• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Company of Heroes 2 |OT| The Motherland is Calling - [Western Front Armies out now]

Dawg

1fss35.png

us_in_darkest_hours2.png

thegamectuf3.png

PLATFORM: PC
GENRE: Real-time Strategy
DEVELOPER: Relic Entertainment
PUBLISHER: THQ SEGA
PRICE: FORTY-NINE AMERICAN DOLLARS ($79.99 Digital Collector's Edition)
RELEASE DATE: WW - June 25, 2013
GAF GROUP: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GAFCoH2

GAMEPLAY MECHANICS
The game will feature the Soviet Red Army as a new faction and will take the player on various stages of the Eastern Front campaign, from Operation Barbarossa to the Battle of Berlin. The game is built on Relic's proprietary Essence 3.0 engine, which showcases new improvements compared to Relic's previous games. One such improvements is the new line-of-sight technology, TrueSight, which aims to better emulate troop visibility in real combat. In contrast with traditional unit visibility, TrueSight more accurately represents a unit's visibility range based on environmental conditions and type of unit. Essence 3.0 will also incorporate an innovative weather-simulating technology known as ColdTech and destructible environments.

Weather conditions will be a major factor in gameplay, with movement and action penalties applied on players' units. Since many battles in the Eastern Front occurred in winter weather, troops can die of frostbite if caught in the outside during blizzards. Bonfires protect soldiers from the cold at the expense of enemy detection. Players moving through deep snow will move at a reduced speed. Certain maps will have frozen bodies of water, allowing for more movement options. However, players face the danger of being attacked from the other side; as a result, the ice can buckle under the weight of the units in movement.

Company of Heroes 2 will take advantage of DirectX 11 but will also support DirectX 9. The game will also utilize Valve's Steamworks technology with matchmaking and achievements. In regards to strategy mechanics, the game is set to retain the traditional Company of Heroes formula.
The game will also offer the player a chance to complete side missions such as protecting civilians caught in the crossfire.

COLDTECH
ColdTech is the revolutionary new weather technology found in Company of Heroes 2. Bringing the bitter cold Winter weather of the Eastern Front to life in a way never before seen in a strategy game, ColdTech will have players making difficult strategic decisions to keep their troops alive, and to engage the enemy intelligently. ColdTech includes an ‘extreme cold’ mechanic which accurately encapsulates the Soviet winter which reached extremes of -40 degrees F in 1941. At those temperatures human skin will freeze in a matter of minutes, something that is portrayed in the game.

On winter maps, Infantry units exposed to the bitter cold will gradually freeze to death unless the player keeps them warm by building fires and garrisoning them in buildings. Dynamic blizzards will increase the effects of extreme cold making it even more hazardous to leave infantry in the open. The new ColdTech system also allows the Essence Engine to dynamically paint on and remove snow, meaning that not only does it accumulate on buildings and vehicles, but it can also be melted or removed from objects by the player. Snow also has realistic depth which actually impacts troop movement and will retain persistent infantry and vehicle tracks throughout the match unless covered by fresh snow fall.

On top of the innovations in snow technology the engine allows ice to become a weapon in a smart commander’s arsenal. Not only does it have a unique texture, affecting vehicle and troop movement, but it can collapse or be destroyed from underneath troops and vehicles, plunging them into the hypothermic Russian waters. Over time destroyed ice will re-form due to the winter conditions in the game. All of these new innovations feature alongside Company of Heroes 2’s other technological advancements like the TrueSight™ dynamic line-of-sight mechanic to make this a worthy successor to Company of Heroes.

TRUESIGHT
Relic's new TrueSight will change how the 'Fog of War' feature is used in RTS games. No longer will you be able to see everything in an area once your units move in, but you will only be able to see what your soldiers can see. This means that units will be unable to see behind obstacles that would block their vision in the real world such as buildings, trees and walls etc. By using Truesight, the Fog of War and Line of Sight mechanics will be more realistic and fluid and allow players more ways to ambush, flank and defeat their enemies.

MULTIPLAYER
Besides revamping the single player experience, Relic Entertainment is also revisiting the multiplayer aspect of the franchise and making it fresh and exciting by adding new features such as:

• Snow based maps where soldiers need to be constantly kept warm by building fires, vehicles or garrisoning them in buildings, otherwise they die of hypothermia
  • Ribbons and medals to be earned via multiplayer achievements
  • Revised command ability trees
  • Two vastly different sides i.e. the Russians and the Germans that offer hugely different strategic options to the player
  • Introduction of Commander or Hero units

COMMANDER UNITS
In mutiplayer games, players will be able to summon a maximum of three commander or hero units to the battlefield. These commander units grant different abilities once summoned such as powering up the infantry, calling in artillery barrages, boosting your defense with special emplacements and so on.

These units need to be charged before they can be called in to aid in the battle and once land in, they cannot be changed or substituted. Therefore, to take maximum advantage of these super units, players will have to decide which type of commander to call in, depending on the situation the player is in and also on the his/her play style.

pcreqsz8koa.png

Processor: 2Ghz Intel Core2 Duo or equivalent
Memory: 2GB RAM
Graphics: 512MB Direct3D 10 capable video card (GeForce 8800 GT or Radeon HD 2900XT)
DirectX®:
Hard Drive: 30GB free Hard disc space
Internet: Broadband Internet connection

editionsjjp0f.png

Steam Pre-Orders
Standard Edition

• Tier #1 - Team Fortress 2 Item Bundle, Soviet Hat and German Hat, Soviet Badge and German Badge
  • Tier #2 - Dawn of War II Retribution
  • Tier #3 - Company of Heroes 2 Commissar Chest: $5.00 Premium Currency, XP Boost, Unit Boost, Commander Archetype
  • German Rotbraun and Russian Leningrad Pattern Bundle
  • Guaranteed Beta Access

Collector's Edition
Everything in the standard edition plus:

• Company of Heroes Collector's Soviet and German Cap and Badge
  • German Whitewash and Russian Winter Cobblestone Pattern Bundle
  • Veteran Badge
  • Company of Heroes Collector's Pack - Includes the original Company of Heroes and all its expansions
  • Theatre of War Mini-Campaign

Origin Pre-Orders
Standard Edition

• German Rotbraun and Russian Leningrad Pattern Bundle
  • Guaranteed Beta Access
  • Only on Origin Russian Bryansk Front Pattern

Collector's Edition
Everything in the standard edition plus:

• Command Pass
  • Company of Heroes Collector's Pack - Includes the original Company of Heroes and all its expansions
  • Theatre of War Mini-Campaign
  • German Whitewash and Russian Cobblestone Front Pattern
  • Veteran Badge

Retail Pre-Orders
Standard Edition
Amazon.com, Gamestop
  • German Rotbraun and Russian Leningrad vehicle bundle

Best Buy
  • The original Company of Heroes game (with no expansions)
  • Best Buy Exclusive German Disruptive Pattern
  • German Rotbraun and Russian Leningrad vehicle bundle

mediadput7.png

Screenshots

ss1v0qfn.png

ss1s6u8x.png

ss27gurn.png

ss3y8uem.png

ss4lnuou.png

ss5ezu71.png

ss6yduox.png

ss7x0okb.png

QLK6j.png

Company of Heroes 2 GAMEPLAY Demo @ E3 2013
Company Of Heroes 2 Beta: Gameplay (Full)
Company of Heroes 2: Motherland Mini-Series Episode 1 - Nazi Blitzkrieg
Company of Heroes 2: Motherland Mini-Series Episode 2 - Ruthless Red Army

Art

[More]

reviews4gka8.png

Average Metacritic score: 81 out of 100

Destructoid: 100/100
[A] shining example of what an RTS game should be: a mix of classic mechanics with new features and technology.

4Gamers: 88/100
Company of Heroes 2 isn't perfect, because the single player story is mediocre at best. Nonetheless, this is a game every RTS-gamer has to own, because everything else is just perfect. The blizzards, Theatre of War and the new line of sight system are just brilliant and they also give this sequel the innovation the series deserves.

Machinima: 85/100
It’s hard to ask for more from a game in terms of content. Company of Heroes 2 provides a robust campaign, substantive side challenges, and a deep multiplayer that has the potential to foster a thriving community. It’s unfortunate, then, that control issues and obtuse game systems cloud the experience.

IGN: 84/100
Play the original first (it’s cheap) but Company of Heroes 2 satisfied my appetite for more.

4Players.de: 84/100
This is a competent sequel to an outstanding RTS game with a compelling multiplayer experience, although problems with AI and path-finding are still evident.

Guardian: 80/100
It's fun for exactly the same reasons Company of Heroes: Tales of Valour was fun. Many hours of rewarding historical conflict await. Play the original first: it's considerably cheaper.

Eurogamer: 80/100
While Company of Heroes 2 sometimes makes you feel like you're fighting the game as well as the enemy, if you take time to understand the systems at work beneath the carnage and pick and choose your battles wisely, you will ultimately be rewarded by a deep and enjoyable RTS.

Game Informer: 80/100
If it had been made by an upstart studio trying to make a name for itself, we’d be praising its ambition and presentation. Coming from Relic Entertainment as the follow-up to one of the landmark real-time strategy games in the genre’s history, though, it fails to meet expectations.

PC Gamer: 80/100
Company of Heroes 2 is the USSR of real-time strategy games: huge, powerful and just a little bit broken.

Gametrailers: 79/100
This is a sequel that’s more about refinement than innovation, and elements such as the weather effects and the robust Theater of War serve to make an already great franchise just a tad greater. A heavy reliance on the past keeps it from earning the legendary status of its predecessor, but appropriately, Company of Heroes 2 marks a dogged victory for Relic -- these guys have clearly been fighting the good fight.

Gamespot: 75/100
Its barrage of online and offline skirmishes doesn't always hit its mark. But when it finds its target, Company of Heroes 2 delivers a loud and mighty payload.

EDGE: 70/100
Attempting to explore the Eastern Front thematically proves misjudged, while persistent unit stupidity is wearing thin after seven years and four games. Counteracting that are the core mechanics, which are as enjoyable as ever, and there are smart new missions to test series veterans. It’s not a glorious revolution, then, but COH2 is a solid continuation of the finest WWII RTS around.

I preordered prepurchased (Steam) months ago now, collector's edition. I'm buying for the campaign, I've never invested enough time into an RTS to be competitive online. Playing the beta confirmed that CoH2 will not break this trend for me.

I know there's a passionate online community for CoH multiplayer. Don't hate on me for only playing campaign.

Overdoziz

Banned
I know there's a passionate online community for CoH multiplayer. Don't hate on me for only playing campaign.
Loved CoH's campaign. Although it did get a bit too tank focused in my eyes. Never really touched the multiplayer.
Did they change the enemy AI from the beta? Because they were absolutely brutal.

Sethos

Banned
Man people are really missing out by skipping the multiplayer. I'm not a great player, not even a real competitive player as I'm a piss poor loser but Multiplayer in CoH 2 and vCoH is some of the most intense, beautiful and addictive gaming I've experienced. Well, apart from WoW. I especially like that it's a thinking man's RTS, unlike some RTS games today where it's about who has the quickest key presses and hotkey action. A decent friend to back you up, 2v2 matches -- Slice of gaming heaven!

The campaigns are an absolute snoozefest in comparison :/

Holy mole, I did not expect this so soon. I just hope they support it as well as CoH after release, 6x more campaign was added after the initial launch iirc. Long live Mother Russia.

Overdoziz

Banned
Man people are really missing out by skipping the multiplayer. I'm not a great player, not even a real competitive player as I'm a piss poor loser but Multiplayer in CoH 2 and vCoH is some of the most intense, beautiful and addictive gaming I've experienced. Well, apart from WoW. I especially like that it's a thinking man's RTS, unlike some RTS games today where it's about who has the quickest key presses and hotkey action. A decent friend to back you up, 2v2 matches -- Slice of gaming heaven!

I'm not a big fan of RTS multiplayer in general. I prefer taking my time and building a huge base and army before I even think about attacking the enemy. Something which'll get you nowhere online.

Addnan

Pre purchased this a long time ago from gamersgate for £24 plus lots of blue coins in return, almost forgot :/

Not long to go now!

Sethos

Banned
I'm not a big fan of RTS multiplayer in general. I prefer taking my time and building a huge base and army before I even think about attacking the enemy. Something which'll get you nowhere online.

Actually, it can :p I'm a turtle player and my building style is digging down, defending my position and then just building heavy, expensive units to force my way through. You certainly don't need the be-on-your-feet-always-moving playstyle to win. That is the beauty of it.

You just have to practice with your tactic, lose a lot to learn its weakness.

Obviously, you still need to actively defend yourself and be prepared. So you can't just sit back at your base the first 30 minutes just building.

Actually, it can :p I'm a turtle player and my building style is digging down, defending my position and then just building heavy, expensive units to force my way through. You certainly don't need the be-on-your-feet-always-moving playstyle to win. That is the beauty of it.

Obviously, you still need to actively defend yourself and be prepared. So you can't just sit back at your base the first 30 minutes just building.

Bolded is why I don't invest in it. I totally get why it's fun but I already get those intense multiplayer experiences playing games like Battlefield with my friends. I don't need that from RTS games. I don't need to invest into 'getting over the hump' to play the campaign and enjoy myself.

Dawg

I really enjoyed the online co-op in the first game. Playing with a friend against the A.I can be really fun, especially on the harder difficulties.

Sethos

Banned
Bolded is why I don't invest in it. I totally get why it's fun but I already get those intense multiplayer experiences playing games like Battlefield with my friends. I don't need that from RTS games. I don't need to invest into 'getting over the hump' to play the campaign and enjoy myself.

So you just don't want another MP game in your life, I can respect that.

I really enjoyed the online co-op in the first game. Playing with a friend against the A.I can be really fun, especially on the harder difficulties.

Yeah, comp-stomping is also fun. Me and my friend does that all the time.

Twinduct

Felt the Snow mechanic in the Beta kinda played against Turtle players. The limited FOV really forced me to play differently.

One thing I really hope changes (and might have since I only played in the late stages of the Alpha, Early beta) but really felt that most of the inf units felt too much the same to me. With exception to the elite units. Something I really liked about COH was how different it felt when using a rifle squad and a ranger squad or how the british troops had a completely different play style.

Sethos

Banned
Felt the Snow mechanic in the Beta kinda played against Turtle players. The limited FOV really forced me to play differently.

Really? I felt it worked very much to my advantage as it stops every single player from doing any troop movement, without troop movement people rarely move their armour because without infantry back they are vulnerable and it's the best time to bolster your defence and build units.

Twinduct

Really? I felt it worked very much to my advantage as it stops every single player from doing any troop movement, without troop movement people rarely move their armour because without infantry back they are vulnerable and it's the best time to bolster your defence and build units.

Found the opposite tbh. I expected everyone to not move, but the armor players would just ram the fire pits and eventually force me to retreat. That plus the fucking mortars. Every Time the snow lifts I would push hard, gain a lot of ground, then snow hits and I get trampled. I would then eventually have to roll out in full armor to actually make a dent in progress.

I just feel that the snow mechanic is too punishing for inf based combat. Not sure how they'll be able to fix that other than nerfing the armor even more. Hell

I get that it's an ever changing battlefield. Just felt that almost every match turned into an eventual armor push.

I never played the non snow maps though, so can't really judge balance on those.

P.S: To clarify, I do think the game needs some attention on those areas for balance changes. However I can also completely put it down to me not having found a working strategy against armor/ mortar combos.

Sethos

Banned
Found the opposite tbh. I expected everyone to not move, but the armor players would just ram the fire pits and eventually force me to retreat. That plus the fucking mortars. Every Time the snow lifts I would push hard, gain a lot of ground, then snow hits and I get trampled. I would then eventually have to roll out in full armor to actually make a dent in progress.

I just feel that the snow mechanic is too punishing for inf based combat. Not sure how they'll be able to fix that other than nerfing the armor even more. Hell

I get that it's an ever changing battlefield. Just felt that almost every match turned into an eventual armor push.

I never played the non snow maps though, so can't really judge balance on those.

Probably depends on the player. I haven't experienced that yet, plus I also have a lot of AT set up at my forward camps to discourage any armour players to just bumrush me, part of my turtle plan. Now you need to expand your turtle style a bit to make it work with the Blizzard playstyle.

So much easier to hold off armour in the snow because they never use infantry to back it up. A tank without infantry support is AT food.

Twinduct

Probably depends on the player. I haven't experienced that yet, plus I also have a lot of AT set up at my forward camps to discourage any armour players to just bumrush me, part of my turtle plan. Now you need to expand your turtle style a bit to make it work with the Blizzard playstyle.

So much easier to hold off armour in the snow because they never use infantry to back it up. A tank without infantry support is AT food.

Stupid Mortars ended my love with ATs too quickly. Oh well, not point trying to figure it out now, the Open Beta is done in a day, already uninstalled it. So will have to wait for the release.

Sethos

Banned
Stupid Mortars ended my love with ATs too quickly. Oh well, not point trying to figure it out now, the Open Beta is done in a day, already uninstalled it. So will have to wait for the release.

I rarely meet Mortar crews any more after they got nerfed. However when I do, I always have a sniper or two in the field with a hold-fire command that I use to pick off any troublesome AT guns or mortars.

Twinduct

I rarely meet Mortar crews any more after they got nerfed. However when I do, I always have a sniper or two in the field with a hold-fire command that I use to pick off any troublesome AT guns or mortars.

They were nerfed? I literally stopped playing after the second day of the beta in fear of ruining my hype for the game. This is good though, more the reason to go back! Mortars completely killed the game for me. Was like mini homing death rockets to me. Hell in one game one guy's mortar team took down like 50 plus units at the end.

Sethos

Banned
They were nerfed? I literally stopped playing after the second day of the beta in fear of ruining my hype for the game. This is good though, more the reason to go back! Mortars completely killed the game for me. Was like mini homing death rockets to me. Hell in one game one guy's mortar team took down like 50 plus units at the end.

Well, from the Alpha the AI stopped using them and their accuracy seem very limited to a point where they have limited functionality. Not sure if they changed since the open beta started however.

AllenShrz

Bring it on! Ive played over 150 hr MP already and Im loving it.

Thats no longer the case, still you have to be wary of the 120mm, it can kill a squad with a lucky shot but is not as before.

SparkTR

Oh if only I had a PC capable of running this... Looks fantastic.

I pretty much got one (well, upgraded) due to this, Rome II: Total War, Age of Wonders III and Planetary Annihilation coming out this year. I can't miss out on all that strategy goodness.

longdi

Banned
I preordered prepurchased (Steam) months ago now, collector's edition. I'm buying for the campaign, I've never invested enough time into an RTS to be competitive online. Playing the beta confirmed that CoH2 will not break this trend for me.

I played the short campaign which Relic just unlocked after E3 and it was just not as fun as CoH1...less tactical, more cinematic on rails-ly, sooo if you loved Coh1 campaign please set your expectations lower.

But then it was a really really short demo.

Pooya

I don't think the beta looked as good as those screenshots.

hopefully there will be still enough Russian players online, for easy wins :D

Really liked vCoH campaign back then, not expecting much here from SP. hope they deliver but from DoWII campaigns have been so much worse than CoH or DoWI that I'm not expecting much here.

zma1013

Played the beta but didn't care for all the superfluous changes they made to the UI. It's like they changed stuff just for the sake of changing it. Very hard to quickly identify units and skills and whatnot. I'll be getting it eventually but not at the start. Cool changes with some of the weather stuff and whatnot. Sad there's no American army.

L1NETT

Great OP, so stoked for this game. Played the beta, for some reason love being the soviets, not so much the Germans.

Any chance we could set up a steam/group or summat similar for people who want to run games?

RS4-

As much as I wanted to get into CoH back in the day, I just couldn't. Not sure if it was the learning curve or what.

And I played a lot of RTS lol.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
How well will this run on a 6770M? I'm assuming I'll have to turn bells and whistles off but it'll run, right?

Top Bottom