• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concept Artwork For "Epic Mickey"

Status
Not open for further replies.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
StormyTheRabbit said:
I have the story figured out. 1 month Ban bet.

The old, lesser known toons are rising up against Mickey for whatever reason. Jealousy, thinking he locked them away in the Vault, etc.

BUT

See in the picture below? They are building or somehow about to use a HUGE thing of Paint Thinner. ...

THEY ARE GOING TO TAKE ALL THE COLOR AWAY. REVERT BACK TO THE OLD TOON STYLE. REMOVE ALL COLOR AWAY FROM THE WORLD AND YOU WILL PAINT IT BACK ON WITH THE WII REMOTE. WHICH EXPLAINS THE PAINTING ASPECT.

I'm sure platforming will come into play a bit as well.

MARK MY WORDS.

http://i31.tinypic.com/2e3u34x.jpg

I dunno, I actually think you're actually helping the old characters. Notice how out of all the artwork we've seen, all the disgusting mutations of Br'er Bear and Tigger and Jafar and Goofy and Donald, the only ones who have remained unchanged and squeaky clean are these old black and white characters on the beach there, Horace Horsecollar and the like.

This could be way way far into the future, where Disney's rule over materialistic value and merchandise and corrupted practices has produced this nasty world, and the old characters have had enough of the newer generation of characters forgetting their roots, so maybe they are attempting to destroy it all with the paint thinner so they would have no choice but to reboot the entire Disney world from a clean start again - and your job is to go through and remove all the badness and corrupted visions so it can happen again.

...maybe it's even a metaphor for what Disney themselves want people to do, considering how tainted the Disney image has been recently due to sequelitis and the like.

(Hey if everyone is going to jump into batshit theory territory I want in too!)

AniHawk said:

Oh so THAT'S where that doctor came from - he was a boss in Mickey Mania.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SovanJedi said:
Oh so THAT'S where that doctor came from - he was a boss in Mickey Mania.

Yeah I just watched that level on YouTube (clicked through Related Videos), it seemed very close to the cartoon (falling bridge planks, the Mad Docter himself.)

Tyrant_Onion said:
I've never seen the Mad Doctor before but it would've been my favourite cartoon ever when I was younger.

So much nostalgia came racing back when I watched it. My mom must have just taped it because it was the only thing on the one VHS tape I would always watch. Wasn't even scary to me as a kid. I would always watch it with my dog to :lol

2e3u34x.jpg

My first thought when seeing this was that the new Disney characters have been bastardized so much that they have started to loose there appeal and "mutate" for lack of a better word. Then Mickey, or who ever the villain is, decides to go mine ( get it ;) ;) ) all the old characters to see if he can recreate the charm and success of the old days.

The fleet washes up on shore and climbs out of the water, disfigured foul thing who have long forgotten the joy they once brought to the world. Now all they know is to obey their master, grabbing the old characters and placing them inside of themselves for transport back from whence they came.

Anth0ny

Okay this game seriously looks fucking amazing. What a great, unique concept.

I can't wait to actually see some footage.

Now it's back to how the Wii doesn't have better graphics than Xbox 360 and PS3 talk :(

When do you guys think we will get more news about this game? I want to see it in motion on the Wii :D

FoneBone

Shadowlink said:
Now it's back to how the Wii doesn't have better graphics than Xbox 360 and PS3 talk :(

When do you guys think we will get more news about this game? I want to see it in motion on the Wii :D
Judging by that Disney interactive interview, it's still pretty early. I don't expect to see anything official until 2010.

Spike

Shadowlink said:

The only problem I have with it being a Wii exclusive is that it limits the amount of exposure that the game will get. It should be available to play for anyone on any platform. Warren deserves that much!

Seeing that Disney VP say that Junction Point will have all the time it needs, makes me think we won't be seeing or hearing much for a long while. My guess is that this game either comes out next fall, or early 2011. :(

I'm convinced that the story for Epic Mickey will have to do with you restoring the world somehow. It's the only way.

Like maybe "creativity" is a natural resource or something and they've run out of it, so they're forced to re-purpose existing technology for whatever reason (which is why we see so many things seemingly created out of the leftover parts of old Disneyland rides).

The paint thinner image is full of a lot of interesting ideas. "Dip" from Roger Rabbit comes to mind, and it seems that there is a single pipe connected to top of the jug siphoning out in to the lake...

Could that be an entire lake of paint thinner? Maybe that would explain why you see the "Magic Kingdom" castle way in the background, but it's so high up - paint thinner, much like acid, ate away at the land.

boiled goose

good with gravy
sn00zer said:
Wii cannot recreate this concept art in realtime with the same graphic fidelity as a PS3 or Xbox360.

this means you want this game to be a PC exclusive right?
multiplatform console versions would probably limit the games graphical potential.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
amtentori said:
this means you want this game to be a PC exclusive right?
multiplatform console versions would probably limit the games graphical potential.
this is one weak-ass argument, right here

I wish people would stop using it.

It's not unreasonable for people to want a game with a visual presentation and scope comparable to other big budget games that they've become accustomed to playing on the PS3/360 over the past few years. The Wii can't provide that. It's not trolling, it's just fact.

The whole, "oh, I guess you want it for PC" argument is silly. Well, yeah, I'd love it for PC, it'd look so much nicer, but that's not a standard that the majority of the gaming populace (whatever that means) have come to accept yet.

Linkified

electristan said:
2e3u34x.jpg

My first thought when seeing this was that the new Disney characters have been bastardized so much that they have started to loose there appeal and "mutate" for lack of a better word. Then Mickey, or who ever the villain is, decides to go mine ( get it ;) ;) ) all the old characters to see if he can recreate the charm and success of the old days.

The fleet washes up on shore and climbs out of the water, disfigured foul thing who have long forgotten the joy they once brought to the world. Now all they know is to obey their master, grabbing the old characters and placing them inside of themselves for transport back from whence they came.

Why are 3 of the seven drawfs coming through the water like giant subs. This both scares me and delights me. I'm suprised Disnewy green lighted the project.

laserbeam

Banned
June 7th 2009

"Warren's hard at work. He has a team working on a great project. We're going to show it when it's right and ready. We're very encouraged by what we're seeing. I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised." - Disney's Graham Hopper

laserbeam said:
June 7th 2009

"Warren's hard at work. He has a team working on a great project. We're going to show it when it's right and ready. We're very encouraged by what we're seeing. I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised." - Disney's Graham Hopper

:O

Anyway, I believe this is the first time I've posted in this thread, and I have to say I REALLY hope this lives in some way. I don't care what platform...I mean, this could be pretty epic in 2D as well, I think some people might be forgetting about that.

/gasm.

careful

StormyTheRabbit said:
Honestly. I could care less what the gameplay like is at this point. I just want to be immersed in this world.
Yeah, I would actually prefer an animated movie set in this world. Would be unbelievable.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Ah! good, this topic popped up again.

You know what else would be freaky disturbing? Is if all the Disney Princesses (Jasmine, Belle, Aurora, Snow White etc.) appeared in the game as wraith/siren things, kind of like the sirens in God of War, all floating around with limp bodies and ginormous toothy mouths and rotting faces and screaming until your head exploded.

Mr. Epic Mickey dev, you're free to take that design and use it to your will. No credit needed.

Yours,
Sovan Jedi

Noshino

SovanJedi said:
Ah! good, this topic popped up again.

You know what else would be freaky disturbing? Is if all the Disney Princesses (Jasmine, Belle, Aurora, Snow White etc.) appeared in the game as wraith/siren things, kind of like the sirens in God of War, all floating around with limp bodies and ginormous toothy mouths and rotting faces and screaming until your head exploded.

Mr. Epic Mickey dev, you're free to take that design and use it to your will. No credit needed.

Yours,
Sovan Jedi

Although I would love to see it, that's about a 1/4 of their catalog, and they are the ones featured the most at their stores/parks, little girls (and women that still like them) would go nuts if this happens :lol

On second thought

DO IT DISNEY :lol

Roto13

You guys realize this game isn't going to be nearly as dark as this concept art might lead you to believe, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom