• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mudcrab

Poodlestrike and the other 2 dudes who are into turn based strategy and mechs get in here.

One more goddamn day.

brluhvu.jpg

Really though how has the event been? Keep in mind I paused my Valaint reading after Harbinger Wars and Bloodshot Reborn many months ago.

And that's why he ends up angry and in space? That's...probably about as reasonable as most of the rest of the stuff around him.

And fair enough. "Whatever Happened to the Harbingers of Tomorrow?" certainly has a lot of potential to be very interesting from what we've seen.

At least the in space part. Venditti said he's going to have a different take on Gilad, where he's bound by duty to the Earth; "Eternal Optimist" is the exact term he used. I'm not sure what to take away with that, but Gilad is certainly good at fighting on human terms; part of the catch of the new series is how he fairs in an unknown environment. So, we shall see how that turns out.

As for Fall of Harbinger, what I've gleaned from the preview is that
the Renegades are dead, except for Peter, and it's the final reckoning between him and Harada.

Fun fact, in old Valiant universe, I believe it was Peter who went into space and later returned under a new alias, The Visitor; there seems to have been a reversal in the premise here.

Really though how has the event been? Keep in mind I paused my Valaint reading after Harbinger Wars and Bloodshot Reborn many months ago.

Keeping in mind it's a de facto sequel to The Valiant (the last mini-event), it's pretty exceptional. It's been a bit of a slow burner, much smaller in scale than Harbinger Wars or Armor Hunters, but the next issue is pointing to be a satisfying conclusion. The tie-ins have been very good, as well, but they're one-shots and I'm not sure how to take them in the general scheme of things. It's hard to say how beholden they'll be to the "Fall of" stories going forward. Still, while being totally unnecessary, they have been good reads and Harbinger is the one I've been looking forward to the most.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
My copy of Godzilla 24 arrived o/ The issue, were Godzilla fights the Avengers and the Fantastic Four.
And again a cheap buy from a guy, who didnt know what a treasure he had.

I wouldn't even call it an event as much as a miniseries. The three issues of the mini have been nice enough so far. Sort of a "What if Gilad wasn't a complete scrub while at the same time showing what a complete scrub he is". Whereas the two released "The Fall of" tie-ins are really closer to standard "How do things finally end for hero X?" things.

I wouldn't even call it an event as much as a miniseries. The three issues of the mini have been nice enough so far. Sort of a "What if Gilad wasn't a complete scrub while at the same time showing what a complete scrub he is". Whereas the two released "The Fall of" tie-ins are really closer to standard "How do things finally end for hero X?" things.

I prefer the term "redemption", but hey, whatever works.

Keeping in mind it's a de facto sequel to The Valiant (the last mini-event), it's pretty exceptional. It's been a bit of a slow burner, much smaller in scale than Harbinger Wars or Armor Hunters, but the next issue is pointing to be a satisfying conclusion. The tie-ins have been very good, as well, but they're one-shots and I'm not sure how to take them in the general scheme of things. It's hard to say how beholden they'll be to the "Fall of" stories going forward. Still, while being totally unnecessary, they have been good reads and Harbinger is the one I've been looking forward to the most.

The future stuff for the current Valiant universe somewhat confused to start with. The Eternal Warrior solo series basically made no sense within the rest of the universe in either the more contemporary first arc or 4001 A.D. second arc. And, as I said, I see these closer to being "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" like stories until something clearly indicates otherwise.

I prefer the term "redemption", but hey, whatever works.

I don't think he has redeemed himself quite yet. He's just on a potential path to redemption.

The future stuff for the current Valiant universe somewhat confused to start with. The Eternal Warrior solo series basically made no sense within the rest of the universe in either the more contemporary first arc or 4001 A.D. second arc. And, as I said, I see these closer to being "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" like stories until something clearly indicates otherwise.

Some of those pieces, like Eternal Warrior, you have to jigger a bit mentally to have them fit into continuity. The writers don't stay beholden to one another's constraints too often. Honestly, I don't know when the contemporary arc of the first EW series and couldn't really care because I'm not a fan of that series, but at least the Eternal Emperor stuff is not hard to tell. We know from Rai that Earth is mostly decimated, but Earth is pretty big; it's not hard to believe that those pieces from Pak's run fit in.

Besides which, we know from Rai #10 that
Gilad is alive and Rai is searching for his assistance.

My main hang-up with the Fall of one-shots is that, I would mostly be inclined to agree with you; but, Valiant likes to push the envelope and they don't have a problem with committing to crazy ideas. You've got these one-shots showing the deaths of big heroes; during Book of Death, a good chunk of these heroes are missing from the big foretold fight with Darque; and all of these are being written by the main writers of their respective series. So, I know it feels like they're just what-ifs, but I think there may end up being more to it that. However, this remains to be seen, so for now, I'll defer to your philosophy.

I don't think he has redeemed himself quite yet. He's just on a potential path to redemption.

Right. He's working on it.

lol

Honestly though, Gilad is a real fuck up, but I think Ninjak wins out. He goes from winning to losing on the same damn page like its nothing.

VanWinkle

I'm so sad. :(

I got my tablet in the mail today, and it kept rebooting when I turned it on, which worried me. I decided to check to see if there was a system update and there was. So it downloaded, and installed perfectly fine. It rebooted and got frozen on the lock screen. I tried to manually reboot it, and it turned off...and now, it refuses to turn on. Just doesn't work at all.

:( I didn't even get to try a comic on it. I'm returning it and buying another, but it just stinks.

Messi

Serious question. What's the appeal of that series?

I'm kind of... I wouldn't say turned-off, but my eyebrows are raised, by the art.

It's a fun comic with manga style art. That's the appeal.

I generally don't hold a books art against it when judging a book.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I'm so sad. :(

I got my tablet in the mail today, and it kept rebooting when I turned it on, which worried me. I decided to check to see if there was a system update and there was. So it downloaded, and installed perfectly fine. It rebooted and got frozen on the lock screen. I tried to manually reboot it, and it turned off...and now, it refuses to turn on. Just doesn't work at all.

:( I didn't even get to try a comic on it. I'm returning it and buying another, but it just stinks.
iPad?

Some of those pieces, like Eternal Warrior, you have to jigger a bit mentally to have them fit into continuity. The writers don't stay beholden to one another's constraints too often. Honestly, I don't know when the contemporary arc of the first EW series and couldn't really care because I'm not a fan of that series, but at least the Eternal Emperor stuff is not hard to tell. We know from Rai that Earth is mostly decimated, but Earth is pretty big; it's not hard to believe that those pieces from Pak's run fit in.

Besides which, we know from Rai #10 that
Gilad is alive and Rai is searching for his assistance.

There really isn't any time frame that the contemporary arc can fit. Since the current Geomancer was alive during the American Civil War we know it had to be before Kay but Gilad has already long turned his back to the Earth itself and has even done so violently be the end, This string is continued in the Eternal Emperor issues, although you can at least argue that such a change could occur after Book of Death in that case, especially since overall it feels somewhat distinct from the first arc.

My main hang-up with the Fall of one-shots is that, I would mostly be inclined to agree with you; but, Valiant likes to push the envelope and they don't have a problem with committing to crazy ideas. You've got these one-shots showing the deaths of big heroes; during Book of Death, a good chunk of these heroes are missing from the big foretold fight with Darque; and all of these are being written by the main writers of their respective series. So, I know it feels like they're just what-ifs, but I think there may end up being more to it that. However, this remains to be seen, so for now, I'll defer to your philosophy.

Oh, it's entirely possible those are the "true futures". The two released have been quite far into the future and Harbinger doesn't seem like it will be any different. Ninjak's clearly fits leading into Rai and Bloodshot's can fairly easily fit into all sorts of possible futures. I just assume that nothing is locked into place until it happens (and probably not even then).

VanWinkle

No, Galaxy Tab S 8.4. I may have made a mistake buying it used, but it was from Amazon Warehouse Deals and in Very Good condition. It basically looked new, but buying used is always a risk.

Actually, weirdly enough, years ago when I bought a brand new iPad mini, it did the exact same thing. I returned it for a new one and it was fine, but very odd now that I think about it.

Serious question. What's the appeal of that series?

I'm kind of... I wouldn't say turned-off, but my eyebrows are raised, by the art.

It's good fun with well developed characters and relationships that feel natural and fun and sexy (without feeling lurid) and touching (without feeling corny).

There really isn't any time frame that the contemporary arc can fit. Since the current Geomancer was alive during the American Civil War we know it had to be before Kay but Gilad has already long turned his back to the Earth itself and has even done so violently be the end, This string is continued in the Eternal Emperor issues, although you can at least argue that such a change could occur after Book of Death in that case, especially since overall it feels somewhat distinct from the first arc.

Actually, as I recall now, Kay's grandfather was the Geomancer during that mini, so it had to have happened some 60+ years before the present. The main conflict then is that Gilad was slumming it with WW2 Unity around that time, but there's a possibility that it could have happened before that.

Here's also the other thing to take into consideration: future Gilad may have broken time by sending Tama back to the present, so the Eternal Emperor stuff may be a different timeline. Maybe this was a planned event in time to get to the events of Eternal Emperor, but it's hard to tell.

Oh, it's entirely possible those are the "true futures". The two released have been quite far into the future and Harbinger doesn't seem like it will be any different. Ninjak's clearly fits leading into Rai and Bloodshot's can fairly easily fit into all sorts of possible futures. I just assume that nothing is locked into place until it happens (and probably not even then).

Ok, I'm down with that explanation.

MG310

Guessing he's just saying that the new Silver Surfer volume will start in March on the 50th anniversary of his debut.

Owzers

Southern Bastards OHC is on IST new release discount. I bought the first trade and liked it but don't like the book enough to want OHCs for the entire run....but i want to read more, same with Rat Queens. What to do....

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So I got a FCBD copy of Bongo Comics and there was a comic included with anime styled, realistic Simpson characters and I camt understand how this ahould appeal to anyone. I mean, this was so utterly different to what Simpsons usually looks like o_O

Owzers

Hmm maybe the universe is trying to tell you something.

i'm already voting for Trump so he'll Make American Libraries Great Again. I search Authors for Warren Ellis and my library network has Astonishing X-Men Ghost Box and a random Ultimate Fantastic Four volume, it's like places don't feel shame anymore.

i put in a request for Absolute Transmetropolitan. Go big or read manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom