• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confessions from purported ex-EA Viral Marketer who knows their M&A strategy somehow

GavinGT

Banned
This is just crazy.

Anyways, I'm off to play some Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. I sure love being a Call of Duty Elite member!

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Well even he presents it as some vague comment he heard from his boss, not real legit information.

I doubt even his boss would know, but who knows. I had a friend who worked for Gamestop back when it was EB. He would get fed misinformation from the main reps (nintendo, sony, MS) all the time. They knew shit would be repeated and then disseminated among his patrons and then to their friends. Anything to hype their product or cause doubt in the competition. Fun stuff.

I have no problem believing a few board denizens are viral marketers. I have a harder time believing any of them are privy to any real substantial information about the company, sales and acquisitions and that sort of thing.

Depends on how they work: their team structures and the like. A well-coordinated marketing plan would include things like the diatribution of pre-prepared talking points about upcoming announcements, topics to avoid etc. so everyone stays on message.

While I have a hard time believing the people on the ground would be privy to huge financial decisions like acquisitions, but people do hear rumours.

stupei

I can't imagine a Viral Marketer having inside information on who EA is going to buy out next. Information like that would probably be above his pay grade. Most of these viral types are low level employees who are hired to shill out on message boards while they pretend to be fan boys.

Yeah, seems suspicious, unless he was specifically supposed to talk up said company while also doom and glooming their prospects so that when EA pick them up it's "yay EA, you saved a company we all admire that would have no chance without you!"

I guess something like that could be possible?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I honestly don't know why Plants are sent if devs already post here.

Because they don't serve the same function during a PR push. One is a public face, with a known reputation. The other is a bottom-feeding pile of puke masquerading as a community member who serves only to create disinformation that can't be directly traced back to the company while the devs (far and few in between) garner the adoration of a sycophantic public.

That's amazing.

I honestly never thought that Neogaf was a prized target for PR.

Of course it is. A gaming-centric board with an immense presence online. We're a contained audience, with each thread representing a particular interest that is well cultivated and usually forced (due to moderation policies) to discuss, in great detail why we like/dislike certain games. We're also prime for viral marketing because we're choke full of members who don't believe marketing has any affect on them whatsoever.

ToxicAdam

That's why I only buy games after they have been out for 1-2 years. Cuts out all the bullshit impressions and paid-for reviews that games get right around launch.

I wonder how many there are on GAF. Quite a few, I'd be willing to wager, from all companies.

Sounds like a pretty cushy job though.

Because they don't serve the same function during a PR push. One is a public face, with a known reputation. The other is a bottom-feeding pile of puke masquerading as a community member who serves only to create disinformation that can't be directly traced back to the company while the devs (far and few in between) garner the adoration of a sycophantic public.

Tell me more as I sit back and drink my ice-cold, brand-new Pepsi Next! To hear you better, I am wearing Dr. Dre's Beats, by Dr. Dre.

Jhriad

I wonder how many there are on GAF. Quite a few, I'd be willing to wager, from all companies.

Sounds like a pretty cushy job though.

I can't imagine it pays well. Then again who couldn't use some extra income... Man, Dragon's Dogma sure looks good! Gonna pre-order now!

The 8 Remaining Worst Company In America Contenders Sure Are An Elite Bunch!

http://static1.consumerist.com/wcia_bracket_2012_round3.png[IMG]

SCHEDULE OF ROUND 3 BOUTS:
March 27
* Bank of America vs. Ticketmaster
* PayPal vs. Walmart

March 28
* 10:00 a.m. ET: Facebook vs. AT&T
[B]* Noon ET: Comcast vs. EA[/B]

[url]http://consumerist.com/2012/03/the-8-remaining-worst-company-in-america-contenders-are-an-elite-bunch.html[/url][/QUOTE]

The absolute worst customer service experience I've ever had in my life was with Barnes and Noble, so I'm kind of not interested in this entire list.

fates

Not sure if I buy this. I mean, I'm sure viral marketing occurs... but Andromeda always came off as a (n effective) troll. Started posting in the height of /v/'s anti-TOR phase. Perfect way to troll is to be the one trip using voice to go against the horde.

Topping that off, /v/ is always under the impression they are being marketed to... so much that the phrase "viral marketing" and the word "viral" got ban-filtered. To come out and say "yeah I viraled" will instantly get attention given the paranoia.

Of all the places to viral on, /v/ really seems to be the worse since a lot of the board openly admits to pirating their games.

There was also the time an "Atlus employee" was posting there, saying they were gonna release Valkyria Chronicles 3...

:(

I can't imagine it pays well. Then again who couldn't use some extra income... Man, Dragon's Dogma sure looks good! Gonna pre-order now!

But... Dragon's Dogma looks awesome :(

Have you ever played HAZE though?! It's a first party SONY game on PLAYSTATION 3. Check it out, it's AWESOME! :p

Tookay

Not sure why we're taking this guy at face value. I don't doubt that EA (or any major video game company) has a bunch of viral marketers, but this whole story in particular seems a little shady. Dropping that little bomb about some new secret acquisition that we'll all hate at first sounds like juicy insider info, but it just seems like a ploy to get people riled up. Why would anyone in marketing know?

And I really can't believe they'd hire 560 viral marketers... that's ridiculous.

BUY ANARCHY REIGNS

BAYONETTA

YEAH

PLATINUM GAMES

YEAH

IT'S IN YOUR BRAIN NOW, SON

seriously, please work

Pfft, it has no effect on me in particular, I'm already aware of the greatness that is Bayonetta..

...and a host of other SEGA® published games like VANQUISH™ and BINARY DOMAIN™ :)

Mechazawa

"EA can't make quality games to save their life"

"No legitimate defense for TOR"

This dude is either way too hung up about previously working for EA or hanging around /v/ so much got to him because his posts are seriously no different than any of the other garbage that you'll read about EA wading through that place.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I suppose if you are going to spend all your time verbally fellating the latest mediocre exclusive/blockbuster/AAA MEGAFLOP game from company x/y/z then you may as well get paid for it. The people that, for free, spend hours every day posting negative, inaccurate nonsense about games that they have never played on systems they will never own, are not only more irritating but they have a far greater detrimental impact on game discussion.

Ideally the trolls and the marketers will suddenly forget how to access the internet but that's not going to happen so my own ability to separate truth from bullshit, my mental list of 'Overzealous fans with irrefutably bad taste' and ignore buttons will have to do for now.

and lets go right through the looking glass.

what if he's a viral marketer for Activision? think about it. defend the indefensable, worst games and decisions of your competitor before coming out and saying that they paid you to do it because they do evil stuff like that.

not that i don't think companies do actually viral market, but i just think that would be funny.

fates

what if he's a viral marketer for Activision? think about it. defend the indefensable, worst games and decisions of your competitor before coming out and saying that they paid you to do it because they do evil stuff like that.

allthatviral.jpg

Kwixotik

I'm inclined to believe the guy, given his apparent history of promoting EA games and Origin so heavily, even giving away free games en masse. And he's doesnt necessarily have to be privy to information about corporate buyouts for his boss to cryptically allude to one in the near future in a casual conversation.

I remember back when I used to frequent /v/, I got accused of being a viral marketer by some people because I made and posted a survey with live updating graphs of the results. They were fairly innocent/unusable questions about sexual orientation, past relationships, living conditions, etc lol.

I think the craze/accusations are very overblown, even meme status there, but I'm confident viral marketing is widespread. I've accepted that as reality and it doesn't seriously bother me until the marketers start spouting and popularizing outright lies/misinformation about their own games and rival games.

Overall, however, I think rabid fan boys and personal attacks are more damaging to the gaming community. Marketers can try all they want, but they're never going to convince any significant number of people that Day 1 DLC or unerasable save files are good things. And if I know GAF, any outright lies spread by marketers will be drowned out by legitimate discussion. Most of the time, anyway.

Top Bottom