• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Commanding general of D.C. National Guard to be removed from post ON Inauguration Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

WedgeX

Banned
An update from the Washington Post:

Washington Post said:
The transition team for President-elect Donald Trump asked the head of the D.C. National Guard to remain in command throughout Inauguration Day after media reports that he would leave in the middle of the ceremony created controversy, the Guard said.

As is customary for presidential appointees, Schwartz had offered his resignation after Trump was elected. In an interview Friday, Schwartz said he learned he would be replaced on Jan. 20. He said the transition team ultimately asked him to stay in the job for a few additional days, but only after the report of his departure had been published Friday on The Washington Post website.

Schwartz said he turned down the transition team’s offer because, by then, he had begun packing up his office and notified his staff. He said he believes the offer came only as a result of the negative attention his departure attracted.

Blizzard

Banned
Didn't he say he would never abandon his men in the middle of a mission?

The whole thing is a mess and he understandably has every right to reject it, but the "I packed my office" line sounds pretty lame after the earlier "I'll see my men off but not welcome them back".

On the plus side, this points towards typical Trump administration incompetence instead of conspiracy coup attempt.

Didn't he say he would never abandon his men in the middle of a mission?

The whole thing is a mess and he understandably has every right to reject it, but the "I packed my office" line sounds pretty lame after the earlier "I'll see my men off but not welcome them back".

On the plus side, this points towards typical Trump administration incompetence instead of conspiracy coup attempt.

I got the impression from the article that he would now remain in-command through the end of the day to see his men back but not the additional days that were offered.

Blizzard

Banned
I got the impression from the article that he would now remain in-command through the end of the day to see his men back but not the additional days that were offered.
That would be reasonable, but I couldn't find it specifically. I see "Transition officials for the new administration on Friday said the team asked Schwartz to stay on through the inauguration to maintain continuity" but not whether he accepted it.

I guess it just struck me funny that he mentioned welcoming men back, but then there was the packed-up office thing. Was he going to welcome them back in his office?

SpecX

That would be reasonable, but I couldn't find it specifically. I see "Transition officials for the new administration on Friday said the team asked Schwartz to stay on through the inauguration to maintain continuity" but not whether he accepted it.

I guess it just struck me funny that he mentioned welcoming men back, but then there was the packed-up office thing. Was he going to welcome them back in his office?

The middle statement from the quotes says the following:

He said the transition team ultimately asked him to stay in the job for a few additional days, but only after the report of his departure had been published Friday on The Washington Post website.

I think this is what he's rejecting, the extension to stay a few days, not the approval to stay the entire ceremony.

Blizzard

Banned
I hope so.

The article suggests a bunch of internal confusion / conflict / people not knowing how government works, which I guess is to be expected.

jstripes

Banned
Well, their plans to have a violent "left wing" protest during inauguration fell through, so they don't need their own guy to swiftly suppress it anymore...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom