentlessly dour anti-DC attitude. These folks on Talking Comics seem to just love all comics without prejudice.

I really love it

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Oh those are lovely looking. This one is adorable.

rs_alm1217340205276.jpg

I was always weirded out by the fact that all the male characters look like anthropomorphized animals and the females look like humans with a few animal features. Really bizarre.

Zombine

Banned
I was always weirded out by the fact that all the male characters look like athropomorphized animals and the females look like humans with a few animal features. Really bizarre.

I think it may have to do with the females being "fairer" and more human in their emotions, while it's very easy to tell what kind of man you are dealing with. We can't conceal what type of person we are very well.

It's not done to be creepy, I'm willing to bet that it's intentionally supposed to be like that.

I also wanted to add that Blacksad is the first series to really "hook" me since the Walking Dead. I read and buy a shit ton of books on a regular basis, but I never become a huge fan of any of them. But the moment I read Blacksad I had to read it again, and the wait for my other book has been awful.

Messi

I think it may have to do with the females being "fairer" and more human in their emotions, while it's very easy to tell what kind of man you are dealing with. We can't conceal what type of person we are very well.

It's not done to be creepy, I'm willing to bet that it's intentionally supposed to be like that.

I also wanted to add that Blacksad is the first series to really "hook" me since the Walking Dead. I read and buy a shit ton of books on a regular basis, but I never become a huge fan of any of them. But the moment I read Blacksad I had to read it again, and the wait for my other book has been awful.

49672d1342838853-turbine-maps-wat_7a5639_2579689-gif

I completed the first 4 tpbs of Hellboy. Pretty good fun but not something I think I will revisit. Will get the rest from the library as well.

I wish Marvel would do a better job of tying their books together. I was reading Uncanny Avengers and
Steve Rogers turns up without his powers... which was really odd because I had just finished reading Avengers which featured him with his super soldier serum.
The continuity between them all is off.

Messi

More human? Maybe that's what I'm going for? But they seem to have a wider range of emotion in Blacksad than the males who all conform to their animal.

I am afraid I can't verify. I look forward to reading it though. The art is fantastic, it's mainly what sold me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom