• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could an almost 6 year old handle a Pokemon game?

StoneFox

I got Pokemon Yellow when I was five and it actually helped improve my reading a ton. It depends on their reading level, but pokemon games are designed to be very kid-friendly, and even if they don't know every word they can still have fun playing it just as every kid I knew did.

In fact, many words like absorb, antidote and fainted were words I didn't understand but I was able to figure out via context. Kids are pretty smart.

Renmyra

You don't even need to be able to read. I played through Yellow in spanish as a kid. You just need to identify what words do what. Not my first Pokemon though so YMMV.

SeppOCE

My first game was Pokemon Yellow at age 4. Not sure how the later titles are to grasp. For me the hardest thing was taking weeks to figure out you could move to the right side of Viridian to pick up Oaks parcel haha

Wamb0wneD

I played my first when I was 6 and a half and I have to say that I had no problems. It was the very first Pokemon game though and a new more bloated entry with all those mechanics and systems might be a bit too much.

I would say no, I have a simillarly aged kid. Text heavy games are unbearable because I have to sit there and read most things. Give it another year.

Maybe the kid likes reading in contrast to yours? Though as mentioned above, maybe the first one would be better simply because they have less complicated mechanics.

balohna

I started to "get" RPGs around age 7. Before that I would rent them and didn't know wtf to do or whate leveling up meant. Earthbound cracked it for me, with the included guide explaining everything I needed to know.

Top Bottom