• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cops Who Shot Unarmed Man 16 Times As He Laid In Bed ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qwell

Not usually one to do this, I don't know the full story, I don't know if the guy had a wrap sheet, and yes I found this from another forum. I'm sure nothing will actually be done, but at least the guy did get a settlement of $3 million after the incident.

Link to article where "Prosecutors: Not Enough Evidence Cops Who Shot Unarmed Man 16 Times As He Laid In Bed Acted With ‘Malice’"

And another link to an article earlier after the $3 million settlement, and when a judge ruled the shooting justified.

I really do wish they would at least change when a no knock (assuming this was one of those, they don't say, but it sure sounds like one) could be used. I'm sure there are lots of them that happen without issue, but this kind of stuff needs to stop happening, especially with "no fault found" after a huge accident. I would hope the departments at least have an honest post mortem to discuss what went wrong and lead to the bad result.

Did they find crack sprinkled on the man in his bed?

Seriously, it's corruption at its finest. How do you NOT charge motherfuckers because they won't give a statement?

It's not the job of prosecutors to *defend*, but of course this shit happens. Prosecutor offices need to be cozy with the police department, and that results in corruption.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
WOW! Just WOW!

So let me get this straight... The state works out a back-room deal with the victim to essentially pay him hush money and then turn around and have a judge rule the crime the cops committed was justified so that (attempting-)murderer cops can keep their positions.

Fucking WOW! So we have unstable individuals with guns who can unload on us while in our beds roaming free. We have a state that will literally allow tampering of a witness. We have a justice system that can buy the innocence of criminals who commit crimes?!

WOW. just wow...

Browny

Banned
Even if you remove the fact that it was the police shooting him, being shot 16 times and living to tell the tale is quite remarkable.

But the fact that it was the police, and he was asleep? That's some top quality bullshit right there.

And fuck the prosecutors too.

Valhelm

contribute something
I'd take the three million if I was in his shoes. It would be great to see the police department be punished, but that much money will be just as life-changing as the shooting.

But the fact that it was the police, and he was asleep? That's some top quality bullshit right there.

He wasn't asleep. He reached for something under his bed, so the police acted brutally, assuming he had a gun.

Corgi

Banned
I'd take the three million if I was in his shoes. It would be great to see the police department be punished, but that much money will be just as life-changing as the shooting.

curious how much of that cash would be required to rehabilitate. Getting shot 16 times probably not too good for your average human body.

WalkMan

Banned
We have to consider the totality of evidence before we lay judgement. Not enough information in the sparse article.

Qwell

I can honestly say now I wouldn't be surprised to see an article of cops shooting a corpse found in a funeral home at this point.

Ekdrm2d1

So he survived getting shot 16 times? Damn

latest

And I'd like to point out that after surgeries and rehab 3 million is NOTHING. He got ripped off and shouldn't have settled.
That's only one of his lawsuits, he still has another.
He wasn't asleep. He reached for something under his bed, so the police acted brutally, assuming he had a gun.
That's always the police explanation for these shootings though. They burst into someone else's house in the middle of the night and then act like they're the ones with the first right to defend themselves. It's an incredible line of thinking when it's impossible for them to be 100% sure they're in the right house and after the right person.

He was probably just checking his missed texts while he had been asleep.

wildfire

Banned

Well the 2 versions are:

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...d-again-for-2-officers-who-shot-man-16-times/

In their search of the home, Rongen and Thompson fired in a darkened bedroom after Theoharis, according to Rongen, claimed that he had three guns and reached under a mattress

Theoharis disputes that account in his federal suit, alleging Rongen and Thompson fired at him after asking for identification. Theoharis contends that he reached to the floor for his wallet and was turning back with it when he was struck with about 16 shots in the face, arm, legs and abdomen.

I know whose testimony I will believe in light of how the cops refused to give a statement for weeks.

Corgi

Banned
Always wondered...does stand your ground law apply against police?

if I hear noises in my house at the dead at night, ill be lock and loaded for sure.

alterno69

Banned
Always wondered...does stand your ground law apply against police?

if I hear noises in my house at the dead at night, ill be lock and loaded for sure.
I wonder about this too, if you go into someones house unnanounced and violently, what the hell do you expect.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
We have to consider the totality of evidence before we lay judgement. Not enough information in the sparse article.

Clearly the fact he survived means he must have possessed supernatural powers that could have put the cop in danger as he lay there in his bed. Cop may just have prevented a Wolverine berserker rage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom