• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of obscure, But does anyone have a pic of that Guardians variant cover (or was it AnXM?) that had Jean Grey, Groot, and that giant word bubble?

PsychBat!

Banned
Kind of obscure, But does anyone have a pic of that Guardians variant cover (or was it AnXM?) that had Jean Grey, Groot, and that giant word bubble?

1111groot.jpg

Say what you will about Bendis, but he had people talking about Avengers. Now it's some psychobabble Dr Who fanfiction that is polluting other comics with it's nonsensical THE WORLD IS BREAKING bullshit. Hickman fuck back to the 3-times yearly Secret Warriors where you could fool around with dumb boring shit that affected nobody.

Meanwhile B. M. BENDIS just wrote the best X-Men story of his career with Trial of Jean Grey. This man really gets comics.

If you guys have suggestions for the April OT thread title, I'd love to hear them (even if I don't use them).

Also, get your votes in for this month's three best comics. Tomorrow's the last day to vote.

Also, next month's OT is gonna be down to the wire. I've been working on other things and procrastinated a little more than usual, so tomorrow is going to be... interesting.

Messi

If you guys have suggestions for the April OT thread title, I'd love to hear them (even if I don't use them).

Also, get your votes in for this month's three best comics. Tomorrow's the last day to vote.

Also, next month's OT is gonna be down to the wire. I've been working on other things and procrastinated a little more than usual, so tomorrow is going to be... interesting.

I feel it would misrepresent the thread if Ann Nocenti's not in the thread title Atleast once

|OT| "...and on the third day, Nocenti will rise again"

Owzers

Green Arrow #17: first issue of the trade, i'm intrigued. Not a big fan about how young they made Ollie, but that's the new 52...

I get this crazy idea that maybe i should buy Harley digitally since the issues drop to 1.99 instead of waiting for the trade. While i'm glancing at the first issue, i look at the preview pages, and... that was weirder than i was expecting.

Man, the Gotham City Sirens trades are up to some crazy prices on Amazon. But luckily there's a "Gotham City Sirens Book One" listed for a Fall 2014 release, so it looks like the series is getting a reprint.

Marvel Collector's Editions UK round-up:

This month's Incredible Hulks is a fantastic wrap-up for both Jason Aaron's Hulk and Jeff Parker's Red Hulk runs. The former crazy-go-nuts, the latter very well written and dense. I have really enjoyed both runs and will be sorry to see the creators go.

Avengers Assemble is a bumper 100 pages of mostly Luke Cage and Dr Strange-focused drama, and very enjoyable, though talky in that way only Bendis can muster.

Astonishing Spider-Man is a very fun issue, featuring Spider-Ock's takedown of Shadowland, a pivotal instalment of Scarlet Spider, and a reprint of Spidey's first encounter with Electro from ASM #9. Great read, and next issue is going to feature his first Rhino encounter, so more fun is guaranteed.

Wolverine and Deadpool is still running Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force which I can't really fault though for some reason I'm just not loving the grimdark. They're also running Daniel Way's weak, lightweight Deadpool comics that I can't stand. I'd drop this comic, but I know that it's going to hit Marvel NOW! soon and bring with it some fabulous stuff.

Can anyone recommend Ed Brubaker's Winter Soldier? Comixology have the surprisingly short-run on sale for .99 cents an issue. I'm seeing the movie on the weekend and I'm keen for some "winter reading". There's also a 'Widowmaker' mini-series on sale that looks interesting. What's the verdict?

LISSST:

BOOM!:
REVELATIONS #4

DARK HORSE:
BAD BLOOD#4

DC COMICS/VERTIGO:
DETECTIVE COMICS #30
GREEN ARROW #30
TRILLIUM #8

IMAGE:
BLACK SCIENCE #5

MARVEL
BLACK WIDOW #5
MAGNETO #2(maybe)
MOON KNIGHT #2
PUNISHER #4

Buzzkill TPB Vol. 1 comes out this week. It was a purty good mini-series, art is sweeet.

"Ruben is not your average alcoholic; he's an unstoppable superhero who derives his powers from imbibing massive amounts of alcohol. After all the disasters his addiction has caused, he's ready to get clean. When he joins a twelve-step recovery program, the city's supervillains couldn't be happier!" -TFAW.com

..And Rat Queens Vol. 1 TPB is only $5 on IST.

Blink Me

I've finally got round to reading Sandman. On Book 5 at the moment and I'm probably enjoying that one the most so far. Also read all of Demo this weekend which was good as well.

Doczu

H, could someone post some good post apocalyptic comics titles? I've read Y: Last Man (i don't know if it's typically post-apo, but i loved it), got tired of Walking Dead, and i've been looking for something like Mad Max/Fallout. Any suggestions?

dan2026

The fuck is up with Atom's chest?

Either saggy man boobs or the incompetent artist can't draw to save his life.

H, could someone post some good post apocalyptic comics titles? I've read Y: Last Man (i don't know if it's typically post-apo, but i loved it), got tired of Walking Dead, and i've been looking for something like Mad Max/Fallout. Any suggestions?

The later parts of BPRD fit the bill pretty well.

Judge Dredd sort of fits the bill.

Edit: Kamandi: The Last Boy on Earth would also seem appropriate.

Isak_Borg

Can anyone recommend Ed Brubaker's Winter Soldier? Comixology have the surprisingly short-run on sale for .99 cents an issue. I'm seeing the movie on the weekend and I'm keen for some "winter reading". There's also a 'Widowmaker' mini-series on sale that looks interesting. What's the verdict?

I would totally pick it up worth every penny!

I have all three Omnibus of Brubaker's Cap and it's a pretty amazing run and at 99¢ an issue you can't go wrong.

& I'm not just saying that because I work @CMX.

Cade

I really liked it. It fleshed out the Winter Soldier character even further and has some fun stuff in it. If you liked his Captain America it's in the same vein.

ReAxion

I jumped back into Spider-man at Big Time and went all the way to Superior. I'd say Big Time and Spider-Island are the high points before Dying Wish.

Do you ever think about endings for your favorite superhero characters? Not that you don't like future installments, but you feel that THIS particular issue is pretty "the end" for this character, and you don't need to see them through anymore deaths or tragedies or status quo changes? Not a canonical ending, but a head-canon ending if you will.

Like, I get to the last page of Born Again with Matt and Karen gone through the darkest hour of their lives and come out shining, wonderfully illustrated as always by David Mazzucchelli, and I think, "you're right, this is all I need to know"

Or in what I feel is still Slott's masterpiece, Spider-Man/Human Torch, was a very real and touching story, and by the end, Peter Parker has a real family and friends, Aunt May is so proud of Peter with his friends and his wife and it feels like that terrible chapter after Uncle Ben's death has been closed, and the FF who started off as freaks and mis-fits are now largely accepting and a big happy family, sharing their children with Aunt May, MJ and Susan talking about nothing in particular but human beings getting to know each other.

Like, this is the ending of this story, right? I don't need to see any deals with the devil or Galactus invasions or Green Goblins kidnapping girlfriends or brain swaps or whatever, no. Its over. We really like these characters, don't we want them to be happy?

Or that great last page of Morrison's Animal Man, can't find it at the moment, but did you ever need to see Buddy Baker ever again after that? Not to say Milligan's issues and the current Animal Man stuff weren't worthy stories, but that last page of Animal Man #26 felt like the last page, right?

All star Superman for sure .perfect ending

Peter David's X-factor end on such a good note. I'm glad for all new x-faces but I don't need another Madrox or Layla story

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i feel that way all the time, it's part of the reason i don't continue to read some characters after i find the best stories for them. probably why my comic book reading as been so low this last year or so.

Do you ever think about endings for your favorite superhero characters? Not that you don't like future installments, but you feel that THIS particular issue is pretty "the end" for this character, and you don't need to see them through anymore deaths or tragedies or status quo changes? Not a canonical ending, but a head-canon ending if you will.

Endings aren't what I come to comics for; Oh sure, I've read and enjoyed self contained stories that did have definitive endings and some of them have been amongst my favorite stories, but when it comes to Super Heroes, I want timeless tales. I want stories of bravery and heroism, of tragedy and despair, of Good vs. Evil and the never ending struggle. Endings also seem inappropriate for the vast majority of characters. They'd "end" when they are dead or their purpose is complete and how often does that happen?

BUT.

I suppose the one ending that comes the closest is Kingdom Come: Old Superman, standing in the crowd of the 31st Century, watching (himself as Superboy) and the Legion flying over heard. The cycle is complete and the new heroes have risen to take the place of the old and carry on the torch that Superman represented, with youthful enthusiasm.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Or that great last page of Morrison's Animal Man, can't find it at the moment, but did you ever need to see Buddy Baker ever again after that? Not to say Milligan's issues and the current Animal Man stuff weren't worthy stories, but that last page of Animal Man #26 felt like the last page, right?

Speaking of, that last issue of the current Animal Man, which is basically a series summary and then a Goodnight, Moon goodbye-type story genuinely feels like an ending for that version of the Bakers. It encapsulates the essential flow of the series: family -> loss -> survival of the family; brings back the writer artist/team who started the run off; and gives Buddy the closure necessary for readers to know that he'll be all right, despite the heavy losses that his family has endured.

The run is super flawed, but when you see Buddy say goodnight
to Cliff via Anansi's spiders
and you think back to that second annual issue, and you get that metatextual title from the writer speaking back to the Buddy, you can't help but feel some warmth and light emanating as the door closes on Lemire and Foreman's Animal Man.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
One of the secrets to breaking into comics, at least according to Marvel Comics editors and creators, is to be cool on the Internet.

That's not just "be cool" as in "be really good at comics craftmanship," although that's also a prerequisite. It's "be cool" as in "Don't come off like a jerk," "Don't ignore your online presence" and "Show support for your comics peers."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=51825

tim1138

Just a heads up, all of Batman the Brave and the Bold, Green Lantern the Animated Series, and the first season of Young Justice are now streaming on Netflix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom