• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Control Ultimate Edition disc requires one-time online connection to play on Xbox (because of the size of the game)

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
control-banner1.jpg

Control's new Ultimate Edition requires you connect to the internet to play its single-player campaign - but only once, and only for the disc-based version of the game on Xbox.
This is because the disc does not actually contain all of the game's campaign data, the remainder of which is then downloaded. There's no suggestion the game needs to connect online for any other purpose.

"Control Ultimate Edition, including all the latest expansions is over 50GB so we're unable to fit everything on the Xbox disc. We have used Xbox intelligent delivery to provide some content on the disc and the rest via download," the publisher wrote in a statement.

"On PlayStation 4, this isn't the case as Control Ultimate Edition fits on a single disc, due to compression and other variables."

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I dont get it?
Why didnt they just make it a day one update.

Intelligent delivery is meant for when you dont play certain portions of the game, so a person who only plays MP wouldnt need the full day one update to download the SP components and vice versa, if you only play campaign, you dont need a full update that has the MP components of the game.

But is there someone out there intelligently NOT playing Controls campaigns because you know, the most fun part of the game is the settings menu??

Last edited:

sn0man

Honestly, that’s fucking garbage. I’m most likely a PS5 owner but I feel angry for you Xbox folks. Don’t fuck over the disc version. Worst case, just put all the expansion assets as the (OPTIONAL) download. Single player and local multiplayer physical releases locked down by a required internet verification, one time download, or the like is an anti-consumer practice.

You made these physical folks a coaster long term; should be ashamed you didn’t just charge a dollar and add a disc to the box.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Why couldn't they put 2 disks in the box?
Remedy are trying to squeeze every ounce of money out of this Ultimate edition they can.

Man I'd love to know their financials over the last 20 years.. they spent like a decade making Alan Wake, sold the rights to Max Payne to try to fund it... then it flopped (sorry guys, but selling most of your copies at $5 doesn't magically make having "over 1 million sales" not a flop.)

Last edited:

NullZ3r0

Banned
Edit:

This may be more about decoupling the game's development from the logistics of shipping a game. A game no longer has to be done before product is put in the pipeline to be shipped to retailers.

Last edited:
That doesn't make any sense, if they can't fit on the disc let Xbox players download some of the DLC that couldn't fit but make everything else playable off the disc, making the entire game worthless without downloading what couldn't fit is the most retarded way to handle this.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Here's how this works guys:

Remedy dev: So the game doesn't fit on one disk, here are your options blah blah

Remedy exec: Let me interrupt you for one second.. what is the option that takes the least amount of your time?

Remedy dev: Well I already figured out how to do it with smart delivery..

Remedy exec: Sir, you are fired, collect your things and go.

(these motherfuckers are broke as fuck)

AJUMP23

Gold Member
We are coming to the end of a generation that began by being defined by online license checks from the Don Matric run Xbox, to Control needing to connect onetime online to "finish a download". Is Matric working for the control team now?

sn0man

I kind of wish MS would step in here and find a solution for users that didn't require a download to allow execution of a single player campaign, as part of a fucking complete edition that includes other extras that aren't the original single player campaign.

Closer

Maybe it's because One S and One X versions use different assets, I dunno. This is really weird.

Last edited:
Top Bottom