• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Core i7-6950X (Broadwell-E) to be first Intel consumer CPU with 10 cores (rumor)

tuxfool

Banned
Why would you prefer that over a 6700k?

If you're doing tasks that scale well to multiple cores. Video processing, code compilation, virtual machines. The extra two cores will still beat out a 6700K.

I should also mention that when I got the 5820k, it was cheaper than the 6700k. It may still be the case somewhere.

mjontrix

Is it worth upgrading to skylake or should I wait for 10 nm next year?
If you can wait for 10nm - cannonlake should last until we move off silicon.

7nm and below are extremely difficult to reach.

And if Zen is any good prices should start coming down.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Wow, after reading the anadtech review I may skip Broadwell-E completely and just keep my 2600k. All I'm doing is gaming at the moment and plan to make the jump to 4k this year.

If you can wait for 10nm - cannonlake should last until we move off silicon.

7nm and below are extremely difficult to reach.

And if Zen is any good prices should start coming down.

I wish I could wait another year and a half for Cannonlake. As it is my Ivy bridge motherboard is in a slow painful deathspiral, so I will eventually have to jump on either Zen if it can give me more power or Kaby Lake once we get those chips. I was kind of hoping to maybe get a 6800k/6850k, but at these prices for this level of performance (mostly in gaming), it's definitely a pass.

Time to build a new PC... I don't know if I need this but it would be cool to see how it translates into pricing for their other offerings.

Kvik

I just might go for the 6850K to replace my 5930K (which wasn't a very good overclocker, tbh). Probably upgrade my RAM as well in the process since 32GB kit costs way less now.

2600k. I've got an ooolllld cpu but don't want to do a huge mobo/cpu upgrade if a new socket is coming out in the next 6 months or more.

I'm in the same boat, old system is 2600k, in the market for a new gaming PC. I'm not really sure what to do for CPU...

Azzurri

I have a 5820k and was looking to see how these new cpu perform, but it seems like it's a huge waste of money.

Sky Chief

And people thought the 1080 Founder's Edition was a ripoff. Face it guys, PC gaming is now under full control of two monopolies and we've hit a brick wall as far as performance gains and cost reduction goes.

Oxn

Why are people wondering how much better it will be than a Haswell-E?

They are still Broadwells and Haswells. You know what to expect.

And people thought the 1080 Founder's Edition was a ripoff. Face it guys, PC gaming is now under full control of two monopolies and we've hit a brick wall as far as performance gains and cost reduction goes.

Yea but at least with this, you DONT have to buy this to get the best gaming performance, because it wont be.

1080 is the best gaming card on the market atm.

Tagyhag

That's insane. I'm sticking with my 4790 for a few years. But I'm glad we're getting places.

Those prices though, lawd.

longdi

Banned
Intel is doing the same crap as nvidia, passing the advances rightback into their pockets, but unlike nvidia, they don't even tried to hide behind some FE, just direct f-u to the consumers.

Guess im sticking with my 5960 4.5@1.22v until AMD brings some competition

d00d3n

I have a 5820k and was looking to see how these new cpu perform, but it seems like it's a huge waste of money.

Yeah, the 5820k seems to be the best choice considering the superior overclock potential. If nothing goes wrong, I will pick up a used computer (except gpu) with a 5820k tomorrow for 900$. Has water cooling and overall nice hardware. Buying everything new would have cost me 1500$ (Sweden has ridiculous sales taxes, 25%), so it is a pretty nice deal.

jogu

Not related to topic but: I have 4770k and gtx 780. Do i need to update prosessor if i update gtx to 1080? Is there much difference?

dr_rus

2600k. I've got an ooolllld cpu but don't want to do a huge mobo/cpu upgrade if a new socket is coming out in the next 6 months or more.

Skylake, Kaby Lake and Cannonlake are all expected to work in the same socket/MB. You'll be waiting for a couple of years before the new socket will be introduced for the mainstream platform.

I'd say that upgrading from 2600K even to 6700K doesn't make much sense though. You should probably sit out a generation or two on your current CPU.

Yeah, the 5820k seems to be the best choice considering the superior overclock potential. If nothing goes wrong, I will pick up a used computer (except gpu) with a 5820k tomorrow for 900$. Has water cooling and overall nice hardware. Buying everything new would have cost me 1500$ (Sweden has ridiculous sales taxes, 25%), so it is a pretty nice deal.

Good choice. I have a closed loop with my 5820k and it tops in the high 40C's under load for long periods. I've got mine OC'd to 4.4Ghz (I could push me but I don't want go much higher on voltages) and I've been in love with it. My 4670k before it was chugging on some games like Arma III and Star Citizen stuff.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Not related to topic but: I have 4770k and gtx 780. Do i need to update prosessor if i update gtx to 1080? Is there much difference?
Unless you need more cores (which you normally don't for games) that Haswell is perfectly competitive to its successors.

Renekton

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles...roadmap_reveals_skylake-x_cpus_2017_release/1

IKJDT90.jpg

The next HEDT in 2017 will be called Skylake-X or Kabylake-X. Only question mark is if Intel will skip Skylake and go straight to Kaby. Zen's price/perf will probably have some effect this time.

d00d3n

Good choice. I have a closed loop with my 5820k and it tops in the high 40C's under load for long periods. I've got mine OC'd to 4.4Ghz (I could push me but I don't want go much higher on voltages) and I've been in love with it. My 4670k before it was chugging on some games like Arma III and Star Citizen stuff.

I received the computer yesterday and everything seems to be working nicely. I am doing a 4.3GHz overclock with 1.22 vcore. CPU core temps have stayed under 70C after extensive testing. The computer is much more silent than I anticipated (notably more silent than my 3570@4.5 on air that I was using previously). I had heard stories about water cooling being really noisy, which was not the case for me at all. I guess it may be more noisy if I ramp up overclocking to insane levels ...

Overall I am really happy with this purchase. Subjectively, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Crysis 3 appears to be running much more smoothly. Seems pretty future proof as well ...

dr_rus

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles...roadmap_reveals_skylake-x_cpus_2017_release/1

IKJDT90.jpg

The next HEDT in 2017 will be called Skylake-X or Kabylake-X. Only question mark is if Intel will skip Skylake and go straight to Kaby. Zen's price/perf will probably have some effect this time.

My understanding is that Skylake-X will be for the new 2061 socket and Kaby Lake-X will be for 1151 in the same way as 4790K/Devil's Canyon was. I don't see why they would have both at the same time otherwise.

Arex

Oh wow that price..
It's good to know that at least I still have some path to upgrade on my 5820k which doesn't require motherboard change, but wow.. 1k for 2 additional cores and 1.7k for 4? Sticking with my 5820k for a long time I guess (not that mine's a bad cpu, but more cores would be nice for rendering) :\

Top Bottom