• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Compression is dead, ladies and gentlemen.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
So, someone on twitter just posted the system requirements for Redfall and... well, just take a look at this retardation.
FnWWETBXoBgKRWQ.jpg

It's the typical unoptimized PC port that we're going to be seeing a lot of in 2023, mid range minimum requirements, insane ram requirement, etc... but look at the storage space.

100 gigabytes.

100 gigabytes

One hundred fucking gigabytes.

For a game, which looks like this

ss_85c9ccbe89ebbae9c2ec8333b7a896c1574dccf0.1920x1080.jpg

ss_d3a513ced278f97bda953765164fd01dedafd3cd.1920x1080.jpg

For reference, Hi-Fi Rush, a game which came out today under the same publisher, only requires 20 gigabytes of storage... Its recommended requirements are weaker than Redfall's minimum.
and that's for a game which looks like THIS.

ss_7dfaee4616fbed65b2b0fcb82d55dc0a957fd8a5.1920x1080.jpg

ss_8a13650ffe930da77593dae80f0118588c46a5ca.1920x1080.jpg

So guys.... what the hell happened? Why the hell is ONE game so clearly inferior looking and larger than the other?

Remember when games used to be 400 megabytes, 2 gigabytes, 4 MEGABYTES?
Stored on the 512 kilobyte cartridge of Mario World was one of the most fun gaming experiences I've had.
Super Mario 64 didn't exceed 8 megabytes.
Castlevania Symphony of the Night was a 700 megabyte game on the Playstation 1.

When we made the switch to gigabytes with 6th gen, it was a conservative usage. Most games on the PS2 were just 4 gigs, with the exception of God of War, God of War 2, and Gran Turismo 4. And if you've played those 3 titles you know exactly why they're 8 gigs.

Even if we're talking 100 gigabytes, Grand Theft Auto 5 is 100 gigabytes and that game has 100 times the content Redfall will launch with. I know this for a fact because of the state of MS's Studios and Modern gaming as a whole.

Destiny 2 is 100 gigabytes and that game has 6 years of content updates and expansions behind it. It's also an MMO, so it's excused on that. Finally, it looks like this.
Destiny+2+Screenshot+2017.10.24+-+20.58.40.80.jpg

Forza Horizon 5 has some of the prettiest racing game graphics I've ever seen and 600 + cars behind it as well as a gigantic open world and many things to do inside of it. And it's also a looker

Forza-Horizon-5-1-1.jpg

Meanwhile a mediocre looking game like Redfall which is SURE to launch with 1/4 the content of Left 4 Dead 2, sporting graphics that look like they came straight out of 2015. 100 gigabytes, please!

Compression is dead ladies and gentlemen. Better save up and buy those 10tb hard drives because you'll need them for the coming years!

Gorgyles

Banned
It's one of the things I truly hate and have hated since Carmack's Megatextures kick.
We have to get back to optimized experiences.

Not a single person would notice the difference between a 100GB redfall and a 20GB redfall.

Breath of the Wild is an impossibly big game and is sub 15GB.
Tsushima takes up 35GB.

Devs can and should do better in a world where +100GB SSD space isn't cheap, especially in the console space.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
typically that required storage value on games still a bit far from being released are just placeholders.

Anyway OP next time try not to be so obvious when you try to find a way to say in a thread that "a mediocre looking game like Redfall which is SURE to launch with 1/4 the content of Left 4 Dead 2, sporting graphics that look like they came straight out of 2015".

Last edited:

Gorgyles

Banned
People like you are so amusing. You want better visuals and sound every generation, yet you never want to deal with the consequences that come with that: games taking up more space.

Gaming equivalent of wanting to have your cake and eat it too.

Sound and textures are good enough and have been for quite awhile.

Games looking better is more about lighting, animation, geometry, and art than anything.

And the PS4->PS5 generation "leap" was kneecapped by 4k60

Banned
So, someone on twitter just posted the system requirements for Redfall and... well, just take a look at this retardation.
FnWWETBXoBgKRWQ.jpg

It's the typical unoptimized PC port that we're going to be seeing a lot of in 2023, mid range minimum requirements, insane ram requirement, etc... but look at the storage space.

100 gigabytes.

100 gigabytes

For reference, Hi-Fi Rush, a game which came out today under the same publisher, only requires 20 gigabytes of storage... Its recommended requirements are weaker than Redfall's minimum.

So guys.... what the hell happened? Why the hell is ONE game so clearly inferior looking and larger than the other?

Stored on the 512 kilobyte cartridge of Mario World was one of the most fun gaming experiences I've had.

When we made the switch to gigabytes with 6th gen, it was a conservative usage. Most games on the PS2 were just 4 gigs, with the exception of God of War, God of War 2, and Gran Turismo 4. And if you've played those 3 titles you know exactly why they're 8 gigs.

Even if we're talking 100 gigabytes, Grand Theft Auto 5 is 100 gigabytes and that game has 100 times the content Redfall will launch with. I know this for a fact because of the state of MS's Studios and Modern gaming as a whole.

Destiny 2 is 100 gigabytes and that game has 6 years of content updates and expansions behind it. It's also an MMO, so it's excused on that. Finally, it looks like this.

Forza Horizon 5 has some of the prettiest racing game graphics I've ever seen and 600 + cars behind it as well as a gigantic open world and many things to do inside of it. And it's also a looker

Forza-Horizon-5-1-1.jpg

Meanwhile a mediocre looking game like Redfall which is SURE to launch with 1/4 the content of Left 4 Dead 2, sporting graphics that look like they came straight out of 2015. 100 gigabytes, please!

Compression is dead ladies and gentlemen. Better save up and buy those 10tb hard drives because you'll need them for the coming years!

the issue is that the minimum specs here. the CPU/GPU for the minimum specs might not be fast enough to decompress files on the fly.

ideally developers would offer a compressed direct storage optimised version going forward and a legacy compatible less compressed version of each game.

but I doubt any developer will actually do this, after all it's additional work.

Gorgyles

Banned
the issue is that the minimum specs here. the CPU/GPU for the minimum specs might not be fast enough to decompress files on the fly.

ideally developers would offer a compressed direct storage optimised version going forward and a legacy compatible less compressed version of each game.

but I doubt any developer will actually do this, after all it's additional work.

I think OP means optimization, not compression.
I want woodgrain.png at 200kb and not woodgrain.tga at 10MB

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
i mean one is a far more compressed file than the other and it likely has the same quality. it is compression because if devs compressed their files more, we wouldn't have 100 gigabytes games like this

but these assets do not look like they need to be streamed, they're PS3 quality visuals. They look ugly before they've even come out

Banned

but these assets do not look like they need to be streamed, they're PS3 quality visuals. They look ugly before they've even come out

that's of course also a big issue yes. textures that absolutely do not need to be as big as they are.

if you have a texture that's just a single tone of green and nothing else, and you do not use a format like PNG which is specifically designed for cases like that (only a few, mostly solid colors), then that's just stupid.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It's not that uncommon nowadays. It's not bad for HDD but if you need SSD speed for the game yeah I guess it hurts a bit.

Freeza93

Banned
Whats the issue? Maybe people should stop gaming if they cant afford the space for it.

current gen games are not restrained by the memory limitation if old gen consoles so of course the space for better textures will grow a Lot. Imagine a rdr 2 with 4k textures? shit would eat 400gb +.

Do 100 gb in redfall while being an open world game. is actually good compression at only 100 gb.

Corndog

Banned
FnWWETBXoBgKRWQ.jpg

100 gigabytes.

100 gigabytes

Forza-Horizon-5-1-1.jpg

Is it UE5? Might be engine related.

Corndog

Banned
that's of course also a big issue yes. textures that absolutely do not need to be as big as they are.

if you have a texture that's just a single tone of green and nothing else, and you do not use a format like PNG which is specifically designed for cases like that (only a few, mostly solid colors), then that's just stupid.
I’m sure developers know what rle compression is.

K' Dash

game looks good, just because its not gritty post-apocalyptic-daddy-issues-walking-simulator you can't say it's visuals are crap.

and I mean, you have a PC dude, can't you uninstall some shit? there are probably 400 games there in your machine that you will not touch ever, or you know... buy another SSD.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Games with the biggest gigabytes
On that list we have games like Red Dead Redemption 2, Destiny 2, Microsoft Flight Simulator, Hitman, etc
games that are worth their size in not just quality but CONTENT. there's so much stuff you can do in Destiny, in Hitman, in Borderlands, it's no wonder the games are so large when they're so high budget. Modern Warfare is a terrible exception, but not much more than an exception.
FFS, Mass Effect and Halo are collections.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
game looks good, just because its not gritty post-apocalyptic-daddy-issues-walking-simulator you can't say it's visuals are crap.
dude even among the ranks of AA/indie games the visuals are mediocre stuff you'd find on a mobile phone. Final Fantasy X in 2001 looked better than this. Splinter Cell in 2002 looked better than this. Ratchet and Clank 2 in 2003 looked better than this.

K' Dash

dude even among the ranks of AA/indie games the visuals are mediocre stuff you'd find on a mobile phone. Final Fantasy X in 2001 looked better than this. Splinter Cell in 2002 looked better than this. Ratchet and Clank 2 in 2003 looked better than this.

You clearly have not played FFX in a while, this reminds me when people here said that AC Unity looked like an iPhone game in 2014 lol.

Also, if I like how the game looks and can't wait to play it, I wouldn't give a fuck how much space will take, I just install the thing.

I can't wait to play Hogwarts Legacy and you can bet your ass that even if takes me the whole SSD I'll be playing that shit day one instead of complaining about not having more games in my machine, that I wouldn't be touching anyway cause I'll be playing that shit only for weeks.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
yes i could clear out more space on my machine and buy a new SSD but why the fuck should i have to when the game clearly looks dated? many developers have done far more with 100 gb of space and i'd happily buy an SSD for games like those. Hell i even did a whole purge on installed games from my system storage a couple days ago, i can easily fit this on my machine

but there's no reason this game should be taking up as much storage as it is. it should be 50 gigabytes at most with those visuals

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I doubt very much it is actually 100GB's unless they are doing something really wacky.

Top Bottom