• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2016. World of love and strangeness and charm.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
i don't come here for liberal commentary trying to undermine our promised greatness.
At this point, I fully expect Trump come out after the last pre election and laugh at the people and he tells them that it all was a big joke.

On te otherside, seems like another funny documentery from Michael Moore.

Calcium

Banned
Olivia gifs. I store them like plants do energy.

giphy.gif

Soak it in, my friend.

Anyone used Fire HDs for Comics...and other stuff that we sometimes do?
My iPad Mini has finally crapped out after years of faithful service and don't really fancy spending a few statues worth of money on a tablet...

Owzers

Cavs already dropped Varejao too, that was inevitable, but it will be funny if one of the regular Cavs' member gets a ring on Golden State.

My iPad Mini has finally crapped out after years of faithful service and don't really fancy spending a few statues worth of money on a tablet...

They are a good value overall, but the display resolution on them is 800p

I have a fire 10. Pretty decent size, the OS is alright, you can install a regular android version on it if you like. Comics look pretty nice although its kind of funny to think my note 5 has a better screen than my tablet or my imac

PsychBat!

Banned
I have a fire 10. Pretty decent size, the OS is alright, you can install a regular android version on it if you like. Comics look pretty nice although its kind of funny to think my note 5 has a better screen than my tablet or my imac

Ah just the man I was looking for, gonna shoot ya a PM soon with a request.

mreddie

ANAD LOKI TRUMP

Changing directions rapidly -- I wanted to ask about the "Loki 2016" teaser from last week. Is that a teaser for something coming up in a story, or just a fun image to put out there?

Alonso: Keep your eyes peeled for Super Tuesday [March 1].

MAKE ASGARD GREAT AGAIN.

I'm trying to get into some Marvel stuff and would like any help getting some of the best stories for certain characters. Right now I'm looking for stuff that's easy to follow for

Iron Man
Iron Fist
Hawkeye
Deadpool
Thor
Captain America
Captain Marvel

Right now it just seems so intimidating because I was thinking of picking up the Civil War trade but theres a ton more to it then just the one. Trying to avoid that right now so any help would be appreciated.

I'm trying to get into some Marvel stuff and would like any help getting some of the best stories for certain characters. Right now I'm looking for stuff that's easy to follow for

Iron Man
Iron Fist
Hawkeye
Deadpool
Thor
Captain America
Captain Marvel

Right now it just seems so intimidating because I was thinking of picking up the Civil War trade but theres a ton more to it then just the one. Trying to avoid that right now so any help would be appreciated.
I wouldn't recommend starting with Civil War. From your list the stories that spring to my mind are Iron Man Extremis, Fraction's recent Hawkeye run and Aaron's Thor God of Thunder. All easy to get in to with no prior knowledge required. I haven't read as much of the other characters, so I expect others could give you better recommendations.

Iron Man
Iron Fist
Hawkeye
Deadpool
Thor
Captain America
Captain Marvel

Read Hawkeye and The Immortal Iron Fist. Both are by Matt Fraction and they're great and easy to jump into!

I wouldn't recommend starting with Civil War. From your list the stories that spring to my mind are Iron Man Extremis, Fraction's recent Hawkeye run and Aaron's Thor God of Thunder. All easy to get in to with no prior knowledge required. I haven't read as much of the other characters, so I expect others could give you better recommendations.

I have Extremis! I was looking into Fractions run swell. There are only 22 issues correct?

Owzers

Remember to see if you got an email from cmx about $5 off $15 on Image books, it expires 3/11. Could probably use that on wayward/skullkickers or if you wanted to throw your money away, Sunstone vol 4.

Owzers

Not like this bro. Not like this :(

i was thinking of using my discount on wayward and sunstone vol 4 :p But i have to attack things, it's how you show strength and get over for the wwe championship.

I don't think i can buy Sunstone vol 4 before reading vol 2 and 3 though, which i did buy in the last sale.

Iron Man
Iron Fist
Hawkeye
Deadpool
Thor
Captain America
Captain Marvel

I'm going to spring Modern and something easy to follow. Just read each issue in a row and you'll be good. These should all be on Comixlogy or Amazon.

Iron Man: Invincible Iron Man (60 issues + 1 annual) by Matt Fraction and Salvador Larroca. This run basically hits all on all the themes and ideas they've ever had about Tony Stark. What happens when his technology gets in the wrong hands, his battle with alcoholism, building his company back up against a rival company, Pepper Potts, Rhodey/War Machine, Armor Wars 3, his greatest villian the Mandarin, etc. Its decompressed as hell, but its like turning into a fave TV show with every issue. The characterizations are consistently great, and its compelling even with the art rarely is outside the suit.

Iron Fist: Immortal Iron Fist (#1-16 plus a few annuals) by Matt Fraction, Ed Brubaker, and David Aja. This is a great run of comics that gives a really cool pulpy backstory to Iron Fist, making him seem more than just some white dude in a funny outfit. It expands the mythos in an exciting way. Its got fantastic art from David Aja and the other fill-ins, strong plotting and character work, lots of cool kung fu mixed with high fantasy and pulp awesomeness, and it has a fantastic finale. There are more issues you can read after Fraction/Aja leaves, but they aren't as good.

Hawkeye by Matt Fraction and David Aja (1-22, plus an annual): You've probably heard a lot of hype about this, and its fully justified. As good as Fraction's two runs above are, this is his masterpiece, an experiment in pop superhero comics that's innovative, exciting, sexy, and just really fuckin' cool. Just read it bro.

Deadpool: Gail Simone's brief five issues stint(Deadpool #65-69). A lot of people will recommend Joe Kelly's run here, and that's really the definitive run on the character. Everything about Deadpool is basically coming from that run, right down to supporting characters like Blind Al. But my favorite is this five issue story Gail Simone did with a UDON artist. Its like five issues, but they're fuckin hillarious and show a multifacted Deadpool who's funny and sweet at the same time. Her Agent X run right after is a gem, too.

Thor: God of Thunder #1-12 by Jason Aaron and Esad Ribic. "The God Butcher/Godbomb Saga" is a perfect marriage of fantasy magazine visuals with Aaron's scripting/plotting that deflty combines humor, pathos, scale, and showcases of power fit only for the character of Thor. #12 is kinda an epilogue, and its quite a beautiful one.

Captain America by Ed Brubaker. This is like...a hundred issues, but the first fifty is really compelling. I'm sure you've seen Winter Soldier, where this is where that came from. Just google Captain America by Ed Brubaker and keep reading, there's a lot of good stuff in here.

Captain Marvel...I'm gonna assume you mean Carol Denvers. She is lame, maybe sillymonkey321 can give recommendations

Top Bottom