• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Agents of SHIELD ended as well...fuck spoilers.

Ward double crosses SHIELD because duh after disarming his neck bomb
Agent Hill lets Coulson join back SHIELD
Phil got shot by Fitz
Fitz was actually a triple agent
Jemma who got some virus from the start is series is cured but is now a Deathlok
Quake is in it and wasted

Some other things happen but I just gave up, I dunno what happened in the last issue but who cares, this book was trash, Waid did the TV team justice...this shit can burn.

Shot dead? Or just winged?

GZNj7Fw.jpg

Haha, whats this from?

Owzers

Channel Zero on sci-fi is a little iffy plot wise but also prettttttty good and you should watch it, reminds me of a better Stephen king movie, better acting for sure.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Shut up winkle, you're ugly and puppies dont like you.

I wish I was 29. Im old goddamn it!

Thanks bro. :) 29 today.

Happy birthday dude. Extra special jealous of that Iron Fist collection, really great stuff, you will love it. Top tier marvel right there. Also fucking lol the xbox one, yup it's huuuuge. At least it's quiet.

Thor: God of Thunder - Vol. 1: The God Butcher
[5/5]: Wow. I really liked the way Aaron weaved the three different perspectives to tell the story. And what an interesting story to start the run off with as well. Even if the concept feels like it's been used a ton of times before, its still such a refreshing take on it. Fantastic art as well. I have some concerns about how the larger arc might play out (general tropeyness of it) but I'll wait and see how it plays out first.

Hahah I love young Thor who hasn't quite learned his lessons yet. Wait til you read the next one, the whole thing together is really great. There's a few bits of strange logic to facilitate the tale but it's amazing.

Dalek

Can you believe an artist turned in that work for the Punisher Halloween special and Marvel actually paid them for it?

Channel Zero on sci-fi is a little iffy plot wise but also prettttttty good and you should watch it, reminds me of a better Stephen king movie, better acting for sure.

Did you mean the SyFy network hahahahahahaha

But yeah, I completely forgot about that show. Will check it out.

Ugh, I was going to buy some trades before I go on comic buying hiatus until christmas, but Titanfall 2 is calling me from out of the dark. What to do...

Also this is awesome, by Jason Howard, artist of Trees & Super Dinosaur

Finally found time to start the 4th Goon library edition. Got about 100 pages in on my first sitting. God damn that Buzzard story was deep. Hit me right in the feels.

Black Panther #7

This was a pretty good issue. Opened with a fun action sequence, with some well written chemistry between the Crew members. Felt a little tough to follow at points, with some of the panel flow being a little rough. Made me wonder how
Telford Porter AKA Vanisher is still alive considering how hard he was murdered during Second Coming
. Also, who is
Kwabena? Was it his actual son? A ghost?
I know this makes me sound dumb, but I'm a bit confused due to how that scene was presented.

On the other hand we have some nice political philosphiy debate, but yet again the whole
Shuri afterlife dreamscape
plot thread is really rough for me to follow. Maybe I'm just dumb, but I have no idea what I'm supposed to be taking from that.

Overall another strong issue, if a bit lighter than it's predecessors. Also the lack of Stelfreeze on interiors wounds me.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Black Panther #7

This was a pretty good issue. Opened with a fun action sequence, with some well written chemistry between the Crew members. Felt a little tough to follow at points, with some of the panel flow being a little rough. Made me wonder how
Telford Porter AKA Vanisher is still alive considering how hard he was murdered during Second Coming
. Also, who is
Kwabena? Was it his actual son? A ghost?
I know this makes me sound dumb, but I'm a bit confused due to how that scene was presented.

On the other hand we have some nice political philosphiy debate, but yet again the whole
Shuri afterlife dreamscape
plot thread is really rough for me to follow. Maybe I'm just dumb, but I have no idea what I'm supposed to be taking from that.

Overall another strong issue, if a bit lighter than it's predecessors. Also the lack of Stelfreeze on interiors wounds me.

Good write-up. Though, I hated the beginning... seemed somewhat out of place for Coates. Anyway, about the spoiler:
I think Shuri is being instructed in/exposed to Wakandian cultural memory, which is going to ground her emotionally and spiritually to Wakanda and allow her to see the way forward by experiencing or reconnecting to her collective past. Tradition influencing the future...
Just my two cents.

Happy, Happy VanWinkle!

Playtest episode of Black Mirror has me completely reeling. Way too damn close to home. Amazing episode.

Detective Comics

This book stays winning. Victim Syndicate is pretty creepy and I like the idea of Fox possibly joining the team. Also, Harper!

Teen Titans

Good issue but I feel like this and the Rebirth issue could have been combined for one issue. Also, I really like the art in this issue.

Sixpack and Dogwelder

Was an ok issue. Not as many laughs as the last couple issues, but still a lot of crazy fun. This version of Constantine is great though.

I read the first 6 issues of Mockingbird by Cain and it's pretty good. I liked the idea of the puzzle-like story (basically you can read the first five issues in any order and built the story, like a puzzle). Also, it has humor. One moment that left me with a great impression was (Mockingbird issue #3)
Bobbi's memories of growing up and wanting to be a superhero, which end by her saying you don't need to be a male to be a hero, you just need to have balls.

I want to ask you guys something. Are there any comic books that show the everyday lives of superheroes (or parts of it)? Like Matt Fraction's Hawkeye.

Mindwipe

I read the first 6 issues of Mockingbird by Cain and it's pretty good. I liked the idea of the puzzle-like story (basically you can read the first five issues in any order and built the story, like a puzzle). Also, it has humor. One moment that left me with a great impression was (Mockingbird issue #3)
Bobbi's memories of growing up and wanting to be a superhero, which end by her saying you don't need to be a male to be a hero, you just need to have balls.

I want to ask you guys something. Are there any comic books that show the everyday lives of superheroes (or parts of it)? Like Matt Fraction's Hawkeye.

Invincible has a lot of that.

tim1138

Well, technically not my birthday for another half hour or so, but I got my gifts from my wife today because of scheduling tomorrow. I'm pumped! Some awesome stuff.

The comics I got:
QgE0xxX.jpg

All stuff I'm excited for and have been wanting to read!

My main gift was this guitar (along with custom-embroidered guitar strap). I've played drums for about 10 years now, but I've always wanted to learn to play guitar. My family is very musically-inclined, but right-handed guitars have never felt natural to me as a leftie. So my wife bought me a leftie guitar and I'm so excited!

The strap she made for me is so cool, too.
PUG2h30.jpg

Also, I rearranged my bookshelves in my home office and made one double as a TV stand. Unfortunately I can't center the TV because the XB1 is so huge. :(
LvuvZNi.jpg

Happy birthday man. Is that a Squier (it's hard to make it out on my phone)? I've always liked how Fender's look with the sunburst finish.

TheFlow

Banned

like current books?green arrow, new superman, superman, super-girl.

Raven for sure.

Image wise:
invincible is the king at it

Marvel wise:
spider-man miles morale

nova

shingi70

Banned

Spider-man loves Mary Jane, any Spider-man book really.

April ain't quick lol. That's 6 months from now. That's 8 months after Vol 1.
That's what I mean. Trying to take advantage of a current event doesn't work when it's that far ahead. Would work way better to do a Mockingbird sale on CMX and have all their accounts, writers, artists etc retweet it.

VanWinkle

Happy birthday dude. Extra special jealous of that Iron Fist collection, really great stuff, you will love it. Top tier marvel right there. Also fucking lol the xbox one, yup it's huuuuge. At least it's quiet.

Happy birthday VanWinkle!

Good write-up. Though, I hated the beginning... seemed somewhat out of place for Coates. Anyway, about the spoiler:
I think Shuri is being instructed in/exposed to Wakandian cultural memory, which is going to ground her emotionally and spiritually to Wakanda and allow her to see the way forward by experiencing or reconnecting to her collective past. Tradition influencing the future...
Just my two cents.

Happy, Happy VanWinkle!

Happy birthday man. Is that a Squier (it's hard to make it out on my phone)? I've always liked how Fender's look with the sunburst finish.

Thanks so much guys! Tim, yeah, it's a Squier Strat. And i love the sunburst on there too.

Finally found time to start the 4th Goon library edition. Got about 100 pages in on my first sitting. God damn that Buzzard story was deep. Hit me right in the feels.

Awesome!

Messi

That's what I mean. Trying to take advantage of a current event doesn't work when it's that far ahead. Would work way better to do a Mockingbird sale on CMX and have all their accounts, writers, artists etc retweet it.

I think that would look bad for them. They have to be careful not to look like they are trying to profit off what happened.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member

Shit, that sounds great. Putting on wishlist now.

Thanks man!

Hahaha, I could see it either way!

Lol you got any plans for your dinner or anything or do you like to stay in?

I'm going out on the dram for a friend's birthday in a few hours, and it involves a house party at the end, so I may as well hand out my final farewells, aint no coming back for me.

VanWinkle

Lol you got any plans for your dinner or anything or do you like to stay in?

I'm going out on the dram for a friend's birthday in a few hours, and it involves a house party at the end, so I may as well hand out my final farewells, aint no coming back for me.

lol, well I work until 9:30pm unfortunately. I am more of a stay-home kind of guy though, so my wife is going to make us a very late dinner I think.

Top Bottom