• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conan Exiles Early Access |OT| You shall be my Thrall

molnizzle

People were already playing with controllers in here AFAIK. Seems it's also being developed for console so that's a focus.

Ah, nice. Steam page didn't list controller support in BPM so I wasn't aware it had been added already.

Wait, this is a game that involves glorifying slavery? Like, you can take slaves and force them to work for you?

And it came out on the first day of Black History Month?

Seems pretty disrespectful.

It's always been a part of the Conan fiction... but now that you mention it, the release date is suspicious as fuck...

antonz

pretty sure that having slaves is going to give corruption points. and those better have negatives

Corruption reduces your health etc. and its a percentage of health so as you level the corruption levels with you. So important to have dancers etc. to heal corruption

KyleCross

I'm seeing streams of this on Twitch and male and female characters are running around naked, and Twitch is cool with it? That's... pretty awesome lol. They never allowed nude mods tho.

derFeef

Okay two people in the discord and ~0 people in the server for the last 12 hours, that's pretty disappointing ;)
Was the server situation getting better? Or is it still "on/off". ?

Sarcasm

I'm seeing streams of this on Twitch and male and female characters are running around naked, and Twitch is cool with it? That's... pretty awesome lol. They never allowed nude mods tho.

Typically if its part of the game it okay.

If it is modded in, it is not.

Some exceptions of course.

Okay two people in the discord and ~0 people in the server for the last 12 hours, that's pretty disappointing ;)

We tried GAF servers in different survival games and it only worked the first go round in rust. It was amazing but we made it a public server. GAF usually doesn't have enough members to carry them on their own.

KyleCross

Typically if its part of the game it okay.

If it is modded in, it is not.

Some exceptions of course.
Their policy is nudity in games is allowed if the game has it, but can't be the focus. So you can't stream GTAV if all you're doing is getting lap dances. Are they making an exception with this game?

Steez

So this is my first time trying an Early Access title and really this type of survival game. I guess it's fun and I can totally see the appeal for the first 20 hours or so. It's also playable enough although my jank resistance is probably way higher than average since I grew up with games like Gothic.

Kinda curious how and where the devs take this game.

It's always been a part of the Conan fiction... but now that you mention it, the release date is suspicious as fuck...

Yep, devs are racists in hiding and they just waited for BHM to release this.

GAF's gonna GAF...

We tried GAF servers in different survival games and it only worked the first go round in rust. It was amazing but we made it a public server. GAF usually doesn't have enough members to carry them on their own.

Right, white list recruitment will have to be a thing. I'm sure there's plenty of people out there who would love to play on a white-listed slightly more amicable server.

derFeef

I guess that's a good point. I don't see any reason why GAF members are not playing on it though, having the password and all.
(outside of technical reasons)

I have little experience gathering a GAF community for certain games, but everytime someone says "let's have a GAF group (or wahtever)" it never works out, lol.

Dude I already told you the server wouldn't show up and the Steam server list showed it as not responding. Plus the vanilla server settings aren't well balanced imo.

Wait, this is a game that involves glorifying slavery? Like, you can take slaves and force them to work for you?

And it came out on the first day of Black History Month?

Seems pretty disrespectful.

You can enslave any colour person.

Sarcasm

I guess that's a good point. I don't see any reason why GAF members are not playing on it though, having the password and all.
(outside of technical reasons)

I have little experience gathering a GAF community for certain games, but everytime someone says "let's have a GAF group (or wahtever)" it never works out, lol.

I am waiting a few days before purchasing.

derFeef

A new patch has been deployed.

Removed network congestion from big buildings, reducing lag
Disabled random NPC taunts during combat
Fixed an issue with some players getting stuck after character creation
Fixed a bug where loading screens disappear (showing main menu or the world)
Fixed incorrect settings on port values for servers, making it less likely you will be disconnected when entering a new server
Added a “Show full servers” checkbox to the server window
Introduced a possible fix for building pieces not loading properly
Graphics driver check on startup, encouraging you to update if needed
Several other minor tweaks and improvements

Also the GAF server will be offline for the time being since I got a new solution for us (thanks to an awesome fellow GAFer).

Great to see more patches, I think they said they're going to release one every day. If they're fixing NPCs they ought to fix the animation bug where they stay in their idle stance even when they are moving.

ISee

How is performance btw? Is it as bad as ARK? Is it reasonable?

My rig:
6700/1070/16gb ram
1440p display

derFeef

Aaand we have a new server, with 20 slots and vanilla settings for now - I will do some adjusments later! I am going to leave it without password for now.
Thanks to EloKa for the great help and donation :)

Just connect here: steam://connect/81.30.153.125:27015
Or search for
Official NeoGAF Community Server - hosted by Dawn-Server.de

I set it to roleplaying, that will help with the community hopefully.

EDIT: and a new patch! hence the automatic server restart.

You will now be able to click through on screen popup messages
It will no longer be possible to destroy Sandstone buildings with Stone or Iron Weapons. Steel weapons will still be able to destroy them.
It will no longer be possible to destroy Stonebrick buildings with Iron or steel weapons. It will require explosives to destroy them
Weapons found in chests will not be able to hurt Sandstone buildings.
Projectiles (Arrows) will no longer do damage to buildings of any type.
We have added a ”Player List" GUI to the admin panel. Admins will be able to use this to get a list of all the players currently connected to their server. From this list they will be able to ban unwelcome players from their server.

btw. that was the cave I saw but did not dare to enter earlier:
6B6DC1361B6211B8EE6438E418A8EC301BDC8DE6

Chris_C

Aaand we have a new server, with 20 slots and vanilla settings for now - I will do some adjusments later! I am going to leave it without password for now.
Thanks to EloKa for the great help and donation :)

Just connect here: steam://connect/81.30.153.125:27015
Or search for

I set it to roleplaying, that will help with the community hopefully.

EDIT: and a new patch! hence the automatic server restart.

btw. that was the cave I saw but did not dare to enter earlier:

Cool, thank you. I'll hop on in a couple of hours to see if the game's for me. Out of curiosity, what are server running costs like?

Pangur

Neo Member
I started renting a 30 slot server, it has been an absolute nightmare trying to connect to it. Never again.

derFeef

Im pretty sure that if you try to search for the gaf server by name it doesn't show up.

It shows up but it takes a while. Use the steam client built in server browser and add it manually to the favourites, that works more realiably and faster!

Kard8p3

It shows up but it takes a while. Use the steam client built in server browser and add it manually to the favourites, that works more realiably and faster!

Yeah that's what I've been doing, I was just wanting to draw attention to the issue, but I'm glad to hear it does eventually show up!

How is the game performance wise compared to ARK (they both use the same engine)?
Is it more optimised than ARK? Can you max it out more easily?

Chris_C

How is the game performance wise compared to ARK (they both use the same engine)?
Is it more optimised than ARK? Can you max it out more easily?

I've never played ARK, but I've seen a near locked 1080p/60 so far on my GTX 1070, 16GB Ram and a Core i5 4570. (Still right at the beginning of the game tho).

derFeef

Once you reach the oasis the framerate is going to tank. But I expect the game to not have any optimization done yet,

derFeef

Two new patches over night. Latest one.

Optimized network traffic which should help with performance
Server crash fix
Server hang fix
Made saving and loading of game state more robust
Added additional troubleshooting information to the server logs
Sacrificed a chicken on the Alter of Set

Thatsuper

Banned
A patch a day is going to cause incompatibilities with servers, they should do it weekly.

Naw the things they have been working on are things that should be patched in as soon as they have a solution.Balance and content is fine for weekly patches but performance is a ASAP thing or people will stop playing.

Vic_Viper

how do I set the game to connect to the GAF server (or any server for that matter) without having to search for it? Usually cant find it by searching anyway and I dont see anywhere to put in that IP server address.

I know this is in Early Access, but its super EA lol. They really probably should have waited a few months before releasing it in this state. The game looks awesome when it does run from videos ive seen. But I havent been able to play it without horrible lag or horrible glitches. Glad the game is doing so well, really like the Conan ip and will be playing alot once it runs well. But I might just wait a few months myself before actually trying to play for long periods.

Had a much better experience today after patching. Its still not perfect but its a huge improvement.

how do I set the game to connect to the GAF server (or any server for that matter) without having to search for it? Usually cant find it by searching anyway and I dont see anywhere to put in that IP server address.

Use Steam's Server direct connect method, quote one of the earlier posts above for the IP.

oktarb

I have failed miserably to connect to the Gaf server. Never shows up on search and dirct server connect nets zip.

Eunoia

Neo Member
What are the general thoughts/feelings concerning the game? I'm tempted to give it a try together with a friend. I know I shouldn't expect a polished experience but at its core, is there something there?

What are the general thoughts/feelings concerning the game? I'm tempted to give it a try together with a friend. I know I shouldn't expect a polished experience but at its core, is there something there?

Base building is a ton of fun and I would say the game's strongest point right now. Combat isn't that great, graphics are pretty good, sound design could do with work, performance is great and the resource management is great too if you like inventory management. Right now the worst aspect of the game is the combat or AI, they just aren't good compared to other features. Also the full nudity options are nice (and hilarious).

Verfault

Anyone happen to know of any good servers? I was on MMOrpg.com's pve server but people keep blocking whole paths and placing single blocks around people to be jerks. Im looking for a server of adults that know how to act like adults. PVP is fine but would rather PVE. I dont find any skill to destroying peoples bases while theyre offline which is most of these pvp servers right now.

Verfault

The game is great when its not lagging, rubberbanding or people griefing (Which is constantly on almost every server) The Thrall system is a great idea but as of right now there is no animations for your thrall thats attached to a crafting station. The game really does suffer the same problems as most other builders and thats a toxic community. If you can find a server with like minded adults it can be really fun.

derFeef

Anyone happen to know of any good servers? I was on MMOrpg.com's pve server but people keep blocking whole paths and placing single blocks around people to be jerks. Im looking for a server of adults that know how to act like adults. PVP is fine but would rather PVE. I dont find any skill to destroying peoples bases while theyre offline which is most of these pvp servers right now.

You could try our own GAF server ;)
https://topconanservers.com/server/81.30.153.125:27015

Chris_C

I was on the GAF server for a couple of hours earlier today and had a good time learning the ropes. I noticed someone's already started building a mega-base into a cliff side (where I'd been eyeing, ha!)

I certainly hope the server isn't going anywhere any time soon. I noticed it seems empty most of the time. I'd much rather play with GAFfers than rando's.

Top Bottom