• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consequnces Are Big Part Of Vampyr,Each Kill Will Have Impact On Someone Or Something

NeoRaider

Some new more detailed info:

-Consequences are a big deal in Vampyr, just as they were in Dontnod’s previous game, Life Is Strange. But where once there was teen high-school angst, now the First World War has barely finished and the city of London is experiencing one of the worst pandemics in human history, the Spanish Flu of 1918. And there’s another disease wreaking havoc through the streets of London, one that has conveniently enough turned protagonist Jonathan Reid into a vampire. As the player, that means you’ll need to feed to stay alive. However, picking who to feed on in a city already beset by sickness will leave its mark on the various communities and factions of London.

-“This is the golden rule: you can take the life of everybody in the game, there is no exception, even if it is your own family,” explains narrative director Stéphane Beauverger. “The second important rule is that there are always consequences, there is no free kill. So each time you kill someone, even of a very small level, you will impact the life of people who knew the victim.”

-Taking out a thug could save the life of someone he intended to murder, but it will also have an impact on the thug’s son. Players can immerse themselves in that community in order to determine the rippling effect of each of their kills, or they can blindly feed on whoever takes their fancy.

-“That's just the small level, just the family and the relatives of the victim, but at every second of the game there is a dynamic based on the average health of each district of London - if you kill too many people, if you take just one life, of someone who doesn't seem important or who has no family or no relatives at all, the health condition will go below the critical status and you will lose the entire district.” And when you lose a district, you lose everyone in it: “even the people who were very healthy and you were not aiming to kill, they will be turned into creatures because you went one step too far. There are always consequences.”

-Alternatively, it’s possible to complete Vampyr without killing a single human, reveals Beauverger. “You can finish the game without killing anyone, you can feed on the rats if you want: you will get no experience points, you will just get blood. You will stay very weak but you can to do that.” Likewise, enemies can be swayed if you’re able to convince them of your good intentions: “you are not a real hero, the real heroes are the vampire hunters who try to take you down. You have to deal with the fact that you are a beast and an evil monster and you will have to prove to them through your actions that you can be trusted and are not someone who is completely heartless.”

More: http://www.pcgamesn.com/vampyr/dontnod-vampyr-districts-difficulty

Sounds great.

Zolo

If it has that much reactivity, then I'm guessing it's a small game? Not a bad thing at all if it does a really good job with it.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Hope they actually mean something also for the ending and not something entirely superficial for 1 minute or two and then forget about it in the future.It sounds promising but I gotta keep my expectations in check considering how most games promoting all the decision matter end up not mattering much for the ending and kinda makes your decision not matter as much as they should.

Aikidoka

Good to hear that the consequences are in the form of game mechanics instead of just altered dialogue. Reminds me a bit of the Chaos system from Dishonored, which I thought was a very promising concept. I look forward to seeing just how developed this system is in Vampyr.

It sound similar to what they've been saying before--every life has its value, and every death has its price. Although I think it's the first mention of a "no death" run being possible. It's also pretty cool that they're clearly framing the player as the bad guy and the vampire hunters as the goodies--so often vampire games try to drag down the other side with moral abiguities and shades of gray to make the player feel better about slaughtering them.

The losing a district aspect is how they'll handle wonton killing, I suppose, which is a good way to do it. Otherwise it would feel very gamey and artificial. Although I really hope they make being a big bad vampire just as cool of a path as that of the rat-eater, rather than game over. It will be cool to have that range of approaches.

Also, I found it kind of weird how the article took a sharp turn from "Vampyr consequences" to "UNREAL ENGINE 4, FUCK YEAH" but it turns out the Vampyr article is one of many sponsored UE4 posts. So that is a thing, I guess.

Anyways, I'm really looking forward to Vampyr. DONTNOD's previous games are my cup of tea.
I don't think that it's going to be a complex system like we're most likely thinking of.

It'll probably be a lot of smaller district changes with the occasional larger one. Then if too many people are taken out the whole area is closed off (since everyone died), which will cut down on the amount of rippling consequences--though I imagine other districts would have something to say about it.

SomTervo

Hope they can pull it off.

Seems a bit much that every goon/thug's family is simulated in the game, or indeed that every person in a district is simulated. I have a feeling it will be far smaller scale than they're suggesting. Hope I'm wrong.

Makonero

Hope they can pull it off.

Seems a bit much that every goon/thug's family is simulated in the game, or indeed that every person in a district is simulated. I have a feeling it will be far smaller scale than they're suggesting. Hope I'm wrong.

You'll get a cutscene of a little boy/girl crying, asking where daddy/mommy is and then cut to their dead corpse and you feasting

every time

Aikidoka

It'll probably be a lot of smaller district changes with the occasional larger one. Then if too many people are taken out the whole area is closed off (since everyone died), which will cut down on the amount of rippling consequences--though I imagine other districts would have something to say about it.

It says that the people in the district will turn into "creatures" so it may not be as simple as closing a district.
edit: for instance, maybe monsters crop up in other districts similar to Weepers in Dishonored. Would be cool itself, but I hope that you will still be able to go into failed districts and see them all decayed and stuff.

thumb

Banned
"Consequences" is very broad. The logic to make everything work right just doesn't seem tractable unless the consequences are typically minor and mostly self-contained.

It says that the people in the district will turn into "creatures" so it may not be as simple as closing a district.
edit: for instance, maybe monsters crop up in other districts similar to Weepers in Dishonored. Would be cool itself, but I hope that you will still be able to go into failed districts and see them all decayed and stuff.

Oh, that's a good point.

I have the same hopes!

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I'm not all in favor of "every action has a consequence". It's fine if you like games that challenge, but if you play on easy or normal, it could mean that with each mistake you make, the difficulty level goes up and my enjoyment of the game goes down.

8pTSVjV.gif

I'm joking, I hope the game is as good as LiS.

Humdinger

Life is Strange had some pretty jarring consequences, so I wouldn't be surprised at Vampyre having them, too.

I'm not a big fan of either dark/gloomy games or games about vampires, but I'm on board for this one, just because I liked LiS and trust them to do something good.

This all sounds ambitious and it all sounds like something we'll be looking back on after the game has released and wondering what happened.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I finished LiS last night and loved the hell out of it (can't stop thinking about it, and I'll replay it as soon as I can). This sounds great, and I'll definitely be there day one.

Kinsei

Banned
That sounds great. My very first run will probably result in me feeding on every single person in the town so I'm very interested in seeing the changes of a no kill run on my second playthrough.

dezzy8

I bet it's more like a quest that gives you the option to kill a thug or spare him, then you see the result of your decision. The the game moves on and you forget the son or the family that the thug kills.

It probably won't follow you through the whole game.

They did a fairly good job in Life is Strange even addressing smaller decisions that you made and there were some brutal scenes (emotionally) in that game. I think that they have come the closest to fulfilling that "vision" compared to Telltale or Quantic Dream, I look forward to what they do in this one.

if you kill too many people, if you take just one life, of someone who doesn't seem important or who has no family or no relatives at all, the health condition will go below the critical status and you will lose the entire district

What a pain in the ass mechanic. Taking too much people ok, but one life? Get outta here.

Top Bottom