• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Computer gaming tends to get the short shrift from gaming journalism

DocSeuss

I'm in a great deal of pain. I'm bored. I want to go to the doctor but can't afford it--can't even afford to miss the solitary hour of work I'm scheduled for today. This is my personal therapy/distraction for the day.

Consoles bore me. I haven't touched my PS3 in six months, and my 360 hasn't fared a whole lot better. When my LIVE sub runs out, it's not being renewed. Sure, I'm mildly interested in an Xbox One, because of Remedy/Insomniac/Turn10/Playground stuff that's coming out, and a PS4, because of Infamous, but even if I was in a position where buying new consoles was easy, I'm not sure I'd go right out and do it.

Gaming, for me, is all about computer gaming. It's way more cost-effective. It's got way more exclusives. It's got a significantly broader variety of games, the best versions of these games, an amazing amount of interface options, customizability, free online, everything.

Computer gaming is straight-up awesome, in every respect.

Like most people, I tend to visit large multiplatform gaming websites quite a bit. They've got interviews, features, and stuff that's largely relevant to my interests, but the one area they tend to ignore is computer gaming. Last year, most sites completely ignored Shadow Warrior, which was easily one of the best-written games we've had in years. One of the few reviews said that the very mouse-oriented game was "better with a controller." Dragon Commander, which Durante called "...the most entertaining PC-ass PC game..." fared even more poorly.

These were awesome, entertaining, and fun games, and yet, they were pretty much ignored. One major gaming website's only articles on Shadow Warrior are for marketing trailers released. Coverage of Dragon Commander consists of an article mentioning the announcement of the game, and a video of some staff playing the game.

I've spoken with indie devs who've talked about how some of these big sites pretty much ignore them. One told me that a major gaming website flat-out told them "no, we won't cover you." I've pitched an article to an editor I greatly admire, and he turned an article down because "we've covered the game before." The coverage? A single article mentioning the game's Kickstarter. Much love to the guy; I think he's one of the best in the biz, and I'd pretty much kill to work for him, even at minimum wage, but in that one area, I found myself a bit disappointed.

It's not to say this kind of stuff always happens. That guy who got rejected for ANY kind of coverage? Kotaku picked up his game, giving him an outlet, so good on them for that.

For fun, I looked up the posting history of a gaming journalist. This person had posted about 31 articles regarding one IP, nearly a dozen regarding another, reposted lots of content from Dorkly, and had covered other topics half a dozen or so times. I believe an Oculus Rift port of a classic console game had two or three articles alone, not counting other articles on the franchise, which hasn't had a major release recently.

I see this kind of thing a lot. Plenty of articles on these sites seem like excuses to tweet about nostalgia, or a series someone likes. Playing Animal Crossing right now? Sure, here's about two posts a day, every day, for ANYTHING Animal Crossing. Plushies, fan art, you name it, let's talk about Animal Crossing however we can. But oh, well, we've posted the ads when they showed up, so we've done our due diligence. Don't need to review it or anything. Don't have the manpower. Gotta keep posting those barely-read Animal Crossing articles.

Okay, I sound a little bitter. Sorry.

To a degree, I get it. Consoles have larger audiences (never mind that PC-specific sites like RPS and PC Gamer get millions of hits, and PC Gamer's one of the few gaming magazines still in print, when plenty of console-focused articles have failed). Most gaming journalists are Mac users, which is why any PC nostalgia they have seems to be limited to games that showed up on Macs, like old-school Lucasarts Adventure titles. Quite a few of them simply don't play PC games. I know, I've talked to them. Heck, I've convinced one to buy a PC gaming rig, and doing so ended up convincing his boss. I gave both of them some advice on building these things.

But it completely bothers me that people running big gaming websites which are ostensibly about covering all games don't even play PC games, or do so rarely.

The creator of Thomas Was Alone, Mike Bithell, said he felt as though PC exclusives got a degree of 'legitimacy' when they went to consoles, but I think he's got it a bit wrong. It's not so much consumers, it's press. We're not seeing consumers go "oh, because of this news article that a game is coming to consoles, I am going to buy this game," we're seeing journalists go "oh, this game is important now that it's coming to consoles, I'll write about it," people are becoming aware of the game, and then they're going out and buying it. The issue isn't with consumers, I think, so much as it is with the gaming press.

Consider this: computer exclusive games tend to get lower press scores compared to their audience reception, unless they're known IPs (eg Diablo). After a computer-exclusive game gets released, you'll find a lot of people just completely falling in love with these games... which end up getting something in the 70s on metacritic, if they're reviewed at all. When they are reviewed, it seems that people rarely give them the attention they deserve--several major sites, for instance, completely ignored major problems with SimCity, a 'known' game IP that many of them had played earlier iterations of, presumably because they didn't spend much time with the game. On the flip side, a game like Shadow Warrior had its wonderful tragic narrative and deep gunplay ignored because it had fun with wang jokes. Obvious, but not really the meat of the games.

Games writers will talk about console, even mobile games that deserve our affections, that were unfairly ignored, but when the computer games get involved, it's like "nah, hey, let's just pretend this isn't a thing." I've seen some of these major sites dedicate a lot more time to random non-gaming stuff than computer games.

"We don't have the manpower to cover everything" seems solved by maybe spending a bit less time browsing various aggregators to repost someone's amusing Pokemon picture. Heck, it took me about two days to get through Shadow Warrior, and a couple articles to write a review
that has encouraged a surprising number of people to go buy the game, so I feel great about that
. Say you ONLY write about Shadow Warrior and Dragon Commander. That's what, maybe a week or so, assuming you're doing a ton of other real-life stuff around that? It's not like it's a whole lot of time, and it's literally just two articles in a single year.

"Computer games don't sell as much." HAHAHAHA, that's not even true. Most multiplatform PC games, for instance, sell as much as their console SKUs. Some, like Dragon Age: Origins and Payday 2, both the best-selling games their respective developers had ever released, performed waaaaay better on computers than the consoles. Imagine a games website that only ever talked about Nintendo and the Xbox One, occasionally going "oh, right, yeah, a PS4 game is coming out, here's a trailer," and left it at that. When computer games are on par with or sell better than console SKUs, it seems like they deserve equal attention.

There are other factors as well. Computer gaming doesn't have any organized PR. The company that does the most for it is Valve, which, due to its unique management structure, doesn't seem to have the kind of PR department that first-parties have. Plus, they seem way more focused on developers. I can totally see how, without advocacy, PC gaming can fall by the wayside.

PC gaming, until 2008 or so, was pretty difficult to get into, but that's changed quite a bit. It's easy, cost-effective, and has the most (and best) games. For a while, the industry (mistakenly) believed that PC gaming was dying--no real reason to invest in it.

Additionally... it kinda seems like the people who actually grew up liking PC games didn't go into journalism, or, if they did, didn't stay long. Heck, the EIC of RPS, Jim Rossignol, hasn't been around much lately, as I understand it, because he's working a game. Kieron Gillen left RPS to go work on comics. Tom Francis released Gunpoint and retired from journalism. Guys like Shawn Elliott and Jeff Green have/had jobs in the industry. Erik Wolpaw and Chet Faliszek, the greatest gaming writers of all time, are now best known for writing Portal.

I've also noticed a difference between these guys and a lot of the current gaming press. Most of these guys got their industry jobs/made their own games/etc in part because they all displayed an understanding of how games worked. It's not really surprising that I value their writing on games way more than the kind of people who occasionally take a break from posting a wild theory about how the Pixar universe is all connected to say some shallow thing about games. Right now, a great deal of games writers seem to spend more time on nostalgia (it's a pretty common theme in articles they write), with a few shallow critiques that would make writers in other disciplines cringe. They come to games writing as fans, often with heavy console gaming backgrounds, where the best writers seem to be people who come to games writing as enthusiasts, almost always with a significant grounding in PC gaming. Many of the latter end up making it into the industry.

Don't get me wrong. There are some people, like Matt Leone and Jason Schreier, who do these incredible long-form games writing, demonstrating that they are absolutely fantastic journalists. I'd love to be even a tenth as good as they are.

I follow a pretty diverse group of people on twitter. Within gaming circles, though, I've noticed something. The people with all the nostalgia for computer games? Developers. Whenever No One Lives Forever shows up in my Twitter feed, it's almost entirely because of someone like Nels Anderson, Clint Hocking, Steve Gaynor, David Pittman, or Anthony Burch. The people with the nostalgia for console gaming, on the other hand? Current journalists.

So.

Yeah.

I'm not saying "hey, you, I know you don't enjoy computer games, but you HAVE to talk about them." You like what you like, and I'm not going to keep you from that. But... y'know, if you can, at least hire someone who does like 'em. If you don't feel like using your voice to talk about computer games, find someone who does.
Heck, I'd do it for like... $10k a year. It's below the poverty line, but I already am, so what do I care?

PC games. They tend to get ignored. What journalists do write about them tend to move on to the business, which is sad, because they're often the journalists who seem to understand games beyond nostalgia and presentation.

I wish more people would write about computer games. I wish people would talk about Tropico 5 just as much as the next random console exclusive that will probably manage to eke out a mid-80s on metacritic and generally see a gigantic price drop 'cause nobody liked it. I'm doing what I can, but... well, I'm an occasional freelancer.

Get the voices out there, gaming press. Somehow. Talk about it more. Quite a few of us actually care.

Dennis

Banned
PC games are the best
graphics money can buy

Something for everyone.

And genres you basically don't see on any other platforms.

RerezDude

Larger audience on consoles. That's why game press tends to focus on that. You get more feedback from it. It's one of the reasons why many YouTuber producers (like myself) aim for consoles. Better chance someone can relate to what you are talking about.

DocSeuss

Larger audience on consoles. That's why game press tends to focus on that. You get more feedback from it. It's one of the reasons why many YouTuber producers (like myself) aim for consoles. Better chance someone can relate to what you are talking about.

I'ma just go out on a limb and guess you didn't read what I wrote. :)

Silky

Banned
The majority of PC gaming as a whole is a paradise for the middle-tier developers, which unsurprisingly gets very little coverage from the enthusiast press as well.

And yet nothing for me that I can't get on consoles.

Man I wish Total War had a console port.

Then again an /RTS/ getting a /console port/ is a fucking stupid idea.

Dennis

Banned
I used to get really annoyed with the lack of exposure for PC games in the
American
gaming press but it bothers me less now because I don't read so much about gaming from the professional press any more.

DocSeuss

The majority of PC gaming as a whole is a paradise for the middle-tier developers, which unsurprisingly gets very little coverage from the enthusiast press as well.

That's why I picked Shadow Warrior, Tropico, and Dragon Commander. These games were all middle-range price point titles, sized like AAA games, if not bigger. Interesting, unique... honestly, everything anyone pleads for when asking about new games. I've seen press people complain about originality, but are they gonna check these games out? NOPE.

I used to get really annoyed with the lack of exposure for PC games in the
American
gaming press but it bothers me less now because I don't read so much about gaming from the professional press any more.

A big part of it for me is for things like what Bithell said about Thomas Was Alone. When did that game REALLY start getting coverage in the press? When it was announced as a PS4 game. Before then, the press honestly didn't take it all that seriously, aside from a few people who were like "wow this was great."

I mean, ffs, Bioshock Infinite was nothing compared to, say, Kentucky Route Zero or Shadow Warrior. Its writing was awful and trite, its gameplay shallow. But those games were ignored, Infinite wasn't--in fact, quite a few people went in praising it like "wow it's so smart," and eventually were like "oh, I guess... not... but for whatever reason, it's still a great game, even if we're finding a lot to complain about and almost nothing to praise."

KRZ and SW were the best-written games of last year, and nobody played them. But, if they came to consoles/iPads, I'm pretty sure the press would lose its mind on how great they were.

I see a hierarchy like... console > ipad > mobile > PC right now. And that's just absurd.

Durante

I just read the entire OP and I think I agree with everything in it. It's interesting that you point out Dragon Commander, since Swen (Vincke, Larian CEO) blogged about the difficulties in getting the media to cover a mid-sized PC game, especially US media.

Mid-sized in terms of budget obviously, not content!

iansherr

Neo Member
Larger audience on consoles. That's why game press tends to focus on that.

Certainly, the sales data backs you up here. Console game sales are estimated to be nearly 4x more than PC this year. Further, PC is expected to shrink over the next three years, whereas console will grow (slightly).

More importantly, many of the top-tier games I keep my eyes on are released for both. Yes, there are certainly games released only for the PC (many MOBAs, MMOs and mid-tier stuff that's often on Steam), and in my defense I have written about them.

But because of the nature of my job, I typically focus on AAA titles, which overwhelmingly are released on both PCs and consoles.

So, perhaps your complaint is that there aren't enough people writing about mid-tier games?

Not being critical, just trying to share my thoughts and better understand yours.

RerezDude

I'ma just go out on a limb and guess you didn't read what I wrote. :)

I did and I agree with you. I was just coming at it from a video perspective. One of my favorite magazines to read back when I was a kid was Next Gen. They did amazing articles about PC gaming, but as time went on their focused aimed at consoles.

I feel (much like I assume you do) that PC gaming doesn't get enough love anymore. The passion writers used to have is falling away to target a larger audience.

DocSeuss

I did and I agree with you. I was just coming at it from a video perspective. One of my favorite magazines to read back when I was a kid was Next Gen. They did amazing articles about PC gaming, but as time went on the focused aimed at consoles.

I feel (much like I assume you do) that PC gaming doesn't get enough love anymore. The passion writers used to have is falling away to target a larger audience.

I think it's worth noting that a lot of the big YT stuff has been covering things like DayZ, Amnesia, and Minecraft.

Those are (were, in the case of Minecraft) PC exclusive games. Just saying...

Certainly, the sales data backs you up here. Console game sales are estimated to be nearly 4x more than PC this year. Further, PC is expected to shrink over the next three years, whereas console will grow (slightly).

More importantly, many of the top-tier games I keep my eyes on are released for both. Yes, there are certainly games released only for the PC (many MOBAs, MMOs and mid-tier stuff that's often on Steam), and in my defense I have written about them.

But because of the nature of my job, I typically focus on AAA titles, which overwhelmingly are released on both PCs and consoles.

So, perhaps your complaint is that there aren't enough people writing about mid-tier games?

Not being critical, just trying to share my thoughts and better understand yours.

1) I've seen sales data that indicates otherwise... like how Payday 2 not only had the PC version dramatically outselling the console versions, but how it pulled a formerly console-exclusive developer, Starbreeze, out of ten years of debt in just two quarters. Projections from intel and nvidia (I know, I know, they're PC vendors, but still, they'd know) indicate PC gaming is going to continue to grow. Accounts on Steam have been increasing at a significantly higher rate than Xbox Live or PSN, with most accounts having people buying games...

2) Yup, many are released for both. But they're almost exclusively ignored on PC. How many people are out there reviewing a game saying "I reviewed the PC version?" It's almost always the 360 edition. And again, a lot of what I talked about included things like random articles showing Pokemon fanart and stuff. You don't tend to get a lot of that with PC gaming. We're not just talking about reviews here, but overall coverage.

3) Absolutely, not enough people writing about mid-tier games is a thing. I'm sad that Betrayer, the best game I've played this year, has been almost entirely ignored by the press. But, again, it's more than that. It's all the random stuff that's just talking about twitter feeds and the like. It's people saying "yeah, I know that indie game is releasing a new trailer, but I'm not going to cover it regardless." How long does it take to write a few words or so saying "hey, so that indie game released a new trailer today, here it is. You may remember them from their Kickstarter a while back"? Not many. Sure, interviewing 'em might be a bit less of a priority, but still, I think it's worth doing.

I'm talking about coverage here. Overall coverage. Flat-out refusal to even look into certain PC exclusive games (or ignore them), while simultaneously having no issue talking about some dumb tweet from Kojima or something like that.

RerezDude

I think it's worth noting that a lot of the big YT stuff has been covering things like DayZ, Amnesia, and Minecraft.

Those are (were, in the case of Minecraft) PC exclusive games. Just saying...

True, but I believe the reason that has happened in some cases is due to the ease of recording PC stuff. Console recording requires external hardware while PC stuff doesn't.

patapuf

I think PC stuff is getting a lot of coverage from YT producers, PC games (especially the niche ones) certainly play a much larger role there than they do in the gaming press.

And game streaming, like twitch, is completely dominated by PC. PS4 has a lot of streamers for example, but there are very few people actually watching.

RerezDude

And game streaming, like twitch, is completely dominated by PC. PS4 has a lot of streamers for example, but there are very few people actually watching.

That's true. When I think of game journalism though I am thinking about new outlets. I know a lot of attention is paid to PC Gaming, I just don't think journalists pay that same amount of attention to it.

Mrbob

Well thought out post I mostly agree with.

I think the rise of Youtube personalities is bringing forth big changes. Love him or hate him, TotalBiscuit is one of the best catalysts for modern PC game coverage. His WTF videos are great, and PC Gaming finally has a popular voice. Look what he did with One Finger Death Punch. The game shot up the steam charts after he posted his positive video. Outside of Rock Paper Shotgun and PC Gamer, I don't even consider the major websites anymore for PC coverage. I go to various Youtube channels. The broadening of content consumption has been a great thing to see.

I don't know if you have checked him out, but Jim Sterling has been doing a lot of PC game coverage on his personal Youtube channel.

DocSeuss

True, but I believe the reason that has happened in some cases is due to the ease of recording PC stuff. Console recording requires external hardware while PC stuff doesn't.

I'd argue that it's in part because PC games tend to focus way more on systems-driven design and simulation, as a result giving us more dynamic experiences that make for better content to record.

There's a distinct difference in console games, which tend to be very gamey and heavily score/rule-driven, as opposed to PC games, which have the aforementioned systemic approach.

That kinda got diluted as a lot of PC devs went to consoles, and even moreso as indie gaming became easier, and a bunch of people went "hey, I can use RPG maker/game maker studio to make a terrible JRPG clone/platformer!" Most indie games coming out these days tend to be inspired by SNES-style games.

The stuff that made computer gaming of the 90s/early-00s so special is pretty uncommon, in large part because people writing and talking about games have never really looked into that sim/game split. Doesn't help that an increasingly-literalist discourse about games has encouraged a lot of people to insist that games must be games and exist within those rulesets, rather than attempt to simulate virtual realities a la Looking Glass/Origin Studios/Ensemble/Maxis/Firaxis games.

I agree with you OP but were the first three paragraphs even necessary?

Think of it like "hey, I'm tired of X, I'm interested in Y, and Y is good, which is why we need to talk about Y more." Thematic intro.

solarus

Great post, agreed with the majority of it except the part about most pc versions of multiplatform games selling just as much as consoles. That's just not true, i'm sure they sell well on PC too but there is still a disparity there. The exceptions to the rule are not the norm (payday 2, etc), the majority of multiplatform games usually sell better on consoles than PCs (again not to say the pc version sells bad, it's just less than consoles).

DocSeuss

Great post, agreed with the majority of it except the part about pc versions of multiplatform games selling just as much. That's just not true, i'm sure they sell well on PC too but there is still a disparity there. The exceptions to the rule are not the norm (payday 2, etc), the majority of multiplatform games usually sell better on consoles than PCs (again not to say the pc version sells bad, it's just less than consoles).

Last gen, a fairly common trend based on what I saw was: 360 > PC > PS3. Biggest game to buck the trend was Call of Duty.

It's worth noting that the PC version always did way better if it used Steamworks (as opposed to something like Gamespy, see Borderlands vs Borderlands 2).

patapuf

That's true. When I think of game journalism though I am thinking about new outlets. I know a lot of attention is paid to PC Gaming, I just don't think journalists pay that same amount of attention to it.

Oh i agree, i just don't think "lack of an audience" explains why.

I much prefer docSeus explanation that the most popular PC games tend to be systemic, or overwhelmingly multiplayer focused.

Neither of these things review well and they require a significantly higher initial time invetment than say, playing through Uncharted. They usually also aren't focused on the release week but slowly developp over time. Wheras with a hyped AAA console release you will get an audience if you have a well timed early review/preview.

KJRS_1993

I think it's simply because that while the hardcore PC audience is VERY hardcore, it's also reasonably small compared to the console markets.
I guess most outlets don't really discuss it because their's not enough of an audience there.

PC gaming has definitely had a resurgence, which I mostly put down to Minecraft and partly due to the cheaper-than-ever-before prices and bargains, but all of those people who came for Minecraft won't stay to read the journalism behind it.

RerezDude

Well thought out post I mostly agree with.

I think the rise of Youtube personalities is bringing forth big changes. Love him or hate him, TotalBiscuit is one of the best catalysts for modern PC game coverage. His WTF videos are great, and PC Gaming finally has a popular voice. Look what he did with One Finger Death Punch. The game shot up the steam charts after he posted his positive video. Outside of Rock Paper Shotgun and PC Gamer, I don't even consider the major websites anymore for PC coverage. I go to various Youtube channels. The broadening of content consumption has been a great thing to see.

That's a good point. I think a lot of people do that now. Question for you though: Do you consider TotalBiscuit a journalist?

I'd argue that it's in part because PC games tend to focus way more on systems-driven design and simulation, as a result giving us more dynamic experiences that make for better content to record.

I actually agree with that. Minecraft is a great example of a game that gives a new experience every time you play it. That makes it way more fun to watch someone play.

see5harp

I do sympathize with not getting technical reviews of PC games since knowledge of performance and bugs are important to know for a platform that doesn't support rentals. Otherwise, I don't have a reason to care whether a reviewer specifically states that he/she played the PC version over a console version.

RerezDude

This... Isn't true.

In my own series I have noticed that videos I've made about console games have traditionally done better than PC game videos. I could even give examples of PC games I have covered that have done poorly but increased in viewership after the console version was released later on.

RedSwirl

There's just something about PC gaming that inherently pushes away the mainstream, even in situations where a PC game is actually quite accessible both in term of owning it and in terms of playing it.

Like right now, System Shock 2 is $5 on Steam and was recently made available on Linux (in addition to Mac). You no longer have to mod it up to get it running on today's computers, and it will run on shitty laptops. All you gotta do is just rebind the keys and you can go ahead and play one of the greatest games ever -- the best BioShock game basically. But BioShock fans will probably never notice it until it get's ported to a console.

its kinda odd that a small crew of giantbomb do tend to dabble in weird pc stuff and indie stuff more than most bigger sites.

based drew/vinny.

I don't see nearly the number (nor the level of fanfare) of press events for PC-only games. We have journos being flown out to Call of Duty review events and Ubisoft handing out tablets. I hate to be so cynical but what sort of swag gets handed out for PC games? Do PC devs show up to do shows at E3? What PC game (perhaps with the exception of Blizzard games) gets slapped on the label of a beverage or a bag of chips or something like that? Where is Stardock's "Nintendo Direct"?

Madness

And yet, there was a time when computer gaming got the larger end of the stick from media/journalists and consoles got the short end. Whether it was exposure in media like television and films, magazines, conventions etc. It's just the nature of the industry, sort of like how cable television gets all the awards and exposure compared to network television now.

RerezDude

its kinda odd that a small crew of giantbomb do tend to dabble in weird pc stuff and indie stuff more than most bigger sites.

based drew/vinny.

I think GiantBomb's roots of gamer centric content spawned a wider appreciation for PC games. The founders of the site didn't have to answer to a corporate head looking for viewing numbers. It gave them the ability to be more open with their chosen games and platforms.

The question now is: "Will GiantBomb change now that they have been purchased?"

KJRS_1993

There's just something about PC gaming that inherently pushes away the mainstream, even in situations where a PC game is actually quite accessible both in term of owning it and in terms of playing it..

The high initial cost doesn't help.
The argument could be made that it's cheaper in the long run etc etc etc, but the initial cost is way too high.
Another argument could be made "well build your own and reduce the price" but that is hugely intimidating to people who have never done it before.

Consoles, you buy it, you plug it in and bang, it works.
Sure the games might not look as nice or run as smoothly, but they definitely work.
The one thing the mainstream consumer "always" needs is convenience.
Consoles have it, PC's don't. (at least initially).

I know the US is very console focused... but by player numbers, the biggest games in the world are PC exclusives (though i guess some phone games might be even bigger).

The biggest games such as League of Legends for example can run well on a machine that isn't crazy powerful. It can run pretty well on any household PC.
It's the enthusiasts with high-end rigs who are a pretty niche audience.

patapuf

There's just something about PC gaming that inherently pushes away the mainstream, even in situations where a PC game is actually quite accessible both in term of owning it and in terms of playing it.

Like right now, System Shock 2 is $5 on Steam and was recently made available on Linux (in addition to Mac). You no longer have to mod it up to get it running on today's computers, and it will run on shitty laptops. All you gotta do is just rebind the keys and you can go ahead and play one of the greatest games ever -- the best BioShock game basically. But BioShock fans will probably never notice it until it get's ported to a console.

I know the US is very console focused... but by player numbers, the biggest games in the world are PC exclusives (though i guess some phone games might be even bigger).

Sentenza

Just anecdotally, I distinctly remember at least three or four previews/interviews for The Witcher 2 where the journalist's main concern seemed to be bothering the developers with pressing questions about when a console port was coming, without even caring about other topics.
And I remember founding it annoying as hell, of course, but my point right now is that this bias toward consoles is occasionally strikingly obvious.

Dario ff

Banned
In my own series I have noticed that videos I've made about console games have traditionally done better than PC game videos. I could even give examples of PC games I have covered that have done poorly but increased in viewership after the console version was released later on.
This is your channel, right? It seems like a very small sample size of subscribers and total views to be making those conclusions to be honest. The difference in views is quite minimal. Those differences are pretty normal at this scale.

I think GiantBomb's roots of gamer centric content spawned a wider appreciation for PC games. The founders of the site didn't have to answer to a corporate head looking for viewing numbers. It gave them the ability to be more open with their chosen games and platforms.

The question now is: "Will GiantBomb change now that they have been purchased?"

well there seems to be more pc stuff recently mainly because patrick does his indie game roundup on fridays and unprof fridays is all about cool indies and weird pc 'classics'.

GB been on the pc train for years now that you think about it. They openly talk shit about console versions of multiplat and openly tell readers to get the pc version if you can (other sites tend to downplay how much better pc versions are than the others, or don't even bother mentioning that stuff).

Coconut

Banned
I love PC gaming but I mean how many different ways can you review or talk about RTS and Adventure games until you start getting into "fans of the genre" kind of talk?
When you are dealing with PC games your already talking to a well informed group of people.

Heartfyre

As soon as you mentioned Shadow Warrior, I was firmly in agreement. I like to think I keep abreast of gaming news, I'm on GAF for crying out loud, but I would have never heard of Shadow Warrior, or even thought it was a decent title, if I weren't recommended it by a friend. I mean, it has a metacritic score of 73, which doesn't inspire confidence. I bought it for cheap, went in with low expectations, and it took me for a ride. My PC is getting on in years, but it still looked astounding, superb lighting, and the gunplay and swordplay had some of the best game-feel I've experienced in years. The storytelling reminded me of Bulletstorm in some ways, in that it appears infantile on the surface, but betrayed a much more thoughtful nature underneath it. It was one of the best games I had the joy to play last year, and it nearly passed me by.

I mean, I hadn't heard anything about Dragon Commander to make me interested in it before reading this thread. I looked up a couple of videos, and it looks absolutely glorious, and I know I'm going to have to check it out soon. Why don't these games get the attention they deserve? It may well be that they're PC exclusives, but might that be the sole cause? Perhaps it's due to developer pedigree. Larian have more of it, but still very nichey, but Flying Wild Hog only have Hard Reset, which met with a similarly quiet launch. Still not a good excuse.

I get the impression that Rock, Paper, Shotgun are really the best source to find out about these PC games, but that's at the cost of more widespread gaming coverage. I see no reason why PC games would be overlooked elsewhere, particularly when mobile games are given so much unnecessary attention. I would have thought a hardcore gaming website would be much better suited catering to PC gamers rather than mobile gamers.

And OP, do try your best to get to see a doctor soon. I've only heard bad stories from people who had left doctor-visits too late. All best.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

I think it could be useful to have a separate review for the PC version. It's always useful (and interesting too) to hear about the port quality, performance, compatibility with different setups (this may be a bit difficult to test, as it would require having several machines with different specs and OS each, but it would be incredibly informative to the reader), mod compatibility, amount of configuration options, how well it plays with keyboard and mouse (and if it features proper input icons, something that is sometimes overlooked) and probably many other things I'm forgetting about. It may not be the best seller version, but I believe there are enough differences between consoles and PC to give those games at least two reviews.

And yes, these mid-tier games totally deserve to be reviewed.

This is exactly what DocSeuss made the thread about. Journalists not giving PC games proper attention, to the point where they won't even review many of them.

iansherr

Neo Member
1) I've seen sales data that indicates otherwise... like how Payday 2 not only had the PC version dramatically outselling the console versions, but how it pulled a formerly console-exclusive developer, Starbreeze, out of ten years of debt in just two quarters. Projections from intel and nvidia (I know, I know, they're PC vendors, but still, they'd know) indicate PC gaming is going to continue to grow. Accounts on Steam have been increasing at a significantly higher rate than Xbox Live or PSN, with most accounts having people buying games...

All good points, but I'm looking at this from a higher vantage point. There are some examples where PC versions did better, but the larger industry trends aren't going in that direction. The Steam Machine may change that, but let's leave a question mark above it for now. Currently, most of the smart people in the room agree that PC game sales are still a fraction of consoles, and will be for the foreseeable future.

I'm not dumping on PCs or service platforms for them, but I'm trying to offer some perspective on that point.

2) Yup, many are released for both. But they're almost exclusively ignored on PC. How many people are out there reviewing a game saying "I reviewed the PC version?"

I don't write reviews, so this is a little out of my wheelhouse. But you make a good point here -- I overwhelmingly see console-focused reviews in the many I tend to read. Didn't Ars make a commitment a couple years ago to focus on PCs? I wonder where that went.

3) Absolutely, not enough people writing about mid-tier games is a thing. I'm sad that Betrayer, the best game I've played this year, has been almost entirely ignored by the press. But, again, it's more than that. It's all the random stuff that's just talking about twitter feeds and the like. It's people saying "yeah, I know that indie game is releasing a new trailer, but I'm not going to cover it regardless." How long does it take to write a few words or so saying "hey, so that indie game released a new trailer today, here it is. You may remember them from their Kickstarter a while back"? Not many. Sure, interviewing 'em might be a bit less of a priority, but still, I think it's worth doing.

This is again getting a little out of my wheelhouse, since I make an active effort not to be promotional in my coverage, but I'm curious why posts about trailers matter to anyone other than the companies and their PR agencies who meticulously track this type of thing. Do you want to see the game succeed and so you believe additional coverage (even a paragraph and a YouTube link) will do that?

Consider another aspect of this: A lot of indies (and particularly small ones) do not employ PR people. PR people have databases and blast lists and know which reporters cover what, etc. Of course, reporters need to go out and learn about these types of games on their own, but there's only so much time in a day.

I'm talking about coverage here. Overall coverage. Flat-out refusal to even look into certain PC exclusive games (or ignore them), while simultaneously having no issue talking about some dumb tweet from Kojima or something like that.

This I take issue with. I think you're assuming that correlation and causation. Unless a journalist has said they flat out refuse, my guess is that they don't have resources to cover every turn of the screw for every game.

Much of this isn't, either. Unless you're a relic of the NPD era, which is fairly meaningless when it comes to how much money is made in games in general but especially the PC space.

I'm not a relic of anything. Have you read my NPD coverage? Or any other times I cite game sales data? Nearly all the time now, I include a lot more data than just NPD, and I'm constantly looking out for new sources of information (like SuperData, PwC, and comments from companies themselves). I've made a concerted effort to offer the broadest view of the market possible.

That said, if you have any specific details or insights to share about they way I've covered the economics of the industry, I'm all ears--I'm always looking to improve the way I write these stories.

RerezDude

This is your channel, right? It seems like a very small sample size of subscribers and total views to be making those conclusions to be honest. The difference in views is quite minimal.

I don't have the largest channel in the world, I'll admit that. However with over 300,000 views I see most of that coming from console games. PC games I have covered just don't bring in the views. Doesn't mean I would stop doing them, it's just a thing I noticed.

patapuf

The biggest games such as League of Legends for example can run well on a machine that isn't crazy powerful. It can run pretty well on any household PC.
It's the enthusiasts with high-end rigs who are a pretty niche audience.

I'm aware that you don't need high end machines to play the popular PC games.

You don't need it for WoW, or MInecraft or League of Legends or the Sims..

Basically, the mainstream.... Which was my point. PC games are mainstream. It's not necessarily the same audience as the console audience, but the overall market is almost as big as all consoles combined. You can't be much more mainstream than that.

Duster

I'm bothered about retro computer gaming is often ignored, I know this is often due to websites being understandably American centric but it's an important part of videogame history.

You see it most in discussions about the videogame crash that don't take into account the fact Europe wasn't as badly effected, or people pointing out that NES games were far more expensive than today's titles whilst ignoring something like the C64 budget range.

Sentenza

All good points, but I'm looking at this from a higher vantage point. There are some examples where PC versions did better, but the larger industry trends aren't going in that direction.
But you're wrong. That's exactly where they are going.

most of the smart people in the room agree that PC game sales are still a fraction of consoles, and will be for the foreseeable future.
Hard data tell us otherwise.
It could be argued that sales for specific titles tend to be higher on consoles (which isn't even a constant, by the way) but the amount of gaming software sold as a whole is an entirely different story.

Wereroku

1) I've seen sales data that indicates otherwise... like how Payday 2 not only had the PC version dramatically outselling the console versions, but how it pulled a formerly console-exclusive developer, Starbreeze, out of ten years of debt in just two quarters. Projections from intel and nvidia (I know, I know, they're PC vendors, but still, they'd know) indicate PC gaming is going to continue to grow. Accounts on Steam have been increasing at a significantly higher rate than Xbox Live or PSN, with most accounts having people buying games....
Where did you get this from Starbreeze has never released the platform split only that 80% of the sales were digital. Anyway I agree that alot of it comes from the media only focusing on big release titles and ignoring medium to small titles. Maybe with the shift in indies on console it may make sites reevaluate how they cover games for pc. Unfortunately there is only so much time and web space so coverage will always be limited.

Top Bottom