• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Company of Heroes 2 |OT| The Motherland is Calling - [Western Front Armies out now]

Can't speak to the multiplayer match times / matchmaking, but can address the "veeery little time" to play comment, as I have a 5 month old at home and find my time very limited as well. Skirmish with a 500 VP limit is perfect. Games usually take 15-20 minutes, rarely going over 30. Just enough to get a game or two in while kiddo is down for a nap.

The DLC turned me off at first, but I do recommend checking out COH2 now, especially with the Western Armies, as it adds a significant amount of depth and variety to the original game, which I felt was severely lacking. Developer support is there, and Relic is actively addressing many of the (legitimate) concerns addressed by the players, most notably with the war spoils system, which absolutely needed some work. Don't worry about grabbing any of the DLC commanders unless there is something you REALLY want, the core offerings are sufficient to enjoy the game.

Either way, worth the price of admission.

Thanks for the info! I'll be sure to keep an eye out for it next time I'm looking for an RTS again. Destiny is sucking my time away atm.

I liked the original a lot, but haven't bought 2 because of all the DLC. I hate nickel and diming like that, so as much as I loved the first game, I've been waiting to see what happens with 2 since the feedback for it wasn't that hot last I checked.

I also have veeery little time to play games these days, given my gamedev endeavors after hours. Can someone perhaps share their average multiplayer match times? Is it quick like SC2 or does it take longer? How's the matchmaking? I recall matchmaking being an issue with CoH 1

I play a ton of 4vs4 through matchmaking and it depends. If I choose axis, I can be waiting anywhere from 5-10 minutes to get into a match. Allies, much less wait time. Not sure if the longer wait time depends on rank? In game match times vary, anywhere from 20 minutes to 1.5 hours, always on 500 point Victory Point matches. I think COH2 absolutely blows COH1 away at this point, especially after the latest patch. Everything just feels right.

YoodlePro

Why isn't there a gaf Google doc, so gaffers can play with eachother? There seriously should be. The game has really picked up since western fronts.

Would love that tremendously

Seeing that mass of men crawling out of the smoke ... goodness.

My teammate was like "what the fuck did they just hit us with?!' We had to watch the replay before we noticed that it was our own P-47 that got shot down. Took out 1 Jackson, the crew of the other jackson, a retreating vet rifle squad, and several miscellaneous infantry from the other squads that were leaving the base at that moment. As if that wasn't bad enough, he called it that airstrike in as I was attacking the Panther it was targeting, and so his rocket strike actually killed one of my KV1 tanks as well as the enemy. Then got shot down...

Just amazing. We would have been so pissed if that caused us to lose.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
As if that wasn't bad enough, he called it that airstrike in as I was attacking the Panther it was targeting, and so his rocket strike actually killed one of my KV1 tanks as well as the enemy. Then got shot down...

The RNG gods giveth, and the RNG gods taketh away.

anybody still playing this?

I'm streaming with my buddy, can find us here:

http://www.twitch.tv/steffend89

We're quite average so there's that. Go ahead and join the chat =)

Also people are expecting a major patch March 31th, which is quite soon. Guessing OKW is getting a hit with the nerf hammer

Still playing weekly, still steamrolling with OKW. Hope they don't get hit tooooo hard with the nerf hammer. Look forward to a new patch though and eventually new content as well. At this point, I have close to 500 hours played in COH2, and I have loved every minute of it.

Revenge of the march deployment guys.

All axis buffs all the time.

Kappa

Still playing weekly, still steamrolling with OKW. Hope they don't get hit tooooo hard with the nerf hammer. Look forward to a new patch though and eventually new content as well. At this point, I have close to 500 hours played in COH2, and I have loved every minute of it.

I started playing 3v3s as allies. It's fucking ice-skating uphill, let me tell you. 50/50 ratio, and we're an organized team of somewhat skilled players. We switched to Axis to take advantage of CAS cheese + OKW, suddenly we win almost every game. 2 out of our 3 losses were actually because of random internet fuckups meaning we lost a player at the start and just surrendered to try and get into the next game faster.

1v1 Ostheer needs a buff, but other 3 factions are "relatively" balanced for solo matchups. Team games, especially larger than 2v2, are a total shitfight.

OKW getting hit by the nerf bat, good.

I'm not sure if OH was buffed sufficiently, we'll see how the meta develops. B4 doctrine got nerfed real hard, not sure it needed to be quite that bad. Making FMR not apply to B4 is a good change, but switching it to a 25% accuracy boost instead of a 50% damage boost is a major decrease in effectiveness on every unit it applies to. Combined with removal of precision strike at vet 1 on the B4, and the prevalence of the CAS doctrine in the team game meta, I don't think the doctrine is going to see much use anymore.

Shame really, it's a lot of fun to use even tho the old B4 was definitely too good if the enemy didn't have Stukka to counter it.

Jackson change is blessing and a curse. I did some math and the Jackson is better against Panther (same # of shots to kill, but now with better pen), but worse against Tiger and other Heavy tanks (takes 1 extra shot to kill, the extra penetration doesn't make up for this). I actually think it might be worse overall, the sole exception being facing down Panthers.

IMO the tweak should have been - reduce to 200 damage, increase rate of fire by 14% to maintain the same DPS as before, and grant HVAP ability at vet0 instead of vet1 (replace with some trivial vet buff). Thus it does less alpha strike damage against ost T3, but the refire rate increase means that it still does the same DPS over time. The DPS was never a problem because its current ROF is pretty bad. The HVAP ability might have been granted a slight buff too.

hepburn3d

Man I'm loving the Brits! Such a great faction. You can get destroyed early game and think it's going to be a GG 10 minutes in then you start to harden the lines, build your defences and push back with the tanks. Great addition to the game

Top Bottom