• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Couple inherits art it can't sell, IRS says it owes $29M in death taxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
so you on one hand you say

On the other you say you don't disagree with income tax or sales tax which is an individual choosing to give you money?

Uhh...

Income refers to something you "earn" usually from a job/company/service such as salaries, wages, profits etc. over a period of time to support your way of life. If someone dead or alive "gives" me whatever for no reason, why should it be subject to sales or income taxes? Its not being sold to me and I'm not earning it due to a service being provided. Its been given to me.

Now if choose to sell said items, I should be subject to pay taxes from the sale because I then sold the item for a profit.

Gaborn

Why? Lots of things that 'can't be sold' are given values. Does the illegal sale of drugs come to a total value of $0?

Still, the notion that the I.R.S. might use the black market in this way to determine a fair market value has surprised some tax experts. James Joseph, a tax lawyer with Arnold & Porter in Washington, noted that the I.R.S. has taxed illegal contraband at its market value, but added: “I don’t know of any instance where the I.R.S. has assumed taxpayers will engage in an illegal activity in order to value their assets at a higher amount. Al Capone went to jail for not paying income taxes on his illegal income, but this is very different than that.”

The USA barely has any family owned farms because multibillionaire companies have bought most of them up. As the taxes on millionaires and billionaires keeps going down because people like you think that they somehow equate to normal, average people and how much money we have. Normal people set up funds on the side to handle taxes for things like your example. However your defense of people who didn't earn millions of dollars is sickening, they gain the most from those taxes because they have stuff that they need prtected.
This is bullshit.

More than 90 percent of farms in the U.S. are family owned. Many contract with large companies like Cargill - and many choose to incorporate because they have multiple generations of family members involved - but they're still family farms.

And estate taxes are a huge issue in the agricultural community, for many of the reasons Kosmo stated.

Az

For some people it's a way of life. Someone else has more than I do. Fuck them.

I think it's equally as sad that you two have to point it out, like you are some superior being. Especially the "fuck them" part.

People think it's a non-issue. You get a bunch of valuable stuff, have to pay taxes on it, still left with a great profit. No issue.

Chumly

Would they not be able to donate this to charity and write off a large amount of taxes? I find it hard to have sympathy for them unless they can't donate it.

I think it's equally as sad that you two have to point it out, like you are some superior being. Especially the "fuck them" part.

People think it's a non-issue. You get a bunch of valuable stuff, have to pay taxes on it, still left with a great profit. No issue.

I think you misinterpreted the "fuck them" part of my post.

After I said "For some people it's a way of life", I was speaking from the point of view of the haters.

The "Fuck them" being directed at the rich people, from the perspective of the person who has less.

But on the bigger topic you bring up, I don't have a problem pointing out some people's skewed views on the world for what they are. I live as a middle class American, and was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth at all, and I carry no disdain for anyone who has more than me, but maybe I'm weird.

Iksenpets

Banned
That is not even what I'm talking about. You cannot give another individual in the United States more than $13,000 a year tax free.

If I wanted to say, give my brother $50,000 this year, to help him buy a house, I would have to pay taxes on that money, again.

No, you pay taxes on the income you've earned, and he pays taxes on his income, including the 50k of income you gave him. That's how the economy works, money changes hands. If your brother ran a lawn care company and you paid him $100 out of your paycheck to trim some bushes, does that mean your brother owes no income taxes on the money he's made that day because you're paying him using money you've already paid taxes on? Taxes are typically (except in the case of property or wealth taxes) levied on transactions, not on the money itself, so yes, dollars are going to be taxed multiple times.

Or to take it to an extreme, if I give my $100 million to my friend, and next year he gives it back to me, am I now magically tax free through the power of gifts?

All that said, I'm 100% in favor of the estate tax. It's pretty much the only tax that doesn't discourage some beneficial behavior, either work in the case of income taxes or consumption in the case of sales taxes. If anything, it encourages productivity by ensuring that the children of the rich have to remain productive instead of relying on unearned wealth inherited from parents. I have no problem with people having lots of money. Wealth is good. I don't begrudge their parents their large estate, but I also think that tax and economic policy needs to encourage the formation of new wealth, and the generational transfer of old wealth is an impediment to that.

This particular case is pretty stupid though. The piece has no value if it can't be sold. They should just donate it to a museum, write it off, and be done with the ordeal.

Also, the fact that you can't sell a bald eagle that's been dead for decades is kind of ridiculous.

The IRS is a joke.

If I give lunarworks $10,000 legally he/she is supossed to give the the IRS, who played no part in that transaction, a cut.

Yet the country is constantly in debt.

Zoe

Would they not be able to donate this to charity and write off a large amount of taxes? I find it hard to have sympathy for them unless they can't donate it.

It's illegal to possess. The previous owner had a waiver.

Kosmo

Banned
I'm saying that the story is clearly more complicated than 'if you can't legally sell it, it has no value'.

Except it's not. The IRS collects taxes on monetary transactions (or transactions that could take place monetarily). Valuing this piece of artwork at $65M and demanding $29M in taxes when no money can legally be taken in exchange for the artwork is akin to a drug dealer leaving $65M worth of cocaine to his family and the IRS demanding taxes on it. Other than the family not being arrested if they keep the art, there really is no difference.

Well, Article I, Section 8, Clause 1 of the constitution gives the Federal government the power to tax to provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States. Also, the 16th amendment to the constitution gives the Federal government the ability to tax income. When someone gives you money, the government may see that money as income.

It's not that far of a stretch to see how your acquisition of money has something to do with the government.

I understand the law, that doesn't make it any less foolish. At the same time, I understand that the government just taxes it anyway, cuz I could see where people would always try have the argument that "I didn't earn it, it was given to me" to avoid taxes. But whatever.

Gaborn

Via NYTimes article

Mr. Lerner said that since the children assert the Rauschenberg has no dollar value for estate purposes, they could not claim a charitable deduction by donating “Canyon” to a museum. If the I.R.S. were to prevail in its $65 million valuation, he said the heirs would still have to pay the $40.9 million in taxes and penalties regardless of a donation.

Zoe - no, it's not illegal for them to possess it.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
All that said, I'm 100% in favor of the estate tax. It's pretty much the only tax that doesn't discourage some beneficial behavior, either work in the case of income taxes or consumption in the case of sales taxes. If anything, it encourages productivity by ensuring that the children of the rich have to remain productive instead of relying on unearned wealth inherited from parents. This particular case is pretty stupid though. The piece has no value if it can't be sold. They should just donate it to a museum, write it off, and be done with the ordeal.

Yep, if they really want to keep the no value piece of shit, take it to a judge. Otherwise just get rid of it. They seemingly want to make make a story out of no story.

Chumly

This is bullshit.

More than 90 percent of farms in the U.S. are family owned. Many contract with large companies like Cargill - and many choose to incorporate because they have multiple generations of family members involved - but they're still family farms.

And estate taxes are a huge issue in the agricultural community, for many of the reasons Kosmo stated.
the estate tax problem for the agricultural community is a giant myth.

KingGondo

Banned
OK. Cool.

Then go about reading this sensationalist piece of journalism, on the same story.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/22/a...-and-taxes-starring-a-stuffed-eagle.html?_r=2
The case is being settled in court, and is more a question of a unique tax situation (that only the very rich will find themselves in) than it is of moral outrage. If the IRS is being unreasonable they'll get smacked down in front of the judge. I honestly have no rooting interest in this story other than people paying what they should under the law--thus, I'm reserving my outrage until the court issues a judgment on the matter.

The Fox News article is designed to inspire outrage from their core readership about the supposed unfairness of the "death tax" and government intrusion into peoples' lives, just like most of their "journalism." That has always been their angle, and to argue that anything coming from Fox News isn't suspicious by simple virtue of the fact that it says "Fox News" is ridiculous.

The IRS is a joke.

If I give lunarworks $10,000 legally he/she is supossed to give the the IRS, who played no part in that transaction, a cut.

Hey, fighting two wars for a straight decade isn't cheap! Somebody's gotta pay all those contractors.

TheExodu5

Banned
If they donated it, wouldn't the person/organization accepting that donation then owe $29 million in taxes? Who in their right mind would want it?

ReBurn

Gold Member
The IRS is a joke.

The constitution also gives the government the ability to spend.

Koomaster

Don't know why people are defending the IRS on this; the piece is not worth anything, they can't sell it, it is valueless to them unless they own a museum or something and can charge people to view it. So why the hell should they pay taxes (any amount) on something that is actually worth zero and brings them no income.

They paid taxes on the other works of art because they were actually worth something and could be sold to pay for those taxes. This cannot.

Maybe they should donate it to a museum; then claim a $65mill tax break for donating to charity.

Cloudy

Banned
Wait a sec...

How can the IRS tax property left to someone else in a will? That's absurd. I assume taxes would have to be paid if ever the pieces were sold to someone else, but in this case, no money is changing hands.

It's called an estate tax. It's in place so folks can't dodge taxes by gifting money to their heirs

ShinAmano

The novelty of this scultpure is that is has a stuffed bald Bald Eagle incorporated within it. It is illegal to even pickup a bald eagle feather from the ground (except for Native Americans on Federally protected land). I think this carries a 25,0000$ fine.

So now the valuation makes sense...they have a whole eagle...if each feather is worth $25K it makes sense.

Still, the notion that the I.R.S. might use the black market in this way to determine a fair market value has surprised some tax experts. James Joseph, a tax lawyer with Arnold & Porter in Washington, noted that the I.R.S. has taxed illegal contraband at its market value, but added: “I don’t know of any instance where the I.R.S. has assumed taxpayers will engage in an illegal activity in order to value their assets at a higher amount. Al Capone went to jail for not paying income taxes on his illegal income, but this is very different than that.”

The highlight should end there...

J-Rod

Screw them. They are rich so that means they are automatically shit heads anyway. They probably drink soda too.

The case is being settled in court, and is more a question of a unique tax situation (that only the very rich will find themselves in) than it is of moral outrage. If the IRS is being unreasonable they'll get smacked down in front of the judge. I honestly have no rooting interest in this story other than people paying what they should under the law--thus, I'm reserving my outrage until the court issues a judgment on the matter.

The Fox News article is designed to inspire outrage from their core readership about the supposed unfairness of the "death tax" and government intrusion into peoples' lives, just like most of their "journalism." That has always been their angle, and to argue that anything coming from Fox News isn't suspicious by simple virtue of the fact that it says "Fox News" is ridiculous.

I guess I've just grown tired of the intellectual dishonesty of "Oh, it's from Fox News, so that means I can ignore that story if it doesn't fit with my political ideology".

Zaptruder

Banned
It boggles my mind that the same money can be taxed multiple times. I made the money, and I paid income tax on it. Then I die, and my son gets the money. Oh, he has to pay income tax on it again!

Fucking ridiculous.

The same money is taxed repeatedly all the fucking time.

I pay sales tax on random shit I buy, after paying for taxes I get from my income, and the profits of the candy bar is taxed from the company that stocks it as well as the company that manufactures it.

Point to the inheritance tax is - you're not been taxed twice for the money you earnt. Your descendants are been taxed for money that they're coming in to. The transference of wealth, regardless of whether or not its between two strangers or direct family members... is what is considered taxable.

TheExodu5

Banned
It's called an estate tax. It's in place so folks can't dodge taxes by gifting money to their heirs

Dying doesn't seem like a very exploitatable way to dodge taxes, seeing as how someone needs to die every time you want the money to change hands.

KingGondo

Banned
I guess I've just grown tired of the intellectual dishonesty of "Oh, it's from Fox News, so that means I can ignore that story if it doesn't fit with my political ideology".
Fox News *should* be ignored entirely. They lose all benefit of the doubt because of how transparently and consistently they support one ideological angle.

neoism

How are they playing the system? From the NYTimes:

This seems FAR outside of normal IRS practices and that's a problem.

lol Fuck those rich people but fuck the IRS more....lol I'm sure the IRS is 100% fair and would never do anything illegal to make more money 400 mill isn't enough huh.....lol If I was the people who got all this I wouldn't pay one more cent. 400mill...lol

pigeon

Banned
It is possible to love the estate tax, assume that billionaire heirs are probably trying to cheat the system, and still think there's something weird about this situation. Regardless of whether it's reasonable to value an object at zero that would be worth millions if not for the fact that it's illegal to sell it (it's not, really), it is technically what the IRS guidelines say to do, according to the piece. That said, the original Forbes piece on this story discusses prior IRS cases where they took the black market value of an item into account when dealing with tax evaders, and case law apparently supports their position, so if the IRS is doing nothing but pursuing the full amount they can expect to recover by existing law, it's tough to criticize them. (I note the New York Times article doesn't mention the existing case law and precedent on the IRS's side, even though it does mention the existence of the Forbes article, and the Fox article mentions neither. Purple monkey dishwasher.)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/janetno...ch-heirs-deserve-a-fair-shake-from-the-irs/2/

This case needs individual judgement -- which means that the court system is probably the right place for it. Fortunately, it's not likely to come up very often, since there's probably only one priceless sculpture containing a bald eagle.

Chumly

I'm certain I know a hell of a lot more than you do.
Sure as hell seems like you don't. I will be getting my inheritance through farm land. I understand how it works. The link posted earlier in the thread showed that basically a handful of farmers are affected.

Patryn

Via NYTimes article

Zoe - no, it's not illegal for them to possess it.

Ok, at this point this is total bullshit. If there's no way for them to realize a value for the piece, then I see absolutely no way for the IRS to claim a $65 million valuation. That's practically entrapment, because it's encouraging illegal actions.

Zaptruder

Banned
Seriously, the people that are using this weird instance to decry estate tax in general need to be thrown onto a libertarian island.

Please enlighten us, the plebes of the estate tax world.
It's pretty simple. A lot of farmers are land rich but cash poor, especially following years of drought like the one we're currently in.

When a parent dies and the children inherit the land, they also receive a massive tax bill that often far exceeds the amount of cash on hand . So they start selling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom