• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Copying the East, American Comic Book Style!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaeger

Recently I came across some old, blatant lack of original concepts i.e. copying from an old Firestorm villain named Zuggernaut. I shit you, not GAF. ZUGGERNAUGHT. Anywho, this character is a person that bonded with an alien goo thing. From concept to appearance, this is a copy of the manga titular character, Guyver. There even seems to be some panel tracing.

sY1b5rB.jpg

pUlG1Xa.jpg

vr1yUTm.jpg
Of course, in his next appearance his design is totally different. Still bad but for different reasons.

moI78wa.jpg

What other instances do we have of copying, and plagiarism in comic books? These are some examples I was able to remember;

That last panel is from a failed series called "Diesel", which we had a thread for several months back. The whole thing is a prime example of plagiarism and is a massive one of JoJo. That particular scene depicts a blatant rip off of a anime character, Detonator Orgun. I mean, it appears the artist watched a shitload of anime and just said "...fuck it. No one will ever know!"

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Found this while reverse image searching that buff Eva Unit 02.

Those were more of easter eggs rather than plagiarizing.

The story takes placed during Spider-Verse, where we see Spider people from different universes. This particular universe is manga/anime inspired, so they added a bunch of popular characters in the background and some of the designs are inspired by popular animes.\

Here's some other references from that issue.
Akira
pEMJWgh.jpg

Suit is inspired by Unit 02/Ghost in the Shell characters
myExEGp.jpg

Gurren Lagann
IAZy2Jbl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom