• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Congressional Democrats to file emoluments lawsuit against Trump

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...a519335381c_story.html?utm_term=.1e8b16e3065c

Nearly 200 Democratic members of Congress agreed to file a lawsuit Wednesday against President Trump alleging that by retaining interests in a global business empire he has violated constitutional restrictions on taking gifts and benefits from foreign leaders.

The lead senator filing the complaint in federal district court, Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), said Tuesday that the lawsuit has already drawn more congressional plaintiffs — 196 — than any legal action previously taken against a president. No Republicans had joined in the lawsuit so far, although they will be invited to do so, Blumenthal said.

An advance copy of the legal complaint reviewed by The Washington Post argues that those in Congress have special standing because the Constitution’s “foreign emoluments clause” requires the president to obtain “the consent of Congress” before accepting any gifts.

The legal effort, led in the House by Rep. John Conyers Jr. (D-Mich.), is likely to escalate tensions between the White House and Capitol Hill, where at least five committees are investigating various issues related to the Trump administration.

News of the lawsuit emerged less than 24 hours after attorneys general in the District and Maryland, both Democrats, filed suit alleging that payments to Trump violated the Constitution’s anti-corruption clauses. In another lawsuit filed against Trump by business competitors, the Justice Department recently defended Trump’s actions, arguing that he violated no restrictions by accepting fair-market payments for services.

Keep it up. Keep pounding him from all sides. He will break.

the image in my head

giphy.gif

It's awesome to see the Democrats actually fighting back. It's like Nintendo making a good Zelda game and 2 Metroids post-Wii U failure.

Cagey

Banned
Now THIS suit is big news because of the standing hurdle the nonprofit won't meet and Maryland/DC likely won't but Congressmen as plaintiffs (as opposed to impeachment) may.

I hate to be a wet blanket here, but Congress may have a standing issue. Maryland and D.C. probably have a better standing argument in their recent lawsuit.

mnannola

This seems pretty cut and dry to me. Dude still has interests in businesses that take in foreign money. Not really sure how this could be disproven unless he gives up interests in those businesses.

ascii42

I hate to be a wet blanket here, but Congress may have a standing issue. Maryland and D.C. probably have a better standing argument in their recent lawsuit.
Right, this is what they are going with
An advance copy of the legal complaint reviewed by The Washington Post argues that those in Congress have special standing because the Constitution’s “foreign emoluments clause” requires the president to obtain “the consent of Congress” before accepting any gifts.
I suppose Congress could vote on it or something.

Lil Marco

Banned
Between this, the Russia investigation (and the media covering it 24/7 making sure justice gets served), and the federal courts blocking any unconstitutional, borderline nazi-esque executive orders, we are truly seeing the beauty of checks and balances and how the system is designed to protect its citizens/electorates in the event that they foolishly elect a fascist into office.

Eventually something's gotta give and he'll either a) be forced to resign, but he'll play it off egotistically as if he's doing us a favor or b) impeachment and possibly even criminal charges

So, if I'm reading this right, all it would take to make this go away would be the GOP run Congress saying "yeah, we're okay with what he's doing", right?

That's not encouraging.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
So, if I'm reading this right, all it would take to make this go away would be the GOP run Congress saying "yeah, we're okay with what he's doing", right?

That's not encouraging.

Then they have to publicly admit to endorsing corruption.

That's not encouraging.

The GOP will surely argue that by not voting on it, Congress is implicitly consenting to it.

The GOP will surely argue that by not voting on it, Congress is implicitly consenting to it.

Except the emoluments clause requires EXPLICIT consent not implicit consent.

The GOP has to either explicitly authorize each and every foreign payment Trump receives or pass a bill stating that Trump can receive payments for all his foreign companies, which would have to be archived and put on record as something that those republican congressmen and senators voted for.

numble

How does Maryland and D.C. have better standing than Congress (and you said Congress, not legislators in their individual capacity)?

I greatly appreciate this, but I don't know if anything concrete would come out of it, but I mean a boy could hope Republicans would actually want to protect the Constitution.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Between this, the Russia investigation (and the media covering it 24/7 making sure justice gets served), and the federal courts blocking any unconstitutional, borderline nazi-esque executive orders, we are truly seeing the beauty of checks and balances and how the system is designed to protect its citizens/electorates in the event that they foolishly elect a fascist into office.

Eventually something's gotta give and he'll either a) be forced to resign, but he'll play it off egotistically as if he's doing us a favor or b) impeachment and possibly even criminal charges

This is very true.

Link

The Autumn Wind

While true, he's still managing to do a lot of damage that will take years, if not decades, to recover from.

I wish our media was better. I really, really wish they were.

the media has been the ones to break all this shit. generalizing them as apathetic or somehow illegitimate is the wrong approach.
Don't get me wrong, they've done some solid work, but they're not universally heroes. The way cable media reports news is still very sensationalized with ratings remaining their top priority. Print media has fared better in general but they reach substantially fewer people.

Lil Marco

Banned
While true, he's still managing to do a lot of damage that will take years, if not decades, to recover from.

The most direct damage his cabinet is doing is sabotaging the environment and the education system.

For environment, local/state governments (developed states, not red shitholes), the rest of the world + the private sector is accelerating forward into the future while the next administration will slowly put everything back together on the federal level. Meanwhile the future of humanity hangs in the midst lolz.

As for education, that's a tough nut to crack but it's something that unfortunately the next admin has to clean up and start over again with.

I am confident that we can pick up the pieces and repair as quickly as these nazis tore it down.

I wish our media was better. I really, really wish they were.

The MSM is doing an excellent job of handling the Russia situation and not letting it be forgotten. I'm pretty sure after the election results a bunch of media execs (who are left-leaning) got together in a boardroom and decided to essentially use all their journalistic power to dig up as much dirt on the cabinet in hopes of triggering an impeachment trial.

They're doing God's work.

All of you need to a) drive electric (or hybrid at the very least) and drastically lower your beef consumption and b) vote in 2018 if you want to help save the western world.

I know it's likely that the Dems are biding their time to let Trump dig a deep enough hole to not be able to escape from before they use up all their ammo to take back seats, but I'm glad to see they are finally doing something besides taking the passive approach.

We can't all wait till mid term elections while DT continues trying to fuck shit up for everyone.

Good work. Make the GOP vote, and go on record that it's okay for the president to be for sale (as long as he's Republican).

I hope to hear about it 1,000 times in the next few elections. That, and Jimmy Carter's peanut farm. And please let it help get some of these corrupt scumbags out of office.

Especially Trump, of course.

I guess my faith in them is pretty low. I'm not totally convinced that's much of an obstacle for them. They are already tacitly doing so. They publicly admit to doing monsterous things quite frequently.

Top Bottom