• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coolest Toy You Got In a Cereal Box?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Monster Wrestlers in my Pocket promotion

DRA0cex.jpg

Not sure if these ever hit the states, but Monster in my Pocket were very popular toys in the UK for a couple of years, and the wrestlers were probably the last successful range (I think they were fifth or sixth or something, following the terrible Dinosaur range). The ones in the picture were exclusives to kellogs - you couldn't buy them in shops like the other MWIMP figures.

The Tony the trainer figure was also only in the large 750g/1kg boxes, which was a clever but cruel trick to play on completionists.

I went through so many damn packs of frosties to get them all, I was eating extra bowls in the evening to clear the boxes.

sphinx

the piano man
anyone remember the diving tony that came with frosted flakes??

I am talking late 80's...

il_570xN.826676355_hsoy.jpg

EDIT: Yeah beaten, ok carry on

Leynos

1992-Star-Trek-Next-Generation-Set-of-_1.jpg

You could get the Enterprise, Klingon Bird of Prey, Ferangi Marauder and a Romulan Warbird.

I only ever got one Klingon Bird of Prey and three stupid Ferangi ones, at that point my folks refused to buy any more since I didn't even like Shreddies.

Couldn't find a picture for it but in Captain Crunch you once were able to get a smoggie (one of the bad guys in ye old days trying to be a pain in the Captains ass), these things were cool, you cool stretch them, they felt gooey and they stuck to walls.

The fuck is going on in the drawing in the background? I am trying to parse the image of the shirt, but all I am getting is an ass combined with a button shirt.

The fuck is going on in the drawing in the background? I am trying to parse the image of the shirt, but all I am getting is an ass combined with a button shirt.

Looks like it's supposed to be a 3d arrow on top of a shirt saying that you put the star trek logo where the black bar is on the shirt.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
They were actually lightsaber pens. And they were awesome. On my desk at work right now, my LEGO Wall-E is wielding the Darth Vader one.

You can buy lightsaber chopsticks now. They're great mini-lightsabers.

Peltz

One of EA's NHL games (maybe like 2004?) on PC was redeemable with a few proofs of purchase on General Mills cereals. I remember I needed one more box and begging my mom to get the almost expired one that still had the promo on it. She did and I got the game. It was so cool at the time.

WWF Superstars cereal I got at Dollar Tree came with a flip book of wrassler finishing moves. I had Legion of Doom performing the doomsday device.

Anything I'd remember would be from 1990 forwa rd, can't remember getting anything that wasn't paper or very tiny plastic. Those flip books are the only specific thing I really even remember.

WiseguyMVP

Honeycomb license plates...wow. Forgot about those. It's been so long since we ate the kind of cereal that had prizes. I think I remember the Frosted flakes toys too. And I was just lamenting over the toys in Cracker Jack boxes as well.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

DRA0cex.jpg

Not sure if these ever hit the states, but Monster in my Pocket were very popular toys in the UK for a couple of years, and the wrestlers were probably the last successful range (I think they were fifth or sixth or something, following the terrible Dinosaur range). The ones in the picture were exclusives to kellogs - you couldn't buy them in shops like the other MWIMP figures.

The Tony the trainer figure was also only in the large 750g/1kg boxes, which was a clever but cruel trick to play on completionists.

I went through so many damn packs of frosties to get them all, I was eating extra bowls in the evening to clear the boxes.
These were the first thing to come to mind. Didn't get them all in the end (just ate the cereal at a normal pace) but I did get Tony in the last packet I bought before the promotion ended. The one in the top left corner is the one I was missing I believe.

Another free gift I remember was the frisbees you could get with boxes of Lucky Charms (when they sold them in the UK)

02ApKg5.jpg

Had so many of them and kept losing them in the hedge of my next door neighbour lol

The Ninja Turtle bowls were the best.

I also loved those Cap'n Crunch figures and these:

il_fullxfull.403005750_s2q3.jpg

They were mail-order, though, not included in the box.

That was back in the "6-8 weeks for delivery" age, and 2 months is an eternity in child time, so I had forgotten I ever ordered them by the time they showed up, and it was a huge surprise.

akira28

slightly off topic but still in the same vein as scholocky cheap ways to make fools of children, anyone remember the Create your own GI Joe event?

Jake.

DRA0cex.jpg

ohhhhhh shit, i grew up in the UK and remember these! i only had the sailor looking dude though.

forrest

formerly nacire
Came for the baking soda submarine. Leaving satisfied! This is the one I remember having.

subcerealwhq3q.jpg

I won a pair of donkey kong shoestrings once, but you had to send off for them. Couldn't find a pic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom