• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor McGregor and Floyd have agreed to terms on a fight

Status
Not open for further replies.

luchadork

mcgregor got outboxed by nate diaz. i'd argue twice. it was closer in the 2nd though for sure. but not decisive by any means. look at the fight metrics and judges score cards http://www.fightmetric.com/fight-details/648396cc751c730d diaz landed way more punches to the head and body. mcgregor won basically off point scoring with leg kicks.

so with that in mind, i dont see how he's gonna stand a chance against mayweather. like. absolutely no chance. it would take some sort of next level insanity for mayweather to throw away 30+ years of experience and get caught against a guy in his first boxing match. like, pure insanity. mayweathers defense is so fucking tight. its the best of all time. to think that he'll let a guy through who couldnt out BOX diaz, like, my head would fucking explode if that happened.

Canelo was 23 years old. That's not physical prime for any male. Canelo's mistake was as you said trying to purely box Floyd. See the Maidana 1 fight for how to go about fighting Floyd. Relentless pressure, not afraid to get hit, rough in the clinch when Floyd tries to hold when you get up close. Maidana was a brawler and not very skilled as a fighter. Floyds even older now and coming off a long lay off. Conor is 12 years his junior and a naturally larger guy.
Conor doesn't get rough at all. He is the same sort of fighter as Mayweather but can knock people out

The real difference will be defensive skill levels in stand up defence. Conor's not bad, but I can tell you that Mayweather never would have gotten smacked around the way Conor did by a fighter like Diaz

if this fight ever happens it's going to be boring. it will just be a defensive clinic by mayweather. i don't understand why people want to see this

mcgregor got outboxed by nate diaz. i'd argue twice. it was closer in the 2nd though for sure. but not decisive by any means. look at the fight metrics and judges score cards http://www.fightmetric.com/fight-details/648396cc751c730d diaz landed way more punches to the head and body. mcgregor won basically off point scoring with leg kicks.

so with that in mind, i dont see how he's gonna stand a chance against mayweather. like. absolutely no chance. it would take some sort of next level insanity for mayweather to throw away 30+ years of experience and get caught against a guy in his first boxing match. like, pure insanity. mayweathers defense is so fucking tight. its the best of all time. to think that he'll let a guy through who couldnt out BOX diaz, like, my head would fucking explode if that happened.
To be fair, Diaz did smack him around abit but he certainly didn't outbox McGregor. A lot of ineffective, slipped and rolled punches from Diaz. He can put volume on but not a ton of effectiveness

Canelo was 23 years old. That's not physical prime for any male. Canelo's mistake was as you said trying to purely box Floyd. See the Maidana 1 fight for how to go about fighting Floyd. Relentless pressure, not afraid to get hit, rough in the clinch when Floyd tries to hold when you get up close. Maidana was a brawler and not very skilled as a fighter. Floyds even older now and coming off a long lay off. Conor is 12 years his junior and a naturally larger guy.

Canelo was absolutely not in his prime. He was also badly badly drained. Go watch the weigh in on youtube, he sits down on chair right by him immediately after stepping on the scale. He can't even stand up, that's how drained he is. Fight was at a catchweight. And that was probably Floyds best win during that later comback period.

And Canelo is clearly a much better fighter right now. And like you said, it was retarded of Canelo to try and box with Floyd. Really don't understand the rationale one bit. Even before the fight Canelo said he wouldn't let Floyd change his normal way of fighting which is to box not brawl.

I don't think Conor is going to be so stupid to just try and win by boxing Floyd from the outside. But, I don't think it will matter. Floyd is incredibly well disciplined and has every trick up his sleeve. He will probably embarrass Conor. Previously I thought Conor had a punchers chance, but even that was probably being overly optimistic.

Yeah, the fight will probably be a boring mismatch. Best case scenario, a mismatch in which you get to see Conor beaten down.

DKehoe

DerZuhälter;240487957 said:
No, but it makes this entire event a joke.

Sure, but prize fighting is always about what will draw money, not what makes for the best sporting contest.

Giving a non effort or having a stupid game plan against a 40 year old with brittle hands way past prime Mayweather makes you a joke. If Conor is the athlete he says he is then an athlete 12 years his senior shouldn't be able to play keep away or out muscle him in the clinch.

You make it sound like how the fight takes place is entirely up to McGregor. Mayweather has decades of experience in making the fight the style he wants and doing it against other high level boxers. Just charging at him isn't going to be a good idea.

Mister Wolf

Sure, but prize fighting is always about what will draw money, not what makes for the best sporting contest.

You make it sound like how the fight takes place is entirely up to McGregor. Mayweather has decades of experience in making the fight the style he wants and doing it against other high level boxers. Just charging at him isn't going to be a good idea.

Maidana was having success doing it and that was three years ago. I don't know how much you follow boxing but the guys that apply relentless pressure on Floyd were the ones that gave him the most trouble and that was when he was regularly fighter. Hes 40 past his prime and hasn't fought in almost 2 years. Did you see his last fight against Berto?

luchadork

Conor doesn't get rough at all. He is the same sort of fighter as Mayweather but can knock people out

The real difference will be defensive skill levels in stand up defence. Conor's not bad, but I can tell you that Mayweather never would have gotten smacked around the way Conor did by a fighter like Diaz

I disagree that they are the same sort of fighter.

Mayweather is waaay more technical and defensive. Conor is so fucking loose and wild. Thats why Conor is so fucking awesome to watch. And Mayweather can be a fucking bore. Mayweather basically takes no risks and just points you out. Conor is fucking aggressive, and goes in for the kill.

You can't even really compare them fairly because we've never seen Conor box. Different glove sizes, longer rounds. It completely changes the style of boxing. MMA uses way more, blunt force, I'd describe it. You've got those little gloves and once that cracks you, you go down. So its a lot more one and done punches. Boxing on the other hand is waaaay more about volume. The bigger gloves means KOs arent as likely, plus the 10 count, and the far shorter rounds, so you're throwing much much more. And you're usually standing down on your punches a bit more throwing longer combinations. MMA is in and out, one and done.

The fact is Diaz has a much more boxers style than McGregor. You've noticed it yourself by describing him as throwing much more volume with less power. And the fact that he was able to finish McGregor in the first and out punch him in the second should give an indication how McGregor might fare against a five division undefeated GOAT.

Haunted

if this fight ever happens it's going to be boring. it will just be a defensive clinic by mayweather. i don't understand why people want to see this
I just want this whole thing to be over so McGregor can go back to actually defend some fucking MMA belts.

He must be so fucking happy Nurmagomedov - Ferguson fell through or there'd be an unanonimous contender to his belt ready and waiting to knock his door down. Like this, the title picture is still muddy and he has the break he needs to get this well-paying freak event out of his system.

I just want this whole thing to be over so McGregor can go back to actually defend some fucking MMA belts.

He must be so fucking happy Nurmagomedov - Ferguson fell through or there'd be an unanonimous contender to his belt ready and waiting to knock his door down. Like this, the title picture is still muddy and he has the break he needs to get this well-paying freak event out of his system.

McGregor has never defended a title in his career. I don't see him doing that now. He'll probably move up and challenge Woodley for the title when he returns though.

darscot

And disappoint anyone gullible enough to think this won't be 12 rounds of Floyd giving a master class boxing seminar.

I agree but it is a fight and anything can happen. That is what is going to make it interesting Conor does have legit knock out power. It will probable be 12 rounds of hoping he gets the shot in and never does but I think it will be make for an exciting fight. Like watching a 0-0 hockey game.

oneHeero

I saw a couple vids on YT of interviews that verify Mayweather has been training more recently, not specifically for a fight but what you'd normally expect a boxer to start doing if a fight was in the works.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I agree but it is a fight and anything can happen. That is what is going to make it interesting Conor does have legit knock out power. It will probable be 12 rounds of hoping he gets the shot in and never does but I think it will be make for an exciting fight. Like watching a 0-0 hockey game.

That's the exact opposite of an exciting fight if you ask me especially considering the fighters involved. More like watching a Hockey game where it starts with the long time major league champions versus a field hockey team playing on the ice for the first time.

Leunam

Mayweather has been hit flush by several people with knockout power and has only notably buckled less than a handful of times. It's going to take more than just heavy hands.

darscot

That's the exact opposite of an exciting fight if you ask me especially considering the fighters involved. More like watching a Hockey game where it starts with the long time major league champions versus a field hockey team playing on the ice for the first time.

I guess it will depend on Conor, the first few rounds will be interesting. If Conor tires and Mayweather just plays D and continues to point away it will be like watching paint dry. If Conor is at all in it, it will be ok. There have been many great boxer vs puncher fights. Conor clips him and so much as scares Mayweather and it could be one for the ages.

maks

And disappoint anyone gullible enough to think this won't be 12 rounds of Floyd giving a master class boxing seminar.

Mayweather can do that against pros. In this match he needs the finish. Conor lasting 12 rounds would look bad.

maks

Knowing Conor, when he loses he'll somehow take it like a chanp and make more fans like he did from the Diaz loss. Well, unless he gets knocked out cold haha!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Mayweather has been hit flush by several people with knockout power and has only notably buckled less than a handful of times. It's going to take more than just heavy hands.

Boxing knockouts often come from combinations that literally overwhelm your brain with crisis signals - so it doesn't have to be a glass jaw or a single ferocious hit it can be rapid accurate rhythmic shots that create a stacking effect.

That's something that happens in MMA but nowhere near as frequently as it does in boxing, for obvious reasons. And that in my opinion will be the main test for Conor.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.

I actually think McGregor would gas before it ever got to 12 rounds and Floyd might actually win by TKO.

I'll bet that as well cuz I bet the odds for that outcome would be really enticing to gamble on.

McGregor can't get past the third round of any fight without basically being dead on his feet. I don't see how he expects to get thru 12 with Floyd. Only way he's gotta think he can win is a KO like he did to Aldo and that shit ain't gonna happen.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I guess it will depend on Conor, the first few rounds will be interesting. If Conor tires and Mayweather just plays D and continues to point away it will be like watching paint dry. If Conor is at all in it, it will be ok. There have been many great boxer vs puncher fights. Conor clips him and so much as scares Mayweather and it could be one for the ages.

The issue is those punchers were actual boxers and not someone from a totally different form of martial art and sport. McGregor has a chance sure but its an incredible long shot.

Mayweather can do that against pros. In this match he needs the finish. Conor lasting 12 rounds would look bad.

I don't think Mayweather would care. He has his strategy and its worked unerringly against the best in the world. Not saying he might not attempt a knock out on a winded and flagging Conor but I don't think Mayweather is going to suddenly change his entire strategy he has been relying on for years just to show boat in a fight against McGregor.

And Diaz was completely helpless in both fights prior to Conor gassing.

Nonsense.

Fight 1, Diaz lost the first round but found his rhythm and Conor's timing by the end of it. Outboxed and finished him in round two.

Fight 2, Conor started out strong with a gameplan specifically designed to negate Nate's boxing by attacking his legs. Conor emphatically won round 1, demonstrating superior speed, and was well on his way to do the same in round 2 until Nate turned it on him and boxed him against the cage. Round ended, still Conor's round, but Nate had the momentum that carried into round 3, which he won handily. Round 4, the decisive round, could have gone either way as it was close but Conor showed heart and won it. Round 5 went to Diaz, who secured a takedown at the end. It was a close fight that went to split decision.

Both fights were very competitive. Don't pretend they weren't and Diaz had all the advantages.

Conor has a lacking cardio base, but Nate came off of a holiday to Cabo and took the fight on short notice the first time around, and had a rib injury in their second fight.

Granted, Conor had a staph infection during their first fight and was on antibiotics, which couldn't have helped his cardio.

Point is, both fighters had shit going on during fights and they still performed. Both fights were bangers because of that.

Bruh. This fight will be the biggest of all time and an absolute joke. I hope it's a UFC card then boxing match and not a strictly Boxing PPV.

i wish the contract was 1 MMA match and 1 boxing match. I would say that Floyd is my least liekd athlete and i would love to see him get his ass kicked, but Floyd is gonna destroy connor in boxing.

This would be one of the dumbest fights in the history of all combat sports. A guy with literally no pro boxing experience would be fighting the greatest boxer of his generation who is also the greatest defensive boxer the sport has ever seen in a boxing match. This almost most feels like the plot to The great white hype 2 where Conor McGregor is in the terry conklin role and Floyd Mayweather is in the James Roper role.

Ronin Ray

Your 100% wrong Floyd and the 300 million he is going to make doesn't give a shit what anyone thinks. This is already a crazy freak show fight and Floyd makes his money on hate. He can do whatever and con people into buying his next crazy nonsense fight.

KillLaCam

Banned
Connor annoys me but I want him to win. It'd be funny to see the overall reaction from the Boxing community.

Too bad there's no chance of that happening

Ric Flair

Banned
I could see it being somewhat competitive in the first few rounds as Floyd is a bit rusty at least. I don't see how Connor can beat Floyd though, he's got the best defense in boxing history as far as I'm concerned

Bobnob

My mate is sticking a grand on McGregor.Yes he knows nothing about mayweather or boxing lol. Plus McGregor odds are so bad looking at the scale of the task.

Yeah these kinds of matchups are weird because either way one party is at a pretty big disadvantage.
i.cfc

gogogow

I actually think McGregor would gas before it ever got to 12 rounds and Floyd might actually win by TKO.

I'll bet that as well cuz I bet the odds for that outcome would be really enticing to gamble on.

McGregor can't get past the third round of any fight without basically being dead on his feet. I don't see how he expects to get thru 12 with Floyd. Only way he's gotta think he can win is a KO like he did to Aldo and that shit ain't gonna happen.

Bullshit. Conor gassed twice and that was when he jumped from 145 straight to 170. Both times against Diaz of course, fighting against a bigger guy. Other than that, the only time Conor reached the third round was against Holloway and Conor didn't gas at all. Fighting Mayweather would most likely be at 155. Not saying Conor will last 12 full rounds, but that's his natural weight and he feels real good in that weight class.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Floyd would absolutely wash Conor. There is no other outcome.

I don't think Floyd takes the fight, under any circumstances. I honestly don't think he wants 50 to come against a guy who never boxed a day in his life.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

I don't think Floyd takes the fight, under any circumstances. I honestly don't think he wants 50 to come against a guy who never boxed a day in his life.

You're out of your mind. This will mean a huge payday for Floyd and he beats Marciano's record.

This is easily the biggest money fight he could do right now, and it will be an easy W and give him bragging rights that he made it to 50-0.

Ronin Ray

What!!!!!! Dude is about to make 150 mill plus for the easiest​ fight he has ever had. I'm not sure you actually know who Floyd Mayweather is. You think Floyd "Money" Mayweather cares about ethics in a sport that has always had freak Show fights and been extremely shady and underhanded. Floyd is a horrible terrible person and a piece of shit but the one thing he's good at is business and making money and you think he doesn't want to fight this guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom