• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comprehensive List of Wind Waker HD Changes

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Wow, sounds amazing; I loved the game so much and believe I will love it even more.
A standout to me is not getting hit off the boat.

Nyoro SF

Wow, sounds amazing; I loved the game so much and believe I will love it even more.
A standout to me is not getting hit off the boat.

It's a great change for efficiency, but beware; this opens you up to getting comboed. In GC WW when you got knocked off the boat you were entirely invincible up to and until you landed in the water (and even for a brief period while swimming).

In WWHD the invincibility window after getting hit on your boat is super short, so it's not as easy to just plow through damage wise. Especially on Hero Mode, I think enemy cannons take off three hearts of damage (don't quote me on this).

You would think "let's make everything faster/less tedious!" would be the big lesson to take away for Zelda Wii U

Honestly, the one thing that keeps irritating the shit out of me is the damn text boxes. For instance, if I go to the auction house or play a rupee game, I don't need the same long dialog before I finally get an option to play. The first time it's cool, but damn.

Nyoro SF

Honestly, the one thing that keeps irritating the shit out of me is the damn text boxes. For instance, if I go to the auction house or play a rupee game, I don't need the same long dialog before I finally get an option to play. The first time it's cool, but damn.

Yes, that is annoying. For example the number of prompts before you buy something from Beedle gets very tedious, especially if you consider that in games like Ocarina of Time you were able to check out and purchase items immediately without having to talk to the shop owner.

Yes, that is annoying. For example the number of prompts before you buy something from Beedle gets very tedious, especially if you consider that in games like Ocarina of Time you were able to check out and purchase items immediately without having to talk to the shop owner.

I feel link Nintendo doesn't actually play through these games, or stuff like this just wouldn't happen. I know they actually do play through them multiple times, which kind of mind boggling lol

Don't wanna spoil myself... but did they fix the triforce quest?

Yes, they did fellow gaffer. I won't tell you how though.

Nyoro SF

I feel link Nintendo doesn't actually play through these games, or stuff like this just wouldn't happen. I know they actually do play through them multiple times, which kind of mind boggling lol

I always chalked up these bad decisions to some loony assistant director or something who gets off on bad UI. lol

Couple more things:

Items that you break out of enemy orbs don't disappear as quickly
After killing an enemy at sea their items fly toward you
The forest water quest has an extra 10 minutes added

I found a tingle statue by accident, by the way. Small victory I guess.

L~A

That's a very nice listing, thanks Nyoro SF! I really like what I'm reading, except the part about pushing blocks... That's some thing I really liked about the original, the ability to just use a button instead of waiting a second before being able to push a block.
I have no idea why they changed that though... it's definitely not a lack of buttons, since the GamePad (and Pro Controller) has more buttons than the GameCube controller.

Once again, thanks for the list Nyoro SF. I really can't wait to start playing this tomorrow morning (will be getting up even earlier, so I can play a bit before work ;p).

Robin64

Two questions.

Is Hero Mode a a toggle or does it create a file that is always Hero Mode?

Are the sections where you control people in the two dungeons less tedious?

Nyoro SF

Couple more things:

Items that you break out of enemy orbs don't disappear as quickly
After killing an enemy at sea their items fly toward you
The forest water quest has an extra 10 minutes added

I found a tingle statue by accident, by the way. Small victory I guess.

I will add this all in. One more thing is that if you break an enemy orb, it will always drop that enemy's "special item", like Joy Pendants, Skull Necklaces and Knight's Crests.

It's not entirely true. I was knocked off the boat several times. It does seem to be less frequent though.

I think it only happens if you take a real significant hit, maybe two bombs at once? Anyway 90% of the time you won't get knocked off.

I get disgusted every time I read the changes.
It's nothing more than polishing up the graphics, some minor improvements and Miiverse integration... There are no new dungeons, no new content, nothing new to justify it as a "new" game.

Don't get me wrong, I love polished versions... One of my favorite games of all time is P4G, but even that adds new content... New dungeons, characters, endings, Personas, social links, locations, and additional gameplay time. And other HD remakes like MGS or Jak... They bundle their games together and charge a significant reduction from the price of a regular game.
But Nintendo, all they're producing is the same game with a little polish then charging full price for it. And the worst part is that they're getting away with it.

Nyoro SF

I get disgusted every time I read the changes.
It's nothing more than polishing up the graphics, some minor improvements and Miiverse integration... There are no new dungeons, no new content, nothing new to justify it as a "new" game.

I partially agree.

Not sure I like all the enemy nerfs, but I guess Hero Mode will fix that for complainers.

The Ganondorf fight on Hero Mode is probably the most real fight in all of Zelda history. I had no idea that the ol' GDorf had unblockable attacks or ones that caused stagger because he dealt so little damage relative to your health that you could just give no fucks before in the GC version. I'm also pretty sure they lowered the window for the Dodge Counter during this fight too.

They removed the encore for the song of control.

IDK what else you could have wanted, those are the best dungeons in the game.

No encore on songs speeds up the game so much, that change really cannot be understated.

The Ganondorf fight on Hero Mode is probably the most real fight in all of Zelda history. I had no idea that the ol' GDorf had unblockable attacks or ones that caused stagger because he dealt so little damage relative to your health that you could just give no fucks before in the GC version. I'm also pretty sure they lowered the window for the Dodge Counter during this fight too.

Seriously caught me off guard. Went in there with 14 hearts and no faeries and died before I got to the second phase.

3 Heart Run on Hero Mode is gonna be hell.

Ulumsk

Sounds like you don't have to play through the game twice to max out the gallery this time. That's nice.

Meesh

I'm loving WW and taking my sweet time with it, soaking it all in so to speak. There's something missing from Wind Waker though that I just realized I miss from A Link to the Past. When I found myself trudging through the rain on Wind Fall that's when it hit me. There's no sloshing sound effects from running through the grass! Not too big a deal...but I remember when I first picked up ALttP, that was one of the first little details I noticed, it made me go, "oh my god, this is awesome". Weird, but true. It's not like it's game breaking to not have soaked foot sound effects, just something I noticed was missing from an otherwise immersive experience.

L~A

I believe you get the camera before you go beat Gohma. The difference is, you can get the Pictobox Deluxe automatically by completing the picture quest (where you have to get pictures of some of the inhabitants). That means you have the deluxe pictobox when you go beat Gohma, and you can take a picture of it.

Before, you needed to reach the Forest Island to get the firefly needed to upgrade the Pictobox. A very small change that may seem insignificant, but it's pretty cool.

Nyoro SF

I'm loving WW and taking my sweet time with it, soaking it all in so to speak. There's something missing from Wind Waker though that I just realized I miss from A Link to the Past. When I found myself trudging through the rain on Wind Fall that's when it hit me. There's no sloshing sound effects from running through the grass! Not too big a deal...but I remember when I first picked up ALttP, that was one of the first little details I noticed, it made me go, "oh my god, this is awesome". Weird, but true. It's not like it's game breaking to not have soaked foot sound effects, just something I noticed was missing from an otherwise immersive experience.

You know... you're right! That's actually a big mistake for a game which, in my opinion, has the best sound direction of all the Zeldas.

massoluk

Banned
I knew that Swift Sail is new addition, but holy shit.

This is my first time with Wind Waker, things sound fucking tedious judging from the list on the GC version.

Having 12 Pictographs was an improvement? But I'm always running out of space! No Wand, cannon, treasure hunting on the dpad shortkey? No direction changing with grappling hook? Damn.

My memory of Wind Waker is fuzzy, but I noticed a little green leaf icon under Link when using the Deku Leaf, I don't remember having there before. It makes landing a lot easier than I remember.

Nyoro SF

My memory of Wind Waker is fuzzy, but I noticed a little green leaf icon under Link when using the Deku Leaf, I don't remember having there before. It makes landing a lot easier than I remember.

Oh yes, that's right. Adding it in. It looks a lot like the old Tingle Tuner symbol that would follow you once the GBA was connected.

I've been knocked out of my boat.

I have at least once, but I can't get it to happen again... so I'll adjust the note.

Kater

Banned
Thanks for the list! (And thanks to Nintendo for making this Remake so special! :) )
Can't wait. I expect to get it in around one or two days (Wii U Bundle) from Amazon.

Nyoro SF

Thanks for the list! (And thanks to Nintendo for making this Remake so special! :) )
Can't wait. I expect to get it in around one or two days (Wii U Bundle) from Amazon.

Excellent.

I will be adding in a post to the OP in the future to what I think should have been changed, but didn't. Just some minor stuff.

Sigma722

• Can alter camera controls to be reversed (thanks GameXplain).

Is this new? I haven't played in a few days so this might be part of a patch, but for me you could only alter camera controls for X-axis, or when in 1st person mode for aiming.

Really hoping for inverted Y camera...

sits

• Can download/submit Pictographs over Miiverse, getting the tough/missable ones MUCH easier.
I remember this broke my heart when I found this Sidequest, only to realise I'd already missed earlier opportunities to get some Pictographs. I never forgot it. Of all the changes to this HD upgrade, this is the one that makes me smile the most.

Quesa

Can you play the game exclusively on the Gamepad? (i.e., relegate the main screen as the game pad screen?) sorry if this has been asked before.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Hell all I needed was the faster ocean travel and Triforce piece search simplified lol

Rootbeer

Banned
i finished WW 100% back in the day, I'm the type of person that can balk at overly challenging games or segments of games, but I had no problem doing this. It seems to me like a lot of the changes make achieving things easier and/or faster in the HD version. While some changes are very welcome (like the sailing ones), some of the others such as the increased time given for the water dungeon feel like they are just making it easier for the sake of being easier. Don't think it's really necessary.

Nyoro SF

i finished WW 100% back in the day, I'm the type of person that can balk at overly challenging games or segments of games, but I had no problem doing this. It seems to me like a lot of the changes make achieving things easier and/or faster in the HD version. While some changes are very welcome (like the sailing ones), some of the others such as the increased time given for the water dungeon feel like they are just making it easier for the sake of being easier. Don't think it's really necessary.

Hero Mode makes up for any qualms of easiness.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really optimistic about this newfound "let's pace things up" spirit. Hopefully Zelda U wont tell us what kind of rupee we pick up every time after restarting save! :p

Top Bottom