• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2015. Let's save the world, you and me, together. Ready?

f7ZNeja.png

T1phQBc.png

Spike's on vacation this week so I got to make the thread this month. Rest assured, he'll be back next month!

qaugsEU.png

VCbDUQn.png

Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 by James Tynion IV and Freddie E. Williams II (Dec. 9th) - Two great franchises unite! The Foot Clan invades Gotham forcing Batman and the turtles to come together. But will this unlikely team be able to cooperate to stop them?
Harley's Little Black Book #1 by Amanda Conner, Jimmy Palmiotti, and more! (Dec. 2nd) - Not content with only having a single book at a time, Team Harley is launching a new bimonthly book centering on Harley teaming up with other DC characters! This month, Harley attempts to prevent Wonder Woman's assassination!
Robin War #1 by Tom King and Khary Randolph (Dec. 2nd) - The Robins are back in town! DC begins its newest crossover event here. Dick, Tim, Jason, Damian, and the Robins will do battle against cops, Robins, Batman, and even the Court of Owls!

SgbIrjD.png

cNRLzWg.png

Daredevil #1 by Charles Soule and Ron Garney (Dec. 2nd) - Matt's back in black in NYC! How will the Man Without Fear handle his new sidekick (who is, thankfully, not Gambit)?!
Patsy Walker, AKA Hellcat! #1 by Kate Leth and Brittney Williams (Dec. 23rd) - Patsy had a hard life, and to make things even worse, now she's looking for a job in NYC! How will she manage to afford her rent while fighting crime?
Totally Awesome Hulk #1 by Greg Pak and Frank Cho (Dec. 2nd) - It's an all new Marvel universe with an all-new Hulk. Genius boy Amadeus Cho is now the Hulk and he's going to be the best Hulk ever!

Pj1YPNh.png

f6x5u1T.png

Black Jack Ketchum #1 by Brian Schirmer and Claudia Balboni (Dec. 2nd) - Good guy Tom Ketchum has been mistaken for the outlaw "Black Jack" Ketchum! With his oddball crew he is forced evade the mysterious Union and its enforcers while he begins to wonder who he really is.
Deadly Class #17 by Rick Remender and Wes Craig (Dec. 16th) - The ComicsGAF favorite is back! This new arc begins with a bang as Marcus is hunted by his fellow classmates. How will he get out of this mess?
The Fade Out #12 by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips (Dec. 16th) - The latest project from the fan-favorite creative team comes to an end this month. It all ends here!

KXpsLLu.png

99HAxuS.png

Lobster Johnson: The Glass Mantis by Mike Mignola, John Arcudi, and Toni Fejzula (Dec. 30th) - There's been a murder at the Metropolitan Museum! Lobster Johnson is here to investigate the case and discover why someone would be killed over a blown-glass sculpture.
Groo: Friends and Foes #12 by Sergio Aragonés and Mark Evanier (Dec. 16th) - It's the final issue! Will everyone be able to figure out how and where Kayli finds her father? Or are they all less intelligent than Groo?
Dark Horse Presents #17 by a lot of creators! (Dec. 16) - The famed anthology kicks off a new story this month! Enter Brooklyn Blood by Paul Levits and Tim Hamilton! A killer's on the loose and Detective Billy O'Connor and his partner work to solve the case. That is, if his PTSD doesn't get in the way.

7XkluQw.png

y5ZRZwP.jpg

Judge Dredd #1 by Ulises Farinas and Erick Freitas (Dec. 16th) - Dredd wakes up to discover that Mega-City One has been sent back to the Stone Age! How will he unravel this mystery this time?!
Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #10 by Tom Scioli and John Barber (Dec. 30th) - The crossover of your childhood favorites continues! This issue promises an unexpected twist! Will it deliver?
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #53 by Tom Waltz, Kevin Eastman, and Michael Dialynas (Dec. 23rd) - Mikey goes to visit the Mutanimals and is greeted with hospitality. It looks like this may be cut short when he discovers what Hob's been up to!

e1ZbXE9.png

Bmjn7OB.png

Klaus #2 by Grant Morrison and Dan Mora (Dec. 16th) - Christmas is coming and the next chapter of Morrison's project at Boom continues. This issue features Klaus dodging the guards in Grimsvig so he may slip magical and living toys to the poorest homes in town.
The Death-Defying Doctor Mirage: Second Lives #1 by Jen Van Meter and Roberto De La Torre (Dec. 23rd) - Shan and Hwen Mirage are finally reunited, but Hwen's still an intangible spirit! Doctor Mirage decides to enact a spell to restore his solid form. This spell, however, has the power to obliterate everything a person has ever had in this world and everything their ghost will be in the next!
Rachel Rising #38 by Terry Moore (Dec. 9th) - Rachel and Zoe team up with Lilith to catch Malus! While he may be easy to find, catching him is a different story!

G159DJG.png

New to comics? Check out Zombine's Start Up Guide!
Help support my name is ed! His comic Rage Against the Jackal is available digitally on Comixology!
Also keep an eye out for Bish's upcoming comic Savage Empire featuring art by Jim Roy Jimenez!

Messi recommends:
Sunstone Volume 4
This is my second favorite volume of the 4 volumes currently available. The characters, relationships and world are now fully established and that allows Sejic to tug at the heartstrings and twist the knife in the bad times. This volume isn't short on the drama that has been bubbling under the surface over the past 2 volumes or so. I have lost count of the amount of times I have been screaming internally for
Ally and Lisa to just tell each other that they have feelings for each other and to stop trying to avoid putting a label on it.
. The end of this volume absolutely destroyed me and left me very angry at certain people. Its not often I get that invested in a character that it bothers me to the extent that some of this has. But it is the high highs and low lows that make Sunstone such an engaging read. Can't have all those lovely moments without the bad moments.

That said there is also plenty of love and laughs. I believe this is the biggest volume yet for the same price as the previous volumes. The art is great and Sejic has improved the art for this volume. My love of Sejic is no secret and if you trust my opinions you really should buy this book. I suppose if you have read the other 3 volumes the chances of you picking up volume for are fairly high. Hijinks club approved.
(Please note that Sunstone is for mature audiences)

Basic Guidelines:
-Members in ComicsGAF are expected to follow the NeoGAF TOS just like everyone else. I know it can be hard, but try and be excellent to your fellow members guys.
-On SPOILERS. Use common sense and please, mark your spoilers! If you must post a panel or a page from a recent comic, please link to them with a proper spoiler warning. Don't be that person.
2I0ceqW.png

What madness is this? A Comics OT not made by Spike?

Truly these are strange times.

From old thread:

I won't disagree with that. But if he doesn't read Robin Son of Batman he should pick an issue of that before Red Hood and Arsenal imo.

Oh, yeah, totally.

So, they found a good artist for Bombshells again, that's nice. The Batgirls are great. I know Harper, obviously, but I'm not so sure about the rest of them?

Oh, and a new Legend of Wonder Woman came out today too, if that's your sort of thing.

Which it should be, it's a great little book. Gorgeous art, solid writing.

Ah DC sale is over. Ran out of time to get everything I wanted since it was only one day and I had to work. Which is a good thing in the end. I worked off the big items I wanted first and worked my way down. Didn't get to older supes or classic flash since it was 90 days from showing up on CMX so buying those were way more time consuming finding what was eligible.

I hope they do it again next year.

Owzers

I think your Sunstone warning isn't descriptive enough.

Also, great thread, it's much better than the one i'm going to post right now.

frye

so i don't know how many people bothered to finish that Hail Hydra mini (don't bother) but the fact that this is the final panel on the final page of Remender's last Marvel comic for the foreseeable future is kind of incredible

Messi

My finest moment. Managing to get Olivia wilde into the op. Thank you Tyrant!

What madness is this? A Comics OT not made by Spike?

Truly these are strange times.

From old thread:

Oh, yeah, totally.

So, they found a good artist for Bombshells again, that's nice. The Batgirls are great. I know Harper, obviously, but I'm not so sure about the rest of them?

Oh, and a new Legend of Wonder Woman came out today too, if that's your sort of thing.

Which it should be, it's a great little book. Gorgeous art, solid writing.

Here's a fun thing I seen a while back. Ant Lucia who designs the bombshells and does the covers posted this process of the current cover and on the sketch he had named the characters.

Later they were removed/not used

I don't read bombshells so I don't know who the other two are but I guessed Harper by looking at it. I am trade waiting as I can't stand how digital first comics are split up. In bombshells they are actually having artists draw full pages and splitting them in two and the splits are obvious. The physical version looks much better imo.

I think the series is probably perfect for me though.

Messi

No wall of shame?!? When will this guy's reign end! We won't be held down by you Tyrant.

Lovely OT BTW. I remember the time Spike was out and we had a MS paint ot.

that's a real good OP

so i don't know how many people bothered to finish that Hail Hydra mini (don't bother) but the fact that this is the final panel on the final page of Remender's last Marvel comic for the foreseeable future is kind of incredible

lol damn

doubles as a descriptor for that X-Men line he's not leading

Megatron

I just got 5-11 for $3.96. Thanks for the heads up! Love that series from the first volume I read.

Looks like those issues went on sale for this week a little early and wound up in the buy one get one free sale. Glad you were able to score too.

Looks like those issues went on sale for this week a little early and wound up in the buy one get one free sale. Glad you were able to score too.
Haha yes while I was buying other batman issues I saw some marked 99 cents and didn't know what was up until I went back and saw the front page. Double deals was nice

I added up the damage from the mega sale. I think I'm done buying comics unless they're on sale. I've learned I can wait and have plenty to read or reread. I've learned it's refreshing to get off the comic treadmill for a while

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Finished Black Vortex. They really want to make Kitty and Quill a thing dont they? >_>

Also that whole event was the biggest mcguffin chase I have ever seen

Finished Black Vortex. They really want to make Kitty and Quill a thing dont they? >_>

Also that whole event was the biggest mcguffin chase I have ever seen
It's not they its Bendis. That dude is holding her hostage and moves her to whatever book he's writing. Please someone help poor Kitty

Vyer

Nice OP Tyrant

Ah DC sale is over. Ran out of time to get everything I wanted since it was only one day and I had to work. Which is a good thing in the end. I worked off the big items I wanted first and worked my way down. Didn't get to older supes or classic flash since it was 90 days from showing up on CMX so buying those were way more time consuming finding what was eligible.

I hope they do it again next year.

Just in time for the Robin War sale!

Tomita

Hey, new thread!

Spoilers for Jessica Jones / should I read this comic?:
As someone who thought Trish was great in the show, would I enjoy the new Hellcat? The previews aren't selling it to me very well, but the previews don't even show much so... I know only the bare basics of Hellcat, and didn't really pay attention to her before watching the show. So I'm super clueless, and kind of assume by default "Trish" was a lot different than "Patsy", but thought I'd ask.

I have a budget so I have to ask, okay. Don't mind me.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Theres no ANAD Ghost Rider book announced is there? Just finished All New and not only does it not end but theres even a "not the end" blurb on the last page. I know there was a Secret Wars book but thats not exactly the same.

Also as much as that that book went off the deep end, those last 2 issues werent half bad. It reveals who the evil spirit is and his connection to Robbie, and the artist was much better now that it wasnt someone trying (and failing) to emulate Tradd Moore

Edit: also finished She Hulk, good ending to a fun run. Looking back those issues without Pulido really hurt it, especially if you read it in a trade or something. I hope Marvel doesnt shy away from more if these lighter book, im sure they dont sell gangbusters but they are some of my favorites.

What do we even have for ANAD anyway? Squirrel Girl and Surfer? Howard the Duck also I believe? Not a lot :/

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Theres no ANAD Ghost Rider book announced is there? Just finished All New and not only does it not end but theres even a "not the end" blurb on the last page. I know there was a Secret Wars book but thats not exactly the same.

Also as much as that that book went off the deep end, those last 2 issues werent half bad. It reveals who the evil spirit is and his connection to Robbie, and the artist was much better now that it wasnt someone trying (and failing) to emulate Tradd Moore

Edit: also finished She Hulk, good ending to a fun run. Looking back those issues without Pulido really hurt it, especially if you read it in a trade or something. I hope Marvel doesnt shy away from more if these lighter book, im sure they dont sell gangbusters but they are some of my favorites.

What do we even have for ANAD anyway? Squirrel Girl and Surfer? Howard the Duck also I believe? Not a lot :/

No Runaways is all I know. :(

JEKKI

ahhh crap Deadly Class is coming back this month?!?! yeayuuuuuhh~~!!!

Pick up post before the new thread, IST black friday stuff and DCBS stuff
a5Ermks.jpg

ahhh shoot! did IST have a black friday / cyborg monday sale?!?!?!

shoot, completely forgot that I needed some physical trades and should probly pick some up from them lol.

ahhh crap Deadly Class is coming back this month?!?! yeayuuuuuhh~~!!!

ahhh shoot! did IST have a black friday / cyborg monday sale?!?!?!

shoot, completely forgot that I needed some physical trades and should probly pick some up from them lol.

I just went to their site and all the stuff is still on sale, it will probably be on until they update the new books tomorrow.

Also great OP Tyrant.

Sandfox

Robbie will probably show up somewhere.

As for the second part of your post that really depends on what you mean by "lighter".

Robbie will probably show up somewhere.

As for the second part of your post that really depends on what you mean by "lighter".

Yeah. Like, the new Hulk looks light, but I don't know exactly how humour-focused it is yet. Same goes for Hercules. Also, Deadpool still has a book no one reads, right?

Sandfox

Yeah. Like, the new Hulk looks light, but I don't know exactly how humour-focused it is yet. Same goes for Hercules. Also, Deadpool still has a book no one reads, right?

Deadpool has books coming out from the writers of all of his best runs right now.

Messi

From what I understand the main Deadpool book is a big seller. Hasn't been bad either it just continued from the last run which was great.

Mindwipe

Is The Fade Out really ending with issue 12? That seems sudden.

The Transformers MTMTE Christmas special should have gone in the op.

Messi

Well this is the future I have been dreading.

From Sejic's Facebook
took a look at death vigil volume 1 sales numbers... yeah.... i think i'm done....

switch is likely going to be my last try. my health has deteriorated from overworking myself, trying to keep dying books alive. i keep fucking myself up, and now due to health problems, deadlines keep slipping away
and i just can't do it anymore.

i'll have to cut my losses and move on. i'll see how switch sales go... and given the early numbers i am not really optimistic. but after that i think i'm done. i'll probably just do work for hire stuff, maybe videogames ... no idea... we'll see, i'm not worried

:( Fuck sake

Tizoc

https://twitter.com/jroberts332/status/644758651421478912
I swear if this gives me feels...

I brought Chaos Theory+MTMTE Vol. 1-3 to read during work.
I am already engrossed with the first 2 pages JUST THE FIRST 2 PAGES of Robert's story in CT.
That's how much of a good writer he is, I love his style.
Also there is some grim truth to this line-
Impactor: "...but inequality is a way of life. Put two people in a room and one will always try to assert himself over the other"

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
New thread smell!

Also, besides Sunstone, what notable works does Sejic have? I'm not terribly familiar with him. :/

Messi

Bit of good news on this shit day. DCBS has picked my Batwoman statue for a 3rd time. Next shipment it might ship. We will see. We nearly there Sillymonkey.

My girl will positively lose her shit if Switch gets cancelled. My thoughts are that Sejic is too talented to bust his body for no dough. Screw that. Let the man do covers or w/e. Do art. Do his thing whatever (else) it may be.

Tell us what's up, m8. Sell it to us. It's up to the fans to promote, too.

From what I understand the main Deadpool book is a big seller. Hasn't been bad either it just continued from the last run which was great.

Glad to hear it. I like good books being made as a movie is releasing. Just seems logically that would be good for the comics industry.

Messi

My girl will positively lose her shit if Switch gets cancelled. My thoughts are that Sejic is too talented to bust his body for no dough. Screw that. Let the man do covers or w/e. Do art. Do his thing whatever (else) it may be.

Tell us what's up, m8. Sell it to us. It's up to the fans to promote, too.

Glad to hear it. I like good books being made as a movie is releasing. Just seems logically that would be good for the comics industry.

My store loves getting new Deadpool books. Constant seller in singles and trades and they have hew customers regularly asking for books with him.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
There should be a Deadpool/Harley Crossover. Not because of miling the meme, just because the two characters would fit.

Messi

There should be a Deadpool/Harley Crossover. Not because of miling the meme, just because the two characters would fit.

Jimmy Palmiotti and Chad Hardin pitched it to both companies around comic con and were told it was a no go. They wanted a Deadpool issue in little black book.

This was art they did for it I believe. Jimmy and Chad were both posting this trying to drum up support.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Jimmy Palmiotti and Chad Hardin pitched it to both companies around comic con and were told it was a no go. They wanted a Deadpool issue in little black book.

This was art they did for it

Yeah, Intercompany Crossover are since Disney a No-Go for Marvel and DC. To bad, there are still a couple of interesting pairings I would love to see.

Top Bottom