• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ComicsGAF Book Club #1 | Strangers in Paradise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice! I'm pretty much the only one who's actually on the official schedule right now, so you're all good. Feel free to talk about whatever you're currently reading and I'm sure everyone who's already read it will be happy to talk about it!
Well, I'm up to about #22 or so now (David's just learnt of his inheritance), so I'm making good progress, and can catch up with the thread soon. :)

I won't go into large detail, as so much has been said in the thread already, but here are a few random thoughts:

Molly and Poo
Can't say I really enjoyed Molly and Poo. It wasn't bad, but it broke the flow for me and I was quite glad to get back to the regular stuff. I found it a bit hard to follow (with various versions of Molly, time jumps etc), but it was certainly interesting and the twist at the end almost made me want to re-read it (almost).

The Darcy/Big 6 storyline.
Hmm. I have mixed feelings about this stuff. I can appreciate the need for some mystery, tension, and conflict, but honestly that is not really what I enjoy about SiP. As so many have said, it is the grounded relationships, and there is enough conflict in the Katchoo/Francine/David relationships to keep things interesting on their own. When it starts going into conspiracies to control the White House etc it really starts to lose me. I feel I can get that from so many other comics, I don't need it here. I love SiP because it's different, but these storylines feel a little worn out.

I was (pleasantly) surprised to see how quickly it wrapped up. Chuck makes a phone call, then BAM, everything is exposed and resolved. Felt rushed.

High School
Wonderful, funny, beautiful. Loved it. Everything about it. The scene with Katchoo and her mother outside the Police Station was heartbreaking. Katchoo is saying it, plain as day, and her mother is just ignoring it completely. She might as well have her fingers in her ears singing "LA LA LA LA". Seeing the way everyone around Francine treats her (except for her mother, actually) was also quite sad. Her teachers are all horrible, and Freddie has always been pathetic ha ha!

Flash forwards
This is, again, the heart of what I love about SiP. Seeing the disintegration of Katchoo and Francine's relationship, seeing the aftermath 10 years later, seeing how all the pieces over the years fit together. Just fantastic. That scene with Katchoo baking with Francine's daughter and mother had me blinking back tears on the train ha ha! Interested to see what happened to David (what Katchoo was hinting at), but a bit disappointed at the reappearance of Tambi/Bambi (which one is it?) and the Big 6 stuff. So unnecessary IMO, but we'll see where it goes.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Vol 3, #57-59.

Wow wow wow. Those were some really good issues. So good.

- Francine's miscarriage. Damn. That hit hard.

- The Tambi/Cherry/that sniper girl whose name I can't remember stuff is just great. I love Tambi as the loving but vengeful organized crime boss. Ever since she was revealed as Katchoo's sister (and also her visit to Hawaii), she's been one of my favorite characters.

- The Casey/Katchoo relationship is really entertaining. So many incredibly well-written moments. It's such an impractical relationship, but you can still completely understand why it happened and why it kinda works. Great stuff.

Hahaha. She was super-rough with him. I was surprised she even went along with his offer at all.

Yeah, I thought it was funny that she was skeptical at first, but then she figured, "Why not have fun with it?" and decided to go all out. Haha

Kipp

Well, I'm up to about #22 or so now (David's just learnt of his inheritance), so I'm making good progress, and can catch up with the thread soon. :)

I won't go into large detail, as so much has been said in the thread already, but here are a few random thoughts:

Molly and Poo
Can't say I really enjoyed Molly and Poo. It wasn't bad, but it broke the flow for me and I was quite glad to get back to the regular stuff. I found it a bit hard to follow (with various versions of Molly, time jumps etc), but it was certainly interesting and the twist at the end almost made me want to re-read it (almost).

The Darcy/Big 6 storyline.
Hmm. I have mixed feelings about this stuff. I can appreciate the need for some mystery, tension, and conflict, but honestly that is not really what I enjoy about SiP. As so many have said, it is the grounded relationships, and there is enough conflict in the Katchoo/Francine/David relationships to keep things interesting on their own. When it starts going into conspiracies to control the White House etc it really starts to lose me. I feel I can get that from so many other comics, I don't need it here. I love SiP because it's different, but these storylines feel a little worn out.

I was (pleasantly) surprised to see how quickly it wrapped up. Chuck makes a phone call, then BAM, everything is exposed and resolved. Felt rushed.

High School
Wonderful, funny, beautiful. Loved it. Everything about it. The scene with Katchoo and her mother outside the Police Station was heartbreaking. Katchoo is saying it, plain as day, and her mother is just ignoring it completely. She might as well have her fingers in her ears singing "LA LA LA LA". Seeing the way everyone around Francine treats her (except for her mother, actually) was also quite sad. Her teachers are all horrible, and Freddie has always been pathetic ha ha!

Flash forwards
This is, again, the heart of what I love about SiP. Seeing the disintegration of Katchoo and Francine's relationship, seeing the aftermath 10 years later, seeing how all the pieces over the years fit together. Just fantastic. That scene with Katchoo baking with Francine's daughter and mother had me blinking back tears on the train ha ha! Interested to see what happened to David (what Katchoo was hinting at), but a bit disappointed at the reappearance of Tambi/Bambi (which one is it?) and the Big 6 stuff. So unnecessary IMO, but we'll see where it goes.

Regarding Molly and Poo: I'm assuming you're reading either digitally or via the smaller volumes, because I'm fairly sure the omnibus didn't have the Molly and Poo issue yet. They may have stuck it at the end since according to my quick google searching it was kind of a standalone one-shot. I'm pretty pleased that it was taken out of the original order if you thought it messed up the flow.

Darcy/Big Six Storyline: I completely agree on both points. I thought that story was just fine, but like you said, it's definitely not what makes SiP special and it definitely doesn't make use of Moore's talents even half as much as the more slice-of-life stuff. And the wrap-up was incredibly sudden. I sort of liked that though. I'm not sure if I liked it because it was surprising in its abruptness or if I liked it because it meant the story could get back to the slice-of-life stuff sooner than I'd anticipated. Haha

High School: Again, totally agree on everything you said. Great storyline with some really powerful moments. A lot of the Katchoo moments in that arc were total gut punches.

Flash Forwards: That Katchoo baking with Francine's daughter scene was so sweet. Really memorable.
I'm really looking forward to seeing how the present and future end up connecting (if that makes sense). The flash forwards really added another dimension to the story, because it adds the whole "But what led to this and that happening!? How could that have turned into that?" and then watching as it all plays out in the "present" storyline and things start to come together. Although there are still a ton of mysteries on how things end up the way they are in the "future" storyline.

She's a character that reminds me a lot of Harley. Does anyone else see this?

She's an interesting character. When she's first introduced, she just seems like Freddie's airhead girlfriend that he's using to try to get over Francine - she seems like she'll be a supporting character at most. But then when the story takes a more serious tone, you see that she's a very genuine and loveable character.

WHERE IS EVERYONE?

I just got to the part where
David, Casey, and Katchoo end up living as a threesome to try and get Katchoo pregnant.

So many feels in this book. I don't think I'll ever read another series as great as this.

I'm still catching up - I just got up to #42 last night, so I've still got a bit to go.

I might post some impressions later on today if I get a chance, although it's going to be a bit out of date for most of you!
Do it. I like reading impressions. I'm a bit behind. About to read the David backstory 3 parter

I'm pretty much caught up, HURRAH! Up to #59 now. It's been a bit of a whirlwind actually, reading about 60 issues in the past 5 days or so. I can't believe I read it that quickly, but that's what my post from 5 days ago seems to indicate.

So much has happened that I don't know where to start, so I'll just reel off some random thoughts:

* Enjoyed the conspiracy/action plot much more once Veronica took a central role. She was such a dastardly villain, and I think it was the first time I was genuinely worried about our central 3. Even though things got serious with Darcy, I always assumed it would work out fine, but not with Veronica.

* The plane crash aftermath was brutal. That one page about the little girl who "took 12 years to die" just killed me. I have young kids, so pretty much anything like this is a shortcut to heartache for me. Didn't feel cheap though (unlike some other media involving little kids), still very well done.

* Oh man, I loved the alternate reality stuff when Francine was imagining the potential paths of her life. I really thought it was a reset for a while there (and maybe it still is, who knows). Is Francine's little girl from earlier in the series (when cooking with Katchoo) called Ashley? I remember there was a scene where Katchoo was ranting about Francine's "married with children" fantasy and she mentioned Ashley as a typical suburban name that Francine's kids would have. If that's the case, maybe the Ashley in the future really is a figment of Francine's imagination, and the "cooking with Katchoo" scene is what really happens, and we're now just working our way up to that point again. I don't know, and I love that I don't know.

* There's been a lot of contrived "soap opera" timing and coincidences lately. Francine decides to finally commit to Katchoo on the same night that Katchoo stays over at Casey's place. Francine walks in on them the next morning and assumes the worst, and afterwards - at her most hurt and vulnerable - *literally* runs into Griffin and goes back Brad. Francine calls Katchoo the one time she leaves her phone at home, which leads to Casey listening and deleting the message. THEY'RE ALWAYS SO CLOSE. It's frustrating, and Terry Moore bloody knows it. When possible-future Ashley is discussing her book with the editor, the editor keeps bringing up all the reader's potential complaints, which is one of the biggest "wink to audience" moments that I can remember in comics. I'm not really complaining though. I know these complications happen in life, but Moore really does love tangling all these lives together, and having them intersect at the most convenient/inconvenient moments.

* Francine's miscarriage. Oh man. That page with all the little panels of her unborn son's childhood mixed in with the panels of her crying/screaming/stunned just... So heartbreaking, and so well done. The amount of emotion conveyed simply on that one page with almost no text... it's quite astounding. Moore is just fantastic.

* The Freddy issue. I love that I am constantly flip-flopping between pity and disdain for Freddy Femur. Freddy will act like a complete ass (stealing the Francine paintings etc), but then I'll feel sorry for him when he comes home to an empty apartment. Even Freddy, who is basically a joke character, is nuanced.

* I enjoy the little nods to other comics - Schultz, Watterson, Crumb. Nice little homages, and the art style always mimicked very well.

Kipp

So I'm officially just going at my own pace now (and enjoying it quite a bit more that way; mostly because I don't have to keep a constant eye out for when the issues are ending).

But anyways, I just finished the Las Vegas arc and it was just excellent all around. One of my favorites yet.

So I'm officially just going at my own pace now (and enjoying it quite a bit more that way; mostly because I don't have to keep a constant eye out for when the issues are ending).

But anyways, I just finished the Las Vegas arc and it was just excellent all around. One of my favorites yet.
Im still at #61. Work has halted my progress. What issue should I be to follow the schedule? kipp you haven't updated the OP!

FINISHED.

Comics are now ruined, as I'll never read anything this good ever again. The ending was bittersweet, but perfect.

Read SiP Kids! I'm through the #76 so i'm finished with the Las Vegas Arc. Its really impressive to how all the characters have changed over the years. They're still them, but they're more calm, more mature, the sense of age is showing in their actions and reactions. You get a real sense that things are heading towards the end.

A cross post but figured it should be placed here as well

Finished my SiP run. Man even knowing where the story was going the ending was still very powerful for me. Amazing series. Even better than I remember it. Thanks to comic-Gaf for setting up a reading group that gave me the motivation to reread it again.

Now everyone else hurry up and finish it so we can talk about it!

That's enough reading for one day. This series and characters are going to stay with me for a while

Finished it this morning. I have to take a break from other comics now, as everything else I was in the middle of reading, or planning to read, looks super lame in comparison.

I actually can't wait to re-read it. I think I'll take a few months, maybe a year, then do it again. Just a fantastic series, with unparalleled quality and re-readability.

So, are we waiting for anyone else to finish reading it? Kipp, you done yet?

FINISHED.

Comics are now ruined, as I'll never read anything this good ever again. The ending was bittersweet, but perfect.
Pretty much this.

Kipp

Wow wow wow. Just finished. That ending was perfect. I got shivers.
The ending completely took me by surprise, too, since there are still 100-200 pages left in the omnibus with a bunch of bonus stuff. I had no idea the story was about to end and then I saw "The End" (although tonally it all seemed very finale-ish, so it's not like the ending was abrupt even though I was surprised that it ended). That was pretty cool, actually, to not know when the ending was coming even though I was reading the collected edition.
Anyways, that could not have been a more perfect, satisfying ending. The whole time those last few issues I was just waiting for everything to fall apart like it had so many times before, but it didn't and it was glorious. I also thought for sure that Katchoo wasn't going to take Francine back, so when Katchoo finally gave in, the relief was immense. All that time, waiting for it to happen, and it FINALLY HAPPENED. But to be honest, it wasn't that much relief since like I said, I was still worried it would all fall apart again somehow. Haha
Regardless, as I already said, the ending was just perfect. Once they both found out they were having babies and each were ecstatic about the idea, I knew it was a happily-ever-after ending and that felt so good.

Also, that Casey/Tambi relationship that popped up in the last couple issues was absolutely amazing. Just hilarious.

Anyways, not sure whether or not I'm gonna read the bonus stuff next or read some other comics first then get back to it later.

All in all, what a journey that was. So many ups and downs. SO much happened over those 2200ish pages. I feel like I know all those characters so intimately. What an amazing comic.

Wow wow wow. Just finished. That ending was perfect. I got shivers.
The ending completely took me by surprise, too, since there are still 100-200 pages left in the omnibus with a bunch of bonus stuff. I had no idea the story was about to end and then I saw "The End" (although tonally it all seemed very finale-ish, so it's not like the ending was abrupt even though I was surprised that it ended). That was pretty cool, actually, to not know when the ending was coming even though I was reading the collected edition.
Anyways, that could not have been a more perfect, satisfying ending. The whole time those last few issues I was just waiting for everything to fall apart like it had so many times before, but it didn't and it was glorious. I also thought for sure that Katchoo wasn't going to take Francine back, so when Katchoo finally gave in, the relief was immense. All that time, waiting for it to happen, and it FINALLY HAPPENED. But to be honest, it wasn't that much relief since like I said, I was still worried it would all fall apart again somehow. Haha
Regardless, as I already said, the ending was just perfect. Once they both found out they were having babies and each were ecstatic about the idea, I knew it was a happily-ever-after ending and that felt so good.

Also, that Casey/Tambi relationship that popped up in the last couple issues was absolutely amazing. Just hilarious.

Anyways, not sure whether or not I'm gonna read the bonus stuff next or read some other comics first then get back to it later.

All in all, what a journey that was. So many ups and downs. SO much happened over those 2200ish pages. I feel like I know all those characters so intimately. What an amazing comic.

Even on reread the events of
the death of david. Hit me so hard. A real misty eye moment and executed perfectly.
really powerful stuff.

So is the book club Over? Can we do full series post Mortums?

Even on reread the events of
the death of david. Hit me so hard. A real misty eye moment and executed perfectly.
really powerful stuff.

That was like, the worst part. I took a few days off from reading after that one.
Just seeing poor Katchoo lose it in the hallway after he died
... :(

Messi

Thought you guys might like this. Shows just how much Strangers meant to me.

I got an original art page. It is one of those pieces I never thought I would get to own. I am absolutely in love with it. Its a page of Katchoo and Francine from Strangers in Paradise #51

CF8L2JlWYAADtso.jpg

I was emailing back and forth with Terry's wife (I believe) about wether or not he does sketches outside of commissions that I would love to own a sketch of Katchoo someday and I got no response about it. When the page arrived this was inside.

CF8MD16XIAAz2Po.jpg

It made me want to cry. I was so happy.

Kipp

OH MY GOODNESS MESSI. That is the COOLEST.
That page is awesome in itself, but getting a sketch on top of that is just incredible. I'm so happy and excited for you! :D

Also really glad you enjoyed SiP so much! I'm guessing you finished it then?

Messi

OH MY GOODNESS MESSI. That is the COOLEST.
That page is awesome in itself, but getting a sketch on top of that is just incredible. I'm so happy and excited for you! :D

Also really glad you enjoyed SiP so much! I'm guessing you finished it then?

Nearly, I am taking it slowly. to enjoy it and knowing there is no more. :(

Kipp

Nearly, I am taking it slowly. to enjoy it and knowing there is no more. :(

Oh okay, cool. I kinda wish I would've taken it slow, but knowing me, if I did that, I wouldn't have finished it at all. Haha
I'm really glad you're enjoying it! Where are you at right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom